Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Trip report from 2.3.31 on Nexus 10 running 4.4: everything still seemingly works, but the lag while scrolling seems to be gone. I assume this is thanks to the new webview :)
You probably had hardware acceleration turned off, my N10 has never had any kind of lag in Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ihmemies posted:

Trip report from 2.3.31 on Nexus 10 running 4.4: everything still seemingly works, but the lag while scrolling seems to be gone. I assume this is thanks to the new webview :)

Any reasons you're not updating to at least 2.4.4?

Tunga posted:

You probably had hardware acceleration turned off, my N10 has never had any kind of lag in Awful.

Nah, Awful tends to lag a bit when scrolling fast on a <4.4 N10. Though that should not be a problem any more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I noticed that the thread layout option is disabled for my 5" 1920x1080 device, says "This screen is too small for tablet mode". I realize you are better informed than I on UI, but if I want an awful browsing experience on my Awful app browsing the Awful forums, it ought to at least be possible to enable it, right?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

I noticed that the thread layout option is disabled for my 5" 1920x1080 device, says "This screen is too small for tablet mode". I realize you are better informed than I on UI, but if I want an awful browsing experience on my Awful app browsing the Awful forums, it ought to at least be possible to enable it, right?

The "tablet view" only makes it so Forum Index and forum view are fit on the same screen. I guess I should just force that and remove the option now that the thread view looks the same on both device types.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I have been wondering about something related, the last couple versions of Awful on my OG Nexus 7 refuse to do anything but tablet view no matter what I select, even though phone view works fine on the current Awful (and the last couple versions) on my TF201. Tablet view drives me nuts, it's so busy.

Unrelated: are we going to get back the option to manually choose thread element colors? I miss real black post backgrounds. :ohdear:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

N5, 4.4

Disable pull-for-next - unchecked
Pull-to-refresh distance - 33%

Pull for next is not working when pulling up from the bottom. It does show the "white pull glow", so the app is registering the pull. If I pull from off screen up from the bottom it launches Google Now.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

N5, 4.4

Pull for next is not working when pulling up from the bottom. It does show the "white pull glow", so the app is registering the pull. If I pull from off screen up from the bottom it launches Google Now.

Works fine for me on the same device and settings. Only bit of odd behavior Is that the message at the top reads "pull to refresh" whether or not I'm trying to load the next page, but I'm not sure how easy an alternate message would be to implement.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Running 3.0.4 on my old 2.3 phone has an issue where if I'm reading a thread and tap on the drop down arrow I get two windows on top of each other. One is labeled "select an action", the other "thread actions" (iirc) both have the same options (post reply toggle bookmark etc.) but one has larger font.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

N5, 4.4

Try scrolling left and back next time and see if that fixes it.

Technogeek posted:

Works fine for me on the same device and settings. Only bit of odd behavior Is that the message at the top reads "pull to refresh" whether or not I'm trying to load the next page, but I'm not sure how easy an alternate message would be to implement.

I tried this with what we have and it didn't work out very well. I need to update the P2R library, after that'll I'll try again.

spankmeister posted:

Running 3.0.4 on my old 2.3 phone has an issue where if I'm reading a thread and tap on the drop down arrow I get two windows on top of each other. One is labeled "select an action", the other "thread actions" (iirc) both have the same options (post reply toggle bookmark etc.) but one has larger font.

That's a workaround we had to put in place. Due to a bug with the Actionbar library we need for pre HC devices, the menu didn't show up at all and had to be emulated. So either they fixed whatever was wrong in the library and it found it's way into the latest version, or you're an edge case and'll have to deal with it for now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

That's a workaround we had to put in place. Due to a bug with the Actionbar library we need for pre HC devices, the menu didn't show up at all and had to be emulated. So either they fixed whatever was wrong in the library and it found it's way into the latest version, or you're an edge case and'll have to deal with it for now.

Ok well this is my backup phone as my main HTC One X is broken yet again so I'll :dealwithit:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This might just be me but since getting an N5 I'm constantly refreshing the page when I'm trying to scroll due to the position of the refresh button on the page indicator. It's a good thing I'm not left handed or I'd be constantly moving back a page.

Would it be possible to move the touch areas for these elements inward from the absolute edge of the page bar?

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I don't recall my Awful app updating recently, but thanks for whatever you guys did. My pull for refresh/next wasn't working for the past few weeks. It's functioning fine now. I'm on a stock Nexus 4, FWIW. Can't recall if the problem manifested when I updated to KitKat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's no way to tell if a thread has been moved to the comedy gas chamber currently

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I don't actually know the workings of the goldmine(s). Are threads there closed? Can you still post in them?

Any suggestion how to indicate it, other than the hierarchy-up action going to the goldmine as it currently is?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

I don't actually know the workings of the goldmine(s). Are threads there closed? Can you still post in them?

Any suggestion how to indicate it, other than the hierarchy-up action going to the goldmine as it currently is?
I was going to say goldmine.css, but I guess there isn't one like there is for the gas chamber. Instead, there's .forum_21 stuff in the forums.css. Maybe you could check for that?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I was going to say goldmine.css, but I guess there isn't one like there is for the gas chamber. Instead, there's .forum_21 stuff in the forums.css. Maybe you could check for that?
Sereri is asking for ideas on how to indicate to the user that the thread has been goldmined/gassed (i.e. the thing Hadlock asked for), not how to detect it.

I'm struggling to think of a good way. Thread title colour?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

Sereri is asking for ideas on how to indicate to the user that the thread has been goldmined/gassed (i.e. the thing Hadlock asked for), not how to detect it.

I'm struggling to think of a good way. Thread title colour?

