Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Majorian posted:

You're joking here, right? Because that seems like a very, very bad idea.

I'm guessing it was a joke because that entire post is a string of terrible business ideas that appeal to hardcore fans but nobody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is pretty believable.

drat dawg you must believe some pretty stupid stuff

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Astro7x posted:

You know, sales were fine last year in November and December. Then 2013 came along with the Year of Luigi. I blame Luigi for all of this, nobody wants to buy a system for Luigi...

gently caress I think you're onto something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PrBacterio posted:

This theory makes me sad, but I can't find a single argument to refute it :(

The sales were better (not good) because the Wii U had just loving launched you dummy.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fallom posted:

The sales were better (not good) because the Wii U had just loving launched you dummy.
(I wasn't being serious :ssh:)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Ka0 posted:

The time for small adjustments is over. It's time for radical action.
Hang Miyamoto. Fire everybody. Suspend all Zelda-related projects. Make 1 (one) good metroid game. Port Mother 3 to the US. Begin work on Mother 4 and a spinoff. Create no less than 8 new IPs. Stop saturating the market with "party" style shovelware. Reinstate the seal of quality.

No one cares about (or even knows anything about) Mother except for super nerds.

Sarcasm/Joke detector brokeded, I guess.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 4, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

No one cares about (or even knows anything about) Mother except for super nerds.

It was a joke.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I saddens my heart to think that you'd consider making one good Metroid game a joke :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ka0 posted:

I saddens my heart to think that you'd consider making one good Metroid game a joke :(

Metroid is dead.

Let us remember the good times in peace. :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Metroid is dead, yet Tomb Raider lives on due to Terry Prachett's daughter.

It's also gotten 4 good games in the same spam of time Metroid only got one.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Taint Reaper posted:

Metroid is dead, yet Tomb Raider lives on due to Terry Prachett's daughter.

It's also gotten 4 good games in the same spam of time Metroid only got one.

Angel of Darkness is The Last Of Us compared to Other M.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Edit: I can't read. :downs:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

I really, really wish Nintendo had learned the right lesson from that misstep. But that wish only comes true in the fairyland where entertainment executives in any medium realized that sometimes it's not the franchise or the characters that are the problems. Sometimes the problems are just a couple shittily made games/movies/episodes/ad campaigns.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Majorian posted:

I really, really wish Nintendo had learned the right lesson from that misstep. But that wish only comes true in the fairyland where entertainment executives in any medium realized that sometimes it's not the franchise or the characters that are the problems. Sometimes the problems are just a couple shittily made games/movies/episodes/ad campaigns.

I think stuff is probably going to change within the next year or so. It would be wonderful if NOA was allowed to have full control over their region instead of going by what NOJ dictates.

NOA would then be able to bring over the Japanese games that were forbidden to be released in America. Hell they could maybe even go as far as setting up a PS+ like service and give free digital downloads. Even Sega is brining over their weird rear end Japanese games to America because there's a market for them.

Despite what people may think the Wii Train sims were probably the most solid and best around. And they were honestly way more fun than stuff like Wii Fit, they were games that you could actually play for hours on end. I mean geez they released Endless Ocean 1 and 2 in America and diving sims aren't really all that far off from the appeal of train sims. You're just chilling for hours on end exploring the country side.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I still think their best option was to ditch the tablet and slash the price $100 or more, and have a redesigned marketing campaign about 6-8 months ago. The biggest impediment to selling the things is the price, if they can't get third parties and they can't cut the price, then they'll sell like poo poo regardless of how good or bad the marketing is. The tablet is useless in most games I've seen, and nobody is excited about like the wiimote. I don't think the backlash from diehard nintendo fans would have any actual effect.

That's not really a good option, but it's not like they're going to sell less consoles than if they continue the present track. It seems to me that was/is the only thing they could change to actually sell more of them.

Someone mentioned earlier that nintendo refuses to play along with the rising costs of game production in general, but the reason that's a problem is that they won't embrace being a bargain console maker. You can either spend money and make a good console, or you can not spend money and make a cheap console, but you can't do something in between.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 4, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fulchrum posted:

ok, this is too far. Angel of Darkness was atrocious. The controls were at least responsive in Other M.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

ok, this is too far. Angel of Darkness was atrocious. The controls were at least responsive in Other M.

