Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I've also had insanely good success with Bell's, Founder's, and Lagunitas (slightly more :effort: but still p easy) labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Victory's labels come off without even getting them wet :haw:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Refractometer question:

My refractometer reads 1.003 on my tap water and 1.000 on water I collected off the top of the lid of a pot (that's like distilled water right). Which one do I calibrate it to if I'm using the tap water to brew?

Mine said to calibrate with distilled water. Does it have a Brix scale too? The gravity scale is not going to be entirely accurate.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Howe Sound's label peel right off all in one piece, plus they sell their beer in 1L Grolsch-tops, so wooo!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Mine said to calibrate with distilled water. Does it have a Brix scale too? The gravity scale is not going to be entirely accurate.

It has both. The thing that's odd is that I'm apparently not sure how it works. I got various readings between 1.089 and 1.095 from the same column of beer that my hydrometer was stuck at 1.098 the entire time with. :iiam:

Drops of water that condensed on the top of the pan-lid read 1.000 (after I adjusted it) and my tap water alone reads 1.003.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It has both. The thing that's odd is that I'm apparently not sure how it works. I got various readings between 1.089 and 1.095 from the same column of beer that my hydrometer was stuck at 1.098 the entire time with. :iiam:

Drops of water that condensed on the top of the pan-lid read 1.000 (after I adjusted it) and my tap water alone reads 1.003.

Is it possible that some sediment settled out while you were taking different samples? That could account for different readings.

I know it took me a while to get comfortable reading the refractometer too. It only takes a few drops at most. When I'm taking samples with a thief I empty the sample into a glass for tasting and then touch the tip of the thief to the window and it's plenty. You want to make sure the whole glass window is covered though. There shouldn't be any bubbles at all. Sometimes tapping the window cover open a little can help get them out but not always. Sometimes I've found inverting it for a few seconds helps get a clearer line. It also helps to try varying the angle the window is oriented to the light source to be shallower to get a sharper line. One single point source (especially the sun) works better than a bunch of can lights in my kitchen ceiling. Cupping your hand around the eyepiece so no stray light gets in helps too. Sometimes there's just a lot of particles in the sample and it never gets a sharp line so you have to be consistent in estimating where the middle of the blurred transition falls. With mine I have a hard time seeing all the way down to the 0.1 brix and stick to the 0.2 marks on the scale most of the time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

meatcookie posted:

Howe Sound's label peel right off all in one piece, plus they sell their beer in 1L Grolsch-tops, so wooo!

These are loving rad bottles to use, also whatup fellow BC brewing goon.

I also use 750ml swing-top prosecco bottles, although I don't bottle much anymore since getting into kegging

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Oxyclean was definitely the thing that I was missing in my label removal. Everything(red hook, lagunitas, harvest, laughing dog, brooklyn, and some other things I can't remember off the top of my head) has been coming off with no effort, except for widmer(some scrubbing required) and the williamsburg alewerks(no amount of scraping, scrubbing, or soaking seems to be able to totally remove them).

As far as super-easy flip top bottles go, we used to love the 500ml Fischer Amber bottles. Yeah, they had a logo on the glass, but they just had one little easily removed label on the top of the bottle, and the beer inside was awesome...too bad you can't get it around here anymore. If I could get my hands on a bottle or 6, then I would probably attempt to replicate it in the near future.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I've been thinking of doing a Founder's Porter clone and wondered if someone with more experience could double check my recipe. This will only be my 4th brew, first time no kit. This is for a 1 gallon batch. Any thoughts? This is adapted from the homebrewtalk threads of people doing different all-grain and partial mash versions of this.

code:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Not Founder's Porter 1Gal Test
Author: Web

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 1 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.034
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.51%
IBU (tinseth): 45.73
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
22 oz - Dry Malt Extract - Light (66.7%)
2 oz - Dry Malt Extract - Munich (6.1%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
4 oz - American - Chocolate (12.1%)
2 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6.1%)
1 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (3%)
2 oz - United Kingdom - Black Patent (6.1%)

HOPS:
3 g - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 32.38
3 g - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 6.02
3 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 6.3
3 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.45
4 g - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.57

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Steep grains for 30 minutes @ 155 degrees in 2.5 gallons of water.  Remove grains after 30 minutes and bring water to boil.  Add first hops @ 60m. Add 2nd hops at 20m.  Add final hops at flameout. Cool to pitching temp as fast as possible and pitch yeast.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
First time using my thermowell on a brew and it was sort of odd. I set the thermostat to 66 and it chilled to 56 (which probably wasn't good for the yeast, I guess I should have delayed pitching it), and it hasn't risen back beyond 62 yet. Then again, the ambient in my house is like 64, so I guess I don't know what I expected. It's fermenting though.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

First time using my thermowell on a brew and it was sort of odd. I set the thermostat to 66 and it chilled to 56 (which probably wasn't good for the yeast, I guess I should have delayed pitching it), and it hasn't risen back beyond 62 yet. Then again, the ambient in my house is like 64, so I guess I don't know what I expected. It's fermenting though.

