Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sprat Sandwich posted:

That's cause he kept killing and replacing them.

Spot. Spot-A. Spot-B. Spot-C etc.

Well, I just got a disturbing image of Data just petting his first cat mindlessly to death because he doesn't know his own strength.

"Oh no, now Picard will never let me take care of the rabbits!"

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Brawnfire posted:

Well, I just got a disturbing image of Data just petting his first cat mindlessly to death because he doesn't know his own strength.

"Oh no, now Picard will never let me take of the rabbits!"

"Tell me about the rabbits, Geordi!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tony Montana posted:

I always thought Data owned pretty hard, although his poo poo gets formulaic after a while but so does everything in TNG. That's why I said he was cooler than Kira.

Kira could beat Data in a fight.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

Well my dad could beat BOTH OF THEM so there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2Voj-LPuo

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 3, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

LeafyOrb posted:

So I've been playing FTL recently and it made me realize how much I desperately want a larger scale Star Trek themed version of that game with sims-like life simulation. It'd be hard to figure out how the multiple decks thing would work, but it'd be great.

There are a couple Kickstarter games that sound like that. They're both funded, but we'll have to wai ti see if they're any good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coldricegames/interstellaria

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That looks amazing.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

Mental image.

Kira, screaming, swearing, kicking and spitting. Data with a bemused look on his face, a single hand extended and placed on Kira's head - holding her at arms length. Data wonders if this means he is going to get laid again, thinking of Tasha fondly.

Data hit that. A robot man that can't understand simple humor.

Data owns. Case closed.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 3, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Vagabundo posted:

It's a spoon.

No, it's a whale with a severe overbite!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tony Montana posted:

Mental image.

Kira, screaming, swearing, kicking and spitting. Data with a bemused look on his face, a single hand extended and placed on Kira's head - holding her at arms length. Data wonders if this means he is going to get laid again, thinking of Tasha

I was thinking more her doing a terrorist bomb which is admittedly less "a fight" and more "robot murder."

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Excuse me, Kira. You seem to have given me an explosive buried in this cake with a bow. My robot-sense has detected the compound and trigger. I'm sure you meant this in error, would you like me to return the device to you after I've cut the cake?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 3, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrABWb9VIQ

Worf appreciates fine beverages and architecture.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Worf takes his baseball seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22YyheMW-c

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Angry Salami posted:

Obviously, they should have joined Blue Squad or Yellow Squad.

Grey squad. :geno: Grey squad. :geno: Grey squad. :geno:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

Excuse me, Kira. You seem to have given me an explosive buried in this cake with a bow. My robot-sense has detected the compound and trigger. I'm sure you meant this in error, would you like me to return the device to you after I've cut the cake?

This would probably induce a post-war PTSD flashback as to how her only brother died while cutting into a cake at his Prophetmitzvah, which would begin with tears and end with her yelling at Bashir until Odo subtly made her get past it with a few gruff words.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tony Montana posted:

He is the Spock character. The magic inner circle crew member than when poo poo gets really haywire they pull some heinous moves and save they day. They balance this with being eccentric. Only TOS had the depth of characters to have one of the inner circle openly hate and fight with the magic one on pretty much every occasion possible. This depth led to pretty much the best Trek character scenes and dialogue there is.

Looking back on it, I can see how they were going for the McCoy/Spock kind of relationship between Pulaski and Data, but what it lacked was the respect. You could see that behind the bickering and arguments about how to handle situations, McCoy and Spock legitimately respected each others' skills and intelligence. There was a genuine friendship underneath it all.

As a kid, I always wondered why Pulaski was being so mean to that polite robot man. Given more time, I'm sure the actors could have built up a better rapport, but for the time they had, it seemed like she was being rude and condescending for absolutely no reason.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-MZSjFXzvQ

Worf's quite the music critic.

edit: Jeez, you cannot find a clip of him with the prune juice without some crappy parody.

Or you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgzbKe6_DN4

V-Men fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 3, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Worf appreciates the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpNQ9AJYgU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Best Worf Moment is also the best line read in all of Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYIepFVRx6w

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Apollodorus posted:

On second thought, it would make an EXCELLENT pizza cutter.