So long as you were fine with flipping your controller around every 3 seconds since the game managed to combine the worst of both waggle and the WiiMote as a traditional controller. And of course, special mention must be made of the SenseMove, the special touch-the-D-pad-once-in-any-direction-at-any-time-to-dodge-attacks-and-kill-your-enemies, making it nearly loving impossible to lose. Because that's what a Metroid game needs, something to make it play itself.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

Does anyone here still enjoy Nintendo's hardware? I've got a Wii U and an original 3DS, but there are some significant problems with them.

The 3DS is far too heavy, and it's uncomfortable to hold in one hand when using the stylus. The battery life is terrible, and it's so low resolution that I can see the lines between the pixels if I look too close to the screen. I've been put off buying digital games for it, since it doesn't use an account system, and the games are usually cheaper in stores. The lack of a second analogue nub makes some games difficult to play without the Control Pad Pro, which would make the system even larger and heavier. The shoulder buttons are tiny, and the control pad isn't particularly good, so I can't imagine using it to play the new Smash Bros well. The d-pad is really uncomfortable to use because it's so low down, and the rectangular shape of the system makes it uncomfortable to hold. The LCD screens look terrible compared to OLED and AMOLED screens, and the 3D effect is lost if you are just a few degrees off the sweet spot, which will happen in action games and make it impossible to see unless you hold the system perfectly still. The stylus is in a difficult-to-reach place, especially compared to the DS Lite which had it going in to the side.
Disagree here on a lot of things.
1. Battery isn't great but you can buy one that lasts for days from a third party.
2. Mine isn't very heavy, although I have giant man hands so it may be an issue for those with tiny babby hands.
3. The screen is pretty loving tiny. I don't really like it and wish I had a 3DSXL a lot. But i got my 3DS for 25 dollars and it has ambassador so I can't complain.
4. Controls seem fine. I lost my stylus so i just use my finger or a pen with the tip not popped out.
5. Dpad yeah its in a meh spot.

6. I don't ever notice the 3D effect and frankly find it annoying to look at so I leave it off. I wish they would have left that gimmick out honestly.

I think its a fine system besides the Dpad, 3DS effect, and tiny screen (Solved by a 3DSXL)

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Don't forget they also have one of the most...unique recruitment systems when it comes to hiring new employees.

It'd be interesting to see if new management meant an entire overhaul of that system which might lead to more employees being hired as a result?

Jesus christ! Is a colonoscopy and blood test the next step?

EDIT:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Legends 3 is really a bit of a special case when it comes to announcements, delays and cancellations. Most people probably don't know the game was never formally green-lit at Capcom and only got as far as it did because of the pull Inafune had, however much he had at that point. He was probably banking on Capcom caring enough about the fan backlash they'd get to keep them from stopping production of the game once he had left.

I've never forgiven Capcom and haven't bought a Capcom game since they canned it. I giggle with glee as I watch them sink and burn like the lousy shitbags they are.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 4, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The 3D effect on the 3DS is still cool to me, I hear so many people saying they always leave it off but part of me is still a 90s boy going WHOAAAH!! It's in . It still amazes me every time I see it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just saw this on Facebook:

Jason Rubin, co-founder of Naughty Dog, said "Nintendo is irrelevant as a hardware manufactuer in the console business right now."

I mean Naughty Dog is a first party Sony developer so it's not like their games were ever coming to Wii U anyway, but still, that's yet another studio that's spoken out about the Wii U not standing a chance.

Hilarious Article posted:

Rubin left Naughty Dog nearly a decade ago and was most recently known for being THQ’s last president.
I laughed so hard at this. I'm not jumping to nintendo's defense. They hosed up hard, but they deserve at least this counter point. They're not THQ levels of hosed up.

EDIT:

Uncle Wemus posted:

If they didnt like Mario 3D what DOES Japan like these days?
Tiny 3D girls whose panties they can look at and have sing to them like they're the giant from Jack and the Beanstock. Much easier than an actual relationship.

Edit 2:
If they came out with a Princess Daisy / Peach / Rosalina romance simulator we'd probably see it topping the charts.

MrBims posted:

No, release Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

I saw this on a nintendo direct. I happened to be in the game lab at my school when someone was watching Iwata ramble on about lovely games for the Wii U. This came on and he was acting all proud of is enhanced snow effects in a crappy game 5 people will play.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 4, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland posted:

I laughed so hard at this. I'm not jumping to nintendo's defense. They hosed up hard, but they deserve at least this counter point. They're not THQ levels of hosed up.

As has been said before, the problems with THQ came waaaaaaaay before Rubin got there. His crime is basically failing to bail out a sinking ship after the previous captain had abandoned it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fulchrum posted:

As has been said before, the problems with THQ came waaaaaaaay before Rubin got there. His crime is basically failing to bail out a sinking ship after the previous captain had abandoned it.

