Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I was really proud of my son when he shoulder surfed the unlock code for my phone at the age of 10. He has physical access to all my hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

User turns their back for just long enough for someone to type "cat /totally/secure/password/store".

You're assuming that the user also has root access, I take it?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're assuming that the user also has root access, I take it?

The security level accessed by that authentication token is available to the user without root privileges. In the scheme being described it means that a laptop left alone for a minute has the keys to the kingdom available to anyone who wants them. Automated exploitation also becomes much easier, there's basically an exploit API.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

The security level accessed by that authentication token is available to the user without root privileges.

Huh? The authentication agent which retrieves the password as part of the login process (pam_unsuck) has root privileges. The user doesn't have free access to that authentication token.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Huh? The authentication agent which retrieves the password as part of the login process (pam_unsuck) has root privileges. The user doesn't have free access to that authentication token.

The goal here, appears to be "allowing" the user to just shove all their passwords into the keyring which unlocks on login. This means anyone with physical access to a machine, even for a moment, that has been logged in to is wide open for exploitation. The token itself may not be open (I assume no-one is daft enough to allow storing the sudo pass in the unlocked keyring, well I hope so) but if you can do everything with it you would otherwise be able to do if you actually had it then you don't need the actual token.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fritz posted:

you sure l/L/fancyL are variables and not spaces or w/ever

l is a single layer, L is the whole set of layers, script L is what the author writes when he wants to indicate l but there are 1s and other ls in the same part of the formula for either variable names or iterators

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The goal here is to allow passwordless methods of authentication, such as autologin and fingerprint, that allows the user to login through alternative methods, and have access to all their data without additional prompts.

Yes: a currently open session as a user will offer you to perform actions as if you are the user. I'm not sure what's so groundbreaking or broken about this. People can send emails as you, tweet as you, and (thankfully) post to these forums as you.

If you're away from your computer, lock your session. It's a simple keybinding (either Ctrl+Alt+L or Super+L work fine)

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

The goal here is to allow passwordless methods of authentication, such as autologin and fingerprint, that allows the user to login through alternative methods, and have access to all their data without additional prompts.

This is kinda like making a car you can use without having to find your keys.

quote:

Yes: a currently open session as a user will offer you to perform actions as if you are the user. I'm not sure what's so groundbreaking or broken about this. People can send emails as you, tweet as you, and (thankfully) post to these forums as you.

Posting to the forums as me I don't care about anywhere near as much as spend money as me or send signed emails as me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it is almost as if Zombywuf has literally no idea how the Windows Data Protection API or the iOS/OS X Keychain Services work.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

This is kinda like making a car you can use without having to find your keys.

Besides the part where you actually have to log in, sure. Yes, somebody can drive your car if you don't lock it and leave the keys in it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
:iiaca:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

it is almost as if Zombywuf has literally no idea how the Windows Data Protection API or the iOS/OS X Keychain Services work.

It's almost as if Gnome has nothing to do with these.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Besides the part where you actually have to log in, sure. Yes, somebody can drive your car if you don't lock it and leave the keys in it.

You mean I have to use my keys *every time* I want to use my car?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You can leave the keys in it if you're feeling risky or if you're comfortable nobody will take it (I leave my keys in the car when I park my car in the garage. No, this isn't an analogy), but yes, you need to lock up your machinery when you're in a place where you feel like you aren't safe.

I don't see how this is any different from Windows or OS X.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't see how this is any different from Windows or OS X.

it isn't.

well, except they have TPM support, which means in addition to a user-specific protected storage encrypted using a key derived from the user's password, they also have a machine-specific protected storage encrypted using a randomly generated key that is stored in a location that can only be accessed by OS software satisfying the TPM's chain-of-trust requirements

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you're away from your computer, lock your session. It's a simple keybinding (either Ctrl+Alt+L or Super+L work fine)

seriously this is one of those bogus you're-already-past-the-airlock things raymond chen is always bitching about

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
like, seriously zombywuf, if you have any suggestions about making it more secure, we're all ears. but allowing the user to login with fingerprint and then showing a password dialog immediately after is not a good user experience. the user chose not to log in with a password!

also:

<Jasper> I have a field complaint from a user who's mad about seahorse.
<Jasper> """I use GPG, I get a passphrase prompt - so far so good. I use it again: no prompt. No options to enable Seahorse to make it forget. No options to time it out. No options to disable the drat thing on launch. Everything depends on it. gpg-agent already running, no problem Seahorse will just take over. I HAVE A STRONG PASSPHRASE I HAVE GONE TO THE TROUBLE OF REMEMBERING AND SEAHORSE IS RENDERING IT WORTHLESS."""
<stefw> ...
<stefw> nothing to do with seahorse per-se ... but yeah, that is a use case we don't cover very well
<stefw> without disabling the gpg prompt
<stefw> i'm not against such an option though

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

seriously this is one of those bogus you're-already-past-the-airlock things raymond chen is always bitching about

tbc was... right???????

