Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I already had a loki cover, so maybe this will come in handy on the next round of villain flashahahahahaha no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Widow to 3/5, bring on the black covers!

mania
Sep 9, 2004

WetSpink posted:

Just noticed redISO ends at a different hour to usual, says 2d 16h at the moment where reinforcements says 1h40m left. Guess redISO ends at 8am for me, maybe 9 depending on how they do the rounding.

E: 9am New Zealand time

It's for the benefit of the Euro players. Unfortunately for me it ends at 4 am my time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I'll be smack in the middle of my court call when the red ISO event ends. As of now I'm at 3095, with #4 at 2200. Hopefully my slacker bracket holds on for me.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Two Widows collected, and I had to yield twice in the last two minutes to get there. People aren't afraid of a little Spider-Man - Magneto combo, are they? (Sure aren't if they have Ragnarok.)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I forgot you could yield :negative: I got 25th place for a purple Loki.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What are some good 2-star teams to focus on? I'm starting to outgrow Iron Man now that I have a leveled Thor with 7-8 covers, but aside from Thor+C.Storm, I can't figure out who would fit together that I have access to. I've been leveling Venom alongside those two, because even though he's 1-star, he's a decent tank and he only uses black and purple, so every match gives me something I can use, and my heroes don't compete with eachother for AP.

I have a 1-1-1 Wolverine, and a Cap with 4-5 covers, but they fill the exact same colors Thor does. Thor is what, Red/Yellow/Green? And Wolvy is Green/Red/Passive, and Cap is Red/Yellow/Blue. It seems like a bad strategy to have my heroes compete, right? I also have a 1-1-0 Spiderman who still maxes out at 18, and a couple of one-covers like Ragnarok and Classic Magneto. I do have a Magneto Now who's at 1-0-1 -- is it worth putting iso into him if I find his middle cover?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm number 1 in my bracket with ~1300. I can't imagine grinding anywhere near as high as some people are reporting... that would take several hours a day...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm number 1 in my bracket with ~1300. I can't imagine grinding anywhere near as high as some people are reporting... that would take several hours a day...

I won't be able to maintain when Ragnarok is prohibited. For now I have my Ragnarok and Spidey combination so every match takes maybe 2 minutes at most. Current score of 4118, second place is at 3220.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Pancakes posted:

I'll be smack in the middle of my court call when the red ISO event ends. As of now I'm at 3095, with #4 at 2200. Hopefully my slacker bracket holds on for me.

That's not a slacker bracket. #1 in my bracket is at 1200.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hopefully nobody spergs out at the last minute, I could really use those ironman 40 covers to make my single red into something that I could actually use.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Phenotype posted:

What are some good 2-star teams to focus on? I'm starting to outgrow Iron Man now that I have a leveled Thor with 7-8 covers, but aside from Thor+C.Storm, I can't figure out who would fit together that I have access to. I've been leveling Venom alongside those two, because even though he's 1-star, he's a decent tank and he only uses black and purple, so every match gives me something I can use, and my heroes don't compete with eachother for AP.

I have a 1-1-1 Wolverine, and a Cap with 4-5 covers, but they fill the exact same colors Thor does. Thor is what, Red/Yellow/Green? And Wolvy is Green/Red/Passive, and Cap is Red/Yellow/Blue. It seems like a bad strategy to have my heroes compete, right? I also have a 1-1-0 Spiderman who still maxes out at 18, and a couple of one-covers like Ragnarok and Classic Magneto. I do have a Magneto Now who's at 1-0-1 -- is it worth putting iso into him if I find his middle cover?

Iron Man -> Thor -> Wolverine is the natural progression for your go to sluggers, when covers allow it. As for cap and the whole same colors thing, I typically only level him when he's boosted for an event or something because wolverine dishes out more punishment for me. Whoever you have the most covers for deserves the most ISO, if that'd be your magneto now/CStorm/someone else. Your raw power comes down to having a high level, so as long as you have a character that allows this, you can't go wrong (just don't max out freaking Yelena or Classic Hawkeye).

My 73 wolverine is quickly replacing my 85 Thor and I sometimes have them together anyway just because Thor has that level and over 5k health.

You're on the right track with having Venom on board for purple and black matches. I'm using the new Black Widow (Classic) for that same purpose, not to mention her upcoming new black ability is going to be pretty gnarly. Again, I just happen to have 8 covers for her so she fits that spot. If venom works, use him until you can replace him.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cap is really great for PVE stuff if you've got 5 red or blue on him. At those levels, his shield powers can be used to overwrite timers. And I'm not using his yellow power for its protection ability as much as I am for setting up critical tiles. Not the heaviest hitter, but a lot of utility and a pretty decent tank.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
If wolvie and cstorm both have 39 on Yellow and 50 on Green at max level, who tanks for those colors? Anyone have practical experience? I'm guessing it's whoever is in the middle, if one is in the middle - but I dunno.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I've got space for one more cover at the moment and I need help choosing what I should use.

I assume I should just pick Spider-Man because he's a three star is this the correct choice? Though I have 3 days on him so I could still come up with another 150 coins in that time.

