Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slate Action posted:

Pirates 2 and 3 are complete trainwrecks that I find really entertaining. Pirates 4 is just boring.

I maintain that if you cut two and three together and pulled half of them out you might get a really good movie in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well I suppose I should reevaluate my Pirates opinions. It has been a few years since I saw 2 and 3.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It felt like someone said, "This movie needs a romance because Sparrow is too distant!" and had it tossed in. You can seriously cut every scene and nothing in the plot changes.

The were trying to follow the source material... but... then didn't

The book On Stranger Tides is awesome and has a lot of characters that map well to the 4 main characters of the first POTC movies... but then Will and Elizabeth arent in the 4th movie (with good reason) so they had to fine a new couple

its all weird.

Just make the 5th one about Jack and Hector, running around, having magical piratey adventures. No love story. No seriousness. Just magical, wacky, pirate adventures.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I maintain that if you cut two and three together and pulled half of them out you might get a really good movie in there somewhere.

2 is a really, really good sequel that retroactively loses value because of how closely it ties with the third one and how terrible the third one is. The third one felt like the producers realized Captain Jack's inherent wackiness was what was drawing most people to theaters and so they cut out as much of everything else as they could from the third and had that long, drawn out desert scene with Captain Jack talking to himself that made no loving sense at all.

Also they killed the Kraken off-screen between movies. What the ever loving gently caress. Who thought that was a good idea?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LightsGameraAction posted:

Also they killed the Kraken off-screen between movies. What the ever loving gently caress. Who thought that was a good idea?

To me, the Kraken works best as an unfathomable force of nature. Killing it on-screen would have ruined that and retroactively make the second film less exciting.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 30, 2013

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I probably haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but I liked the third movie, opening with child murder, Jack in the underworld, the pirate council, and that ridiculous slo-mo shot where the bad guy is walking through his ship as it explodes.
I surprisingly haven't seen the fourth one yet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I liked the Pirates trilogy but I feel like they reuse jokes from the first movie too much.

I didn't care much for Pirates 4, I think it ended on a "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" joke

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

The were trying to follow the source material... but... then didn't

The book On Stranger Tides is awesome and has a lot of characters that map well to the 4 main characters of the first POTC movies... but then Will and Elizabeth arent in the 4th movie (with good reason) so they had to fine a new couple

its all weird.

Just make the 5th one about Jack and Hector, running around, having magical piratey adventures. No love story. No seriousness. Just magical, wacky, pirate adventures.

The 5th one has another new couple in it, and a new female lead for Jack.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I liked the Pirates trilogy but I feel like they reuse jokes from the first movie too much.

I didn't care much for Pirates 4, I think it ended on a "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" joke

But hey...hey...SEA TURTLES, MATE! Get it!?!?! Like in the first movie!

I think 4 was ok, but 2 and 3 were much more interesting, even if they weren't "good." If people weren't constantly changing alliances in 3 I think it might have been the best one, but by the halfway point I had no idea who was actually on which side.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
2 is so goofily plotted (due to being written after the last minute) that it actually emulates that aspect of old serials better than something like Star Wars which has a clear three act structure. It's entertaining in that it just never stops.

At World's End suffers somewhat from having to wrap up so many plots and making the resolution of its romance happen after the credits.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

At World's End suffers somewhat from having to wrap up so many plots and making the resolution of its romance happen after the credits.

Wait, what? I didn't even know there was a post-credits scene in Pirates 3.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
... There's a 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait, what? I didn't even know there was a post-credits scene in Pirates 3.

It's Will coming back to the island after a year and she's waiting for him so they broke the curse or whatever.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's Will coming back to the island after a year and she's waiting for him so they broke the curse or whatever.

No, it's ten years later, because she's waiting with their son.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So Spike Lee responded to the Oldboy poster thing. News flash: Spike Lee is a dickhead.

He Also Has The Annoying Habit Of Capitalizing The First Letter Of Each Word In All His Tweets,Which At Least Doubles The Time It Takes To Write One.YO

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/8361

Edit: Sorry for the mobile link

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 1, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paul Allen posted:

So Spike Lee responded to the Oldboy poster thing. News flash: Spike Lee is a dickhead.

