Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

It's like she's actively spitting in the face of translators. I know I hated it when Latin deliberately used the wrong tense.
Or... wait, I might be reading it wrong. Using the perfect tense to describe an event that's already taken place is the right tense. I guess it's just Ibuki being weird and using the "first meeting" greeting for someone she already knows?

Latin rarely uses the wrong tense deliberately. Which text are you referencing?

If it's a lexicography, there is a reason they cite those uses. Because they are weird and unusual. If it's Virgil, for instance… Virgil NEVER uses a wrong tense. It is always precisely right for the occasion.

But the described use of the perfect tense is appropriate to both Latin and Ancient Greek.

Finally, Ibuki is loving Metal. I can't help but like her dedication to Trash and Death Metal. Her bandmates didn't like her style? Forget them. The Metal will live on! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Delta Green posted:

Latin rarely uses the wrong tense deliberately. Which text are you referencing?

My Latin teacher had us do the occasional "find what's wrong with these sentences" and occasionally she'd throw in a misused tense and I missed those almost a lot. It probably tainted my view of all the actual texts.

Bifauxnen posted:

Playing actually good death metal instead of cutesy anime J-Pop? So this is why Ibuki is Super High School Level!

Cutesy anime J-Pop was Maizono's thing, being the SHSL Idol.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Phelddagrif posted:

Everyone except Owari is presently accounted for, right? I was honestly expecting a murder to occur during that song.

I'm kinda glad a murder didn't happen. So far, both killings have taken place during a group get-together or on the way to such a gathering. Were someone shot/stabbed/poisoned/garroted during this, the game would have developed a poor pattern...

Although, apart from Celes's betrayal and Mukuro's death/re-death, this is technically a reverse of all the other murders in DR #1 where three killers and Junko set all their poo poo up after curfew. Here in DR#2 people are awake and active during the kills, and in some cases right next to them when they occur.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Are Souda's eyes bleeding or trying to eat themselves?

Yes.

I'm honestly kind of surprised. There's no hostility or paranoia going on here at all. Even Saionji's trying to move on in the wake of her best friend's death. So what's going to change all that?

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

orenronen posted:

The scariest/funniest thing about Souda is the fact he's already got loving shark's teeth. With his mouth agape like that, he looks like he's going to eat you out of sheer terror.

The funny thing about me is I've literally never heard a female vocalist perform Death Metal before. That was all kinds of awesome. I'm sure they have female Death Metal-ists now that I've thought about it, but up until now it never really occurred to me.* Anyone have any examples I could check out?

* Probably because I associate Death Metal with bedrock deep gravelly voices from what I have heard of the genre. To be honest, I haven't been exposed to much Death Metal.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
You had me at "Titty Typhoon"

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Drakli posted:

The funny thing about me is I've literally never heard a female vocalist perform Death Metal before. That was all kinds of awesome.

Remember, this is not an actual death metalist performing here - it's Ibuki's voice actress, Ami Koshimizu, singing. This is an actress whose best known role to western gamers is Yukiko in Persona 4. Granted, most westerners heard a different actress doing that role, but still.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
This might be a dumb question but is the entire game voice acted, or just certian parts?

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
Just certain parts, plus the trials. Orenronen has links to audio clips of the voiced parts where they appear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

This might be a dumb question but is the entire game voice acted, or just certian parts?
Certain parts. The trials are fully voiced, but during the walking around talking to people sections they usually reserve the VAing for important scenes (the characters introducing themselves for the first time, Ibuki's concert)

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

Ibuki's voice actress did a pretty awesome job! It was totally unexpected. This game just keeps surprising me again and again.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Am I the only one that got a bit of an Arch Enemy vibe from that song?

The growls in the song definitely made me think of Arch Enemy.

By the way, Drakli, you should definitely check out Arch Enemy if you're interested in a Death Metal band with a woman as lead vocals. Angela Gossow has an amazing death growl.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That was amazing; and yeah, I was wondering if that was her normal voice actor doing the vocals. That's gotta be pretty different from her normal day at the office.

Drakli posted:

The funny thing about me is I've literally never heard a female vocalist perform Death Metal before. That was all kinds of awesome. I'm sure they have female Death Metal-ists now that I've thought about it, but up until now it never really occurred to me.* Anyone have any examples I could check out?

It's possibly more metalcore, but Iwrestledabearonce are fantastic. Their (previous) vocalist would shift from Bjork-influenced vocals to death-metal growling in the one song.

There's also Kitty I guess, but I don't like them nearly as much.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

orenronen posted:

This is an actress whose best known role to western gamers is Yukiko in Persona 4.

I completely forgot about this and the mental image this summoned is completely and utterly hilarious to me.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Drakli posted:

Have I got a band for you, then. I assume this is at least close to death metal, I've never been good at genre identification.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Drakli posted:

Well you've got your Arch Enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9AcG0glVu4

or your Agonists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXzIeI0mkFI

or your OTEPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSVUUiLGZ0

just off the top of my head.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
God bless you Ibuki.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tesseraction posted:

Well you've got your Arch Enemies or your Agonists or your OTEPs just off the top of my head.

