Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Furism posted:

Just wanted to say, last night I finished going through Dragon's Eye in IWD. People who complain about Dragon Age's Deep Roads being a drag don't know what they're talking about. I try to rest as little as possible but not being able to rest at all in the last two levels, now that was something else.

PS: It was great, don't get me wrong.

I played that recently for the first time and I had to go outside and rest a lot. A LOT. I got better at the game as it went on, but I still feel like that was an insane difficulty spike -- lots of the enemies are already hitting you for 15-20 HP damage, so spells were mandatory for most encounters (which means resting at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Furism posted:

Except for the miniature giant space hamster, isn't Coran better than Minsc if you're going to use them as archers?
Coran does have a 20 dex compared to Minsc's 15, giving him a +3 bonus and the +1 elf bonus. On the other hand, Coran is a multiclass character and will level more slowly than Minsc, meaning that his THAC0 will decrease more slowly which will mitigate that difference. Also with his 14 str, Coran can't use composite longbows.

Edit: I see that BGEE has kept his 3 dots in longbow, which gives him an additional +2 to hit and +1 damage over Minsc. Looks like Coran is better. His only disadvantage is that you can only get him later in the game and he may have fallen behind the party XP-wise.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 5, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vigilance posted:

Drow and other +ECL races can be nice to have in your party in IWD2 simply because IWD2 calculates XP gains for your party based on your total party level and it uses actual character level not effective character level. What that means is a party with a Drow in it will gain more xp than a party without one as the Drow party will have a lower party level than the other one.

What that can mean is your non ECL characters can level pretty fast thanks to the increased xp gain. I suppose it may balance out at some point and I've never sperged enough to know when or if that would be but early on that improved xp gain is nice.

Wow, I did not know this. Thanks for posting it. I'm a big fan of the underdark races and aasimars, so this is a big deal to me. However, I recently found a mod that removes ECL from the game entirely. Assuming that it's compatible with the IWD2 Tweak Pack, I plan to use it my next run through.

Selane posted:

Haha, that pretty much mirrors my experience exactly. I just finished the Ice Fortress and glanced at a walkthrough table of contents basically and saw that there's like 700 areas after this. This game is pretty insane, I love how almost every fight is vs like 10+ enemies and a lot are way more than that. I mean, at the end of the Goblin Fortress thing I'm pretty sure there were like 30 enemies onscreen at once.

And yeah, it's nice how every class is useful. I wouldn't be caught dead using them in BG2 but things like single class Cleric/Druid/Rogue are actually good in this game. Though my Rogue actually started out with one level in Fighter(mainly to get all the martial weapon feats for free).

One thing I like is that bards, while being generally brilliant, can fill in for your rogue in IWD2. I don't care much for rogues for reasons I can't entirely pin down, but I just don't and I like that my bard can admirably take over the role of trap finder and lock picker. In Icewind Dale 1, you basically have to have a rogue. Now, IWD1 uses 2nd edition rules (sigh) but one of the few upsides to 2nd edition rules is that muticlass rogues work quite well. Still, I'd rather not have one. Single-class bards are really groovy in IWD1 as well after being phenomenally not groovy in the BG games (the kits are nice, granted). Having both feels redundant, but you really can't get away with not having a rogue of some sort in IWD1 while bards are too good to refuse. It's kind of a pain.

Devorum posted:

I've discovered that not only is Mazzy, who I have never used over at least 6-7 playthroughs in the last decade, a Great Character, but that a party with her, Keldorn, Jaheira, Jan, and Neera has amazing banter. I've since traded Jan for Imoen, and I'm really missing his banter. But...I didn't want to have him stranded in the Asylum. I might pick him back up when I get back to the surface...I know Imoen is my sister and all, but she is really very bland.

VVVVVV I have a love/hate relationship with Dragon's Eye. I think it is a wonderfully designed area, but not being able to rest makes it quite a challenge which can become frustrating on higher difficulty levels. That said, it really makes you think about conserving your resources, rather going with the "2 hour workday" method. I'm already planning another IWD playthrough when I'm done with BG2.

