Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Surprise T Rex posted:

As for importing a Moto X, I'm mainly just concerned about the compatibility of a US phone with my network, as well as it being about £380 shipped on ebay for a new unit, especially without being able to handle the phone first to see if I'd even like the way it feels in my hands.
Looks like it doesn't support any of our LTE bands. Fine for HSDPA though.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

If I want to return my Nexus 4 to stock from CM, I assume I get the 4.4 rom and put it on my phone right?
Yarp. Just boot to fastboot and run the included .bat file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rusty! posted:

Looks like it doesn't support any of our LTE bands. Fine for HSDPA though.

Yarp. Just boot to fastboot and run the included .bat file.

I think I'm missing something, I have my phone plugged in and on the open android screen that says fastboot, and I get this:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, even though the X is 4.7", it feels much smaller in the hand. I don't have my old Fascinate around to compare, but it feels more like that size (4" screen), than an S3 (which the screen is only .1" smaller).

That is probably because the X has on screen buttons and the S3 has off screen buttons.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, even though the X is 4.7", it feels much smaller in the hand. I don't have my old Fascinate around to compare, but it feels more like that size (4" screen), than an S3 (which the screen is only .1" smaller).

A friend of mine has an S3 and set it next to my Moto X at the bar the other night, the X is noticeably smaller. I was kind of shocked how much space that big dumb button takes up on the Samsung.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

I think I'm missing something
Yeah, fastboot.exe

Download it and stick it in the folder with the rest of the extracted image bits... Google don't include it, they assume that someone needing factory images would already have it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rusty! posted:

Yeah, fastboot.exe

Download it and stick it in the folder with the rest of the extracted image bits... Google don't include it, they assume that someone needing factory images would already have it.

I probably need adb or whatever too then, I probably got CM when I was still on win7. Going to get that and see what happens.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Nah, you don't need ADB for factory images, it's all done with fastboot.

But you should have ADB handy anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If I want to return my Nexus 4 to stock from CM, I assume I get the 4.4 rom and put it on my phone right?
Yep.
Derp, there was a new page that I totally missed.

Edit The: official way to do this is to download the Android SDK and then when it asks you which parts to download, choose Platform Tools. You'll end up with a folder containing fastboot and ADB.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 5, 2013

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm back on stock android, thanks.

Is there anyway to customize the toggles on the drop down menu? It's literally the only reason I got CM, I'm just tired of CM breaking with every update.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is there anyway to customize the toggles on the drop down menu? It's literally the only reason I got CM, I'm just tired of CM breaking with every update.
Not on stock Android. There's a thing called The Xposed Framework which lets you modify these kinds of things. It requires root access and I've never tried it myself so that's about all I can say.
http://repo.xposed.info/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

Yeah, holding the N5 actually feels the same as holding the N4 so I wouldn't worry about the size.
No it doesn't. I thought the Nexus 4 was the limit for my hands and I was right. I've had the 5 now for a month and it's just too big for my hands. With the Nexus 4 I could do just about everything one-handed and with the 5 I find myself needing another hand for a lot of things. The back surface is nicer, though.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I went out and held a Nexus 5 earlier. It's surprisingly not bad to have in the hand. I still found myself wishing it was a tiny bit smaller, but with my Nexus S screen plus capacitive buttons, and the Nexus 5 not having those buttons, the gap is already closed somewhat. I'm not sure how much of this is justifying the impulse to BUY BUY BUY the shiny new toy, but it certainly felt less unwieldy than I expected.

In light of ^^^^^ however, maybe it's smarter to try and track down a new N4 on eBay.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 5, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to tell what's making the location icon on the right side of the notification bar appear?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Tunga posted:

Not on stock Android. There's a thing called The Xposed Framework which lets you modify these kinds of things. It requires root access and I've never tried it myself so that's about all I can say.
http://repo.xposed.info/

Or maybe try Powertoggles

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

No it doesn't. I thought the Nexus 4 was the limit for my hands and I was right. I've had the 5 now for a month and it's just too big for my hands. With the Nexus 4 I could do just about everything one-handed and with the 5 I find myself needing another hand for a lot of things. The back surface is nicer, though.
The larger screen does mean reaching around a little more with your thumb, but the actual size of the device in your hand is effectively the same because the width is like 3mm more or something.

Coming from a Captivate it seems likely that the difference between the N4 and the N5 would be the breaking point. But yeah, go and hold them both first and see for yourself.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Segmentation Fault posted:

Regarding resolution, I definitely agree. My old phone ran at 480x800 on a 4 inch screen and that looked pretty drat good, hence the "only" being in quotes. I don't need 1080p on a 5 inch screen, and having a smaller native res means applications heavy on pushing graphics like youtube or games would probably run better. As for quad-core it definitely makes sense that most apps don't take advantage of it, many desktop applications don't bother with multiple processes and multiple cores have been around for much longer on that environment.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I'm definitely going to go with the Moto X. The Droid Maxx looks interesting but it's out of my range, and I'm certain the battery life on the Moto X will be fine anyway.