He Also Has The Annoying Habit Of Capitalizing The First Letter Of Each Word In All His Tweets,Which At Least Doubles The Time It Takes To Write One.YO

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/8361

Edit: Sorry for the mobile link

Well the movie is bombing at least. Reading Spike Lee's second twitter response ("Why Should I Pay Someone Who I Never Met Nor Had Any Contact With Ever? He Never Made Any Deal With Me.Why Don't You Pay Me For Your Stupid Text On Thanksgiving Day?") makes me think that he's a giant douchebag and maybe that's the reason for his problems with the studios.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Free Drinks posted:

You're forgetting the best of all, though more so for the movie its self rather than the poster.

Good ol' Slaughter High

I credit this review and film with convincing me to join the forums. God drat, is it a stupid movie.

Strangely enough I've never heard of Slaughter High, but I have heard of Cutting Class

which I originally thought was an alternate title but they're different movies.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Well the movie is bombing at least. Reading Spike Lee's second twitter response ("Why Should I Pay Someone Who I Never Met Nor Had Any Contact With Ever? He Never Made Any Deal With Me.Why Don't You Pay Me For Your Stupid Text On Thanksgiving Day?") makes me think that he's a giant douchebag and maybe that's the reason for his problems with the studios.

He's always had a giant cock on his shoulder, and not a nickel of humility in his pocket. Just a blink back he tweeted what he thought to be George Zimmerman's home address, presumably to instigate violence/retribution/whatever you'd like to call it, only to terrorize innocents whose only mistake was living in a world where Spike Lee believes his whims to be a true North compass.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Stare-Out posted:

On Stranger Tides' priest/mermaid subplot was completely useless on top of being a really bland movie.

I recently remembered there were plans to make some more Jack Sparrow movies so I asked Google only to find that not only had they already made one but that I had actually seen it. Try as I might all I can remember about it is that Lovejoy played BlackBeard and there was a fight in a wine cellar. Were there mermaids? lol
The first one is a legitimately great movie. Anything in the second that falls flat is instantly redeemed by Geoffrey Rush's entrance and, a few set pieces aside, the third is mostly trash. The intro to the third is a wonderful scene that belongs in a much better movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They need to capture a mermaid because their tears activate the fountain or something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Aphrodite posted:

They need to capture a mermaid because their tears activate the fountain or something.

I couldn't recall anything about that movie until I read this sentence, what an awful experience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Lego Pirates of the Caribbean game came out before the movie, and had levels from On Stranger Tides.

This was before Lego games had voice acting, so it was all random grunts and stuff. I'm pretty sure it was actually easier to follow that way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This poster is pretty cool, but it really, really bothers me...due to that tube up his nose. Anyone ever had to do that? That was traumatizing as a child.

Also, how do you guys feel about IMAX putting a stop to the IMAX exclusive posters that were given out during the 10pm/12am screenings? I just found this out today...and drat. I'm a bit bummed out. I finally put up my collection, and they quickly became my favorite posters. Very classy. (Still working on the room, so i'll post pictures when it's done, if you guys want to see.)

But here's what I have.

Say what you will about the film, but the Prometheus poster is classic as gently caress. I need to hunt down the Iron Man Three poster, as well as the Star Trek one. Can't believe I missed those.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:swoon: Oh, I would adore to have these in my wall!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dead Man's Chest felt incredibly rushed writing-wise but my favorite thing about it was Bill Nighy's Davy Jones because the creature effects were and still are remarkable and they managed to preserve pretty much 100% of Nighy's performance. For the whole shoot he wore nothing but a cap, a gray leotard and some dots on his face.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

32: OK girls, last week we survived Highschool. Let's see if we can do the same at a sorority.

the House on Sorority Row

Which was remade as Sorority Row

(this might be the most boring poster for a horror movie I've ever seen)

Sorority Party Massacre

Blood Sisters

Hell Night and the obligatory 'much more interesting Japanese poster'

Sorority House Massacre and Sorority House Massacre 2

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-rama and it's straight to video follow-up Sorority Babes in the Dance-a-thon of Death
(no, this might be the most boring poster for a horror movie I've ever seen)

Sorority House Vampires vs. Vampires of Sorority Row

Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ozmunkeh posted:

