Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
How many Gaim subs are out there? Magenta and Nihon were the only ones I was aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Never believe an anon until they actually produce something.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Scratchman Apoo posted:

How many Gaim subs are out there? Magenta and Nihon were the only ones I was aware of.

There's at least three groups that are taking the Æsir Subs and editing them, two to make them more literal (in questionable ways, as neither really speaks Japanese), and one to turn the looseness to 11. Also there's a dude doing basically TVN level dry subs as of this week, though his accuracy is at least acceptable rather than completely offensive, so people who just really hate their English subtitles reading as if they were written by a native English speaker have an option.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Basically people are sperging about the name change of gridon real hard and went as far as to "redo" entire episodes because of it. The subs are terrible as expected.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the Anons on /m/ who's subbing Gaim revealed that he's been working on Blade.

I've seen his work.

No thanks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AzraelNewtype posted:

There's at least three groups that are taking the Æsir Subs and editing them, two to make them more literal (in questionable ways, as neither really speaks Japanese), and one to turn the looseness to 11. Also there's a dude doing basically TVN level dry subs as of this week, though his accuracy is at least acceptable rather than completely offensive, so people who just really hate their English subtitles reading as if they were written by a native English speaker have an option.
I hate my subs putting jokes that weren't there in the first place (Pulperize? Seriously? It's not even funny) and ruining actually meaningful connections just to preserve a joke that wouldn't have made any difference in the series (the whole Sengoku Driver/Ryoma thing). I'm not even touching Ornac since part of me knows it was the best thing to do there, but another part hates the idea of changing the names of characters, and neither is going to agree with each other.

(Nonetheless the Aesir subs aren't bad at all, mind you, they're a big step forward from TVN, and I fully recommend them if you like their style of translation)

I also didn't find NDA nearly as "dry" as you make it look. If anything, I'd say that the one ep they subbed was quite good. Then again, I also don't find TVNihon dry, so I guess I'm just accustomed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've seen his work.

No thanks.

I was about to say, those guys are making subs that are more literal. Nah. I'm good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hate my subs putting jokes that weren't there in the first place (Pulperize? Seriously? It's not even funny)

Pretty sure the phrase used by the belt is a pun that doesn't translate 1-1 so either you throw awkward and try to 1-1 or make a pun that works in English and means something close to the original pun.

It's not putting jokes in that weren't there, it's trying to translate jokes that don't work unless you know Japanese in a way that holds similar or contextual meaning and aren't nonsensical. For example: All of Nossan's Dad jokes, Cancer Zodiart's entire existence (RIP).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pretty sure the phrase used by the belt is a pun that doesn't translate 1-1 so either you throw awkward and try to 1-1 or make a pun that works in English and means something close to the original pun.
Is it? I just hear it say "funsai destroy", which literally translates to "pulverize destroy". I can't find any sources saying there's any sort of joke there.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Cancer Zodiart's entire existence (RIP).
Aesir Sub's Cancer was the best Cancer. :allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hate my subs putting jokes that weren't there in the first place (Pulperize? Seriously? It's not even funny)

We both stand by "pulperize." I guess I'm vaguely sorry you didn't appreciate it. Many people did.

quote:

and ruining actually meaningful connections just to preserve a joke that wouldn't have made any difference in the series (the whole Sengoku Driver/Ryoma thing).

Do you not think that "Sengoku" sounding like Warring States is meaningful? How did you come to that judgment? Can you claim that it definitely isn't meaningful, and back that proposition up? More to the point, how do you know Ryoma's name is meaningful, or at least more meaningful than the Warring States flavor? And if it is, how has Aesir has "ruined" it when it hasn't even been said as of episode 8?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

We both stand by "pulperize." I guess I'm vaguely sorry you didn't appreciate it. Many people did.
That's fine. I just don't see the point in adding a joke that wasn't there in the first place (nor think is right, actually, but to each their own).

Caphi posted:

Do you not think that "Sengoku" sounding like Warring States is meaningful? How did you come to that judgment? Can you claim that it definitely isn't meaningful, and back that proposition up? More to the point, how do you know Ryoma's name is meaningful, or at least more meaningful than the Warring States flavor? And if it is, how has Aesir has "ruined" it when it hasn't even been said as of episode 8?
You seem to misunderstand. Of course the Sengoku period thing is absolutely important, the fact that it's written with XTREEEME (oh god Double flashbacks), which you kept with the umlaut, is not. It's just a fun joke.

On the other hand, that it's named the same as Ryoma, who made it, is definitely important. You can't really say it's not.