Have you seen the Enterprise-J?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Met posted:

Have you seen the Enterprise-J?

Okay, this confuses me. Why are all the large, horizontal windows on top of the wafer-thin saucer? Do all the rooms have skylights?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrABWb9VIQ

Worf appreciates fine beverages and architecture.

HD REMIX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2Voj-LPuo

(Man the better colors really adds a lot)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Okay, this confuses me. Why are all the large, horizontal windows on top of the wafer-thin saucer? Do all the rooms have skylights?

The saucer spins for gravity so the large horizontal windows are regular windows

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tony Montana posted:

I always thought Data owned pretty hard, although his poo poo gets formulaic after a while but so does everything in TNG. That's why I said he was cooler than Kira.

He is the Spock character. The magic inner circle crew member than when poo poo gets really haywire they pull some heinous moves and save they day. They balance this with being eccentric. Only TOS had the depth of characters to have one of the inner circle openly hate and fight with the magic one on pretty much every occasion possible. This depth led to pretty much the best Trek character scenes and dialogue there is.

Making Search for Spock even crazier because it was McCoy, of all people, that ended up with Spock in him.

The relationship between Spock and Bones is a big part of what made TOS fantastic and the Kirk-Spock-Bones relationship was something they hosed up badly in the JJTrek movies. It's arguable if Spock and McCoy actually hate each other, though. Sure, they constantly insult each other at every given opportunity, but I feel that deep down, Spock and Bones actually like each other and are friends of a sort even though they don't want to admit it.

Granted there's one episode where Kirk "dies" and Spock and Bones are really at each others' throats to the point where Bones almost mutinies but TOS doesn't have the tightest continuity in the world and I think that episode is more of an exception.

Tony Montana posted:

Data hit that. A robot man that can't understand simple humor.

Data owns. Case closed.

Reminder: the autistic robot baby man had sex with a beautiful woman in the second episode.

Geordi LaForge never had sex ever and died a virgin, unless you count sex with holograms.

I'm not going to lie, I like Data a lot better than Kira too, but it's really an unfair comparison as they're apples and oranges as far as characters are concerned, and both TNG and DS9 had some great characters. Although the greatest in both of them is easily Worf.

A more fair comparison to Data and Spock is Odo, who is also great character. It's interesting to note, that while Odo was a changeling, he didn't change shape very often in the show. In fact, I'd say in the majority of DS9 episodes, he stayed in his humanoid form and didn't change shape onscreen. This is due to the budget, of course.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Dufflepud class?

Cannoli class

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Odo is a better outsider character than Data is, because instead of wanting to be a person he just wants to have sex with them and continue being an awesome shapeshifter.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Writer Cath posted:

Looking back on it, I can see how they were going for the McCoy/Spock kind of relationship between Pulaski and Data, but what it lacked was the respect. You could see that behind the bickering and arguments about how to handle situations, McCoy and Spock legitimately respected each others' skills and intelligence. There was a genuine friendship underneath it all.

As a kid, I always wondered why Pulaski was being so mean to that polite robot man. Given more time, I'm sure the actors could have built up a better rapport, but for the time they had, it seemed like she was being rude and condescending for absolutely no reason.

Sure, but Spock and McCoy, particularly actually in TOS before the TOS movies and they'd saved each others rear end a few times and worked together for years, are quite openly hostile. That part of what makes it so great, it's not all 'yeah, but I love you, bro' poo poo.. their relationship actually evolves over time and people that watch it all then get all fuzzy in the movies when they got each others backs because you know it wasn't all roses.

Kirk in the middle is awesome too, he so casually plays off the bitching he gets from each about the other, often dismissing it with a joke and a smile in only the way an on-point Shatner can. Picard would say something meaningful that would make each of them ponder. From what I've seen it looks like Sisko would just tell them to shut up. Kirk makes the point that their bullshit better not interfere with work, but also that we're still all friends and you're both my closest. One of the best TOS episodes is when Kirk is thought dead and he's left orders to be played if it happens, McCoy and Spock are going hard at each other, McCoy is straight-up saying Spock is making bad calls and doing pretty much everything he can to officially oppose him as the ship's doctor.