Dragon's Eye is... something, that's for bloody certain. I've tried to play Heart of Fury mode in IWD2 and it's hard to the point of being stupid and unfun. AC means nothing and goblins hit for 30 damage a pop and never miss, things like that. It reminds me a lot of Throne of Bhaal where one has no choice but to abuse certain buffs because having a -14 AC and being encased in the +8 Full Plate of gently caress Everyone means bugger all when yard trash has a -10 Thac0. The Tweak Pack for IWD2 has a component, which I find very sensible for balance, where heavy armour actually absorbs some damage. In the base game, it's patently superior to have someone with light/medium armour and a really high dex regardless of the situation. With this mod, it's more balanced and intuitive... lower-dex tanks in heavy plate get hit more often but take less damage per, while lighter classes get hit less but suffer more damager per hit. It makes it so that you can make a paladin or a warrior, who is going to be in a full metal tuxedo the whole game, without having to spend precious attribute points in dexterity to make him viable.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Devorum posted:

I've discovered that not only is Mazzy, who I have never used over at least 6-7 playthroughs in the last decade, a Great Character, but that a party with her, Keldorn, Jaheira, Jan, and Neera has amazing banter. I've since traded Jan for Imoen, and I'm really missing his banter. But...I didn't want to have him stranded in the Asylum. I might pick him back up when I get back to the surface...I know Imoen is my sister and all, but she is really very bland.

Mazzy has the best responses to some of the ToB events as well. She's got the "Whelp, I'm a Halfling gearing up to rekill a god, this is a bit more then I planned this morning." thing down pat.

Honestly, I've never figured out why people don't use her more. She's got a ton of banter with fellow great characters Jan, Keldorn, and Minsc, has some amazing stats, and by the end of SoA will be a Grandmaster in multiple things. Hell, she's actually unkillable at the end of ToB with Hardiness, since Halflings have such high saving throws. She can be used to easily cheese most of the Ascension fights.

My inability to have a party without Jan/Mazzy at the very least is one of the big reasons I can't beat BG2 evil.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't use her at first because her concept seems weak, a halfling warrior who uses short swords just didn't sit as well with me as keldorn with his giant twohanded sword. She is legitimately great though, and the Jennifer Hale connection is news to me but that makes it even better.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Excuse me, but Mazzy is obviously meant to wield Foebane when she's not using a bow. It's a holy sword for non-paladins!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Any trip reports on Sword Coast Stratagems for the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2? I beat Baldur's Gate 1 with it a while ago using the Big World Project and it was basically the hardest game I've ever played, especially since I was using pre-buffing mages. I'm trying it again with the enhanced edition and it seems that either there have been some alterations the mod, or its the enhanced edition, because it seems to be even harder. I've played partway through BG2 previously not using the enhanced edition, but it seems to take the combat to a whole other level and I'm wondering if it won't be too ridiculous to bother with. I like a challenge but is it just totally inconceivable for someone who hasn't beaten it at least once?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 5, 2013

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a
What's the best way to change a party member´s class now that Level 1 NPCs is not compatible with BG2:EE? Best way as in getting accurate number of weapon proficiency points etc? Should I just use EEKeeper to make the NPC level 1 and then use cluaconsole to get the experience back?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What exactly is the trigger for finishing Kivan's quest? Apparently the timer was drastically shortened in the Enhanced Edition. He started complaining just as I was finishing the Nashkel Mines.

Do I have to annihilate every single bandit or is simply tracking down the camp enough? I'm doing an ironman run, so I'm not exactly eager to go on a kamikaze attack against the bandits but it may be necessary.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

What exactly is the trigger for finishing Kivan's quest? Apparently the timer was drastically shortened in the Enhanced Edition. He started complaining just as I was finishing the Nashkel Mines.
In my last game I made a beeline for the bandit camp and cleared it out after he complained to me and he never tried leaving. I don't know if visiting the bandit camp area suffices to satisfy him so I finished the area to be on the safe side.

