Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

syntaxfunction posted:

Squier Cyclone? Good idea, but unfortunately I'm in Australia, Brisbane specifically, and it seems like a used guitar wasteland here unless you want lovely $90 knockoff Strats.
Nah, like a Fender Cyclone. Gibson scale, pretty comfortable to play. Its like a weird cross between a strat and Gibson; the neck feels more strat-y than Gibson-y if that makes sense. But as an Aussie, you're kind of hosed.

I don't know what you're into, but if I wanted something unique with a Gibson scale in your price range, I'd hop on this in a second. Replace the pups and add a coil tap. I like the way the Wilshire handles.

Edit: You might actually be able to tap the existing pups on Wilshires... some models came with coiltap

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.maldenguitars.com/

Malden.

Especially the Mozak.

That's intriguing. Can't find one for sale, though.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

That's intriguing. Can't find one for sale, though.

I picked up a Malden Liquid 3 years ago when they were blowing out their stock for $180. It's easily my favorite guitar.

I think they were moving their production from Korea to the USA when they were blowing out their stock, so who knows when they will be selling again.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm

Store's right here. I do like my Subhuman. It does what it does.

Edit: Oh, I see, yes, not available.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 4, 2013

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

TopherCStone posted:

New strings on SG, lowered the bridge a bit for action. Naturally the intonation is off. How on earth am I supposed to reach these screws with the strings on?

You can slip a screwdriver at an angle between the strings pretty easily. You shouldn't really adjust the intonation while the strings are at tension as that could cause some wear on the string/bridge, so just loosen the string a little and go to town.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Squier Cyclone? Good idea, but unfortunately I'm in Australia, Brisbane specifically, and it seems like a used guitar wasteland here unless you want lovely $90 knockoff Strats.

Sadly they don't have a list of dealers and I can't find any in Australia from a preliminary search. It doesn't seem to want to let me buy from their online store either.

The Guitar store on Latrobe St Paddington are Fender dealers.

I've bought guitars and amps from them before, never had a bad experience.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Guitar store on Latrobe St Paddington are Fender dealers.

I've bought guitars and amps from them before, never had a bad experience.

I bought an amp from here after recently moving this side of town, staff seemed great and I love the area, it will be my local shop from now on.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

field balm posted:

I bought an amp from here after recently moving this side of town, staff seemed great and I love the area, it will be my local shop from now on.

The Guitar Repairers on Musgrave Rd is something to see. It's not open to the public really I don't think, just by appointment for customs and restoration work. It's like a museum inside. I got to have a look around when I was there to collect a guitar for a friend that had some repair done on it.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Side Effects posted:

You can slip a screwdriver at an angle between the strings pretty easily. You shouldn't really adjust the intonation while the strings are at tension as that could cause some wear on the string/bridge, so just loosen the string a little and go to town.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot now

e: that worked, I am now nicely intonated!

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 4, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

I picked up a Malden Liquid 3 years ago when they were blowing out their stock for $180. It's easily my favorite guitar.

I think they were moving their production from Korea to the USA when they were blowing out their stock, so who knows when they will be selling again.

It's for the best, I have too many guitars anyways. :shobon:

I need to completely rewire my Jazzmaster, the lead circuit keeps shorting out like crazy. I thought it was the jack at first but nope, import wiring harnesses hooray :smith:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
drat it, why did I have to buy an acoustic guitar before I found out rocksmith was a thing! Oh well, I guess I'll have to learn the old fashioned way.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Well guys, fate has kind of conspired! Went casually browsing MF (for shits and giggles mainly) and they had an Ascari for cheap. After talking to a rep I ended up being able to get it for AUD$380. Used but in "mint condition". Even in the red I wanted. Sorry for not taking everyone's advice but for less than a VM Squier Strat I couldn't say no! Now to wait the two weeks for it to arrive.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

adebisi lives posted:

drat it, why did I have to buy an acoustic guitar before I found out rocksmith was a thing! Oh well, I guess I'll have to learn the old fashioned way.
You could always add a pickup if your guitar doesn't have one already.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Xlyfindel posted:

I have an entry level Ibanez and I'm seeing that many people replace the pickups on this model almost right away. I can't say I'm totally dissatisfied with the sound, but I just started playing near the beginning of the year and I'm still experimenting with all the settings on my newer amp/ pedals. I have listened to tons of samples on websites and off youtube, but i can't decide whether or not its worth it.
Are new pickups something that a new player like myself will benefit from, or are they mostly something more advanced players would use to nail a particular sound?

Are your pickups the V7 and V8 humbuckers common on Ibanez entry and mid level guitars? If so, this might interest you if you feel comfortable working a little with your pickups. Cheap, or outright free if you just do a magnet swap, and not hard to do at all if you take your time. Protip, get a utility knife blade to carefully do your prying. Need something thin enough to get into the tiny cracks. Otherwise so far as getting your sound where you want it, it's going to be mostly amp tweaks. Best of luck!

http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/09/polishing-a-turd-or-how-to-improve-ibanez-v7v8-pickups/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think they use the V7 and V8 below prestige level guitars, do they?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

muike posted:

I don't think they use the V7 and V8 below prestige level guitars, do they?