Anyways they go and watch this tape together and it's Kirk saying 'I know you two are at each others throats. McCoy - Spock is the Captain now, respect him as it. Spock - You'll find McCoy one of the most important assets on my ship. Now you two go and do work and try and stop squabbling like children'. The way Spock and McCoy then look at each other - this is Best Trek.

Data's perpetual goodwill to all due to his incapability for emotion left half of the equation empty. Pulaski could be lovely, but Data is just neutral in response and like most people (me certainly) you watch this and think 'gently caress Pulaski, Data isn't hurting anyone'. Spock bit back at McCoy often and hard, taking the whole thing to a level that TNG couldn't touch. In fact no Trek I've seen could touch, actually that trio's dynamic is a lot of why Trek has survived as it has and it's a rare magic.

Kirk: drat it Spock! God drat it!
Spock: Captain, what have I done?
Kirk: What you've done is betray every man on this ship!
Spock: Worse I've betrayed you. I do not expect you to forgive me.
Kirk: Forgive you? I oughta knock you on your goddamned rear end!
Spock: If you think it would help.
McCoy: Do you want me to hold him, Jim?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I always loved playing where's Waldo with Odo in the early episodes of ds9, but some times that poo poo got kind of dumb. Man that cart near the airlock sure isn't suspicious at all right?

I really wish they did more with the shapeshifter thing, but as has been said budget was low.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

The relationship between Spock and Bones is a big part of what made TOS fantastic and the Kirk-Spock-Bones relationship was something they hosed up badly in the JJTrek movies. It's arguable if Spock and McCoy actually hate each other, though. Sure, they constantly insult each other at every given opportunity, but I feel that deep down, Spock and Bones actually like each other and are friends of a sort even though they don't want to admit it.

yeah, but this took time. Early TOS they're right up in each other's grill. That's why it's so cool. But yes, the trio owns and it's a good percentage of why Trek owns. High five.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Granted there's one episode where Kirk "dies" and Spock and Bones are really at each others' throats to the point where Bones almost mutinies but TOS doesn't have the tightest continuity in the world and I think that episode is more of an exception.

hey man, I was just typing that other drat reply :)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Reminder: the autistic robot baby man had sex with a beautiful woman in the second episode.

Geordi LaForge never had sex ever and died a virgin, unless you count sex with holograms.

Geordi is such a nice guy. I guess that's why he's so lame :(

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not going to lie, I like Data a lot better than Kira too, but it's really an unfair comparison as they're apples and oranges as far as characters are concerned, and both TNG and DS9 had some great characters. Although the greatest in both of them is easily Worf.

A more fair comparison to Data and Spock is Odo, who is also great character. It's interesting to note, that while Odo was a changeling, he didn't change shape very often in the show. In fact, I'd say in the majority of DS9 episodes, he stayed in his humanoid form and didn't change shape onscreen. This is due to the budget, of course.

I'm not really comparing Trek characters, that's too nerdy even for me hehe. I'm more having a joke with the other guy about Data and Kira. But yeah, Odo appears to be DS9's Spock/Data. Magic dude that's eccentric and weird and has his own loving werid poo poo going on, but can pull magic tricks to save the day when needed. Becomes inner circle and trusted bro.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Why didn't geordi just go to risa and get one of those dtf statues and go fix his idiot sexloser problem, what a retard, i can't believe they let retards into starfleet except bashir but he only used to be

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LeafyOrb posted:

I always loved playing where's Waldo with Odo in the early episodes of ds9, but some times that poo poo got kind of dumb. Man that cart near the airlock sure isn't suspicious at all right?

I really wish they did more with the shapeshifter thing, but as has been said budget was low.

As a training exercise for the security team, he should have actually shifted into Waldo and hidden in a crowd.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

Why didn't geordi just go to risa and get one of those dtf statues and go fix his idiot sexloser problem, what a retard, i can't believe they let retards into starfleet except bashir but he only used to be

Reminder that Odo and Data and Spock had more sex than Geordi.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Let's be fair, the main casts of both TNG and DS9 are pretty good except for Wesley Crusher and Jadzia Dax. (I'm not counting reoccurring characters like Luxwana Troi.)