Also my current covers:

Am I leveling my dudes right?

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Sell that Hawkeye Classic!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Evil Vin posted:

I've got space for one more cover at the moment and I need help choosing what I should use.

I assume I should just pick Spider-Man because he's a three star is this the correct choice? Though I have 3 days on him so I could still come up with another 150 coins in that time.

Also my current covers:

Am I leveling my dudes right?

Level JUGGS for a decent guy for PVE events.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Even though it's Spider-Man's worst colour you should definitely keep it because he's pretty good and you'd want at least 3 of them eventually to get max level.

Moonstone is kind of 'meh', but still more of a keeper than Classic Hawkeye - even if you're an idiot collector like me and want one of everyone just in case, you will never experience a drought of Hawkeye covers once you've got a team that does decently in events. I'd sit on it to see if you get the gold from the Red Iso or Prologue missions for a new slot, but if she's about to expire I'd sell that Hawkeye to put her in.

Classic Hawkeye is easily the least powerful character in the game. His only strong point is Arrow Stab is a good countdown remover in PvE, but it takes red AP away from your main direct damage abilities like Repulsor Blast and Mjolnir's Might, while Modern Storm and Juggernaut are both less accurate at it but will shake up the board for much cheaper and without hindering your nuking abilities.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So Bullseye is a decent character, right? I've gotten two of his purple covers and I've pumped him up to max 13 in this tournament. I took the advice here and didn't start till late last night -- I'm aiming at 11-25 for max Bullseye covers and I'm #13 right now with ~340 points. I wish there was some way to see the entire ladder, because I'd feel a lot more secure if I could see how many points #25 had.

I'm trying to get more work out of some of the 2-star characters - I tried out Daken a little bit yesterday, and I'm starting to appreciate the passive tiles a bit more. Bullseye seems more useful than Daken, though -- I can't figure out whether Daken's black passive is decent, useless, or actively detrimental with a Thor eating all the yellow.

fake edit: Good god, is it just me or are the forums incredibly slow at the moment? I don't see an announcement.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Evil Vin - I agree, you should sell Hawkeye classic, and take both. However, if you don't want to do that, you can claim moonstone now, and sell someone else in a few days to take Spider-Man. Once someone is in your collection, you can still sell them to open up space.

Phenotype - I think Bullseye is decent but not great, and Daken gets much better when you get both of his skills to level 5.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Got another Grey Widow cover in a standard pack! I think this would be a good time to spend a few bucks on the game, to support the devs and max my first 3-star character. Let's see: the remaining covers would cost me 18€ (and that's because I already have 1k HP) and I'd need at least two of those 45€ ISO packs to reach max level.

So that's more than 100€ to complete a character who already has 10 out of 13 covers and is lvl ninety-freaking-one :psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah unfortunately pretty much the only thing you can should spend money on is buying some HPs to get slots. I'd throw them $10 if it got me enough ISO to level or even mostly level a character because it would mean I didn't have to grind Shield Training, but it's $15 at the moment for a single level. And the slot machine is basically broken for spending because at least when you needed 50 covers there were much less redundant covers you'd be selling at a significant loss of real cash.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I ended up getting rid of Hawkeye classic, I don't think I ever used him anyway since I didn't like his powers.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Bullseye is fun to run but he has two problems. One is that while his Protect tiles definitely help, it's all about context; against run-of-the-mill matches he's awesome, but against big-damaging skills he can get overwhelmed fast. The other is that 16 Black is a lot of AP to build up to get your critical(s), and I have yet to actually pull off his bonus damage clause, because when do you have 16 Black AND two criticals already on the board? Maybe if you did a critical on High Tech tiles and spammed them, but if you've got that you've pretty much won anyway.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

delfin posted:

Bullseye is fun to run but he has two problems. One is that while his Protect tiles definitely help, it's all about context; against run-of-the-mill matches he's awesome, but against big-damaging skills he can get overwhelmed fast. The other is that 16 Black is a lot of AP to build up to get your critical(s), and I have yet to actually pull off his bonus damage clause, because when do you have 16 Black AND two criticals already on the board? Maybe if you did a critical on High Tech tiles and spammed them, but if you've got that you've pretty much won anyway.

You can abuse Green Storm's 6AP red to make a bunch of AP on those tiles, use them to make two, place two, and destroy high level enemies. I actually did similar on the 9500 HP Maggia Thug in the Red ISO event today by just banking a buttload of black AP and sending it out all at once

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
56 Health Packs should hold me through tonight.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I fell too far behind to get top bracket for red ISO and now I'm torn between losing out on the 250 ISO x ~10 for doing the missions today and hoping I drop to 51-100 bracket for hawkeye, or going for the 400 extra HP, which might be more useful than a character that has a very low priority for me on ISO spending (hawkmodern). And I can probably just sell the single Invisible Woman cover for another 50 ISO too.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I am almost positive I can make top 10 in the top shot tournament, but I don't know if I want to stay one below to get the Bullseye covers instead. I only have one IM40 red cover sitting in my cache, while the Bullseye reward would give me 3 purple and 2 black total; my first black covers for him. The extra 50 hero points would be nice too, since I have purple spiderman, a red and green Ragnarok cover and the aforementioned red IM40 sitting in my cache.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So I'm in the top ranks of my top shot event and I want the rank 2 prize. Should I just check every now and then and tread 1-5 until the end time or grind out as many points as possible?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