Don't think I am trying to turn you from the Moto X because it is a fantastic phone, but you can get the Moto Droid Maxx for $99 at amazon, and other cell stores other than Verizon. Not sure if that puts it in your price range or if it's worth the extra cost to you, but I thought I would through that out there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

The larger screen does mean reaching around a little more with your thumb, but the actual size of the device in your hand is effectively the same because the width is like 3mm more or something.
The width isn't the problem, it's the height. Reaching poo poo in the top right was a stretch on the 4 and it's impossible on the 5 without adjusting my hand, and then I can't reach the switcher button. I'd get a Moto X if it had wireless charging.

Looks like AnandTech has the Nexus 5 review up.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Don't think I am trying to turn you from the Moto X because it is a fantastic phone, but you can get the Moto Droid Maxx for $99 at amazon, and other cell stores other than Verizon. Not sure if that puts it in your price range or if it's worth the extra cost to you, but I thought I would through that out there.

I was going to make the same post. At $99 the MAXX is incredible.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What is the go to car dock for the maxx? I''m hoping to hack up a wireless charger to the back of it as well and do what all the cool kids are doing.

I cant find the original post talking about that, but for some reason i think that dock was nexus specific ?

EDIT: looks like i need to build something. Ordering magnets and charging pads now.. what is a good universal dock to mod up ?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 5, 2013

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Nexus 5 camera improvements coming in 4.4.1:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5175568/fixing-the-nexus-5-android-4-4-1-improves-camera

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Hmm we'll see how that turns out. Right now I pretty much always use the HDR+ mode because it takes better pictures 98% of the time, even in low light situations.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I'm picking up my google glass today. i'm still not quite sure why, but it should be interesting at least.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, welcome to Android. Google has had 5 years to smooth things like this out, and it hasn't.

Nah, update popups interrupting/killing the initial setup wizard is definitely a Motorola-layer specific problem. At least now Thermopyle has posted about it the stealth Motorola employees monitoring the thread will report it to the mothership.

Civil posted:

I was hoping that the Nexus5 A2DP bluetooth feature where it ties the headset volume to the phone volume was a bug that would get squashed, and then I noticed that my 4.4 Nexus 7 FHD has it too.

What a stupid feature. It works better on the N7 than the N5, but it's still lovely.

It's not something they made up, Absolute volume (controlling device volume from a headset) is a standard AVRCP 1.4 feature. Any iOS 5+ iPhone/iPod Touch paired with a compatible AVRCP 1.4+ headset will do the same.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I had the same thought and it was definitely pre-reminders, but I still couldn't see what I was on about so I ejected

Just based on the level of brokenness you seem to be remembering you might be thinking about the "set a timer" voice action, which instead of creating a timer converts it into an alarm. So if you do "Set a timer for 1 minute" at the tail end of the minute and the clock increments before it gets a chance it execute, it will set an alarm at the current time 24 hours in the future. Setting a timer for 1-59 seconds nets the same result.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 5, 2013

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Vagrancy posted:

It's not something they made up, Absolute volume (controlling device volume from a headset) is a standard AVRCP 1.4 feature. Any iOS 5+ iPhone/iPod Touch paired with a compatible AVRCP 1.4+ headset will do the same.

It didn't have the same behavior on an iphone 5 (iOS7). Or my macbook air (2013, mavericks). Or my GS3 (4.3 stock). But my nexus 7 (2013) did it after the 4.4 update, just not as squirrely as the nexus 5.

The nexus 5 did it on both my SE MW600, which is a pretty old device, as well as my LG HBS-730. It essentially peaks the volume on the device, and leaves the volume control on the phone as the sole control.

It would be nice to have the option to disable the behavior, as it greatly decreases the amount of volume control you have.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Nexus 5, any easy method to set the default app for video playback? I want to use mx player, but it only seems to pop up the option to select my player in some browsers but not others. Like it works in dolphin mini, but not normal dolphin. And not in opera. Also, it will work for some video types, but not others, like mp4 seems to insist on using the stock crap player. Is there just a way to force it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Nexus 5, any easy method to set the default app for video playback? I want to use mx player, but it only seems to pop up the option to select my player in some browsers but not others. Like it works in dolphin mini, but not normal dolphin. And not in opera. Also, it will work for some video types, but not others, like mp4 seems to insist on using the stock crap player. Is there just a way to force it?
Clear the default for the stock player (Settings > Apps > that app > Clear defaults) and it should ask you the next time you attempt to open that filetype. You'll have to select MX Player > Always for every filetype but only once.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So, I'm looking to replace my Nexus 4 around this time next year since I picked it up when it was new last year and all.