I went overboard on the "ruined" thing, and I'm sorry for that. I do thank you for showing me how bad TV Nihon's subs were, and I'm sticking with your subs because, the things I've pointed out aside, they're still pretty good and you've done a great job with this! I just wanted to voice the things I did not agree with, and Aesir's comment section is...not the best place for it (because it's full of people that get incredibly aggresive for a little kid's show. Did anyone compare you guys to Hitler yet?). This is probably a really bad place for it too, but since I knew you had an account here, I hoped you'd read it. I just came across as far more aggresive than I should have, so once again, I'm sorry.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Speaking of Hitler, I saw a gif of a starfish Hitler a few weeks ago, anybody know what show that was from?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr Tran posted:

Speaking of Hitler, I saw a gif of a starfish Hitler a few weeks ago, anybody know what show that was from?

Kamen Rider X, episode 26.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Agent Rush posted:

The Faiz Gear's super-smooth "EXCEED CHARGE" has always been a favorite of mine.

Birth's CELL BURSTO!! is a particular favorite of mine.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Blaze Dragon posted:

Aesir's comment section is...not the best place for it (because it's full of people that get incredibly aggresive for a little kid's show. Did anyone compare you guys to Hitler yet?).

/m/ sure did. We keep trying to get him to nick change to Cäphitler, but alas.

/m/ is kind of awful though (consider this your timely reminder that you, dear thread reader, should not go there).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
/m/ is really terrible. They don't have the appreciation for how utterly ridiculous and awesome most tokusatsu is. If it's not power rangers or super sentai, they hate it with a burning passion, especially the older rider shows.

I like Aesir's subs. Basically any show that I don't have to rely on tv-n for, I'm really grateful.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Well they hate Showa so it's easy to ignore them only off that.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

RBX posted:

You. You I like.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
We talked about ringtones before, I was wondering if there is one with the wizard transformation sfx out there? The one after "Driver On" but before the actual transformation sequence itself. I like it for some reason, and would enjoy confusing and irritating my friends and loved ones with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

The best opinion.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You guys do know it's only a troll who says that, right?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Justin_Brett posted:

Are you suggesting there is content on /m/ that is not trolling?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Certainly not trolling with such dedication behind it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Certainly not trolling with such dedication behind it.

You obviously don't know how dedicated some trolls are then

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
The payoff from watching today's 10-man roll call reminds me how I felt watching MMPR before school 20 years ago. It was awesome and I hope we're treated to at least one or two more before the end—and one better be helmetless.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 1, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Helmetless Cyan and Silver, yes.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Whatever they do with Cyan I'm sure it will be objectively ridiculous. It was hilarious enough seeing Bob Baldwin do the henshin dance.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, but it's disheartening when you're trying to have a discussion about it and some moron is making GBS threads all over the place.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Yeah, but it's disheartening when you're trying to have a discussion about it and some moron is making GBS threads all over the place.

Why are you trying to have a discussion on /m/?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Don't go to 4chan then.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

HKR posted:

Why are you trying to have a discussion on /m/?

Didn't know better!

Don't go to 4chan then.

'kay. I like the conversation here a lot better.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
I love how the VS movie is being advertised mainly as "DINOSAUR TEAMS KYORYUGER, ZYURANGER AND ABARANGER TOGETHER AT LAST!!! (oh, and also the Go-Busters are in there somewhere if you like that kind of thing)!!!"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was looking forward to Enter interacting with the Deboss, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards very much. A shame, because that would be hilarious.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 2, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I was looking forward to Enter interacting with the Deboss, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards very much. A shame, because that would be hilarious.
Of course he will, he's God. :allears: But seriously, Enter needs the chance to be full fabulous with the Deboss. I know he's supposed to be gone and all, so he might get mooked the way Bladerun didn't do much in the Goseiger VS Gokaiger movie, but it would be a waste of such a great villain if he didn't get to. Plus, Jin's supposed to be coming back for this one too, isn't he? Can't bring back the Busters without the two best characters. And J, of course.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Traaaaaaaaains!

Is it to much to want a MagiShine cameo somewhere in the series?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dexie posted:

Traaaaaaaaains!

Edit: I'm a dumb.
A dumb who should watch more stuff, and actually read captions.

(Still hyped for Tokkyuger)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 2, 2013

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That's not their mech. That's the Grand Liner from GoGoV.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

Traaaaaaaaains!

Not just children, but train enthusiasts too!

So, children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Adults, mostly, if we're talking about model trains.

Not sure what merchandise they could make that would appeal to that market, though. Just a train robot might not cut it.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 2, 2013

• Locked thread