Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I run a Wolverine/Bullseye/Classic Hawkeye Team. No regrets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

delfin posted:

4) I'm going to go against popular opinion and say The Hood. In some ways, he's REALLY situational; Intimidation isn't much without Countdown tiles and Twin Pistols is too expensive. But Dormammu's Aid at level five is nasty, and his stats are surprisingly high. His Yellow base value is Spidey-good and he's got more Black than Doom does. If you can build up his passive he can be interesting.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with both of them, but I honestly would probably put him above Doom. Or maybe I would if his pistols didn't end the turn. Doom has just been really ineffective for me and The Hood always surprises me at how decent he ends up being.

Also buffed Bullseye was loving awesome in the jungle level. Sure his black move was expensive but all you had to do was activate it once to win the match with a forest fire. He was like some kind of reverse Smokey the Bear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just cant take the Hood seriously because HE'S WEARING A CLOAK OVER A LEATHER JACKET and is only a neckbeard and a few pounds away from being more of a complete idiot.

As I found out last night, Doom and Magneto can clash hilariously if you dont order your moves correctly and play Doom's Blue before Magneto's Purple, since Magneto's purple needs blue and red tiles to work, while Doom's blue power destroys blue tiles.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

I just cant take the Hood seriously because HE'S WEARING A CLOAK OVER A LEATHER JACKET and is only a neckbeard and a few pounds away from being more of a complete idiot.

As I found out last night, Doom and Magneto can clash hilariously if you dont order your moves correctly and play Doom's Blue before Magneto's Purple, since Magneto's purple needs blue and red tiles to work, while Doom's blue power destroys blue tiles.

Look man, he's just a mook with a magical cloak. He doesn't want to dress like some wizard or vampire or whatever other bullshit so he just throws it on over his regular clothes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Yeah, I put Bullseye low in my rankings but anyone on that list from him on up has solid uses. Bullseye is probably more useful overall than Loki is, but Lightning Round buffs push all five 3* villains up.

As for Hood vs. Doom, apples and oranges. Doom is built to kill, Hood is built to peck you to death, both are effective.

Yes, the cloak makes Hood look like a tool, but if I had an invisibility cloak I'd use it too. Besides, there are worse fashion statements among Marvel villains.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

delfin posted:

9) Moonstone has potential but isn't there yet. Control Shift obviously requires something to control, Photon Blast could be disgusting after a Forest Fire but is otherwise weak, and Gravity Warp is underwhelming.
I had her Control Shift a Recharge token once. That was pretty funny for how utterly ineffective it was.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

These Lightning Rounds really are nuts and frustrating. I was just in 26th place with <1 m to go, I entered a battle and quickly won it for an extra 19 points, and I ended up "Top 100" with a Heroic token instead of a Diabolical.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jibo posted:

Also buffed Bullseye was loving awesome in the jungle level. Sure his black move was expensive but all you had to do was activate it once to win the match with a forest fire. He was like some kind of reverse Smokey the Bear.

As fun as it can be to use Forest Fire I've found that with Two Star Black Widow on my team that it's a waste to do anything other than use Thorned Rose repeatedly unless my opponent really needs to have all of their AP wiped and Widow can't steal enough to make it moot / let me kill them in one turn.

My Widow is only 29 but thanks to her I churned through that Top Shot tournament ending up using only one health pack.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I've given up on the lightning rounds. I dropped like 400 places in a span of 10 minutes and my match-ups are constantly high level ragnaroks with 8000hp. I simply dont have the team and determination to fight the poopsockers anymore :/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm getting the feeling I shouldn't be messing with the lightning rounds. I just started a few days ago and I've been just clearing poo poo as I can. I can at least reach that first free standard roll so I run it up to that but there's a lot of high level teams I'm getting paired up with.

I'm still wrangling most of the mechanics but I'm definitely enjoying it way more than the first time I played it.

I've rolled a classic spider-man, grey suit black widow, daken, then the newbie im, hawkeye, storm and bw.

I can see myself needing to farm ISO because leveling all this stuff may take a while.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Lightning Rounds are a perfectly good source of free ISO and Standard tokens even if you have no chance at the big rewards. Villain on a stick - (some combo of Thor - Wolverine - Storm Classic - Widow Grey - etc) will let you battle similar teams to your heart's content and go for Top 100 finishes for a Heroic token, and if nothing else you can suck up ISO from those lower-level battles.