Starting cold isn't usually a horrible problem as long as you get the temps back up. Which yeast strain are you using?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

Starting cold isn't usually a horrible problem as long as you get the temps back up. Which yeast strain are you using?

It's US05. I didn't start cold though. I pitched it at 69 because I wanted to go to bed and it got all the way down to 57 inside the beer.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

It's US05. I didn't start cold though. I pitched it at 69 because I wanted to go to bed and it got all the way down to 57 inside the beer.

You should be OK, let it warm back up to mid-60s and keep it there, they should finish out with a little bit of effort and some jostling of the carboy/bucket every 12-24 hours.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

You should be OK, let it warm back up to mid-60s and keep it there, they should finish out with a little bit of effort and some jostling of the carboy/bucket every 12-24 hours.

Well, I'm sure its okay, I was just surprised how far below the target temp it went since the wort lost 13 degrees overnight.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just got a really great moonshine hookup and I'm trying to figure out if I can incorporate this into homebrew somehow. It's super smooth and the corny sweetness comes through well. I've seen the moonshine malt liquor kit on Northern Brewer and to be honest it sounds disgusting. I'm thinking some kind of dark rye style beer might work well with it but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Got an email from Brewtoad - 3.0 update on their site.

They have a 'group' function and here is ours. YOUR WELCOME: http://www.brewtoad.com/groups/sa-homebrew

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Predictably, 6 gallons of 1.093 wort in a 6 gallon container has resulted in an epic amount of blowoff and farting coming from my chest freezer.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Jacobey000 posted:

They have a 'group' function and here is ours. YOUR WELCOME: http://www.brewtoad.com/groups/sa-homebrew

It's even based in the area of champions, thanks

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Question for thermowell users - if I've got the probe on my temp. controller inside the thermowell (e.g. inside the beer), does that mean I should set the differential for "1?" I had it set to 3 when it was controlling air temp in the freezer, but it seems like I can and should keep the tolerances tighter this way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

Question for thermowell users - if I've got the probe on my temp. controller inside the thermowell (e.g. inside the beer), does that mean I should set the differential for "1?" I had it set to 3 when it was controlling air temp in the freezer, but it seems like I can and should keep the tolerances tighter this way.

Yes. Even less if you have the precision.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

:homebrew:Last Call for Homebrew Secret Santa!:homebrew:

Yall will be getting matched up and receive notices tomorrow or friday.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jacobey000 posted:

I've joined but drat I need to add the newer recipes to my brewtoad account! Been abit slack adding the new recipes to it since I started using Beersmith2. :(

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 27, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

zedprime posted:

Yes. Even less if you have the precision.

It's a Johnson A419, I think setting the DIF to 1 is the lowest I can go. The liquid itself doesn't seem to actually shift particularly fast, so I don't really see the purpose in making the DIF "3" the way it was when I did air-control since the compressor isn't going to come on very often no matter what I do with the probe inside the beer. I just noticed that with a DIF of 3 it overshoots by a lot and sent the beer back to almost 60.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm drinking a bottle of Barbera I bottled just a tad under a year ago and drat this is tasting good. You might balk at spending $99+ on a wine kit because it's a lot of money to drop at once, but drat, this tastes like a $12-$15 bottle from a store and that $99 got me 2 and a half cases.

I just wish I hadn't traded so many bottles to people for empties.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I'm getting to the point where I need a lot more bottles soon so going to have to do which I never wanted to do and buy empty bottles, I was just wondering is there really any difference between amber bottles and brown bottles UV light wise etc? Just they look pretty much the same but I'm able to buy more amber bottles in bigger amounts for cheaper but another site sell brown bottles and are atad more expensive for less. I know that green/clear bottles are bad but never really found out about amber (slight brown) vs brown (dark brown) bottles.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
What's a good place to buy kegs online? My mom is looking for ideas for me for Christmas and I was thinking about asking for a couple of kegs for the kegerator I should be buying soon. She lives across the country so buying local isn't really an option.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Attention goons!

Homebrew secret santas have been assigned, check your email and post or pm me if you didnt receive one!

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Stoked about Secret Santa this year. My santee is going to get some sweet poo poo, expect the week of Xmas!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

rockcity posted:

What's a good place to buy kegs online? My mom is looking for ideas for me for Christmas and I was thinking about asking for a couple of kegs for the kegerator I should be buying soon. She lives across the country so buying local isn't really an option.

If you're okay with used pin-locks, McEver Distributing has the best prices I've been able to find. They're in florida though, so shipping might end up making them more expensive than something more local to you.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

rockcity posted:

Kegconnection has a black friday deal going.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

The hops deals on Nikobrew are pretty good right now. Just picked up 5 pounds of hops for the coming year for some good prices. I like these guys a lot for their Nitrogen flushed mylar bags. All of my hops previously have been extremely fresh once opened.