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i refuse to loving believe tbc reads the old new thing

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Share Bear posted:

l is a single layer, L is the whole set of layers, script L is what the author writes when he wants to indicate l but there are 1s and other ls in the same part of the formula for either variable names or iterators

it should be almost immediately obvious why this is dumb. any moderately complicated problem becomes a complete mess of trying to hunt down parenthesis, tracking tons of stuff over multiple lines, and other poo poo. you can start simplifying equations by chunking it up into other variables, but then you have to somehow describe them and have the same abstraction problem. just read the text around the equations, god drat

challenge: rewrite maxwell's equations with verbose variable names. probably also need to unpack and redefine the gradient operator, i guess without special notation for derivatives because thats also too hard. then solve some simple problems, then try to solve some graduate level E&M problems

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i refuse to loving believe tbc reads

lol i thought that was tef

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

someone needs to buy tef and shaggar their old avatars now that we're used to the new ones

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

like, seriously zombywuf, if you have any suggestions about making it more secure, we're all ears. but allowing the user to login with fingerprint and then showing a password dialog immediately after is not a good user experience. the user chose not to log in with a password!

There is no way to make fingerprints secure.

For my use case, I would like Thunderbird to ask me for my passphrase every time it wants to sign a message as me. Basically I want the timeout option back in. I'd like Gnome to stop impersonating GPG agent like they own the entire loving stack.

I am not the only one http://askubuntu.com/questions/349238/how-can-i-clear-my-cached-gpg-password

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

There is no way to make fingerprints secure.

we all know this, but fingerprint login are required by gov't agencies. they're dumb and stupid, but it's a sell to them. the user chose to be "insecure" like with passwordless login (i don't have any password on my user account on my laptop -- its all disk encryption, which is more secure), we shouldn't bother them any longer.

the same thing will be true with non-local logins. something people are asking us for is a chrome-like system where you auth with your google account, and enterprise login is another case to think about

stef already filed a bug for the option to have the gnome-keyring daemon not save your gpg key password.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
making your poo poo insecure to get government $$$ seems counterintuitive somehow

:nsa:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yep. fingerprint auth is super dumb, but its "the future" to a ton of places (not just the govt), and we have to support it.

those places are less secure, but imo its not our place to tell them what they can / cant do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
and tbh its probably better than the passwords that those people would choose anyway

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

stef already filed a bug for the option to have the gnome-keyring daemon not save your gpg key password.

Cool, although this has lead me to look at the current outstanding bugs, I'm sad now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
are you guys saying thumbprint auth is bad cause thumbs are stealable/thumbprint readers aren't very good or do you think the resulting scan data cant be stored securely ?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
clearly what i want for a secure authentication mechanism that proves it's me is something that is on everything i touch, ever

also all of the above

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Share Bear posted:

ugh, script L is a bad choice there, just put a hat on l IMO.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

In some countries fingerprint readers became popular on cars to prevent carjackings. Carjackers started stealing fingers.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

fritz posted:

ugh, script L is a bad choice there, just put a hat on l IMO.

hats are for unit vectors and estimates

best imo is subscript and doing s != r type thing

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
do people at least have to scan their finger every time? at least ios does that i think

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i know you like to be snarky, but it's the interaction between user-resizable windows, different-sized content, and scrolled views that's hard. if you do it wrong, you'll lose the scrollbar's place on resize, or when you add new content, it will be in this tiny little window since the new content was meant to be in a larger window. it had a lot of issues when we tried it out with user testing, and most of them went away when we fixed the window size.

"it's hard" is not a defense when your competitors have managed to do this since 1998

kde will happily let you resize your control panel while also supporting bidi text, arbitrarily high DPI, dozens of foreign scripts etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

also:

<Jasper> I have a field complaint from a user who's mad about seahorse.
<Jasper> """I use GPG, I get a passphrase prompt - so far so good. I use it again: no prompt. No options to enable Seahorse to make it forget. No options to time it out. No options to disable the drat thing on launch. Everything depends on it. gpg-agent already running, no problem Seahorse will just take over. I HAVE A STRONG PASSPHRASE I HAVE GONE TO THE TROUBLE OF REMEMBERING AND SEAHORSE IS RENDERING IT WORTHLESS."""
<stefw> ...
<stefw> nothing to do with seahorse per-se ... but yeah, that is a use case we don't cover very well
<stefw> without disabling the gpg prompt
<stefw> i'm not against such an option though

admitting that you can't be arsed to support a use case is not the same as actually, you know, supporting the loving use case

gnome 3 does less than gnome 2 did. it does less than kde 4 currently does. it's just a really awkward environment

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

admitting that you can't be arsed to support a use case is not the same as actually, you know, supporting the loving use case

i said i would relay it to stefw and post the results. a bug has been filed, and patches are being worked on. i cant promise a complete feature an hour after it's requested.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"it's hard" is not a defense when your competitors have managed to do this since 1998

kde will happily let you resize your control panel while also supporting bidi text, arbitrarily high DPI, dozens of foreign scripts etc

last time i tried this, it kept forgetting my scroll window position when i went to/from pages, and kept resizing itself when there was new content so it would fit itself on the screen anyway.

browsers have the same problem too. i'm not saying it's technologically impossible, just saying it's really hard to provide something that feels clean to the user. the new control center shell rewrite will be a resizeable window.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

are you guys saying thumbprint auth is bad cause thumbs are stealable/thumbprint readers aren't very good or do you think the resulting scan data cant be stored securely ?

the former

how do you revoke a thumbprint after it gets uploaded to the pirate bay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

"trust me, we're going to do all the hard-but-necessary stuff in the re-write" --gnome 3