Got my last Magneto Blue and held back from attacking known goons in the process (hello SpenceInBlue). Mine is now 5/2/5 and since Red requires Top 2 I'll sit back and let others fight it out from here on out. Hood is 1/2/3, Rag is 1/1 and Loki is 1/2, so those three are still fair game.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Sorry for hitting you a couple times on that one delfin (I think), you were a great help to landing a Diabolical token and thus a Magneto blue though :)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hah, I didn't recognize you. No worries, I'm fair game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So I haven't been able to play for most the week. So I decided to win my first double shot match. I have to skip 40+ level 100ish ragnarok and spidey teams before I can find someone I can beat. Did the meta change that much already? I don't know if I can even play anymore at this rate.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Shwqa posted:

So I haven't been able to play for most the week. So I decided to win my first double shot match. I have to skip 40+ level 100ish ragnarok and spidey teams before I can find someone I can beat. Did the meta change that much already? I don't know if I can even play anymore at this rate.

I started my Double Shot this morning and I didn't notice anything like that at all

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My Double Shot is nothing like that. I just scroll through until I see a level 15 Iron Man with a decent point value, beat them, and repeat. I'm barely even using health packs with a level 60 IM40, level 40 Storm Classic, and level 60 Daken.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously? I just counted and it took me 17 skips to find a team that wasn't 3* heroes in the 100ish range. Level 90ish im40 and max level Thor and storm are the easiest battles I can find.

Also what's up with storm? Her new yellow is weak but pissing me off. It trigger even if you hit her. There just no way to avoid getting 300-600 damage to everyone now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Storm modern just got nerfed into uselessness. Her yellow passive no longer gives red ap, and the damage it deals is just over 300 at max level and rank unless your whole team is below 50% health. She just lost all of her synergy and most of her usefulness. I think I might go back to regular storm for ap building.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Storm modern just got nerfed into uselessness. Her yellow passive no longer gives red ap, and the damage it deals is just over 300 at max level and rank unless your whole team is below 50% health. She just lost all of her synergy and most of her usefulness. I think I might go back to regular storm for ap building.

Except now she is even more annoying to fight. Feral claws does enough damage to her to set her off. I used to use 3-4 feral claws on her and mop up. Now that would be 900-1200 damage to my whole team.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

A.o.D. posted:

What update is this? I don't see anything about it on the D3 forums.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Maybe I've just been using her wrong the whole time, but i've always found Cstorm's blue more useful anyway, especially for keeping those drat high level Ragnaroks stunned while taking down weaker members at the same time. Sure it was nice when I could get teams to kill themselves, but I think I can still use her without it.

That said, it does seem pretty heavy-handed though, and a lot of people are going to be pissed.

EDIT: Hmm, that is going to be a pain in the rear end with the passive triggering on her now too though.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 5, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
A seemingly reasonable tweak. It eliminates villain-on-a-stick as a solid tourney technique and changes the dynamics of fighting her (now she's not a meat shield to always be eliminated first lest you be whirled to death, so if a teammate is dangerous you can go after him first and suck up the mini-whirlwinds). The lack of Red AP will help eliminate Thor-Storm as the default pairing.

(The update pushes itself silently -- I quit the app and came back and it loaded with the new power definition.)

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I was seriously thinking of taking my C.Storm from lv50 to 85 today. Glad I didn't.

Maybe I'll bring my 5/5/3 M.Hawkeye up to that level and use him as my new C.Storm replacement!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thank loving god, now unless she has a buffed tournament she won't be such a pain. Modern Storm is better anyway--and I can't wait to see a buffed modern storm tournament so I can start off with a turn 1 Red Skill on the thorns area and chain reaction that into an endless loop of forest fires :unsmigghh:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Not a bad haul for the lightning rounds. I got two covers for each villain except The Hood who I only got one for. Of course one of my Rag covers was for his red ability, which I've already maxed but I'm still pretty happy with how this round went.

Now I'm heading out of town for the next 36 hours or so and I'm really hoping I'll be home in time to smash a slacker bracket for the IM40 event tomorrow.

E: Whoa missed some posts there. I have mixed feelings on the CStorm change. On one hand, wind raves are going to become more common but probably less deadly. On the other hand, I really liked that drat red AP. Good thing I went 5/5/3 anyway.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 5, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Except now she is even more annoying to fight. Feral claws does enough damage to her to set her off. I used to use 3-4 feral claws on her and mop up. Now that would be 900-1200 damage to my whole team.

Best change ever.

Edit: This works out to a bit of a buff for Classic Storm IMO. The passive was rarely triggered much post-HP to selected characters buff, and the Blue/Green abilities were always the stars of the show. This just makes CStorm as colossal pain in the rear end to attack, not really a big threat but losing 600ish HP off all your characters per attack adds up fast enough to make her a pretty effective deterrent. The only part that really stings is losing the bonus red AP when it triggers.

Oh and my decision to go 5/5/3 is totally vindicated now. :v:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 5, 2013

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
What do the yellow L4 and L5 upgrades add now then? (L3 and L5 used add extra red ap...)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I guess it's time to integrate Classic Spidey into my teams again for fighting against Cstorm, gotta stun her for those big Thor turns or Wolverine cascades...

I think it's an okay sidegrade, I'll be skipping a few more CStorm teams out of annoyance instead of actively hunting them now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

vibratingsheep posted:

I think it's an okay sidegrade, I'll be skipping a few more CStorm teams out of annoyance instead of actively hunting them now.

This is why I'm happy with the change. You're unlikely to lose to a CStorm team, but you won't get out without taking at least a little damage.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Moonstone's Gravity Warp got changed too. My Level 3 with a L17 Moonstone:

quote:

Moonstone manipulates gravity, warping a random Purple, Black, Red or Yellow Special tile to the location of a chosen basic tile, swapping them. If there are no valid Special tiles, the warp collapses doing 195 damage.

L4 adds Blue Specials and increases collapse damage slightly, so I'd assume L5 adds Greens.

EDIT: Also, the Storm changes just show how much they love one particular character. Now Storm is harder to fight against without taking damage, unless you have someone with an easy stun or a cheap heal. Hmmm. Who's the one character with both of those?

delfin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 5, 2013

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Oh hey. So I had installed the Steam beta on a fresh Steam profile in case I got in trouble for messing with the files and I just found out that I can play the game in my regular Steam account as well. So I guess if you have any buds you want to let sign into your account you can do that and then they can download the game and play on their regular account

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

A new PvE event just started. The top rewards are 3* Punishers. The grey ability is kinda cool, it looks like it creates a repeating countdown tile that adds red damage tiles every two turns. If the top skill level adds multiple tiles, I could see it being fun to use.

I am holding off a bit from joking the event to avoid the initial rush of top players. It looks like the devs have learned from their past events, as the top non-leaderboard awards are at 30,000 points. The good news is the event lasts over 9 days.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Here are the 12/5 patch notes complete with the Moonstone and CStorm changes:

- Fixed difficulty ratings of missions in Prologue - Venom, Oscorp, and Dark Avengers. Actual difficulty of enemies was unchanged.

Moonstone has further harnessed her Kree powers and brought down the sheer chaos of her Gravity Warp. She has learned to create a localized Gravity Warp that weakens her opponent's powers and can cause massive explosions on enemies that are not actively using powers.
Moonstone (Dark Avengers Ms. Marvel)
Gravity Warp - Purple 8 AP
Moonstone manipulates gravity, warping a random Purple or Black Special tile to the location of a chosen basic tile. If there are no valid Special tiles, the warp collases doing 75 damage.

Level 2: Can warp Red Special tiles. Collapse damage increased to 86.
Level 3: Can warp Yellow Special tiles. Collapse damage increased to 98.
Level 4: Can warp Blue Special tiles. Collapse damage increased to 109.
Level 5: Can warp any Special tile. Collapse damage increased to 120.

Storm has seen changes in her ability to reactively control winds in the wake of this latest exposure to Unstable Iso-8. while her Wind Storms under active control are still at full power, her ability to passively control debris and winds has been reduced.
Storm (Classic)
Raging Tempest - Yellow Passive
(PASSIVE) Storm surrounds her team with a whirling tempest that unleashes fury when provoked. If a team member is damaged for 20% of their max health, it deals 19 damage to all enemies. If every team member is below 50% health, damage increases to 125.

Level 2: 23 base damage. 150 damage if team below 50% health.
Level 3: 27 base damage. 175 damage if team below 50% health.
Level 4: 30 base damage. 200 damage if team below 50% health.
Level 5: 34 base damage. 225 damage if team below 50% health.

I think I'm most excited by the moonstone change since now you have to stun CStorm to get away squeaky clean. Her previous board churn was just a weird/baby version of Loki's recently updated purple power. Now at least you can drop a special tile in between two like colored ones. Might not seem like much, but poo poo only costs 5 purple and who knows, you could potentially line up some cascades. She's looking like a pretty decent utility character between this new special tile counter and her black countdown timer counter.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Oh God The Hunt owns, Punisher owns and this game owns. Progression rewards are kind of poo poo though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thor makes this whole thing a joke. My only gripe is the repeatables. Im required to have an IM40? That's bullshit. And the other two are way out of my level.

I dunno, maybe a level 40 Thor could still take them, but the fact I need to use a Grey Widow makes me a little leery.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
They finally buff Grey Widow and it's a PVE event? And only 50%? What the hell, man.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

seravid posted:

They finally buff Grey Widow and it's a PVE event? And only 50%? What the hell, man.

I know, right? I'm pumping out 1000 damage MMs with Thor, but her 15 green AP snipe ability is still only around 750.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What does Grey Widow's Purple skill do? Just converts a couple tiles to Green tiles?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

triplexpac posted:

What does Grey Widow's Purple skill do? Just converts a couple tiles to Green tiles?

Of your choice. At higher levels it's kinds ridiculous but I only have level 1 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

triplexpac posted:

If by a couple you mean six, yes.