Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

djfooboo posted:

Didn't see this one coming :rolleyes:

Hopefully the fallout makes GW realize there is a market. Bwahhhh who am I kidding?

Except GW never owned it, and they don't give two shakes about Kickstarter, the products on it, the companies using it, or the people buying from it. Their entire business model is selling as many minis as possible, for as much as possible, as quickly as possible to children before they get bored and try the next hobby, and children neither use KS nor know what Hero Quest was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I thought this thread was all elfgames but it just got linked from the Board Game thread so I guess I will venture a cross-post here about Pandante.

Countblanc posted:

Sirlin just released his Kickstarter for Pandante, a weird semi-casual semi-competitive betting game that sounds pretty neat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-reboot

The bad news is that Sirlin is absolutely dreadful at selling his own product, in my opinion. He's really awkward on camera and makes it sound much nerdier than I think the game would be in actual play.

The good news is that Rodney Smith from WatchItPlayed was kind enough to put up a video detailing the game, and he does a much better job making you actually want it, so watch this instead of Sirlin's video at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2m9HutQUT8&t=700s

I know Sirlin gets some mixed reviews in this thread and elsewhere ("patching" a board game is definitely a weird concept for many), but one thing I like about this project is that it's a designer's take on refining an understood and popular game. This certainly isn't the first time that's been done, but it's still neat and I hope his kickstarter is successful so I can give it a whirl.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I actually have a beta copy of this from the expo he held. It's pretty fun once you get your head around the bluffing mechanics.

Countblanc posted:

Remember that kickstarter I posted about a month or so ago about pandas playing poker? Well it's back, with a much more reasonable pricing scheme and a better, more transparent kickstarter page!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-reboot

Sirlin posted:

• The deluxe version with chips is way cheaper than before.
  • The standard version is $5 off MSRP on Kickstarter.
  • There’s also a travel version.
There are some bonus cards that are exclusive to Kickstarter backers now in the stretch goals. And most notably, there are stretch goals to get the Panda and G.Panda Yomi decks FREE (with the deluxe set). It’s actually unreasonably generous by usual standards given how low the deluxe set is now and how much those Yomi decks cost ($30 last time).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I actually hopped on Pandante for a deluxe the other day, looks really fun.

I also threw in for one of these for my Bag of Holding. They're pretty cute metal d20 pins in a bunch of colors, and they'll ship by Christmas.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 29, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh, that's cute, and cheap enough that the war of cost vs incredible nerdiness is won without a thought.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 5 bucks for a cute little D20 pin is perfect, sold.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Pau posted:

Aaaand Heroquest 25th lasted a whole 3 days, the company doing the whole thing was not communicative enough AND their stretch goals were a complete joke.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25th-anniversary?ref=live

Ha, didn't take long at all did it? It's a shame, I'd have gotten in on this if it had any legs to stand. If only to tuck away for less game orientated family and/or my kids when they're a bit older and because it's a familiar game for me to get involved in with them.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For those who missed the initial kickstarter, Kingdom Death is running a Black Friday sale for 24 hours only. That means anyone can get in as a late pledge for this game.

http://shop.kingdomdeath.com

Good bye Christmas money

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, uh, enjoy your sobbing cheesecake figs, I guess.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Seems incredibly expensive for what you get.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I feel really sorry for you if you're the kind of person who's going to spend money on plastic tits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I notice that it's not expected to ship until Q2 2014. Hasn't it actually been produced yet?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

To be fair I took a look and I don't think there's any cheesecake in he base game but it still doesn't seem worth it at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, I backed a kickstarter that was posted in this forum earlier this year, and I'm super happy I did. The game looked fantastic and I have to say it's one of the better kickstarters I've been a part of as far as information goes.

The game was Galaxy Defenders by Ares Games and Gremlin Project. They just recently released an unboxing video of the final production copy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQJb-Nn9nU

The whole time though, they've been giving steady updates here and there about minor things, but anytime anybody in the comments section of the kickstarter had a question related to the product or wanted an update on where the project was at, estimated shipping and stuff. They were more than willing to give updates (they never did nail down an exact date for when we would receive things, but I can't blame em on that one) and always kept people in the loop and they've been nailing out updates the past month.

Overall, even if the game somehow turns out bad, I'd say that any kickstarter these guys run in the future is worth looking into as it's been very professionally handled the entire time they've been doing this. Now I just have to wait until January (more than likely) to get my copy!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I feel really sorry for you if you're the kind of person who's going to spend money on plastic tits.

Bad case of Haters gonna hate?

--

Too bad the Heroquest kickstarter went (temporally?) down.
World needs more good dungeoncrawler games. Original Descent was way too easy, Doom was impossible & mantics Dwarf king's Hold are only 2-player games.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 29, 2013

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Super Dungeon Explore?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Phoon posted:

Super Dungeon Explore?

