Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DStecks posted:

In my Ironman Estonia game, England wound up getting all three possible invasion victories in the same game: first, William the Conqueror succeeded in his invasion, then, Harald Hardrade successfully invaded Norman-controlled England, then, I'm not sure how, the son of Harold Godwinson managed to take the English throne from Harald Hardrade.

Having played as Harold Godwinson myself, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds. Even if he loses the initial invasion, he doesn't die or lose his other titles, so he's still one of 1066 England's several strong dukes, all of whom will make life hell for whoever wins. It's a matter of currying favor and waiting for the right moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Arumba is doing a Q&A and he's triggered the demon spawn event... with a dead daughter. :allears:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So how is project balance these days? I plan on getting back into the game and thought I'd try the VIET/PB combo mod since the consensus seems to be turning away from ck2+

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there any ETA on the next patch yet beyond "sometime this month"?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PureRok posted:

Yea, I knew about this. But I wanted something that was basically the character, but at a time that I usually play (the old gods start is where I always start). Sure, I could have just forced the event to happen, but this way I'll always have them there if I decide I want them to be (that, and I don't usually play Frankish characters, so it wouldn't have been her anyway.). I dunno. Besides, it was fun making all of that stuff, and since I made the mod for custom characters it's good practice for adding more characters. At least the confusion is cleared up.

Does the one that gets generated have her real coat of arms?

Also, I just really like Jeanne d'Arc. I think she's fascinating and I find her whole life compelling.

She appears lowborn, like the real Jeanne. You can eventually choose to knight her and she then gets what I assume is a random coa/dynasty name. I suppose that you could play around with the files to make sure the Jeanme that appears is always named as such and her dynasty name/coa is the one of your choosing.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

The little things about this game are sometimes the best.

I just defeated a Catholic crusade on Christmas day.

I got the Totally Not Ripping Off The JFK Assassination event twice within 24 hours of the 50th anniversary. :v:

Arctiidae
Jul 4, 2012
is there any way to convince the pope to call a crusade or is it just waiting and luck?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Arctiidae posted:

is there any way to convince the pope to call a crusade or is it just waiting and luck?

I believe Popes are limited to one Crusade in their lifetime - so if he already called one... :ese:

Arctiidae
Jul 4, 2012

Excelzior posted:

I believe Popes are limited to one Crusade in their lifetime - so if he already called one... :ese:

I guess it's time to cycle popes then.

Also, I find it kind of funny that I can rinse/repeat getting my own guys elected pope by spending lots on a campaign then asking for money.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

In my Ironman Estonia game, England wound up getting all three possible invasion victories in the same game: first, William the Conqueror succeeded in his invasion, then, Harald Hardrade successfully invaded Norman-controlled England, then, I'm not sure how, the son of Harold Godwinson managed to take the English throne from Harald Hardrade.

You didn't see the fourth, though: the Danish king has a claim on the throne of England as well. There's even an achievement for doing so in Ironman now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So how do you survive an Old God's start as a Scottish Earl?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, so I figured i'd go take Jerusalem, I made a game on tutorial island (ireland as its my "trying poo poo out" island), got it stable as hell and actually managed to win the kingdom of Jerusalem with 7k men by just sitting them on the city itself and fighting off whatever came near (thanks jesus). Now that i've got it, I don't know what to do with it. Is it even going to be possible to keep? Should I just hand it over to the pope or the knights? I'm leaving it until tomorrow to sort out but it seems like its going to be a pain.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

So how do you survive an Old God's start as a Scottish Earl?

If you get deposed in Ivar's invasion you are hosed. But if you are vassallised or swear fealty you can bring down Norse Scotland from the inside. A Norse ruler will have a tough time converting you or revoking your titles. Start a faction to put a Catholic ruler on the throne. Murder Ivar and any capable heirs he has. As a Catholic ruler in a Norse kingdom, all the deposed Scottish dukes will come to your court and you can press their claims and slowly turn most of Scotland Catholic again (this is the difficult part since many of the Norse Yarls will be related and allied). Soon the Norse king's position will be untenable.

And if Holy Orders become active early (as happened in my game, I think due to all of Scotland and England being ruled by Norsemen) then it becomes very easy. I was able to quickly crush the Norse Yarls and replace them with Catholics. A few Catholic uprisings drained the king's manpower and they accepted my faction demand to install a Catholic ruler.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

dogstile posted:

Ok, so I figured i'd go take Jerusalem, I made a game on tutorial island (ireland as its my "trying poo poo out" island), got it stable as hell and actually managed to win the kingdom of Jerusalem with 7k men by just sitting them on the city itself and fighting off whatever came near (thanks jesus). Now that i've got it, I don't know what to do with it. Is it even going to be possible to keep? Should I just hand it over to the pope or the knights? I'm leaving it until tomorrow to sort out but it seems like its going to be a pain.