From the looks of it the bail out bucket they gave him had a giant gaping hole in the bottom of it too.

Barudak posted:

Mario x Luigi: Superstar Twincest is going to have the worst tutorials imaginable.
I can just imagine this now. KISSING TUTORIAL. Allign Mario's mustache with Luigi's... Guide slowly towards your brother's face by moving the Wii U pad inward.

Fulchrum posted:

I always figured that Luigi would be too scared for sexual experimentation. Which would leave Mario with Birdo and Waluigi.

Wario likes to watch but you only know hes there by his lit cigarette and occasional outburst of him laughing as he screams, "I'mma gonna cum!"

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Well I guess when you don't actually have that many games to play on the Wii U, you start making fanfiction.

My mind is now scarred thanks to this thread. Not as scarred as the psyches of Nintendo executives when they look at sales charts, but pretty drat close.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
THis is extremely depressing. I loved him as luigi as a kid. I think hes the reason I always was a luigi fan honestly. He did the voice acting so well for him.

When the super mario bros movie was announced I thought it was going to be him and captain lou in it. I was so stoked for that movie. Man was I EVER disappointed.

EDIT:
I also believe the Wii U was responsible for his tragic death.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Al Borland posted:

From the looks of it the bail out bucket they gave him had a giant gaping hole in the bottom of it too.

It's kinda sad really. Most people affiliated with THQ (developers and the like) had his back and don't blame him for what happened, which to be frank is pretty unusual.

He did the best he could in dire circumstances, but there was no stopping that ship from sinking.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SwissCM posted:

It's kinda sad really. Most people affiliated with THQ (developers and the like) had his back and don't blame him for what happened, which to be frank is pretty unusual.

He did the best he could in dire circumstances, but there was no stopping that ship from sinking.

Yeah, its worse for the companies that didn't get picked up too. The whole THQ disaster really mucked things about. I think the innevitable end for nintendo is going to be focus on making really good portable handhelds. They're still god tier on that and the 3DS is such a strong system. The ambassador program was a great apology and I was quite happy with it.

I was looking at my free game list and I thought to myself: "Now why the gently caress haven't they done this for the Wii U?"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Al Borland posted:

I think the innevitable end for nintendo is going to be focus on making really good portable handhelds. They're still god tier on that and the 3DS is such a strong system.

The hardware in the 3DS is nothing special. In fact, it's pretty weak, most phones nowadays far outpower it. I'm not sold on the idea that phone games have to be free to play/freemium or $2.99 each. The problem is that most of the "major" games done for the platform that are published by major companies are by third tier developers and are poo poo, Gameloft are basically the Asylum of video games. On the other hand, all of the good stuff is done by indie teams. When it comes to controls, there has been some development when it comes to game controls for phones. You can get decent attachable game controllers for about $25 now but support can be spotty.

In the end though I guess it comes down to content. People buy the 3DS for Pokemon, Mario, Zelda and other Nintendo franchise games. There's no reason why those games couldn't be done on a phone though and if interest in those franchises wanes, Nintendo is pretty much hosed.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I've never bought a loving phone game in my life. I think the Wii U is a hilarious failure but parents are really eager to give a $150 bulletproof gaming machine to their kids rather than their dainty $500 smart phones or tablets.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Alteisen posted:

Metroid is dead.

Let us remember the good times in peace. :smith:

If Nintendo released a new 2D Metroid for Wii U or a 2D/3D hybrid (anything but a lovely FPS like Prime was) I would buy the console just for that game. Instead I'm on the fence because I don't give a poo poo about pokemon, zelda, or smash brothers, and $300 is a lot of cash to play a few Mario games and some of the Wii backlog.

icantfindaname posted:

I still think their best option was to ditch the tablet and slash the price $100 or more

A few weeks ago before I seriously started looking into the Wii U and the threads here, I was trolling eBay looking for a Wii U console without the gamepad. I've paid enough attention to understand that the Wii U is a new console since it launched, but I had no idea the gamepad was basically required to use it and I could not find the console for sale without it. I just thought I could save a hundred bucks or so by buying the console itself and using a normal controller. I have no interest in the gamepad, waggling, etc. I just want to sit on the couch with a controller and play some good Nintendo games. I've never owned a Wii, mostly because when it launched I had already moved on to an HDTV and I was done with 480p gaming, but a new console that plays HD games AND can play a backlog of Wii games? I'm almost sold - but not for $300.