Second. It's super dice-based, meaning a really good round by either the Consul or the PCs changes things immensely, but it's tons of fun!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Feeple posted:

Second. It's super dice-based, meaning a really good round by either the Consul or the PCs changes things immensely, but it's tons of fun!

Man, I can't recommend that game. After 1-2 plays I got so bored with it that I could never look back, despite liking the theme and minis.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I am trying to think of a dungeon crawler that isn't heavily based on dice. Dungeon Twister is probably the closest I can think of, but it's also not like a standard dungeon crawler, despite the flavoring. Is the tabletop roleplaying roots of these games restricting them mechanically?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Dungeoneer Card game is a blast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jammu posted:

Bad case of Haters gonna hate?

Have you actually looked at Kingdom Death? One of the minis is literally a decapitated naked woman being used as a bookstand.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jedit posted:

Have you actually looked at Kingdom Death? One of the minis is literally a decapitated naked woman being used as a bookstand.

I'm not shocked that people find Body horror disturbing. That's actually genres intent.
And the Scribes Bookholder does have head. It's just used as lampholder, with spineish thing connecting it to the body.

--

Super Dungeon Explorer looks promising, I'll have to check it out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No one's disturbed, people are calling it out for being sexist trash.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

jammu posted:

I'm not shocked that people find Body horror disturbing. That's actually genres intent.
And the Scribes Bookholder does have head. It's just used as lampholder, with spineish thing connecting it to the body.

--

Yup, sure, it's the body horror people are objecting to. :jerkbag:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jammu posted:

--

I don't think you understand anything about what body horror is. I mean, you're basically doing what every fan of body horror hates, using 'uh it's SUPPOSED TO BE GROSS DUR' as an excuse to defend lovely body horror. If I made a 'body horror' movie of a dude just pulling his eyes out with parasites crawling in them and puking blood it would, technically, be body horror I guess, but it'd also be lazy and stupid.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think you understand anything about what body horror is.

I'm not a genre purist, but when isn't fleshcrafted monstrosities and/or victims not body horror? That's pretty much the whole Shtick of the setting & miniature line. That and boobies (not part of body-horror, except to the horribly repressed).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is not body horror when it is just gross for the sake of being edgy.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Did anyone that has received BattleCON: Devastation happen to pre-order it after the Kickstarter campaign? I did, and I'm wondering when I should expect my copy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jammu posted:

I'm not a genre purist, but when isn't fleshcrafted monstrosities and/or victims not body horror? That's pretty much the whole Shtick of the setting & miniature line. That and boobies (not part of body-horror, except to the horribly repressed).

Because body horror, on paper, has a point beyond being gross. Like, it's gross to prove a point, to create a concept of fear of your own body, the idea that the most constant thing in your world could in theory be turned against you. Like, Alien is a great body horror thing, because the whole point of things like chestbursters and all isn't just 'ew nasty' it's to create the dread that these creatures could be incubating in you and no matter how strong and tough you are, you can't fight a razor toothed worm ripping itself out of your guts.

That or go the Dead Space or The Fly route where the human body gets perverted. The human body gets twisted so you can look at that figure and recognize human bits, which makes it even worse when the shambling mass of flesh and bone wants to eat your skull. You want to empathize with the humanity you see in it but can't get around the fact that it's behaving decidedly inhumanly.

These minis are like if the entirety of Aliens was just chestbursters with no context.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

These minis are like if the entirety of Aliens was just chestbursters with tits.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Famicom Bunko posted:

Did anyone that has received BattleCON: Devastation happen to pre-order it after the Kickstarter campaign? I did, and I'm wondering when I should expect my copy.

You can probably send an email to level99games@gmail.com. I've never used the email, but when I message David through Kickstarter, he's always really responsive barring big events like conventions and whatnot (holidays are probably considered a whatnot). But I did get a Kickstarter update saying that the rest of the Devastation shipments are going out, so maybe your stuff will be in this wave?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because body horror, on paper, has a point beyond being gross. Like, it's gross to prove a point, to create a concept of fear of your own body, the idea that the most constant thing in your world could in theory be turned against you. Like, Alien is a great body horror thing, because the whole point of things like chestbursters and all isn't just 'ew nasty' it's to create the dread that these creatures could be incubating in you and no matter how strong and tough you are, you can't fight a razor toothed worm ripping itself out of your guts.

That or go the Dead Space or The Fly route where the human body gets perverted. The human body gets twisted so you can look at that figure and recognize human bits, which makes it even worse when the shambling mass of flesh and bone wants to eat your skull. You want to empathize with the humanity you see in it but can't get around the fact that it's behaving decidedly inhumanly.