I held it pretty easily but I also got lucky with timing, since most of the muslim powers were getting destroyed in my game. Once I made Brittania I just gave the kingdom to a relative and kept them as my vassal.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

dogstile posted:

Now that i've got it, I don't know what to do with it. Is it even going to be possible to keep? Should I just hand it over to the pope or the knights? I'm leaving it until tomorrow to sort out but it seems like its going to be a pain.

(Note: This is all for 1.111 and it may have been nerfed in 2.0)

It's possible to keep it if you are either extremely lucky, have a stupid high Intrigue (enough to make your chance of discovery 0%) or savescum. Stab the ruler and before unpausing bribe the new ruler. He'll now like you just enough to leave you alone. In short order he'll have his hands full of succession/independence wars for a decade or two. Whenever he's been at peace for a while and his forces have recovered then repeat the whole process again, carving out the lands of rebels bit by bit. I've expanded out to owning Mesopotamia, Syria and nearly all of Arabia after taking Jerusalem in an early crusade. The Shia (and now Ilkhanate) could have crushed me whenever they wanted but their rulers kept mysteriously falling over every time they looked at my lands.

Even if this still works post-2.0, I can't think of a way in which it would be beneficial to hold on to both. England-owned Jerusalem/Syria/Mesopotamia have rebels pop every time a war starts and having virtually no local troops would be a nightmare.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Haha I have no idea how long this event has been around, might be 1.0 for all I know, but I've never seen it before and it amused me a lot. :haw:

e; Ahahahaha I guess Paradox are just trying to save the Elder Kings team some work

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 4, 2013

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm currently trying to mend the Schism with the Byzantine Empire and I have four of the five holy sites that I need (867 start). I have my chancellor sitting on Rome but it's taking a long time. Normally I'm a pretty patient dude but my emperor is 60 years old and has 3000 some odd piety. In order to mend the Schism it requires 2000 piety and my heir has jack poo poo. Is their anyway I can get a claim on Rome quicker than waiting for my chancellor to get a claim for me (I've checked his gold and he hasn't been bribed) or am I poo poo out of luck?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mister Adequate posted:

Haha I have no idea how long this event has been around, might be 1.0 for all I know, but I've never seen it before and it amused me a lot. :haw:

e; Ahahahaha I guess Paradox are just trying to save the Elder Kings team some work

Are you playing with VIET?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

catlord posted:

Are you playing with VIET?

I just now realized it was because of VIET rather than the base game, I had forgotten I had even grabbed it :downs:

Welp, good job VIET team!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Is it ever possible to make a character who is both Mirza and Sayyid, and parenthetically, to have someone hold the title of both head of the Shia and Sunni faiths?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Being a Sayyid disqualifies you from being a Mirza. If both your parents are Sayyid, you are born just Sayyid.

I don't know about the second one. Obviously it shouldn't be possible, but I can't rule it out happening through some weird faction fuckery or anything.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

littleorv posted:

I'm currently trying to mend the Schism with the Byzantine Empire and I have four of the five holy sites that I need (867 start). I have my chancellor sitting on Rome but it's taking a long time. Normally I'm a pretty patient dude but my emperor is 60 years old and has 3000 some odd piety. In order to mend the Schism it requires 2000 piety and my heir has jack poo poo. Is their anyway I can get a claim on Rome quicker than waiting for my chancellor to get a claim for me (I've checked his gold and he hasn't been bribed) or am I poo poo out of luck?

I dont believe you can fabricate a claim on Rome. I certainly wasn't when I last played as a Catholic ruler, this may extend to Orthodox as well.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

littleorv posted:

Rome is part of the Duchy of Latium, so form that if you haven't already and press a de jure claim.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

YouTuber posted:

I dont believe you can fabricate a claim on Rome. I certainly wasn't when I last played as a Catholic ruler, this may extend to Orthodox as well.

Yes you can, with whatever religion you have, catholic, orthodox, it doesn't matter.

littleorv posted:

Try to shuffle your chancelors. Have each one for a year then shuffle to another one.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Your computer sucks. I alt-tab out of CK2 constantly.