What level are you? The camp might be doable if you can peel off the bandits in small numbers. (I hope you have Resist or Remove Fear for the boss fight.)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

What level are you? The camp might be doable if you can peel off the bandits in small numbers. (I hope you have Resist or Remove Fear for the boss fight.)

Level 4 (5 for the thieves), so the camp is doable, if not exactly a smart choice. To be honest it's a while since I've played BG without SCS installed so I'm not sure what to expect. I may do a frontal assault just to be safe. Infiltrating the camp is a pain since there's no room to maneuver after the fight in the tent.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Level 4 (5 for the thieves), so the camp is doable, if not exactly a smart choice. To be honest it's a while since I've played BG without SCS installed so I'm not sure what to expect. I may do a frontal assault just to be safe. Infiltrating the camp is a pain since there's no room to maneuver after the fight in the tent.
Having just done this (4s on most but Minsc and Dyanheir who were level 3 because I picked them up late), it's totally plausible, so long as you get out of the tent and then peel off to the right and go kinda clockwise bushwacking small groups of bandits to get back to eventually get to the left so you can move out.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

The Bandit Camp is A LOT easier without SCS. Better calls for help draws the entire camp down on you, including the difficult boss enemies in the building, the minute you attack anyone. SCS also increases Black Talons levels and (obviously) makes the mage and clerics cast spells more efficiently. Bandit Camp in SCS is a scary thing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yup, without SCS I can hit and run with impunity.

Hit and run is also my only option now. Dorn was annihilated by Taugosz and two archers rolling 6 natural 18s and 19s in a row. :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think Mazzy kind of suffers from where she joins you. By the time you're all the way over to where she is, you're probably already fairly entrenched with who you're going to use.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

I just did the bandit camp in my current run at the same level and had no problems. I didn't infiltrate it either but approached it from the west and slowly killed off the bandits before attacking the main tent.

DeathChicken posted:

I think Mazzy kind of suffers from where she joins you. By the time you're all the way over to where she is, you're probably already fairly entrenched with who you're going to use.
The reason I haven't really used Mazzy is her weapon proficiencies. Shortswords seem like an odd choice for a fighter. And at the level you get her, starting to put points on a different weapon seems quite inefficient.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah, Mazzy is cool and all (she was in my party the first time I beat ToB) but she just begs to be Level1NPC'ed into something better.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

The reason I haven't really used Mazzy is her weapon proficiencies. Shortswords seem like an odd choice for a fighter. And at the level you get her, starting to put points on a different weapon seems quite inefficient.

If you want Mazzy early there is no reason you can't get her right at the beginning. Just stop at the Umar Hills and then go straight to the Temple Ruins.

Not sure if they fixed this for BG2EE, but the level 9 version of her gets a bonus proficiency (she should have 7 pips at level 9 but has 8). If you want to customize her get her at level 8 and start assigning proficiencies to whatever you want. She'll be specialized by level 12 and you can use bows until then. She gets 5 APR with Tuigan.

Mazzy's sword is also a much better weapon than is commonly believed, since contrary to the item description it applies all of the Slow debuffs (half move, reduce to 1 APR, double casting time) and not just -2 move. This makes it a mini-Flail of the Ages because even though it has a save most enemies will fail it after a few hits.

You can pick up Short Sword of the Mask at the beginning of the game too, which is as good or better than most of the other early game weapons. With that you are set through the rest of the game, although by ToB you will be able to master several other weapons too.

And she has some of the best banters.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Had a weird bug with BG2EE and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. After getting the real Hexxat I had used the EE version of the character editing program to change her into a bounty hunter kit, as well as reassign her thief skills more intelligently. Following that, she died during a combat encounter, and when I went to the inn to rest, she respawned as the gas cloud that all vampires turn into when you reduce their HP to 0. She's otherwise fully functional, but her paper doll on the equipment screen is completely gone, and she is now effectively immortal, as I saw her drop into -47 HP during a subsequent fight and slowly regen everything back. I'm kind of bummed though because having a thief who is literally indestructible trivializes what is already an easy game, but also because it seems like her being stuck in cloud form had broken her personal quest. I got the cat paw staff from the one mummy tomb, and after leaving there's seemingly nothing I can do with the treasure, and no random NPCs are running up to me to further the quest.