I recently remembered there were plans to make some more Jack Sparrow movies so I asked Google only to find that not only had they already made one but that I had actually seen it. Try as I might all I can remember about it is that Lovejoy played BlackBeard and there was a fight in a wine cellar. Were there mermaids? lol
The first one is a legitimately great movie. Anything in the second that falls flat is instantly redeemed by Geoffrey Rush's entrance and, a few set pieces aside, the third is mostly trash. The intro to the third is a wonderful scene that belongs in a much better movie.
They're already working on a 5th one that is coming out in 2016 I believe

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Stare-Out posted:

Dead Man's Chest felt incredibly rushed writing-wise but my favorite thing about it was Bill Nighy's Davy Jones because the creature effects were and still are remarkable and they managed to preserve pretty much 100% of Nighy's performance. For the whole shoot he wore nothing but a cap, a gray leotard and some dots on his face.

Yeah, the CG on Davy Jones is still tough to match even today. I remember they did put a little makeup around Bill Nighy's eyes, just in case they couldn't get the digital version's to look convincing enough, but they didn't end up needing it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

CelticPredator posted:

This poster is pretty cool, but it really, really bothers me...due to that tube up his nose. Anyone ever had to do that? That was traumatizing as a child.

Also, how do you guys feel about IMAX putting a stop to the IMAX exclusive posters that were given out during the 10pm/12am screenings? I just found this out today...and drat. I'm a bit bummed out. I finally put up my collection, and they quickly became my favorite posters. Very classy. (Still working on the room, so i'll post pictures when it's done, if you guys want to see.)

My favorite IMAX poster to date (that I don't have, but want immensely) is the one for John Carter:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hewlett posted:

My favorite IMAX poster to date (that I don't have, but want immensely) is the one for John Carter:

I don't care about John Carter, never saw it, but I want that on my wall anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheJoker138 posted:

But hey...hey...SEA TURTLES, MATE! Get it!?!?! Like in the first movie!

I think 4 was ok, but 2 and 3 were much more interesting, even if they weren't "good." If people weren't constantly changing alliances in 3 I think it might have been the best one, but by the halfway point I had no idea who was actually on which side.
I did like the ship blowing up death scene at the end of the climax in 3

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MikeJF posted:

I don't care about John Carter, never saw it, but I want that on my wall anyway.
Same, except I saw it and it sucked. That doesn't change the fact that that poster is beautiful and I want it like crazy.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I still want to know why they thought the opening scene from Pirates 3 was a good idea.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anywhere selling those imax posters?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ebay's got a ton.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Ximax+poster&_nkw=imax+poster&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Pretty good prices too. I might try and snag one of them Trek posters.

And that John Carter one is pretty cool. Didn't care for the flick, but I wouldn't be against hanging it up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Movie Posters - Pirates Chat ITT

Didn't realise there's a documentary about Kathleen Hanna. I wouldn't be ashamed to put this up on my wall, tbh.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

soapgish posted:

He's always had a giant cock on his shoulder, and not a nickel of humility in his pocket. Just a blink back he tweeted what he thought to be George Zimmerman's home address, presumably to instigate violence/retribution/whatever you'd like to call it, only to terrorize innocents whose only mistake was living in a world where Spike Lee believes his whims to be a true North compass.

Well he is going to be pretty hosed now - posting Garcia's work on his facebook page with (C) Spike Lee on the images is textbook copyright fraud. I hope he gets sued so hard that he loses everything. Maybe when he's begging for change in the gutter he can recover a basic sense of human empathy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LeJackal posted:

Well he is going to be pretty hosed now - posting Garcia's work on his facebook page with (C) Spike Lee on the images is textbook copyright fraud. I hope he gets sued so hard that he loses everything. Maybe when he's begging for change in the gutter he can recover a basic sense of human empathy.

It's very likely its been settled, considering the open letter and Lee's Facebook post which instigated it have been taken down. His Twitter posts are still out there for perpetuity, reminding everyone forever of how big an rear end in a top hat Lee is.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ShufflerZero posted:

Hell Night and the obligatory 'much more interesting Japanese poster'

Nah, the American one is much cooler here. Great pulpy, 50s-horror-comic style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Wendell posted:

Nah, the American one is much cooler here. Great pulpy, 50s-horror-comic style.

I was thinking the same thing. Pulp-comic Goosebumps/Creepshow type horror is always good in my book.