Saaz, Styrian Golding, Galaxy, Centennial, and Chinook. Another few pounds of Citra coming from another site once they get stock. Looking forward to the spring already!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
First brew day in far too long here at my place. Even though I got a late start and did not finish until after dark, it was a good brew day and I have some house Pale Ale in fermenters, to be ready for the family Christmas gathering.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fluo posted:

I'm getting to the point where I need a lot more bottles soon so going to have to do which I never wanted to do and buy empty bottles, I was just wondering is there really any difference between amber bottles and brown bottles UV light wise etc? Just they look pretty much the same but I'm able to buy more amber bottles in bigger amounts for cheaper but another site sell brown bottles and are atad more expensive for less. I know that green/clear bottles are bad but never really found out about amber (slight brown) vs brown (dark brown) bottles.
Darker the better technically but its all a big step up from clear or green and I can't really think of any bottles that were brown but slightly less so than others. But is it a problem getting your bottles just drinking beer that comes in them?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Tapped an IPA I did with experimental hops this afternoon; completely crazy flavor profile: mint, some grassiness/herbal, (purple) grape, floral notes. Quite bitter but without that whole 'licking a pine-tree' profile. Interested in seeing how it plays out once fully carbonated and chilled.

My santee is getting a bottle of this fellow.

Also: adding bourbon and oak to the 'over roasted' coffee porter. Homebrew club bros said it'd match well and I'm sure they are correct. Why you join a homebrew club. They know things, taste things that you didn't/hadn't notice/d.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

Darker the better technically but its all a big step up from clear or green and I can't really think of any bottles that were brown but slightly less so than others. But is it a problem getting your bottles just drinking beer that comes in them?

Yeah thats what I thought just wanted to make sure but still think I will have to. Its a silly feeling when you found out a lot of bottles you gave to mates not being returned, I am just going to have to buy 30-50 bottles (since now I've been just buying known beers where the label comes off easy but I can't drink 50 500ml bottles of beer in a week lol.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Fluo posted:

Yeah thats what I thought just wanted to make sure but still think I will have to. Its a silly feeling when you found out a lot of bottles you gave to mates not being returned, I am just going to have to buy 30-50 bottles (since now I've been just buying known beers where the label comes off easy but I can't drink 50 500ml bottles of beer in a week lol.

Not with that attitude

Fluo
May 25, 2007

my son bort posted:

Not with that attitude

Haha!

So today I brewed a basic 4% (ish) British Bitter.

(The two on the right)

Problem is, I don't know never had this before but its got this weirdness too it:

The other one is fine but this one just looks... well like that, first time I done a stirplate starter and put it in didn't really look at it before I added it but is that just the mass amounts of yeast my stirplate made compared to the shake method or has something gone wrong? (Photo taken 3minutes after pitching).

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Fluo posted:

Haha!

So today I brewed a basic 4% (ish) British Bitter.

(The two on the right)

Problem is, I don't know never had this before but its got this weirdness too it:

The other one is fine but this one just looks... well like that, first time I done a stirplate starter and put it in didn't really look at it before I added it but is that just the mass amounts of yeast my stirplate made compared to the shake method or has something gone wrong? (Photo taken 3minutes after pitching).
Just looks like cold break material to me.

I'm about to make my first ever trip to Whole Foods in search of emmer wheat, I want to make a wit using it. I've given up on finding it malted although I know a domestic maltster or two have turned some out in the past. If that fails then roggenbier is next on the list.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

Just looks like cold break material to me.

I'm about to make my first ever trip to Whole Foods in search of emmer wheat, I want to make a wit using it. I've given up on finding it malted although I know a domestic maltster or two have turned some out in the past. If that fails then roggenbier is next on the list.

:doh: I'm a idiot, the chiller I got has improved so much since I've been using a pump (magnetic) for the wort, been able to transfer the wort and it coming out at pitching temp in 10 minutes or so. Prior when I was just using gravity it always no matter how slow the wort was going / how fast the water went it would always be around 30c and last times I've used the pumps I never seen a coldbreak this big. All the small parts settled in around 5-6minutes but 5hours later the big clumps are still there, I guess a day or so it will settle out? It was also the first beer in awhile that I used whirlfloc tablets as the last handful I've done I did it unfined.

Also man, if you were able to get emmer wheat that'd be really exciting to hear how it turned out! :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Fluo posted:

:doh: I'm a idiot, the chiller I got has improved so much since I've been using a pump (magnetic) for the wort, been able to transfer the wort and it coming out at pitching temp in 10 minutes or so. Prior when I was just using gravity it always no matter how slow the wort was going / how fast the water went it would always be around 30c and last times I've used the pumps I never seen a coldbreak this big. All the small parts settled in around 5-6minutes but 5hours later the big clumps are still there, I guess a day or so it will settle out? It was also the first beer in awhile that I used whirlfloc tablets as the last handful I've done I did it unfined.

Also man, if you were able to get emmer wheat that'd be really exciting to hear how it turned out! :D

First time I used whirlfloc it shocked me, too. I thought something was amiss, but it's totally fine, it'll all settle out within a few days.

Also thanks to whoever posted that Kegconnection deal, picked up a tap/regulator combo for a steal...now just to get the co2 bottle, then sweet, sweet kegerator action will be mine.