There's also the more relevant DOLL$BOXX, where I could easily see Ibuki fitting into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2z4Uf9Tgc
(skip to 1:15 for the start of the song)

That Bitch Ugly
Dec 29, 2008
Um, you're clearly all forgetting everyone's favorite Japanese jazzcore art-punk band, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYzgFx-9s4o

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

That Bitch Ugly posted:

Um, you're clearly all forgetting everyone's favorite Japanese jazzcore art-punk band, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYzgFx-9s4o

Yep, I was thinking Midori and another band in the same style, also from Japan, that I can't remember the name for the life of me.

EDIT: Trudged thru my Youtube history and found it, band's called 385: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUB_nY_DYA

Dias fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 1, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Dias posted:

Yep, I was thinking Midori and another band in the same style, also from Japan, that I can't remember the name for the life of me.

Melt Banana?

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

How about Japanese grindcore with female vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZn0zYLwp88

Or on the blacker end of the spectrum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3DZj0Xe2QQ

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is going places. Great places. :allears:

I haven't properly given a poo poo about the deeper end of metal since about 2010, only female fronted bands I still keep up with are iwrestledabearonce (who are simply amazing) and In This Moment (who are more typical metal, like this, and straight up awesome), so I'm loving these recommendations. I think my car's playlist is gonna get a whole lot heavier soon. :black101:

EDIT: Does Cradle of Filth count as female fronted? I can't remember if she's lead or just supporting...

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 1, 2013

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Yes.

I'm honestly kind of surprised. There's no hostility or paranoia going on here at all. Even Saionji's trying to move on in the wake of her best friend's death. So what's going to change all that?

A new motive!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I guess I should post something about the Dangan Ronpa Fan Meeting, the all-day event I've been to the day before yesterday.

It took place at the Makuhari Messe convention center in Tokyo. I forgot that the train line going there also stops at Tokyo Disneyland, so I was kind of baffled why the train was absolutely packed with people wearing Disney accessories until we actually passed it and most of the people got off. Most of the remaining were clearly there for the DR event, if the proliferation of Monomi cell phone straps was any indication.

I got there about an hour before opening time and the line was already hundreds of people long. It went extremely fast once the doors opened, though, as Japanese lines tend to do. The event took place at two large halls of the convention center. One was completely devoted to the stage shows that ran throughout the day, and was where I spent most of my time. The other had everything else - large displays of the posters that ran in Tokyo train stations to promote the anime, a school trial set you could take your picture in, a drawing wall for people to draw DR fan art on, a display of future DR merchandise (there's a Sakura figure/mini-statue that looks amazing) and a large shopping area that always had a crazy line to get in and then another crazy line to get to the registers. I got in late in the day when the lines relaxed and the most popular merchandise was already sold out, but all I wanted was the event's t-shirt, so all was good. By mid day there seemed to be about two or three thousand people in the place, and about three women for every man. Lots and lots of people in cosplay - enough that I think I've seen every possible character covered. I didn't take any photos, though, since I hardly had any time away from the stage area and the place had very strict rules about taking photos without permission from the subject, but there was some amazingly detailed costumes.

The stage area had four live events through the day, and I've watched them all. It started with a creator/fan trivia challenge hosted by a couple of Famitsu editors who posed some really obscure DR trivia questions to producer Terasawa, director Marutani and writer Kodaka and when they couldn't answer turned the questions to the audience. Sample questions: state the exact title of DR1's sixth chapter. What's Dark God of Destruction Jum-P's title? etc. (A guy in perfect fat Togami cosplay answered that last one, apparently the only one in the audience who knew).

The second show was a live recording of the DR animation radio show/podcast, hosted by Megumi Ogata (Naegi/Komaeda and the usual DR cast representative). She had three guests: Kirby herself Makiko Omoto (Maizono), Masaya Matsukaze (Hagakure) and Hekiru Shiina (Celes) who was dressed in a Celes costume the entire day and hardly ever broke character (though she did comment at one point the dress would have looked much better on her twenty years ago). Ogata was her usual bigger than life self, Matsukaze is a hilarious guy. The other two seemed a little lost.

Next was a live demonstration of the Dangan Ronpa card game that's distributed with the anime DVDs. This is a take on Mafia/Werewolf where each player is assigned a character from DR1, each with a special power, and there's a night/day cycle where someone is killed and the players try to determine who the murderer is. Ogata, Omoto, Matsukaze and Shiina played their official roles and were joined by anime director Kiishi playing as Mondo. The killer got away with it both sessions they did.

