Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I know what you guys mean. I grew up in Maine, which is far colder than Shenzhen. But my first winter in Shenzhen felt like the coldest winter I ever experienced, because literally everywhere was 40 degrees, no exceptions, for months. It doesn't get cold enough here for there to be heating at all, and of course there's no insulation and the windows in my first apartment didn't even close (and there was a big hole in the wall for an AC unit that was never installed).

VideoTapir posted:

You're not going to see your breath at 55, WTF.

Maybe he smokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

MeramJert posted:

I know what you guys mean. I grew up in Maine, which is far colder than Shenzhen. But my first winter in Shenzhen felt like the coldest winter I ever experienced, because literally everywhere was 40 degrees, no exceptions, for months. It doesn't get cold enough here for there to be heating at all, and of course there's no insulation and the windows in my first apartment didn't even close (and there was a big hole in the wall for an AC unit that was never installed).

Maybe he smokes?

I'm reading 6 degrees in Kunming RIGHT NOW and i see my breath. Maybe i've found a new oregon vortex

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Almond Crunch posted:

I'm reading 6 degrees in Kunming RIGHT NOW and i see my breath. Maybe i've found a new oregon vortex

6 degrees is 43 Fahrenheit. That's a hell of a difference from 55.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just drink more hot water

Wear more clothes.

Buy a hot water bottle.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ZombieParts posted:

Wear more clothes.

Buy a hot water bottle.

Those oil filled bottles that you plug in for a few minutes are great. Until they burn your house down.

But college students seem to buy them up and they don't die, so risk it?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Almond Crunch posted:

But I DO get a weekend; Monday and Tuesday is my weekend! But really what should I be looking for?

I don't know what to write; this is my first :china: so i have no real basis for comparison. It's nice to have spicy food again, but it seems like most of the chinese with whom I interact use their appreciation of spicy food as an consolation for being unable to appreciate any subtlety in other tastes whatsoever.

I was much warmer in Russia. This no heating thing is loving stupid. Riding a goddamned electric scooter to class everyday before the sun is up is an absurd form of torture; going from moderately warm blanket pile to cold house to FREEZING COLD bike trip makes me just skip class more than once a week, and lord if it is raining then there is no respite because its freezing even under a pile of blankets, and btw haven't these people ever heard of a loving mattress?

Living with a chinese guy and his brother is a daily exercise in madness; to what extent can i judge social and cultural niceties as simply 'different' and when can I acknowledge them as stupid and childish? I've gotten e-mails about my transgressions which include: not wearing shoes around the house, sitting on the floor in the living room, drinking drinks at the table during mealtime, offering others food i'd made from the bowl from which i was eating, not offering others food from the bowl from which i had been eating, etc.

For my total inability to speak chinese, I can't say I've really experienced Kunming; moreso just the ex-pat Kunming lifestyle. I don't like most expats here; it seems to be mainly contemptibly puerile international-relations majors on their study abroad trips who are consistently SO AMAZED at the exoticism of china (WHOA THESE PEOPLE POOP OUTSIDE I AM SO JAZZED), fourty-to-fifty-something weird guys whose conversations tend to revolve around some craft-turned small business (this is not necessarily a bad thing but man if you don't share that interest these guys are seemingly otherwise difficult to relate to for me; i mean the only hobby that we seem to share is oggling cute chinagirls which isn't really an hotbed of conversational fecundity), irresponsible twenty-somethings who do nothing at work all week and then party friday, saturday, and sunday night, only to skid into their desk monday morning. I myself cannot condemn that sort of indolence but it makes a person very hard to interact with in any way more meaningful than clinking glasses and sharing cigarettes, and the group which I can only really describe by stealing a demographic identity from the turks; that is the Agabeyler: the hitherto farmboys who somehow (whiteskin) landed a white-collar job and are desperately looking to at once display their newfound success in a bid for the respect they never saw as children while asskissing people who actually have a decent share of social grace and charisma. The chinese girls have not been as welcoming as i'd heard. I am tall, blond, young, and healthy. I never had problems (not significant problems; I don't claim to be able to snap my fingers and have bitches on my dick) getting laid in America or Russia, but here it seems that I'm exoticized to inhumanity; i can spend a whole night having girls coming up to me asking for photos with me but any advance or invitation on my part is met with shock and hushed dismissal.

I mainly spend my time studying; I take classes at two different schools and after class I'll go listen to podcasts for another two hours while drinking coffee and watching chinese people. It feels hopelessly debilitating to physically exist in a place while being totally unable to interact with any of the people there besides being continually stared at as if you were suspected of shoplifting.

Work is OK. My students are exceedingly diverse in their ability to speak english; I can help the few who are actually suited to the class they are in, but it's draining to have to teach 20 people who have no hope of understanding what you're teaching and who are humiliated by the prospect their comprehension of a currently-taught lesson being checked.

THE WEED IS P GOOD THOUGH

You sound like you can't handle it. Go home. Or somewhere else where there'll be more "bitches" for you to date rape. Also drugs in China, nice one man. Good to see you using big words too, so we don't mistake you for some kind of creepy dumb goon.

Choice quote:

"The chinese girls have not been as welcoming as i'd heard. I am tall, blond, young, and healthy. I never had problems...getting laid in America or Russia, but here it seems that I'm exotcized to inhumanity; i can spend a whole night having girls coming up to me asking for photos with me but any advance or invitation on my part is met with shock and hushed dismissal"

Here's a spoiler Because you're a loving creepy rear end in a top hat

[Fedora'ing intensifies]
[M'lady'ing intensifies]

edit: Oh yeah and look at you distancing yourself from 'undesirable' expats. You are one of those undesirable expats because you don't have a good personality. You're confused from seeking approval from different social groups. So sometimes you post as though you're some kind of jock "hell yeah loving nerds and their businesses, amirite?" and on the other hand you post like some guy who just crawled out of reddit "conversational fecundity, m'goon sire".

You're a stain, Almond Crunch. You're the sexpats that we talk about here. You're the creepy, balding 40 year old who goes to clubs every weekend to try to force some poor girl on your lap. Give it a rest.

ants on my cum rag fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 5, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SB35 posted:

Those oil filled bottles that you plug in for a few minutes are great. Until they burn your house down.

But college students seem to buy them up and they don't die, so risk it?

Electric blankets are better.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

You sound like you can't handle it. Go home. Or somewhere else where there'll be more "bitches" for you to date rape. Also drugs in China, nice one man. Good to see you using big words too, so we don't mistake you for some kind of creepy dumb goon.

Choice quote:

"The chinese girls have not been as welcoming as i'd heard. I am tall, blond, young, and healthy. I never had problems...getting laid in America or Russia, but here it seems that I'm exotcized to inhumanity; i can spend a whole night having girls coming up to me asking for photos with me but any advance or invitation on my part is met with shock and hushed dismissal"

[Fedora'ing intensifies]
[M'lady'ing intensifies]

edit: Oh yeah and look at you distancing yourself from 'undesirable' expats. You are one of those undesirable expats because you don't have a good personality. You're confused from seeking approval from different social groups. So sometimes you post as though you're some kind of jock "hell yeah loving nerds and their businesses, amirite?" and on the other hand you post like some guy who just crawled out of reddit "conversational fecundity, m'goon sire".

You're a stain, Almond Crunch. You're the sexpats that we talk about here. You're the creepy, balding 40 year old who goes to clubs every weekend to try to force some poor girl on your lap. Give it a rest.

:mrgw:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

Choice quote:

[Fedora'ing intensifies]
[M'lady'ing intensifies]

:rms:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What is that mask I should be buying again. In Seoul and you're drat China air is killing me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you want to look like the coolest bird-flu victim on your block get disposable 3M masks. They come Caberham-approved.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Jesus TWM, give the guy you never met a break.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

You're the sexpats that we talk about here. You're the creepy, balding 40 year old who goes to clubs every weekend to try to force some poor girl on your lap. Give it a rest.

I feel the urge to bond with you once again by quoting this, although I am unable to add anything to the sentiments expressed.

TBQH, if you're trying to sexpat it up in China then you're doing it wrong.

English-Teacher-Warrior-Monks ITT.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Pretty much this. Let him rant or post a little bit more. If he really is one of those sexpats he would be in South East Asia or brag about banging hookers.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

SB35 posted:

He can't. It's not his way. His way is to be the biggest prick he can at all times. It's easiest when you can straw man the gently caress out of strangers on the Internet, which he's just done now yet again.

Learn Chinese then. This sounds like it's one of the largest sources of your frustration there. Get audiobooks, download some PDFs, practice with street vendors or whatever.

Not being able to communicate and thus properly engage with the people around one is a serious frustration, and obviously radically diminishes from one's ability to properly feel like they are a member of the society they're in. So work on fixing that and you might enjoy it all a lot more?

Buy insolation foam in a can and you can literally spray it over window cracks or wherever else the air is seeping in.

And of course if down the line things don't improve and you really just end up hating everything about your stay, just QYJ and go somewhere that you will be happier - simple.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 5, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just had an interview this evening with EF in Hohhot. Another interview next week with a different organization in Tianjin.

EF rep said, regarding housing, I'd be sharing a flat with another teacher, no rent, but probably paying about 270 Yuan a month for utilities going into winter.

Also, I finally get why the Mongolian grill I saw in Oklahoma City was named Huhot. Not sure why I didn't get the connection before (besides there not being a Huhot here in NE Ohio).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Just had an interview this evening with EF in Hohhot. Another interview next week with a different organization in Tianjin.

EF rep said, regarding housing, I'd be sharing a flat with another teacher, no rent, but probably paying about 270 Yuan a month for utilities going into winter.

Also, I finally get why the Mongolian grill I saw in Oklahoma City was named Huhot. Not sure why I didn't get the connection before (besides there not being a Huhot here in NE Ohio).

The utilities thing might be a scam. I know EF Hangzhou use to charge 300 kuai per person when the bill was only 100 ish. Yeah, really dodgy. Have you tried PMing other goons here your resume? I think a few people here might have a lead or two.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

The Worst Muslim posted:

Choice quote:

[Fedora'ing intensifies]
[M'lady'ing intensifies]

You're a dick head. Are you on your period or something? Guy is just trying to express how he feels alienated in a new environment. We aren't all CHINA EXPERTS with mad skills.

Almond, why the gently caress did you move to Kunming at 40 years old? Or am I missing something?

You should probably learn the language and exercise daily. Join a football club or something. You kind of sound like you have Aspergers and a superiority complex, and probably lack social skills. Work on that.

B-Rad fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 5, 2013

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Almond, you seem like you have Aspergers and you have a superiority complex and why are you moving to China at 40 years old? Also, I can't imagine why anyone would be an rear end to you, what's the deal with that TWM guy anyway

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

B-Rad posted:

Almond, why the gently caress did you move to Kunming at 40 years old? Or am I missing something?

You should probably learn the language and exercise daily. Join a football club or something. You kind of sound like you have Aspergers and a superiority complex, and probably lack social skills. Work on that.

40 years old? Huh? Well url moved to Taiwan when he's 35, seems to enjoy being in Taiwan.

And almond crunch you can come vent in here as many times as you want.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People are replying to TWM unironically?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

He's done it again.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The legend continues...

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

caberham posted:

The utilities thing might be a scam. I know EF Hangzhou use to charge 300 kuai per person when the bill was only 100 ish. Yeah, really dodgy. Have you tried PMing other goons here your resume? I think a few people here might have a lead or two.

They even scam utilities..lol! You guys really don't like EF. I've only met a couple of people that work there and they are pretty defensive when I say "Hey, I hear horrible things about where you work"

I can't understand why they are doing so many interviews. Unless the paperwork takes hella long and they just want to keep him on the horn to make sure he's still interested.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

yeah lol

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

B-Rad posted:

You're a dick head. Are you on your period or something? Guy is just trying to express how he feels alienated in a new environment. We aren't all CHINA EXPERTS with mad skills.

heh, i'm in my early 20s

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I also don't get why people think he is 40, beyond TWM's bullshit tirade about "you're the creepy, balding 40 year old who goes to clubs" :words:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Oh for gently caress's sake. It's bad enough some of you think hooking up with girls and smoking some weed makes a man a sexpat(LOL) Now there's an age limit? I'm 33 guys. Do I pass? I moved here because my VP had me tell 20 of my 25 man team that they no longer have jobs over a 9 month period. We went from being a big happy family that enjoyed working together to me being the loving Grim Reaper and I decided to get out of that hell hole and instead of going to another corporate job with that bitter taste in my mouth I took to traveling the world. I've been to 8 countries since then and now have friends all around the world.

I don't think it matters if someone is loving 50 and wants to live overseas. Can any of you explain what would be the problem with that? besides thinking it's hip to call people creepy for no reason.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

ZombieParts posted:

I don't think it matters if someone is loving 50 and wants to live overseas. Can any of you explain what would be the problem with that? besides thinking it's hip to call people creepy for no reason.

No - because a lot of the people here are loving juvenile in their outlook on a number of things.

I recently turned 34 :corsair:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

No - because a lot of the people here are loving juvenile in their outlook on a number of things.

I recently turned 34 :corsair:

How does it feel to be close to death, Bad Astronaut?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm 32 but look like im like 23, jigs up, boys

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

synertia posted:

How does it feel to be close to death, Bad Astronaut?

Like walking through Shanghai this week without a facemask, heeeyooooo

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
http://instagram.com/p/hiHgOMDyQ0/

When you get dragged to your moms things...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's because someone in their 40s or 50s who moves to a new continent is either forsaking personal connections and accumulated wealth, or to not have any. That's the unkind assumption anyway. Maybe they're just awesome and their wife and yacht back in Canada are doing fine.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Just wanted to pop in to say I'm enjoying all this posting, keep on postin guys

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This thread should be renamed, "The China Megathread III: Logan's Run 2: Rainy Rises"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: not LAN

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Almond we like your bitching about China. I usually keep most of my moaning to the Goonchat, though. I say inappropriate things in public situations and don't like most expats either.

You have the advantage of living in a cool city that is sub-tropical and having access to weed that isn't awful. I haven't smoked since my last visit to Canada. Count your blessings!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Araken is twelve by the way.

ZombieFarts posted:

Can any of you explain what would be the problem with that? Besides thinking it's hip to call people creepy for no reason.

I like my blue jeans thanks.

edit: also, Kunming is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

B-Rad posted:

Almond we like your bitching about China. I usually keep most of my moaning to the Goonchat, though. I say inappropriate things in public situations and don't like most expats either.

You have the advantage of living in a cool city that is sub-tropical and having access to weed that isn't awful. I haven't smoked since my last visit to Canada. Count your blessings!

Goonchat is the smartphone clubhouse right? i'm cooooooooming~

Hey one of the not awful nor patently obvious advices was to join a football club; how the hell does one go about doing that short of walking around in running shoes holding a football while wielding an absurd smile?