Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
poster for new Godfrey Reggio (guy who did Koyaanisqatsi) film:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

sportsgenius86 posted:

My girlfriend's dad bought this at a bike rally a couple weeks ago and I watched about 25 minutes of it waiting for her to get ready one night and it was the biggest loving piece of poo poo I have ever seen.

So... is it a sequel or a prequel? The trailer and the various titles make no goddamn sense. It can't be a sequel because Captain America dies and his bike is destroyed, but it's called "The Ride Back". At the same time, it can't be a prequel because the tube of money is in the gas tank, and Captain America didn't make the drug deal until the very start of the movie (Also I'm assuming there wouldn't be any money left for Easy Rider if not-Peter-Fonda used it to save the community center or whatever the hell is supposed to be going on in this movie).

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

etherealshaq posted:

poster for new Godfrey Reggio (guy who did Koyaanisqatsi) film:

Throwing a Nietzsche quote on there where a critics quote would be is pretty funny.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Dark Knight Rises had 4-5 villains depending on what you think of Catwoman for the first act of the movie.

Not just Rises. All three of the Nolan Batman movies had at least three villains make an appearance.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Robert Denby posted:

Now this is how you do a re-release poster.

I know this was a couple pages back, but man I loved this. I want it on my wall.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not just Rises. All three of the Nolan Batman movies had at least three villains make an appearance.

Who was the third villain in Dark Knight? Don't say "Scarecrow" either or I'll shank you.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lady Naga posted:

Who was the third villain in Dark Knight? Don't say "Scarecrow" either or I'll shank you.

Fear.

Nah, it's Scarecrow. There were heaps of mob bosses too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Harvey Dent sort of sits on the fence and you're crazy if you consider Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises as a villain. Is Han Solo a villain in Star Wars too? She's pretty obviously an anti-hero.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vagabundo posted:

Harvey Dent sort of sits on the fence and you're crazy if you consider Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises as a villain. Is Han Solo a villain in Star Wars too? She's pretty obviously an anti-hero.

I don't think it was necessarily the number of villains in Spider-Man 3 that was the problem, but more that the script was so jumbled. Cut out Sandman, make the dark suit actually threatening and focus the conflict on Harry's bitterness against Peter/Spider-Man (without the amnesia crap) and Peter creating Venom by giving in to the dark suit, and you could have a great, dramatic finale to the trilogy. As is, I'm convinced Spider-Man 3 is one of the best recent comedies and I will always watch it in that frame of mind.

Vagabundo posted:

Absolutely gorgeous.

Three new posters for Amazing Spider-Man 2. I guess this means he's up against 3 villains, and that the Green Goblin or the Hobgoblin will appear in the upcoming movie.

Ehhh. I thought Amazing Spider-Man had a good cast but was pretty uninspired overall, and this makes me think the second will be more of the same. I thought Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti would be awesome as Shocker/Rhino, but now I'm not so sure. Why even cast Paul Giamatti if you're just going to stick him in a dumb tank? I feel like I'll have to see Shocker in action to tell if they pull it off, but with three villains I feel like his actual screen time will end up being thinned.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lady Naga posted:

I'm struggling to think of any villains in DKR beyond Bane and Talia, Scarecrow doesn't count in that either. And I'm not counting anybody who wasn't in the comics.

Vagabundo posted:

No, he's Two-Face. The whole movie is about how he becomes the villain. He definitely counts.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I don't think it was necessarily the number of villains in Spider-Man 3 that was the problem, but more that the script was so jumbled. Cut out Sandman, make the dark suit actually threatening and focus the conflict on Harry's bitterness against Peter/Spider-Man (without the amnesia crap) and Peter creating Venom by giving in to the dark suit, and you could have a great, dramatic finale to the trilogy. As is, I'm convinced Spider-Man 3 is one of the best recent comedies and I will always watch it in that frame of mind.

But Sandman was one of the better things about Spider-Man 3. It was Venom that really brought it down.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Peter Parker dancing was the best thing about that movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

For the first act of the movie Catwoman is totally a villain. She sells Batman out to Bane, even.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Ehhh. I thought Amazing Spider-Man had a good cast but was pretty uninspired overall, and this makes me think the second will be more of the same. I thought Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti would be awesome as Shocker/Rhino, but now I'm not so sure. Why even cast Paul Giamatti if you're just going to stick him in a dumb tank? I feel like I'll have to see Shocker in action to tell if they pull it off, but with three villains I feel like his actual screen time will end up being thinned.

Not Shocker, Electro. Not trying to be pedantic, I just don't want you to get your hopes up :shobon:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yodzilla posted:

But Sandman was one of the better things about Spider-Man 3. It was Venom that really brought it down.

Raimi had a hate-on for Venom before the movie was done and was pretty much forced to use the character by the studio. His disdain for the character showed pretty well in the film. He also had a huge love-on for Sandman and sadly his passion for the character came through loud and clear (I think both characters sucked in the movie).

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yodzilla posted:

Right, I think you could argue either way- if they focused on Sandman and Harry it would probably have been fine, but being stretched in so many directions is what hurt it more than anything.

Lady Naga posted:

Not Shocker, Electro. Not trying to be pedantic, I just don't want you to get your hopes up :shobon:

Huh, I actually didn't know there were two electricity-related Spider-Man villains! I must have collated them together in my head.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Huh, I actually didn't know there were two electricity-related Spider-Man villains! I must have collated them together in my head.

Shocker is, surprisingly, not electricity based. He just shoots vibration beams from wrist gauntlets.

Hello, I am a goon on Something Awful dot com. And so is TheJoker138.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 5, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Right, I think you could argue either way- if they focused on Sandman and Harry it would probably have been fine, but being stretched in so many directions is what hurt it more than anything.

Shocker isn't electricity related.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Shocker dresses in a yellow quilt with purple accents too, though if he ever made it too a film they'd rejig it to be awful.

Robert Denby posted:

Now this is how you do a re-release poster.

For some reason the quotations look off to me. I really want them to be in white, but I'm not sure if that'd be right. It's a great poster though, mostly because it treads in the footprints of a great film.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

TheJoker138 posted:

For the first act of the movie Catwoman is totally a villain. She sells Batman out to Bane, even.

Is Lando a villain, even in Empire Strikes Back?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Shocker dresses in a yellow quilt with purple accents too, though if he ever made it too a film they'd rejig it to be awful.

I want Shocker to be in Amazing Spider-Man 3 to reenact this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSD1E7YjHQ

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like that the go-to for goons is Star Wars

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did you guys know that Spider-Man 3 had 3 villains? And it was a bad movie so it must stand that superhero movies with three villains are bad!

The reason Spider-Man 3 was bad is that it had to take what the producers wanted (Venom), what the director wanted (Sandman), and what made the most sense with what they had (Goblin Franco) and shove that all together into one movie and try their hardest to make it work, instead of a movie where the three villains are all organically connected to each other and it makes sense when they team up (like what I'm pretty sure Amazing Spider-Man 2 is leading up to).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Did you guys know that Spider-Man 3 had 3 villains? And it was a bad movie so it must stand that superhero movies with three villains are bad!

The reason Spider-Man 3 was bad is that it had to take what the producers wanted (Venom), what the director wanted (Sandman), and what made the most sense with what they had (Goblin Franco) and shove that all together into one movie and try their hardest to make it work, instead of a movie where the three villains are all organically connected to each other and it makes sense when they team up (like what I'm pretty sure Amazing Spider-Man 2 is leading up to).

Yeah, I may have been a bit unfair in saying that the number of villains was the sole reason rather than the fact that the villains pretty much had nothing to do with each other until like the end. I'm willing to give Amazing 2 a chance on this, especially with the implication that things are working up to the Sinister Six.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
edit: accidental post

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Batman ;) No, it was Scarecrow. Shank away.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was such a wasted opportunity creating an entirely separate character with an entirely separate revenge plot to become Venom, instead of just using Harry. But apparently it was just THAT important to have Hobgoblin Other Green Goblin as a villain, and then barely use him at all.

Of course, that would have pissed off comic book fans because Harry probably never becomes Venom in a comic. Just one more way that movie was spoiled by trying to please too many different people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

It was such a wasted opportunity creating an entirely separate character with an entirely separate revenge plot to become Venom, instead of just using Harry. But apparently it was just THAT important to have Hobgoblin Other Green Goblin as a villain, and then barely use him at all.

Of course, that would have pissed off comic book fans because Harry probably never becomes Venom in a comic. Just one more way that movie was spoiled by trying to please too many different people.

Harry as Venom instead of "NEW Goblin" is a loving brilliant idea. gently caress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The whole Venom plot could have been an entire movie...but they half-assed it and threw in the Sandman stuff and the ongoing conflict with Harry from SM2, creating a gigantic mess. Raimi was a little obsessive with the early ASM villains though, from what it sounds like. He was prepared to make the Vulture and his daughter the main villains in the fourth one, which sounded like a really terrible idea. I think there were also rumors of Mysterio?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now Mysterio I'd like to see. Some really nifty stuff could be done with that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The whole Venom plot could have been an entire movie...but they half-assed it and threw in the Sandman stuff and the ongoing conflict with Harry from SM2, creating a gigantic mess. Raimi was a little obsessive with the early ASM villains though, from what it sounds like. He was prepared to make the Vulture and his daughter the main villains in the fourth one, which sounded like a really terrible idea. I think there were also rumors of Mysterio?

The Venom plot wasn't even supposed to be in SM3. It was more like they threw those into a movie that was originally supposed to be about Harry and Sandman.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 5, 2013

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The MSJ posted:

The Venom plot wasn't even supposed to be in SM3. It was more like they threw those into a movie that was supposed originally supposed to be about Harry and Sandman.

It wasn't like the Sandman stuff was great either. The whole retconning Sandman to be responsible for Uncle Ben's death was....really freaking terrible.
The Harry stuff was also pretty bad (I am talking about the Butler doing something near the end that could have saved everyone a lot of pain and grief if it was done earlier).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

drat Paul is hardcore, hammer and sickle tat, stars on his knees, those hurt like a mofo.

Also I thought venom was just shot up into space somewhere at the end of SM3, like Red Skull got teleported in Cap America, leaving the door open for a return...

TheJoker138 posted:

Nothing was good in Punisher War Zone.

Wrong, so wrong.

Lady Naga posted:

Gordon.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 5, 2013

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

effectual posted:

Also I thought venom was just teleported into space somewhere at the end of SM3, like Red Skull in Cap America, leaving the door open for a return...

He got blown up by a Goblin grenade while Peter annoyed him with noisy metal bars.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Madkal posted:

It wasn't like the Sandman stuff was great either. The whole retconning Sandman to be responsible for Uncle Ben's death was....really freaking terrible.
The Harry stuff was also pretty bad (I am talking about the Butler doing something near the end that could have saved everyone a lot of pain and grief if it was done earlier).

I completely forgot about the deus ex machina butler! Wow, that movie was terrible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Biff Rockgroin posted:

So... is it a sequel or a prequel? The trailer and the various titles make no goddamn sense. It can't be a sequel because Captain America dies and his bike is destroyed, but it's called "The Ride Back". At the same time, it can't be a prequel because the tube of money is in the gas tank, and Captain America didn't make the drug deal until the very start of the movie (Also I'm assuming there wouldn't be any money left for Easy Rider if not-Peter-Fonda used it to save the community center or whatever the hell is supposed to be going on in this movie).

Captain America's brother rebuilt his bike and recovered his vest and is riding around with their sister and some guy named Wes Coast.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gary Oldman as an antagonist? Ptheh, not likely.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

No no no, weren't any of you paying attention at all? The third villain is clearly Maggie Gyllenhaal. She killed Katie Holmes' character and stole her identity. I can't believe everybody missed that.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Wolfsheim posted:

I completely forgot about the deus ex machina butler! Wow, that movie was terrible.

Apparently, these days the writers and/or Rami claim the butler was supposed to be a figment of Harry's imagination, putting the pieces together about what actually happened. Which is madness, but I sort of believe them? Like, they wanted to have Harry looking over evidence, but then test audiences didn't get it, so they added the butler.

Or they're all morons.

Really, the problem would have been solved much sooner if, somewhere around Spidey 2, Peter had shown up in costume, and said "Hey, I didn't kill your Dad, the goblin did.". Which is true, from a certain point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Re: Punisher: War Zone

Liking poo poo is all good - hell, I love Rocky 5.

But in the end it's still poo poo you just embrace it - all over. Covered in poo poo.

poo poo.