These minis are like if the entirety of Aliens was just chestbursters with no context.

To be fair, the horror of Alien was more the rape/pregnancy angle that the facehuggers conjure.

But you are right in that KD really doesn't have anything to it other then the pinups/shock value of some of the minis. It *could* have some interesting history if the creator ever expanded on it, but he keeps everything close to his chest. As long as he separates the "pinup models" from his story I don't have a problem with it... which he already failed at looking at some of the Monster scenarios.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Don't kid yourself, you don't need to look at pinups to see some of the worst aspects of the hobby on parade. It's a shame because when the designs are good they're good but the extent to which every female model is dressed posed for titilation, and the extent to which it's baked into the very premise is outright disgusting.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Seems Games n' Gears has opened up a few extra cheap slots for people not wanting to pay their full price on boards. Still not quite as good a deal as their early bird slots were but still a decent price for a 6x4 board. Of course if people don't want to pay $100 for a full game board, you could pay $95 plus shipping for a new gaming mat from Frontline Gaming!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Seems Games n' Gears has opened up a few extra cheap slots for people not wanting to pay their full price on boards. Still not quite as good a deal as their early bird slots were but still a decent price for a 6x4 board. Of course if people don't want to pay $100 for a full game board, you could pay $95 plus shipping for a new gaming mat from Frontline Gaming!

Frontline better be careful, Chessex's gaming mats are also called megamats. Dunno if they'll bump into trademark issues or not, but that's cutting things close, even if they are different style mats.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
WWII: The Card Game

Game primarily based on Decipher's Star Wars CCG, using FFG's LCG format for distribution. I've printed out their demo decks, and it really feels like they've worked out much of the weirdness from the old Star Wars CCG (drat you attrition). Check out their BGG blog here for overviews of various parts of the game and some thoughts on design. My only problem is the setting (do we really need another WWII game?), but other then that I'm looking forward to this.

They also send out OCTGN files to backers, so if anyone wants to try it out, give me a shout.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, what's the verdict on the G&G boards? I got in on one of the early bird levels on a friend's advice, so I'm looking at two boards at sixty-two pounds each, free shipping. Is it worth it at that price?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

GrandpaPants posted:

You can probably send an email to level99games@gmail.com. I've never used the email, but when I message David through Kickstarter, he's always really responsive barring big events like conventions and whatnot (holidays are probably considered a whatnot). But I did get a Kickstarter update saying that the rest of the Devastation shipments are going out, so maybe your stuff will be in this wave?

The good news is he's crazy responsive. The bad news is that he's been pulling double shifts to get the Devastation copies shipped, and he just got all of the extras that he was supposed to send out with D, so he's still shipping like it's going out of style.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JackMann posted:

So, what's the verdict on the G&G boards? I got in on one of the early bird levels on a friend's advice, so I'm looking at two boards at sixty-two pounds each, free shipping. Is it worth it at that price?
I think it depends - they are cheaper than the GW Realm of Battle boards, but their quality isn't up to GW standards either. Personally, the only boards I like are the DZC boards, but I'm going to repaint them and rubble them up for Epic - that's worth $100 to me, because there is no way I could find that amount of road section and building pads for that price. I also like the modularity of them.

As for the other boards, I don't see the appeal - I don't understand why people want a battleboard of fields or what is essentially a plain surface. For that, I'd rather get a Zuzzy mat or something similar (though I think they are overpriced for what they are.)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Creepy Chat belongs in the Industry thread. This includes what is appropriate for a minis game or not. The announcement of the creepy kickstarter having a creepy sale has been made, carry on. I am too tired from driving 600 miles in one sitting to do anything other than tell you to take it out of here. And to stop being creepy if you are being creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think it depends - they are cheaper than the GW Realm of Battle boards, but their quality isn't up to GW standards either. Personally, the only boards I like are the DZC boards, but I'm going to repaint them and rubble them up for Epic - that's worth $100 to me, because there is no way I could find that amount of road section and building pads for that price. I also like the modularity of them.

As for the other boards, I don't see the appeal - I don't understand why people want a battleboard of fields or what is essentially a plain surface. For that, I'd rather get a Zuzzy mat or something similar (though I think they are overpriced for what they are.)

I agree with this, I like the modularity of the roads, which is why I've backed for the DZC modern and anima medieval ones, I don't know too many other sources for a 5mm/10mm road board. I'm also getting 6 2x2 mousepad style mats in a sci-fi grey from Deadzone this month, and that is plenty enough to cover all of my urban sci-fi needs. For something open fields though I'd rather just have a nice affordable bit felt, or one of those zuzzy ones if I ever feel confident enough in painting one... though, if my Deadzone ones turn out to be awesome, maybe those Frontline ones are the way of the future?

• Locked thread