Next was a "spoiler-full stage discussion" between writer Kodaka, "DR Kirigiri" writer Takekuni Kitayama and Seikaisha Fictions editor Katsushi Oota. This was mostly Kitayama and Oota assaulting Kodaka with questions about his intentions with some of the characters and with the revelations and developments near the end of DR2. It was a fascinating talk, and confirmed that some of my own thoughts about the story were intentional. One thing I can give away here is Kodaka and Kitayama's top 3 strongest characters list (strongest as in "who'd win in a fight"). Kodaka had Sakura first, then Kirigiri (who he thinks of as sort of a Batman-type character who'd win in almost any fights regardless of physical strength), and then Nidai. Kitayama also had Sakura first, but then Souda ("He could build a tank which no one except Oogami could stop") and Kirigiri.

Finally was the day's big event - a full live show. Masafumi Takada played a few game tracks with a full live band (god, it was great hearing the DR theme played live). Omoto and Shiina did their anime image songs (Celes's song is completely new and was played for the first time. Had an ALI PROJECT vibe to it), and Oogata did all three of her DR songs.

Finally, they announced an even larger DR fan event coming in February. I expect there to be actual game announcements then, but sadly I won't be in Japan anymore.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Were there bodybuilders cosplaying as Sakura? Please say yes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

orenronen posted:

By mid day there seemed to be about two or three thousand people in the place, and about three women for every man.
That's really interesting. Any idea why?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, that same thing seems to hold true for the western fanbase too, from what I can tell. The tumblr fanbase for Dangan Ronpa seems to be almost entirely women.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

My Latin teacher had us do the occasional "find what's wrong with these sentences" and occasionally she'd throw in a misused tense and I missed those almost a lot. It probably tainted my view of all the actual texts.

Ah. I feel your pain, as I did too.

Now that I understand when tenses are being used correctly or not, I get to play "Why did he knowingly use that tense?". The answer being most often "Homer did it, and Virgil is imitating the Greek/Eolian syntax in Latin".

Virgil is amazing as a poet. He's also a loving bastard in those occasions.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Kitayama also had Sakura first, but then Souda ("He could build a tank which no one except Oogami could stop")

This is my favorite part. I'm not sure whether it's because of the idea of Souda being the second-best combatant of the combined casts or because of the idea that Sakura could totally beat up a tank, but it's still my favorite part.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I like the "Kirigiri is Batman" comparison, because the obvious extensions of that are "Naegi is Robin" and "Junko is the Joker", both of which are quite appropriate.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CandyCrazy posted:

I like the "Kirigiri is Batman" comparison, because the obvious extensions of that are "Naegi is Robin" and "Junko is the Joker", both of which are quite appropriate.

I don't think Kodaka actually used the Batman comparison when talking about Kirigiri, but he did specifically mention the Joker when asked about why Nagito acts the way he does in SDR2. He wanted a completely unpredictable adversary - one whose reasonings the reader can never quite understand.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CandyCrazy posted:

Funny thing: Batman actually has a teacher named Kirigiri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirigi_%28DC_Comics%29#Kirigi

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 2, 2013

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Funny thing: Batman actually has a teacher named Kirigiri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirigi_%28DC_Comics%29#Kirigi

That character's name is Kirigi, not Kirigiri.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

orenronen posted:

One thing I can give away here is Kodaka and Kitayama's top 3 strongest characters list (strongest as in "who'd win in a fight"). Kodaka had Sakura first, then Kirigiri (who he thinks of as sort of a Batman-type character who'd win in almost any fights regardless of physical strength), and then Nidai. Kitayama also had Sakura first, but then Souda ("He could build a tank which no one except Oogami could stop") and Kirigiri.

I'm a bit surprised that Ikusaba didn't make the list, being the Super High-School Level Soldier who was built up as being just about unkillable if she hadn't been punked by Junko.

Nidai's probably the toughest of the SDR2 cast(excepting edge cases like Souda building a tank or Gundam training a polar bear), but I'm not sure he's that tough.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Wyvernil posted:

Nidai's probably the toughest of the SDR2 cast(excepting edge cases like Souda building a tank or Gundam training a polar bear), but I'm not sure he's that tough.

.... He has lightning eyes. How can you even top that!?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oliver Crowley posted:

That character's name is Kirigi, not Kirigiri.

Well, crap. That's an embarrassing mistake.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 2, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I thought we've been over this. I don't care how many people know about the bonus stuff in SDR2 - do not mention them in this thread until we get there. Please delete that comment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My mistake. I thought that short novel was included in the first thread, but in retrospect that was linked to the page on TVTropes.

Won't happen again.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Well, that was a fun surprise. I might have expected something closer to X Japan with some crazy Yoshiki-like behavior, or whatever, but this was... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolumeZero
May 2, 2012

flatluigi posted:

There's also the more relevant DOLL$BOXX, where I could easily see Ibuki fitting into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2z4Uf9Tgc
(skip to 1:15 for the start of the song)

I just want to thank you. I didn't know about DOLL $ BOXX before now. I am now in an eternal love struggle with mai waifu Hana.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread