Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, talk about two dramatically opposite experiences. Got top 2 in Double Shot thanks to a decent slacker bracket and presumably a Euro-favoured finishing time.

Then in the Hood lightning round managed to scramble up to #41 for my very first diabolical and within 10 seconds dropped 96 points down to #182.

I think I'm pretty much done with LR's after getting the standard token (and screw all of you who get anything that's not storm, widow or bullseye from standards), because the insane crabbing shitpile in the top 50 is totally defeating unless you're rocking some demonic pairing with your villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Hood LRs are always fierce for some reason. I am starting to come around on him if only because his AP-leech ability can be really annoying if he's on the other side.

The matchmaking system definitely plays a role. If I want to focus on one LR (let's say, Magneto later today) I make a point of tanking a couple of them before that -- stopping at 50 or 100 points in Doom and Loki's, for instance. If I do that, I seem to be targeted much less often in my 'for real' LR than if I did well in those, as doing well in one LR puts you in a tougher matchmaking bracket for the next one.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Aw yeah. My first first place finish. I woke up with two hours to go and was at 600 points with the first place person being at 680. So here I scramble my way up to 890 burning through all my all color and red yellow boosts and at three minutes left I see that the former first place person is now at 707. :downs: I guess I shouldn't have burned those boosts.

Screw slacker bracket supremacy, it's all about having tourneys that end in the morning. I hardly ever got attacked aside from some 900+ dude who kept retaliating against me for 11 and giving me 30ish. Then there is this dude dkffiv who always seems to find me every tournament and is quite happy to let me sap away his points a few times until he eventually figures out that I'm the only one profiting from it.

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
Last Lightning Round I went from #9 to mid 50s in seconds towards the end. That's ok though .. I still got a Diabolical Token. That netted me a Ragnorak Thunderclap! Yes! Except I donated to the makers of the game and maxed that skill a few days ago. Wish I could give that to someone!

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
How do you find out when a tourney ends so you can join a slacker bracket?

If you click on the tourney, aren't you entered?

mania
Sep 9, 2004

BDawg posted:

How do you find out when a tourney ends so you can join a slacker bracket?

If you click on the tourney, aren't you entered?

You join a bracket after completing a match.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I quite glad to get a Top 2 finish for only the second time. I had to sell the red Widow cover to keep than lovely skill at 3. I always seem to get the worst skill covers for the best characters. I want her Sniper maxed!

At least I managed to max level Classic Storm from this tourney and get IM 40 up into the 80's. I think I'll work on maxing Cap next. I've been getting great synergy with him and IM 40's Recharge. I often end up with two blue stun tiles alternating and keeping someone's behemoth locked while everyone rips away at it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Cap is a great utility player, especially since tourneys buff him often. He's better in PvE than PvP because PvP teams don't use Countdown tiles as much, but as you've found, Peacemaker is a great lockdown if you don't have a Spidey. He works well with Wolverine -- every three turns you're getting red APs back to make Feral Claws nastier.

Widow Grey is up to 3/3/4 -- so close to full-on nastiness.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love using Cap's blue stun... if I get the CPU down to it's last guy, I can stunlock him sometimes if I'm on a roll.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Got another red Ragnarok cover from a Diabolical token in that last Doom round. I now have a 2/5 Ragnarok. Hopefully I can completely dominate lightning rounds now.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Fritzler posted:

Got another red Ragnarok cover from a Diabolical token in that last Doom round. I now have a 2/5 Ragnarok. Hopefully I can completely dominate lightning rounds now.

I just got a green Rag cover from a Diabolical token to finish mine off. Having him at X/5 makes a massive difference in lightning rounds.

I had just scraped together enough HP to buy another 3* level too, so now I can spend it on Spidey. He's currently at 4/5/2, and in light of the purple skill change I'm leaning towards finishing him at 4/5/4.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It's funny how painfully fast both sides die in SHIELD Training because nobody's buffed. I thought I'd kill some time and maybe wait for a slacker bracket in the next tournament. I'm not a fan of using three health packs after two battles with max Thor, Wolvie, and CStorm.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I recently downloaded the game based on recommendations in the iOS Gaming thread, especially since I've enjoyed Puzzle Quest's earlier iterations. I have a few heroes around level 10 now, but am beginning to get frustrated. I am getting new covers/recruit tokens far faster than my ability to expand my roster.

