Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Pau posted:

Aaaand Heroquest 25th lasted a whole 3 days, the company doing the whole thing was not communicative enough AND their stretch goals were a complete joke.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25th-anniversary?ref=live

Moon design (who owns the US trademark to the name) explains their role in the dispute: http://www.glorantha.com/background-concerning-suspension-of-gamezones-kickstarter-campaign/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Haystack posted:

Moon design (who owns the US trademark to the name) explains their role in the dispute: http://www.glorantha.com/background-concerning-suspension-of-gamezones-kickstarter-campaign/

So they used the fact that Kickstarter is incoporated in the US to enforce their trademark over a company in a country where that trademark isn't valid?

Is this the future of those secret bilateral agreements governments are signing as we speak?

Probably best left to another thread. I didn't back it anyway, was just going to combine old HeroQuest with some Bones and grab the new rule book and campaigns.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 1, 2013

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

So they used the fact that Kickstarter is incoporated in the US to enforce their trademark over a company in a country where that trademark isn't valid?

Yes. I don't know the legal intricacies, but don't doubt that Moon Design has a ton of potential legal sway with how its mark is used in the US and by US citizens. I think they own the trademark in a number of other countries too, but don't quote me on that.

On the plus side, Moon Design is perfectly willing to license the name out, even now. I've met them, they're long-time gamers and perfectly reasonable people. If something can be reasonably be worked out, it'll work out.

quote:

We [Moon Design] then spoke to Gamezone informing them that we had certain non-negotiable demands for any license agreement, among them a statement that Gamezone has explicit permission from Hasbro to make this game based on their IP. Gamezone has assured us that they can get such permission, but until we see confirmation, we cannot responsibly license our trademark to be used in this Kickstarter campaign.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Didn't see any chatter about the Krosmaster Frigost Expansion so I thought I would bring it up. Not the biggest bang for your buck, but it nets you the promos, which are usually hot items after the kickstarter. I am not super interested in any of the add ons, but an expansion and a fist full of figs for $75 isn't terrible. I really enjoyed the base game, much to my surprise, and the minis and overall production value is high quality. Go give it your money so I get more stretch goals.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
An update on some projects near the end of funding:

Call of Catthulhu has about 21 hours left at time of writing and is on the way to achieving a stretch goal that will allow all backers of the boxed set or higher levels to submit pictures of their cats for inclusion on the Nat Geo site, along with donations, to help encourage the protection of big cats. All announced additional setting stretch goals have been met, as well as the stretch goal to add dog minis to the boxed sets. Check the page out for the full story because that's where things are seeing the most updating.

Corporia has 54 or so hours left at time of writing. It still needs about $2600 to reach funding, but there are several 'reach' goals, which are bonuses provided prior to funding, even before accounting for stretch goals after the funding level is reached. If you haven't heard of it, think of reincarnated Camelot knights in the future being reborn - "when they are needed most" - in a cyberpunk dystopia ruled by corporations. Their return causes rifts in reality, and through these chaotic energies various weird things slip through, which they try to combat. It has a unified mechanic and includes hackers, mages, knights, its own version of cybernetics, and corporate folks, among other things.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Full disclosure, a friend of mine just launched a Kickstarter for his new card game These French Fries Are Terrible Hot Dogs in which players compete with each other at telling the truth about objects and selling their pitch. Here's a basic breakdown of the game from the Kickstarter page:

quote:

During each round of the game, one person will act as the Judge and will take a card from the deck and place it face up. That card is the Target Card. Everyone else then takes a card from their hand and places that card face down. Next, each player must try and convince the Judge that their card is the Target Card by using true information about the card that they just placed down. The act of convincing the Judge is known as The Pitch.

Let's say Bob is the Judge, and he flips over the Target Card "Hot Dogs." Susan then decides to player her "French Fries" card and places it face down. During her pitch, she can say:

“Well, mine's really good plain, but people usually put toppings on it, like ketchup. Others might add chili or cheese. Oh, and you really don't want to eat it cold, it's much better warm."

Once everyone is finished making their pitch, the Judge picks the person who they feel had the best pitch, and declares that person the winner of the round. Players then discard the cards used during that round. Everyone but the Judge and the round winner draws a new card to replace the one that they just played. A new Judge is chosen, and a new round beings.

A winner is determined once a person discards all of their cards.

If this at all suits anyone's fancy please give it a look. This guy is a talented game designer and I've had a ton of fun with his creations so far and I'd like this to be a success for him. Thanks! :)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Professor Pugnacious arrived!