They're on quite a bit of their everything now, especially the RG series. Pretty much anything they offer that's above a Gio (And IIRC, even on some of those) that's of relatively new make is the V7 and V8.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

duckfarts posted:

You could always add a pickup if your guitar doesn't have one already.

Whoa I didn't know these existed, thanks!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Someone offered to trade me a White Penguin for my Tweedy.

Whyyyy, God, do you give me these loving choices. Why!??!!?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Someone offered to trade me a White Penguin for my Tweedy.

Whyyyy, God, do you give me these loving choices. Why!??!!?

An old White Penguin, or a new one?

You have to understand that Gretsch build quality has always, ALWAYS, been incredibly spotty, and in most cases, even with nice Gretsch guitars, such as a '65 Tennessean, you're really paying for the old filtertrons. Some would argue that Grestsch has been the most consistent in this past decade, which is really something to think about.

If it's a newer penguin, at least give it a good looking at before you do anything.

That said, I love Grestsch's, and I'm not really a big SG fan, so I'd rather have the penguin. Also, does it have a Bigsby? A Gretsch without a Bigsby is a mistake in my book.

If yours is one of the limited super duper special edition Tweedy SG's, I'd probably hang onto it.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
The trade is about $1000 in your favour depending on condition--I'm judging your Tweedy to be just about mint and putting the Penguin in the middle of Penguin ranges at $2500. You might be able to flip it, replace the Tweedy and end up with an easy $500 in your pocket (assuming under sell and over buy for a quick flip around).

Or, gently caress money, cuz the Tweedy is a beauty and not worth the risk.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress a White Penguin, seriously. I'd keep the Tweedy without much thought if you really like your guitar. After about $1,000 I don't personally feel guitars get significantly more worth the price, only potentially more crafted for you in the details. That's why I think you should keep Tweedy unless the WP is somewhat of a dream guitar that you know you want in your setup. You can certainly dispute this and I won't try to pass it off as fact, but that's my experience.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 4, 2013

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
A White Falcon yes, a Penguin no IMO.

(but that wouldn't happen)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a Blackstar HT-1 which I think sounds great with my Strat, even coaxing some metal tones out of it with some careful EQing.

However, I've also got a H-S-H Yamaha:

I'm really not sure what I should do with it - I've adjusted the neck (it's basically straight) and the action (the G string is bottomed out) and the action is still about twice what it should be - around 4mm at the 22nd fret. The pickups are boomy and sound OK with alot of high gain distortion but little else. Access to the upper frets isn't great, and I quite dislike the hardware (two tele knobs, a five-way and blackened metal). I specced out some off-brand aftermarket pickups that would mimick the Les Paul signature pick-ups and replacement hardware and it totals more than the value of the guitar.

The guitar would fit into a slot that I need something for smoother jazz, classic rock, slower thrash and NWoBHM. Pretty much everything else I think my Strat is just simply a better tool for. (And honestly from a purely songwriting/musician perspective the strat is more than adequate already)

I guess I'm asking is it worth doing anything with this guitar, or shall I return it to the guy who gave it to me? I would need to find a way to get the action EVEN lower (a neck shim?) and replace the bits as per above, and I'm just not sure if this will ever a) match up to my strat in terms of playability or b) be worth the money being invested in comparison to picking up a second-hand Epi G400 or ESP LTD Viper.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 4, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
It's one of the more recent ones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6134-white-penguin-electric-guitar

No Bigsby, but that's because Gretsch is :spergin: about maintaining their original designs. Gretsch has been hit or miss for me. Played some I liked, owned a few I didn't, but a White Penguin has always been something I wanted.

I'll most likely keep the Tweedy. It's one of the regular runs. I think they had some 50th Anniversary branded one that was Pelham instead of Blue Mist at the NAMM they introduced them but then Jeff Tweedy made them take off the anniversary decal and they changed the color.

Which reminds me, the Derek Trucks SG is getting another run in 2014.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I've got a Blackstar HT-1 which I think sounds great with my Strat, even coaxing some metal tones out of it with some careful EQing.

However, I've also got a H-S-H Yamaha:

I'm really not sure what I should do with it - I've adjusted the neck (it's basically straight) and the action (the G string is bottomed out) and the action is still about twice what it should be - around 4mm at the 22nd fret. The pickups are boomy and sound OK with alot of high gain distortion but little else. Access to the upper frets isn't great, and I quite dislike the hardware (two tele knobs, a five-way and blackened metal). I specced out some off-brand aftermarket pickups that would mimick the Les Paul signature pick-ups and replacement hardware and it totals more than the value of the guitar.