So I apologize if this is a frequently-asked question, but what methods are there to earn Coins without paying?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Make a fake facebook account and link it, then add a bunch of people (see list in OP). Get free ISO that way.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Tibeerius posted:

So I apologize if this is a frequently-asked question, but what methods are there to earn Coins without paying?

Several of the PvE missions later on have hero points as rewards, tournament/event prizes, selling excess 3*+ covers, and daily rewards.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
So the linking with the PC version: will it require Facebook or are they cooking up another system possible with Steamworks support?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tibeerius posted:

I recently downloaded the game based on recommendations in the iOS Gaming thread, especially since I've enjoyed Puzzle Quest's earlier iterations. I have a few heroes around level 10 now, but am beginning to get frustrated. I am getting new covers/recruit tokens far faster than my ability to expand my roster.

There are selected missions that can have Hero Points as their rewards. Those are the most accessible source for a newcomer. Typically, they're the ones near the end of a section, but there are exceptions. Use your Hero Points on cover slots, not on the recruitment slot machines.

Other methods include event rewards (progression based on your current score or rank based at the end) and good ol' cash.

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
Is anyone else having horrible matchups in the latest Lightning Rounds? I see the same 5-8 names no matter how often I skip. I have been waiting until most of the round is over before joining in as well. Everyone I see has level 90+ Ragnorak/Spider-Man/Magneto. I don't get it.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Oh ahem, misunderstood your question. For more hero coins, replay all PVE missions that have hero coins as a possible prize until you get them, only EVER spend hero coins on expanding your cover slots (until you hit 20 slots say), and in the beginning you can sell any and all bagman, venom, yelena, hawkeye classic (and arguably juggernaut) covers you get to save the space for actually useful heroes. You'll get more covers than you'll ever be able to use of those guys later on (and apart from juggernaut you'll probably never use any of them).

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I didn't realize you could grind completed missions for the rewards; I figured the whole point of the checkmark on a reward was to indicate that you had already received that reward and couldn't receive it again. So what is the point of the checkmark? Does the chance for a reward drop significantly if you have already received it or something?

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

Tibeerius posted:

So what is the point of the checkmark?

The check mark does indicate no more rewards are available to you. Look for the yellow circle/arrow/repeat icon and do those. When you select the mission it will show you in the bottom right what rewards you have (big green check mark) and the ones you have yet to win.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rod Flanders posted:

Is anyone else having horrible matchups in the latest Lightning Rounds? I see the same 5-8 names no matter how often I skip. I have been waiting until most of the round is over before joining in as well. Everyone I see has level 90+ Ragnorak/Spider-Man/Magneto. I don't get it.

Yeah this happened to me too. Only a handful of people and they all had level 60+ Ragnaroks. I narrowly got the top 50 this time.

And yet another Hood from my Diabolical token. Out of about 10 tokens I've gotten 2 Magnetos and the rest have all been Loki and Hood. I just want my green Ragnarok drat it. :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
AW YISS.

For some reason once you get over 500 points it throws nothing but Ragnarok teams at you, so for once I started beating up on those. It is kinda satisfying to see -13095 from one move.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

delfin posted:

Maybe the Yellow power for Invisible Woman will be useful in the metagame somewhere down the line, though at a minimum of 19 Yellow AP I'm not sure how. At $100 to skillmax her at the moment I don't think anyone's about to find out.

Someone on the D3Publisher forums found out. And I'm glad he took one for the team and not me, because he was not impressed.

Highlights:
* His IW is Level 77 and 1/5/5, reasoning that even a 19 AP Invisibility wasn't worth skimping elsewhere.
* Force Bubbles creates one bubble plus one per x tiles bearing Sue's symbol. That means that to make it reasonably effective, Sue needs to be high level and high stats so that she'll have a lot of tiles active. But THAT means she's out front taking damage, and she has comparatively low HP, so... good luck with that.
* Grant Invisibility can help keep her from being damaged... if you can keep her alive long enough to generate 23 Yellow APs with the above conditions. That's 5 - 6 matches even WITH both boosts active.
* His test run created seven force bubbles, then triggered a level 5 Force Field Crush. This popped three bubbles, did ~260 damage and generated no AP outside of subsequent cascades.