Are the spec wars for Android finally over and I should just pick up a Moto X or go for a Moto X-2 or something? I'd go Nexus but the Moto X is looking VERY interesting and I think I can deal with OEM stuff if it means I get a much better battery, always-on Google Now, and a better camera (than the Nexus 4 anyway). Or should I just wait and see whatever Nexus Google has (considering it MIGHT just be Motorola this time)?

I know it's probably WAY too early to ask about phones next year but I guess my question boils down to "Pick up a 2013 phone and just roll with it or wait?". The Nexus 5 looks nice, but I don't know...the only thing I'd be missing in the Moto X would be the Google Phonebook thing which isn't in the Moto X for whatever reason.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In a move that should quell vast amounts of butthurt, a recent update to Play Music now supports SD cards.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You're asking what phone to buy in a year?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

That's my understanding.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ThermoPhysical posted:

So, I'm looking to replace my Nexus 4 around this time next year since I picked it up when it was new last year and all.

Are the spec wars for Android finally over and I should just pick up a Moto X or go for a Moto X-2 or something? I'd go Nexus but the Moto X is looking VERY interesting and I think I can deal with OEM stuff if it means I get a much better battery, always-on Google Now, and a better camera (than the Nexus 4 anyway). Or should I just wait and see whatever Nexus Google has (considering it MIGHT just be Motorola this time)?

I know it's probably WAY too early to ask about phones next year but I guess my question boils down to "Pick up a 2013 phone and just roll with it or wait?". The Nexus 5 looks nice, but I don't know...the only thing I'd be missing in the Moto X would be the Google Phonebook thing which isn't in the Moto X for whatever reason.

Spec wars will never die. Everything will always get better. If you need a new phone today, get a moto x. If you can wait, wait.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

In a move that should quell vast amounts of butthurt, a recent update to Play Music now supports SD cards.
Why? Aren't there dozens of other players with SD support? The point of Play Music is it uses the cloud.

Thermopyle posted:

Well we can already extrapolate what the options are going to be.

iPhone 6
Nexus 5 2014
Galaxy S 5
HTC One Two
Droid Ultimate/Hyper/Championship edition/Whatever (MAXX and Mini too)
Moto Y
G6 (skipping 3, 4 and 5 to be one higher than Samsung)
Galaxy Note 4
HTC One Two Max
823 different inconsequential pieces of garbage that aren't worth mentioning, most of which probably still run Gingerbread

I'm going to say if you don't get an iPhone, get a Nexus or the Moto Y. HTH.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why? Aren't there dozens of other players with SD support? The point of Play Music is it uses the cloud.

Well we can already extrapolate what the options are going to be.

iPhone 6
Nexus 5 2014
Galaxy S 5
HTC One Two
Droid Ultimate/Hyper/Championship edition/Whatever (MAXX and Mini too)
Moto Y
G6 (skipping 3, 4 and 5 to be one higher than Samsung)
Galaxy Note 4
HTC One Two Max
823 different inconsequential pieces of garbage that aren't worth mentioning, most of which probably still run Gingerbread

I'm going to say if you don't get an iPhone, get a Nexus or the Moto Y. HTH.

The HTC one two: what a combo.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Genderfluid posted:

I'm picking up my google glass today. i'm still not quite sure why, but it should be interesting at least.

Got my invite the other day, just can't do it. I definitely want Glass, but in no way for $1500. If anyone wants my invite code, PM me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Hahahah my replacement Nexus 5 arrived today. With a power button even more loose than the one I already have... Sent google play support another mail asking to just send the replacement back and be done with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The HTC One X came before the One, so HTC Fzero

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422778287"]
The HTC one two: what a combo.
Depending on sales of the 2014 model, the 2015 model will be called the HTC One Three, HTC One Two Two or the HTC it doesn't exist because we finally went bankrupt.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Nexus 5 camera becomes useable with 4.4.1: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5175568/fixing-the-nexus-5-android-4-4-1-improves-camera

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Clear the default for the stock player (Settings > Apps > that app > Clear defaults) and it should ask you the next time you attempt to open that filetype. You'll have to select MX Player > Always for every filetype but only once.

I can't find the default app, actually. I went through and cleared everything that mentioned video or any kind of player, but there's nothing obviously labeled 'default video player' or anything straightforward. Still doesn't seem to help. If I pull up an mp4 and hit play, it goes to some clunky ugly video player instead of mx player.

Anyone else with a nexus or on 4.4 that's run into this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

I can't find the default app, actually. I went through and cleared everything that mentioned video or any kind of player, but there's nothing obviously labeled 'default video player' or anything straightforward. Still doesn't seem to help. If I pull up an mp4 and hit play, it goes to some clunky ugly video player instead of mx player.

Anyone else with a nexus or on 4.4 that's run into this problem?
What are you pulling up the mp4 in?

• Locked thread