Nah, it only started happening with the most recent patch. Prior to that, I'd alt-tab out while the game was loading so I don't have to stare at the screen waiting for it to finish loading.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Picked this up recently, and after a trial run in Ireland where I somehow got the heir of the Byzantine Empire to marry matrilineal oh into a 3-province minor, I decided to roll with the Abbadids. It's gone pretty well, I managed to form Andalusia, and have generally held my own. Then I wind up with a (decent) Sultan who lasts for ages and manages to have roughly a billion children who I completely lose track of somewhere along the line; my court largely runs itself because I'm busy fending off Holy Wars. Eventually, he finally dies as a result of complications from Ramadan, and it's his grandson who inherits, the primary son being long dead.

Well, my entire nation suddenly turns brown, and I'm in two wars I've never heard of. Turns out he somehow became Sultan of Turkestan, so I now have just about the ugliest borders ever, with provinces both as far west and as Far East as the map goes.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
It sure is annoying when I can't assault my enemy's capital with the 80K-strong army I am personally leading because some random merchant prince from another continent who isn't even in the war decided to park his 500-man retinue there 400 years ago.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Disco Infiva posted:

Yes you can, with whatever religion you have, catholic, orthodox, it doesn't matter.

As a catholic ruler you can't fabricate claims on any of your religious head's titles. No such restrictions for any other religions, though.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nightblade posted:

As a catholic ruler you can't fabricate claims on any of your religious head's titles. No such restrictions for any other religions, though.

Is that something new in SoA? I am pretty sure that whenever I was a Catholic playing in Italy, I never had problems with fabricating claims on Rome.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Last time I followed this thread there was news about owners of the GG version of the game being given Steam versions. Has that happened yet?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Disco Infiva posted:

Is that something new in SoA? I am pretty sure that whenever I was a Catholic playing in Italy, I never had problems with fabricating claims on Rome.

It's from a patch quite a while ago, 1. 06, I think. It's definitely older than SoA.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nightblade posted:

It's from a patch quite a while ago, 1. 06, I think. It's definitely older than SoA.

OK then, thanks. It seems I haven't been playing an Italian Catholic Power in a long rear end time (drat patches, everything changes grumble grumble :bahgawd:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

It sure is annoying when I can't assault my enemy's capital with the 80K-strong army I am personally leading because some random merchant prince from another continent who isn't even in the war decided to park his 500-man retinue there 400 years ago.

In this case I just load up as that merchant prince and disband the offending army. It is not cheating, you are just correcting programming mistake.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Since you can vassalize holy orders, can you exploit this same mechanic for other mercenary troops? Like giving the heir to the varangian guard some land, pressing his claim and then having them as your vassal? Replace varangian guard with your choice in mercenaries if you aren't Byzantium. Vassalizing the holy sepulchre drove their costs down a lot, if this is possible for all mercenary bands you can have your empire be host to a bunch of mercenaries. Just hope they don't rebel against you ever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

Since you can vassalize holy orders, can you exploit this same mechanic for other mercenary troops? Like giving the heir to the varangian guard some land, pressing his claim and then having them as your vassal? Replace varangian guard with your choice in mercenaries if you aren't Byzantium. Vassalizing the holy sepulchre drove their costs down a lot, if this is possible for all mercenary bands you can have your empire be host to a bunch of mercenaries. Just hope they don't rebel against you ever.

What's the exploit? You still have to pay them.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

What's the exploit? You still have to pay them.
The piety cost for recruiting the order of the holy sepulchre dropped after I vassalized them. I'm assuming the same will hold true for the price of any given mercenary order if you can vassalize them, making for cheaper mercenaries and denying their use to the enemy when you go to war?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

The piety cost for recruiting the order of the holy sepulchre dropped after I vassalized them. I'm assuming the same will hold true for the price of any given mercenary order if you can vassalize them, making for cheaper mercenaries and denying their use to the enemy when you go to war?

Are you sure it didn't drop because your were in a holy war?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

With Sons of Abraham, which of the new features are restricted to the DLC, and which stuff is integrated into the base game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Are you sure it didn't drop because your were in a holy war?

The piety cost of vassalized holy orders does drop significantly. The gold cost for the Varangians is also negligible. Can anybody check how much the Mamluks cost an Egyptian ruler? I think it would prove that vassalized orders/mercenaries have a lower hiring cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

The piety cost of vassalized holy orders does drop significantly. The gold cost for the Varangians is also negligible. Can anybody check how much the Mamluks cost an Egyptian ruler? I think it would prove that vassalized orders/mercenaries have a lower hiring cost.

Actually yeah, I think I remember the Holy Sepulchre dropping in cost after vassalising, but I never put the 2 together.

• Locked thread