...And I don't even hate Wesley Crusher, by the way. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who doesn't hate Wesley. Granted, I don't particularly like him, but he's no Jar Jar Binks.

While we're talking about Spock vs. McCoy, something I love about TOS and DS9 that TNG totally lacks is a cast of characters with adversarial relationships. In TNG, everybody gets along most of the time. There's very little internal conflict, and the conflict is almost always from an outside source. Spock and McCoy were constantly at each others' throats, and very much like Spock and McCoy, Odo and Quark had a very similar relationship. Odo and Quark also grew to sort of like each other too. (See: the last episode of DS9.)

Oh, by the way, TOS and DS9 are my two favorite Star Trek shows, what a surprise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

incorrect, Transfigurations had the magic protogod alien give Geordi a burst of self-confidence that enabled him to score with some lady

now, that said, I'm pretty sure Wesley Crusher was getting more play on that ship than Geordi

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Me too man, TOS and DS9 supremacy forever

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Paper Lion posted:

They probably banned him from the planet because he probably kept trying to stalk the one Risa not-a-whore he had sex with.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

incorrect, Transfigurations had the magic protogod alien give Geordi a burst of self-confidence that enabled him to score with some lady

now, that said, I'm pretty sure Wesley Crusher was getting more play on that ship than Geordi

Didn't he like, program some romantic beach date in the holodeck and had it backfire disastrously later? I might be thinking of a different episode. But in my mind I like to think it exploded in his face.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Let's be fair, the main casts of both TNG and DS9 are pretty good except for Wesley Crusher and Jadzia Dax. (I'm not counting reoccurring characters like Luxwana Troi.)

...And I don't even hate Wesley Crusher, by the way. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who doesn't hate Wesley. Granted, I don't particularly like him, but he's no Jar Jar Binks.

While we're talking about Spock vs. McCoy, something I love about TOS and DS9 that TNG totally lacks is a cast of characters with adversarial relationships. In TNG, everybody gets along most of the time. There's very little internal conflict, and the conflict is almost always from an outside source. Spock and McCoy were constantly at each others' throats, and very much like Spock and McCoy, Odo and Quark had a very similar relationship. Odo and Quark also grew to sort of like each other too. (See: the last episode of DS9.)

Oh, by the way, TOS and DS9 are my two favorite Star Trek shows, what a surprise.

Oh yeah, they are good casts. I enjoyed them too (and I'm just starting with DS9 but just today I watched Odo's one where he gets that pendant from that guy and goes to find his race, to find out he was lying? that was some good Trek :)). I'm just saying TOS is awesome Trek, easily I think the best and I'm keen to see if DS9 can live up.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh for sure, I remember at least one TNG where Wes is rocking some young hottie. Possibly too young to be legal for me, but I remember thinking 'go Wes!' :)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Didn't he like, program some romantic beach date in the holodeck and had it backfire disastrously later? I might be thinking of a different episode. But in my mind I like to think it exploded in his face.

oh gently caress yeah, I remember it and it was very awkward. He's not really overly nerdy either, he's generally a fairly relaxed guy with a decent amount of life experience. Is it really the eyes? No-one loves him because they can't see his eyes? Oh Geordie :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

One thing that's funny in retrospect is the fact that the Romulans got some random black guy to take Geordi's place on Risa while they were brainwashing him. They literally thought that all black blind people look alike. Even gave the dude his visor.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Also wasn't there a TNG directive that everyone had to be chill in the inner circle and crew? The conflict had to come from outside this time? I think I heard that and if it was Gene or one of those old-school dudes pushing it for originality, like in the bible saying 'no Vulcan poo poo' - kudos to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

That was the exact episode where he macks on a hologram.

e: I may have made a mistake starting rewatching TNG with the 3rd season, since apparently I missed the Pakled episode. I loved the Pakled episode when I was a kid.

• Locked thread