The guitar would fit into a slot that I need something for classic rock, slower thrash and NWoBHM. Pretty much everything else I think my Strat is just simply a better tool for. (And honestly from a purely songwriting/musician perspective the strat is more than adequate)

I guess I'm asking is it worth doing anything with this guitar, or shall I return it to the guy who gave it to me? I would need to find a way to get the action EVEN lower (a neck shim?) and replace the bits as per above, and I'm just not sure if this will ever a) match up to my strat in terms of playability or b) be worth the money being invested in comparison to picking up a second-hand Epi G400 or ESP LTD Viper.

If the neck is a bolt-on you can try shimming it, that will likely help with the action, and if you like playing it, it might be worth fixing up, but I'll be honest, you've got a lot of options if you're willing to spend $200 so don't marry yourself to a guitar you hate.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I wouldn't say that I hate it, but I really don't have anything positive to say about it other than 'it is a guitar that I have in my possession'. I guess literally the only thing I can't do well is that thick distorted hair metal sound, and what is probably a 'grass is greener'-type attitude it's what I really want to sound like at the moment. I've been playing lots of Iron Maiden and AC/DC.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
After a good four or so hour workout last night, I really really really like the SG Original. As mentioned, it's slightly more heavy than the Tweedy, and the neck is slightly bigger. More comfortable to play and I really dug the tone. Honeymoon period and all, but so far it's beating the Tweedy.

I think I even like the 57 Classics more than the Burstbuckers. I would tell you that the 57s have less output, but apparently that's not the case.

From Google:

quote:

Gibson Burstbucker 1 (Alnico2) 7.5 KO
Gibson '57 Classic (Alnico5) 7.44 - 8.5 KO

So either roughly the same or a bit more hot. Maybe the difference in magnet is the big difference here?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

HollisBrown posted:

I grabbed a Bulldozer a few years ago during the clearance for a couple hundred bux, it's definitely my favorite guitar when I want to just pick up a guitar and mess around. Super comfortable to play, awesome action, and it's way lighter than any of my other guitars.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

There's currently a lightning deal on Amazon for a Sawtooth electric guitar for $120. I'm not too experienced with a lot of different guitars, is this a decent one to pick up on the cheap?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Probably no different from every other sub-$150 Chinese plywood slab. It's certainly in the shape of a guitar and will probably make a noise for a while if you plug it in.

The best budget guitar by far is the Yamaha Pacifica PAC112. It's $200 but it's a huge step above the no-name beginner pack stuff.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Probably no different from every other sub-$150 Chinese plywood slab. It's certainly in the shape of a guitar and will probably make a noise for a while if you plug it in.

The best budget guitar by far is the Yamaha Pacifica PAC112. It's $200 but it's a huge step above the no-name beginner pack stuff.

Thanks, I've been meaning to go to the local music store and check stuff in person but there have been so many holiday sales it's hard to pick them out.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm looking at Gibson's 2014 models and apparently the SG comes standard with 24 frets now. I hate 24 fret guitars but I'll probably never own a Gibson anyways so it's probably moot.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm looking at Gibson's 2014 models and apparently the SG comes standard with 24 frets now. I hate 24 fret guitars but I'll probably never own a Gibson anyways so it's probably moot.

I think that's the Futura, not the standard.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal/posts

Devi Ever's cartridge-based pedal system is no more. I had pretty much envisioned this from the start, because it was a really ambitious project that seemed based more on nostalgia for a really inconvenient video game packaging than on an actual need. Additionally Devi is leaving the guitar effects world and selling the company to someone else, which is a shame because she made some pretty kickass pedals.

She also seems serious about finding some way to pay back her backers, which is class A in my opinion.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TopherCStone posted:

She also seems serious about finding some way to pay back her backers, which is class A in my opinion.

Was she the one that Billy Corgan had a shitfit at on Twitter? Because if so she's cool in my book.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

I picked up Rocksmith 2014 just after it came out and once I actually had a free second to sit down and play it, I've played everyday. I've owned my guitars for 5+ years and never touched them until I got Rocksmith and I'm actually learning how to play them now.

Also, the DLC for that game is awesome, there's so much stuff that I've bought just because "Eh, I need more songs" and ended up really liking them.

Yeah I just got it and it's helping me a lot with the noodely lead guitar stuff that I'm not great at.

Too bad the song selection is kinda not great, and for a game called rocksmith, there sure is a lack of the smiths...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The toolkit for creating custom songs on Rocksmith was just released the other day. Also if you can find a deal on the game itself you can pay $10 to get all the songs from the first game into the second one, well worth it in my opinion.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TopherCStone posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal/posts

Devi Ever's cartridge-based pedal system is no more. I had pretty much envisioned this from the start, because it was a really ambitious project that seemed based more on nostalgia for a really inconvenient video game packaging than on an actual need. Additionally Devi is leaving the guitar effects world and selling the company to someone else, which is a shame because she made some pretty kickass pedals.

I think this looks like a job... for Agreed.

No, I'm not joking.

Edit: Sent him a PM.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 5, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Was she the one that Billy Corgan had a shitfit at on Twitter? Because if so she's cool in my book.

Looks like it, yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was hoping that the CONSOLE pedal would come out, since I am both a guitar pedal addict and a retro video game collector. Sadness in great degrees.