Now, that's level 77 out of two hundred something, so she has room for growth. But if you HAVE to get her into the 150s or above to make her at all useful, gently caress THAT.

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!
I don't even get how people place in the top 10 much less top 50 consistently. I was around rank 25 and fighting non-stop and getting attacked 3-4 times from random people by the time I'd finish one battle, against someone with more points than me no less. I was churning them out pretty quickly but I couldn't keep up with how fast I was losing. Went from around 25 to somewhere between 50-100 in the last 5 minutes and got a crappy Heroic token instead of a Diabolical. Meh.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Kiffetastic posted:

I don't even get how people place in the top 10 much less top 50 consistently. I was around rank 25 and fighting non-stop and getting attacked 3-4 times from random people by the time I'd finish one battle, against someone with more points than me no less. I was churning them out pretty quickly but I couldn't keep up with how fast I was losing. Went from around 25 to somewhere between 50-100 in the last 5 minutes and got a crappy Heroic token instead of a Diabolical. Meh.

The tactics I mentioned previously (doing poorly in tournaments to get better matchmaking in the next) help. Apart from that, what's your team? If you're going in with (let's say) Villain - Thor - Storm Classic you're going to get attacked because you're an easy target for those with villain covers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So is it just me or has no one else noticed the horrible new GLEEP noise when you pick a hero power? It's driving me crazy when I've to fire off all these Wolverine slashes.

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!

delfin posted:

The tactics I mentioned previously (doing poorly in tournaments to get better matchmaking in the next) help. Apart from that, what's your team? If you're going in with (let's say) Villain - Thor - Storm Classic you're going to get attacked because you're an easy target for those with villain covers.

Yeah I've been using Villain - Thor - Wolverine because those are my highest guys. My 3-star Villains aren't nearly high enough to be able to make a dent in people. My Doom is 3/1 (soon to be 4/1 with the free daily cover) but he's by far my highest villain.

Doom - Level 41 - 3/1
Magneto - Level 28 - 1/2/0
Ragnarok - Level 25 - 2/0
Hood - Level 18 - 1/0/2
Loki - Level 25 - 1/3

Whereas Thor is 69, IM Model 40 is 55, Wolverine is 54, Spider-Man is 53, Classic Storm is 44, and they can all blast out some considerable damage. Doom's my only villain that packs a punch right now sadly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm actually really coming around to Loki since the rejig of his power. I've somehow got him at 4/4. I hardly ever use the black power though it is nice when I'm up against wolv/daken. The purple power is ridiculous now, throwing stuff around everywhere into multi-match chaos. Ridiculously fun as a backup role. I'm only sad I cant squeeze him in unless its a Doom or Loki LR since Doom/Wolverine are required for most of my lightning round fights.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Loki Purple rules. Awful when I've got him and Mag on the same team. Most fun purple powers ever. They're basically the same thing too. Just a lot more random in Loki's case.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't do jack in the lightning rounds. The best I can manage is a recruit finish.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I haven't even been able to get a recruit in the lightning rounds. It's just a waste of health packs for me until I have some better villains.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I've got a Ragnarok red and green cover now that I sorted out my cover space. A level 15 Ragnarok is not as awesome as you guys said it would be :colbert:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I generally aim for top 50 with Lightning Rounds because the only thing I really want is Ragnarok Green and everyone else just kind of equally below that. I just got my first green Ragnarok a couple of hours ago in his Lightning Round.

Aside from the Ragnarok rounds I seem to be able to hit top 10 if I put forth the effort to sit there and play the whole round. My team is 5/0 Ragnarok at level cap, 5/4/3 CStorm at cap, and whatever rent a villain. My method is to skip fights on the jungle until I find a team at roughly my level of points or higher and fight them no matter the composition. If I see a high level Spider-Man then I will use two boosts so I can start at 6 red AP and burn him down on the first turn. Usually, doing this will put me in the top 10 with about 15 to 10 minutes to spare. Then I just put down the iPad and check in every couple of minutes. Sometimes I have to fight a few people to keep from dropping out of top 50, other times I'm rushing to retreat and abandon fights to drop down above 25th.