Well he's not necessarily wrong. Making another stylesheet for the goldmine and GC would probably work. Whether or not I'm happy about that solution is another thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Forced animated background of raining gold coins from a Geocities page

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Forced animated background of raining gold coins from a Geocities page

Ugh, no gifs. How about a looping ka-ching sound instead?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does Webview still support Marquee and Blink elements?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Even if it doesn't, hopefully the CSS marquee properties will come to the rescue!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Dark One posted:

Does Webview still support Marquee and Blink elements?

Blink's been dead for awhile, though you can replicate it easily enough with CSS animations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would just make the background of the thread title a sickly green color, maybe make the thread title text a beige color, or black

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Make the :frog: a :dukedog:. It's subtle and isn't affected by people using different themes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Make the :frog: a :dukedog:. It's subtle and isn't affected by people using different themes.
I'm pretty sure that has to be the app icon.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure that has to be the app icon.
By default it is, but you can trivially override it to be anything you want.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Sereri posted:

Looks pretty much like the standard config apart from the wifi-images.

Is this something that happens in every thread or just some? Does it happen after a while or can it happen immediately?

I'm having the same black box issues. I read threads every night through the app, and never had a problem until today. I ventured into GWS, read the first page of the wine thread just fine, skipped to the second to last page...black boxes everywhere at random. Random sizes, random locations. Final page was the same issue. If I went to other pages & came back, boxes would reappear in the same spots they were before for that particular page. I did click on an avatar once to expand it, which made the closest black box vanish, but it came back when I minimized the avatar. Also, one of the boxes had a smilie with it that didn't belong, considering it was half over the lettering mid sentence.

I've now had it a few times in this thread, but nowhere near as many as I had in that wine thread. I'm on a HTC One X, and version 4.1.1

Switching pages within the thread, the boxes would keep showing up the the same spots for their specific pages. Having left the thread completely, I just went back to check & had no black boxes.

Edit: I cleared my cache, turned on the function to have images load even if I've already seen them, & went back to see if it would happen again. It was all fine, so I clicked an avatar since that affected things before. Still no black box issues, but now doing that caused a post from (I assume) someone else to be plopped on top of everything. It only happens with that one person's avatar, only that one post from them, and it's the same post overlayed every time. Even after leaving the thread & returning, it still happens.

http://imgur.com/u0c1IAU

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 3, 2013

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Been using and loving this app for a long time. Since upgrading to Kit Kat on my stock Nexus 4, the terminus mono font no longer works for thread browsing. Threads themselves are fine, but the forums/thread titles are blank when browsing.

I realise I'm probably the only person who uses the font, but I love my POS damnit. On the plus side I've discovered the sexy dark theme.

Running 3.0.4 on 4.4.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

AF posted:

I don't recall my Awful app updating recently, but thanks for whatever you guys did. My pull for refresh/next wasn't working for the past few weeks. It's functioning fine now. I'm on a stock Nexus 4, FWIW. Can't recall if the problem manifested when I updated to KitKat.

I guess I spoke too soon. :( P2R/4N isn't working. I get the white glow signifying the end of a page but no prompt for P2R/4N.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Just ran into this little bug: the-pull to-refresh bar went black until I restated the app.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sometimes my back button gets replaced with a very squished screencap of a post or something, and my "pull to refresh" turns avatar-sized in the lower right-hand corner. But this happens when I tilt the device mid-pull-to-refresh.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think 4.4.1 broke the P2R in the thread view. Can anyone confirm this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any chance of having a way to sticky a few favorite forums like on the other Awful app? Otherwise everything has been great.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

I think 4.4.1 broke the P2R in the thread view. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, looks like it. Stock Nexus 4 on 4.4.1.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hadlock posted:

N5, 4.4

Confirming that I have this problem on my (Sprint) Nexus 5 and that swiping out to the left and back fixes it once. Then when the new page loads it is broken at the bottom of that one again.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just uploaded 3.0.5 to the beta channel. It contains a fix for the P2N bug on 4.4.1+ and I've added Glimm's immersion mode as an option for KitKat users. It's off by default.

If someone has time to spare but doesn't want to jump into Awful itself, getting an updated fork of the ActionBar-PullToRefresh library with pulling from the bottom might help with the P2R issues.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Sereri posted:

Just uploaded 3.0.5 to the beta channel. It contains a fix for the P2N bug on 4.4.1+ and I've added Glimm's immersion mode as an option for KitKat users. It's off by default.

Ah poo poo sorry man, I meant to send a pull request for that proper like.

Just been a crazy month or 2 at work it's really killed my motivation at home :(

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sereri posted:

If someone has time to spare but doesn't want to jump into Awful itself, getting an updated fork of the ActionBar-PullToRefresh library with pulling from the bottom might help with the P2R issues.
Alright, I will try signing up for the beta on my phone. Incidentally I noticed that the other problem I posted way back with marking last read happens on my old kindle fire but not the N5 so the different Android versions might affect it. On the fire it shows "Marking last read" then goes away and the post background colors don't change. On the N5 it shows "Post marked" and updates the post colors like I expect.

These are of course incredibly picky unimportant problems so thanks for reading them at all, really.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Glimm posted:

Ah poo poo sorry man, I meant to send a pull request for that proper like.

Just been a crazy month or 2 at work it's really killed my motivation at home :(

Nah it's okay, you did most of the work. I just imported the changed file and added a settings option, 5 minutes of work. Thanks again :)

Mu Zeta posted:

Any chance of having a way to sticky a few favorite forums like on the other Awful app? Otherwise everything has been great.

I've created an issue for it but honestly don't expect it any time soon.

/E: meanwhile in the G+ community:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Sereri posted:

Immersion mode is very nice indeed.