Now all I need is Hillfolk, Last Stand, Nightfall, Carmageddon, and Cairn to ship and I'll have all my hardcopies from last year's Kickstarters.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
3.5 / Pathfinder fans: there's less than a week left to get in on the Pathfinder Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin, an update of their 3.5 Advanced Bestiary supplement.

They've already reached their goal and more stretch goals add more monsters, so if you're interested, :getin:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Woo Deadzone will be here tomorrow!

41 pound box! Ogre was only 38lbs!

Im pretty excited for this one, Ill be sure to take picture.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Was that a base pledge, or did you have a lot of addons?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Was that a base pledge, or did you have a lot of addons?

I did the strike team, which was 3x the base, and then added stuff onto it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, my base pledge is 8.6 pounds.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Lucky. I'm still waiting on shipping notification.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My FLGS has a couple of boxes of Dreadball in the discount bin. Also there: Nighfall, and Nightfall: Martial Law, and one box that is labeled that it contains both Nightfall and Nightfall: Martial Law along with "all add-ons". I think they're $20 or $25.

Did these games flop, or is it just the thing the owner of my FLGS tends to do which is order a few things from a game KS and then when they don't immediately sell, he puts them on clearance and gets rid of them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dreadball seems to be doing well where it's caught on, but hasn't caught on well. If he'd run a few demo games or organize a league he'd probably find that way more profitable - but that's pretty effort intensive.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Also there: Nighfall, and Nightfall: Martial Law, and one box that is labeled that it contains both Nightfall and Nightfall: Martial Law along with "all add-ons". I think they're $20 or $25.

Those are not the game that was Kickstarted. It is, however, a big reason why one of the first things we did upon taking over the project was change the name.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Full disclosure, a friend of mine just launched a Kickstarter for his new card game These French Fries Are Terrible Hot Dogs in which players compete with each other at telling the truth about objects and selling their pitch. Here's a basic breakdown of the game from the Kickstarter page:

If this at all suits anyone's fancy please give it a look. This guy is a talented game designer and I've had a ton of fun with his creations so far and I'd like this to be a success for him. Thanks! :)

It does sound really cool and I'll definitely check it out!

That said, it does sorta sound like the board game Snake Oil, was that an inspiration for them, or just two disparate people coming to the same idea?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

moths posted:

Dreadball seems to be doing well where it's caught on, but hasn't caught on well. If he'd run a few demo games or organize a league he'd probably find that way more profitable - but that's pretty effort intensive.

I actually like dreadball quite a bit more than Bloodbowl, they are different games for sure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Corporia funded with 13 hours left.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

moths posted:

Who is "he"? Because Dreadball has caught on pretty well in most parts of the UK.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Cassa posted:

It does sound really cool and I'll definitely check it out!

That said, it does sorta sound like the board game Snake Oil, was that an inspiration for them, or just two disparate people coming to the same idea?

I've never heard of Snake Oil and he's never mentioned it so it might just be a coincidence. I'll ask him though.

And if anyone here donated to his Kickstarter, thanks a ton as he just passed his goal!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Who is "he"?

The owner of Leperflesh's LGS who discount binned them.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So, Machina Arcana looks kind of interesting, or at least pretty.

Does anyone know much about the company/designers behind it? Have the other games they have Kickstarted been delivered?

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 4, 2013

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I've never heard of Snake Oil and he's never mentioned it so it might just be a coincidence. I'll ask him though.

And if anyone here donated to his Kickstarter, thanks a ton as he just passed his goal!

I donated! xD

Sure, I'd believe a co-incidence, I didn't mean to come across as accusatory, if I did. It's a pretty easy step to go from that apples2apples idea, to this.

And frankly anything that will stop hours and hours of cards against humanity is the best thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha no problem. Doing some reading on Snake Oil it sounds like a pretty neat game too. Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

The owner of Leperflesh's LGS who discount binned them.

Yeah, they do do game demos and stuff, but I think he probably only had a handful of copies and didn't see the value in doing that. For what it's worth, Black Diamond Games is very clean, very well lit, very well run, and its game space is full to capacity pretty much every night of the week with various events. So he'd probably actually have to carve out time from some other event in order to promote Dreadball.

If I'd fault him, it'd be for not recognizing that it's the kind of game you need a community of players to support, and therefore would need promotion, before purchasing it. Much like Bloodbowl. Folks who already have an off-site game group and would want it, probably got it in the kickstarter for cheaper.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thefakenews posted:

So, Machina Arcana looks kind of interesting, or at least pretty.