All Nintendo had to do was build on the Wii by releasing an HD console that could play Wii games, which I guess they did but how did they gently caress it up so bad? I know the answer is "the gamepad and lack of games", but if I can figure that out why can't Nintendo?

Over Thanksgiving I was talking to my family and I told my sister I was thinking of buying a Wii U. For some backstory, my sister isn't a big gamer but she has owned a Wii for a number of years and prior to that owned an N64/SNES. Her response to me was "you don't even own a Wii, why do you want a controller?"

VVV - My point is that Nintendo has something to appeal to everyone, they're just not capitalizing on it. I would gladly pay the Nintendo tax to get some good Metroid. I bought the gamecube for one game - Prime - and although it was a huge letdown and the Prime series will forever tarnish the Metroid brand, the point is that people will buy a console for one game if they think it's the right one.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 4, 2013

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If Nintendo released a new 2D Metroid for Wii U or a 2D/3D hybrid (anything but a lovely FPS like Prime was) I would buy the console just for that game. Instead I'm on the fence because I don't give a poo poo about pokemon, zelda, or smash brothers, and $300 is a lot of cash to play a few Mario games and some of the Wii backlog.

$300 is a lot of cash to play a 2D Metroid game.

Metroid Prime was a good series, the FPS controls were better than the double analog stick

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

VVV - My point is that Nintendo has something to appeal to everyone, they're just not capitalizing on it. I would gladly pay the Nintendo tax to get some good Metroid. I bought the gamecube for one game - Prime - and although it was a huge letdown and the Prime series will forever tarnish the Metroid brand, the point is that people will buy a console for one game if they think it's the right one.
Wait, you think the Metroid Prime series tarnished the Metroid brand? Let me tell you about Other M..

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nintendo thought Prime tarnished the brand. Other M was an attempt to bring it back to japan.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Wait, you think the Metroid Prime series tarnished the Metroid brand? Let me tell you about Other M..

Metroid Prime was real good, Metroid Prime 2 was impossible and I never played Metroid Prime 3 because gently caress motion controls.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I bought the gamecube for one game - Prime - and although it was a huge letdown and the Prime series will forever tarnish the Metroid brand

I cannot even begin to describe how much stupidity is in this sentence...

Wheany posted:

Metroid Prime was real good, Metroid Prime 2 was impossible and I never played Metroid Prime 3 because gently caress motion controls.

How was Prime 2 impossible, and did you even TRY Prime 3? The motion controls were fantastic.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

TaurusOxford posted:

I cannot even begin to describe how much stupidity is in this sentence...

Prime was a lovely console FPS, it wasn't a Metroid game. I haven't played Other M, but I enjoyed Fusion and Zero on the DS.

Basically, all you're doing is not giving me a valid reason why there is no Metroid on the WiiU.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TaurusOxford posted:

How was Prime 2 impossible, and did you even TRY Prime 3? The motion controls were fantastic.

I don't remember much other than at some point I just hit a brick wall in Prime 2.

No, I did not try Prime 3, because I did not own a Wii, because gently caress motion controls.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Prime was a lovely console FPS, it wasn't a Metroid game. I haven't played Other M, but I enjoyed Fusion and Zero on the DS.

Basically, all you're doing is not giving me a valid reason why there is no Metroid on the WiiU.

Duke Nukem evolved from a side scroller to a FPS. So did GoldenEye during its development.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Duke Nukem evolved from a side scroller to a FPS. So did GoldenEye during its development.

The difference is that Duke and GoldenEye were good FPS's.

Prime was slow, clunky, claustrophobic, and disorienting.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Prime was a lovely console FPS, it wasn't a Metroid game.

Nah, it was a Metroid game played from the first person perspective. It was slower paced than a typical FPS (in terms of both aiming and enemy encounters) because it was a game about exploration, loneliness, and discovery more than blasting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It WAS a Metroid game. First-person perspective aside, everything that made a Metroid game great was present in Metroid Prime. The atmosphere, the feeling of isolation, the music, the upgrades, the bosses, etc etc etc - it was ALL there. The fact that Prime is heralded as one of the greatest games ever made should be enough to make you realize maybe your opinion is wrong. Also...

quote:

I haven't played Other M

If the Prime trilogy had actually tarnished the Metroid brand as you say, this game wouldn't have received nearly as much hate and scorn as it has gotten. The fact is that after three excellent Prime games, fan expectations were high for Other M. What we got not only failed expectations, it barely even had the basic requirements to be a Metroid game.

• Locked thread