As people have said, the Lightning Rounds are all about Ragnarok and if you've got a red cover for him and no qualms with spending some money on a game you play on your phone then there is no better investment and honestly without him you are going to be putting forth a lot more effort for a lot less consistency in the Lightning Rounds.

Really, I hope they come up with a better format for the rounds soon. The "market" is getting flooded with three star villains and they are all going to the people who are already ahead of everyone else. Another week or so of this and all the high end players are going to have at least one maxed out three star character.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So for Villain rankings, Ragnarok is obviously #1, but who would you guys place as #2? Dr Doom for his ridiculous Strike tiles? Loki is pretty random/situational, Moonstone is pretty meh, Classic Magneto is crazy strong when maxed out, Daken requires time to build up and can be killed fast with stuns/nukes, and Bullseye/Venom are basically only for gimmick teams. The Hood seems like he could be useful if his yellow skill got rebalanced to cost less.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doom and Classic Magneto are definitely up the top.

Moonstone is easy to underestimate, with only one ability that's an actual threat, so I get blindsided by her a lot. Daken's pretty decent for a 2*, pair him up with Wolverine for father/son comedy of the year.

Yelena for worst villain.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

SynthOrange posted:

So is it just me or has no one else noticed the horrible new GLEEP noise when you pick a hero power? It's driving me crazy when I've to fire off all these Wolverine slashes.

I noticed that too. It kinda hurts my ears.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bullseye is my favorite. If you work things out right, you can line up crit tiles and deal a buttload of damage, all the while funneling purple AP to other heroes and reducing damage.

I want a max black widow original now, just imagine stealing black AP on every turn to feed into Bullseye while stealing other colored AP for somebody that does RGY like Wolverine. Biggest rear end in a top hat team ever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The only nice thing I have to say about the lightning rounds is that outside of them, I can completely steamroll people who have maxed out 3star villains.

It's just that my loadout is completely helpless in the lightning round, and it's the worst sort of positive feedback loop. You win lighting rounds, so you get villain covers, so you do better in lightning rounds, so you get more villain covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
1) Ragnarok just because 2 AP Thunderclaps are ridiculous, buffed doubly so. Godlike Power is just icing on the cake but the board churn can lead to unbeatable cascades of AP. He's subtle as a sledgehammer but built like a brick shithouse and undeniably effective.

2) Magneto is a brutal, brutal force when used properly and perhaps the 1B to Rag's 1A. The red skill is board churn and little else, but Magnetic Field is insanely efficient and powerful when skilled up, and Magnetic Translocation is situational but is the hardest-hitting attack in the game IIRC. Ragnarok has ridiculous HP when buffed, Magneto has far fewer HP but can one-punch anyone with the right board and can do serious damage without even matching any tiles.

3) Doom. A one-trick pony; he either kills you with demons or uses technopath to set up killing you with demons. But it's an effective trick, and he has the HP to back it up. Where Rag and Mag can just kill you outright, Doom works best with teammates supporting him and locking down opponents, but he has the HP to stick around until the demons are ready.

4) I'm going to go against popular opinion and say The Hood. In some ways, he's REALLY situational; Intimidation isn't much without Countdown tiles and Twin Pistols is too expensive. But Dormammu's Aid at level five is nasty, and his stats are surprisingly high. His Yellow base value is Spidey-good and he's got more Black than Doom does. If you can build up his passive he can be interesting.

5) Loki is, as others are noting, improved but still a wild card. Sometimes the board shift will help you dramatically, sometimes it'll do nothing useful. The Black skill isn't much unless you're facing the right opponents. But buffed in Lightning Rounds > not buffed in Lightning Rounds.

6) Venom is cheap, easy to get, easy to level and surprisingly effective at 5/4. Four purple for a quick stun is a good deal for a 1* unit.

7a) Daken is Wolverine Lite. You have to pimp him out to make him useful, and he doesn't have the burndown skills that his dad has; he's more of a role player set up to slowly make his teammates dangerous.

7b) Bullseye is fun to run because he neuters regular matches nicely. Murderous Aim is painful if you can pull it off, but it's expensive.

9) Moonstone has potential but isn't there yet. Control Shift obviously requires something to control, Photon Blast could be disgusting after a Forest Fire but is otherwise weak, and Gravity Warp is underwhelming.

437) Yelena.