What I did to get first in the Reinforcements was try to keep ~1-5 the whole day, and to do so by only attacking people who were a dozen or so points above the current #1 in my bracket, and once I took first I stopped fighting. That way I kept pace with my pack, I was worth the minimum amount of points to other people attacking, and then in the last 10-15 minutes I just attacked solidly anybody that had more points than me to get a good lead on #3 to protect from last minute losses or bracket member wins.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I am almost positive I can make top 10 in the top shot tournament, but I don't know if I want to stay one below to get the Bullseye covers instead. I only have one IM40 red cover sitting in my cache, while the Bullseye reward would give me 3 purple and 2 black total; my first black covers for him. The extra 50 hero points would be nice too, since I have purple spiderman, a red and green Ragnarok cover and the aforementioned red IM40 sitting in my cache.

I'd go with IM40, he's more versatile and much more durable. It'll take you (a lot) longer to level him up, but I think it'll be worth it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

E: never mind, decided 4/5/4 was the best option.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

What I did to get first in the Reinforcements was try to keep ~1-5 the whole day, and to do so by only attacking people who were a dozen or so points above the current #1 in my bracket, and once I took first I stopped fighting. That way I kept pace with my pack, I was worth the minimum amount of points to other people attacking, and then in the last 10-15 minutes I just attacked solidly anybody that had more points than me to get a good lead on #3 to protect from last minute losses or bracket member wins.

Yeah, I figured attacked willy nilly would just lead to be being countered all day. I have been doing pretty well by only retaliating on people that net me 2-3 times what they took.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

McDragon posted:

E: never mind, decided 4/5/4 was the best option.
I agree! Maybe 5/4/4, but I went with 4/5/4 too.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I don't get some people in this game, I killed a 720 rating guy at 250 myself in top shot and he retaliates for -1, so I get 41 more points from him, sweet deal. Top shot is crazy good whack-a-lowbie too, even boosted they only have 540hp at level 6. Fast fights, no boosts needed and no down time. Tempted to make my AFK team daken, bullseye, and wolvie just for passive spam deter tactic.

In other news, now sitting on 28 recruit tokens and 70 health packs, I foresee a patch doing bad things to them. Just want my black widow black covers.

WetSpink fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 2, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A lot of people just attack back whoever attacks them because of stubbornness or the idea that they're "reclaiming" points they lost to an attack without realising they're just feeding their points down to lower rated teams.

You guys need to send me more health packs - I'm down to 12.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Ha. This is kind of the strategy I worked out earlier today. I joined up this morning and sure enough, three big old whales move in to the bracket and start duking it out for the top at around 650 points. I worked my way up to 700, hitting people at the 760 and up range and have watched them plink away at me all day while I grind some red ISO. I'm in 6th now and about 150 behind first place with (by my estimates) probably 300-400 points worth of retaliation on people higher than the top of my bracket.

It's really starting to get to me that I can't hit that 1-2 place prize level ever, even though I can rack up the points and beat any other team aside from maybe max blue Spider-Man. I'm tempted to put some money into maxing out the blue on Spider-Man and the green on Grey Widow and running them with my max red Ragnarok in the hopes of making a team that will at the very least make some people think twice about trying to go up against it. But I really don't want to spend $50 on this game, even incrementally.

E: The worst part is that I have to work at 6:00 AM the day after each event ends so if I want to stay competitive it means staying up until 5.5 hours before I have to get up for work.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Right, got the 1000 point prize. About 300 points above second last time I checked. Gonna just retire now and see where I end up in the morning.

Grabbed everything from the Unstable Iso event missions too. Ended up with 5600 points. Number 1 is about 5000 higher. People really want that Invisible Woman.

Also, fear my big-rear end roster. I can fit 31 peeps in now. Still got four slots too. I've got very collectory about this game now. When the Bag Man tournament arriv- oh who am I kidding he needs like a 1000 percent boost to be any good I'll probably just use the usual Thorverine combo.

Still, got at least one of most heroes now. The daily award is going to give me a Doctor Doom in a few days, then I just need an Invisible Woman when they become available in more places, and that's everyone for now.

They should introduce a third Iron Man and then have a tournament that allows you to use all three together and also locks you into just Iron Men.

Wait, got it, have a crossover and bring in the Scourge Regalia, that looks like an Iron Man suit. Could have a counter like on Classic Storm. Then I guess a skill that hurts him but sets off the counter, and then something else. Car related.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

McDragon posted:

They should introduce a third Iron Man and then have a tournament that allows you to use all three together and also locks you into just Iron Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ironman actually makes a comment that Osborn is going to impersonate him next in one of the red ISO missions. Hopefully that means we'll get an Iron Patriot soon.