Steampunk People Versus Cthulhu Monsters: the Boardgame. Well I have to give them credit, they certainly know their target audience.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Got my Happy Seppuku stamps in the mail today. They're... a bit intimidating, I'll admit, but as soon as I figure out how I'm going to use them, I can see a lot of fun to be had here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Haystack posted:

On the plus side, Moon Design is perfectly willing to license the name out, even now. I've met them, they're long-time gamers and perfectly reasonable people. If something can be reasonably be worked out, it'll work out.

There's currently a suggestion that their terms are entirely not reasonable because they had hoped to make a game in the same manner themselves in the future, so they're just using the threat of a lawsuit to get KS to shut it down because they have no actual right to do so the legal way.

Or so internet rumour says, at least.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

Any pictures yet? My buddy and I are curious as to what shape the models come in. We want to know if we are going to be spending the frist whole day cleaning and glueing or if it's realistic to think we could play the same day we open it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Corporia just dumped the beta playtest pdf out to its backers. It looks really cool so far. Final release is expected in Feb 2014.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ogre extras are up for sale, check your updates for a link - they're not with the rest of the regular Ogre products.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Any pictures yet? My buddy and I are curious as to what shape the models come in. We want to know if we are going to be spending the frist whole day cleaning and glueing or if it's realistic to think we could play the same day we open it.

It varies, one of my plague teratons was like under a minute's work to clean the whole thing but the other one (which I'm cleaning right now) is taking ages. The minis are amazing though, especially the big plagues. The jumping over a wall guy rules.

Honestly though there's so much stuff and its a little overwhelming I doubt you'll play the same night you get it.

EDIT: I should model rollerblades or a skateboard onto this dude

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Inclement weather delayed the shipment, it will be here tomorrow, I will be sure to have a bunch of pictures.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Relevant cross posting from the Mantic thread :v:

enri posted:

My DZ box was awaiting my triumphant return from a day of work.. I've only just gotten around to opening it up and taking a peek inside, I'm purposefully avoiding diving in too much so I can avoid plastic overload syndrome (other projects need completing!) but at first glance, the restic is much improved from the dreadball minis I've gotten my hands on. There's a few mold lines that look like they'll be tough bastards to get rid of but on the whole, looking veeery good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

There's currently a suggestion that their terms are entirely not reasonable because they had hoped to make a game in the same manner themselves in the future, so they're just using the threat of a lawsuit to get KS to shut it down because they have no actual right to do so the legal way.

Or so internet rumour says, at least.

...their post about it specifically says that they were working on a boardgame themselves and that part of licensing the trademark would be compensating them for the opportunity cost it represents to them. I'm not sure how much more concrete you can get. And they have a legal right to dispute the project, since they own the trademark being used and did not grant permission for its use. (Nor, apparently, is there evidence that Hasbro signed off on it either, which they would probably need to do anyway and which Moon Design is insisting on as part of any licensing agreement.)

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 7, 2013

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Burning Suns have decided to change how the game will be sold (going from base plus expansions to themed base games that include parts of certain expansions to make it semi collectable). Needles to say, the people who have pledged are not hugely happy as it pretty fundamentally changes the product

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

malkav11 posted:

And they have a legal right to dispute the project, since they own the trademark being use and did not grant permission for its use.

Owning the trademark in one country doesn't give you the right to dispute it in a country where you don't own it, and so far they haven't proven ownership of the trademark in Spain or the EU. That's my main problem with what has happened, they're abusing the courts to enforce something in a jurisdiction they have absolutely no right to.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand the situation, Game Zone is selling through an American company, Kickstarter, to a largely American userbase. If that's the case, then yes, they have every right to shut this down.

Regardless of how legitimate Moon Design's claim is, this is exactly the situation that trademarks exist to stop, which makes me less inclined to view Game Zone charitably. A trademark does not exist to protect the company. Instead, it exists to protect consumers by making sure they know exactly with whom they're dealing. That is, if you buy a Dell laptop, you should know you're buying from Dell, and can look at their reputation to decide if you're interested. If you buy a Warhammer product, the name lets you know that you're dealing with Games Workshop. It prevents some fly-by-night operation from using the name with an inferior product. Game Zone is clearly trading on the Heroquest name (using the 25th anniversary wording), implying that their product is directly related to the old Heroquest game. Frankly, if Moon Design came out with a Heroquest game, and used terms like 25th Anniversary to try and tie it to the original Heroquest game, that'd still be pretty shady (though I can't fault them for using the name in other contexts, since they were using it first). In the case of Game Zone, they had no reason to use the name except to try and give their game a veneer of legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Very nicely stated, JackMann.

• Locked thread