I tried using the EE character editor to set her race back to human and the kill her and then respawned her, but it doesn't seem like any of my fuckery has fixed the issue. Has anyone else encountered something similar or know of a way to fix it?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

homeless poster posted:

Had a weird bug with BG2EE and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. After getting the real Hexxat I had used the EE version of the character editing program to change her into a bounty hunter kit, as well as reassign her thief skills more intelligently. Following that, she died during a combat encounter, and when I went to the inn to rest, she respawned as the gas cloud that all vampires turn into when you reduce their HP to 0. She's otherwise fully functional, but her paper doll on the equipment screen is completely gone, and she is now effectively immortal, as I saw her drop into -47 HP during a subsequent fight and slowly regen everything back. I'm kind of bummed though because having a thief who is literally indestructible trivializes what is already an easy game, but also because it seems like her being stuck in cloud form had broken her personal quest. I got the cat paw staff from the one mummy tomb, and after leaving there's seemingly nothing I can do with the treasure, and no random NPCs are running up to me to further the quest.

I tried using the EE character editor to set her race back to human and the kill her and then respawned her, but it doesn't seem like any of my fuckery has fixed the issue. Has anyone else encountered something similar or know of a way to fix it?

Hexxat seems buggy as gently caress, I've had her get stuck a few different ways. There's two things that might be able to fix it:

1) Cast Raise Dead on her. She should immediately die again, but if you rest she should pop back up like normal. This may or may not fix it.
2) Reform party and remove her, but allow her back in when she walks up to you. CHARNAME will end up with her special inventory item, but it will still work fine.

Also as far as her quest goes, after you get the cat paw staff you have to wait a week before the NPC shows up for it.

Also if Hexxat is confused or stunned or whatever and takes enough damage that it would kill her, she won't actually die until it wears off and her special deal will trigger. If you heal her before it wears off, she won't actually die.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 5, 2013

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Ah, but she is a Halfling, and I am racist against Halflings. I just can't take them seriously. Gnomes too. I should probably have taken Mazzy and Jan because it is likely the last time I will ever play the game, but whatevs.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Do I have to annihilate every single bandit or is simply tracking down the camp enough? I'm doing an ironman run, so I'm not exactly eager to go on a kamikaze attack against the bandits but it may be necessary.

You have to defeat the bandit leader, then go talk to Officer Vai in Beregost with no bandit scalps in your inventory. This triggers the end of the bandit quest, and also triggers Kivan's "We gotta kill Tazok!" quest.

As to why I never chose Mazzy before...I guess I was just racist/classist against halfling fighters. Now I think she'll be on every single run. I also think it is awesome that she now has a statue of herself in her hometown!

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

homeless poster posted:

Had exactly the same issue. Fixed it by kicking her out then accepting back in, then going into EE keeper, loading an earlier save, and copying over the lost equipment, give or take a few items, then deleted the casque from Charname's inventory and put it into hers.

Then, when she died next time she did it again, but at least this time she had the decency to drop her items before she turned into ghostcloud. I will not be using her in the future. P.S., I had to enter and leave the slums a few times after getting the thingamybob from the monk tomb to get the NPC to fire, maybe try that after fixing her?

I also got an interesting bug - the helm of balduran transformed into a vanilla helmet somewhere along the way. Its entirely possible that I misclicked after a Dorn death and just gave him the wrong one, but I strongly doubt it as its something you tend to keep track of. Sigh.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Furism posted:

Except for the miniature giant space hamster, isn't Coran better than Minsc if you're going to use them as archers?

As for sacrificing party members, that's why I played as chaotic good and had to lead Jaheira in a pit full of Gnolls for the :airquote: greater good :airquote:

This is my first time playing BG1, so I am probably doing it wrong. I've got him dual-wielding maces so he can use the Stupifier, since he was the only character with any mace proficiencies at the time. He's carrying a very nice longbow I found around as a backup (again, only one who could use it) but mostly I just let him wade in and smack things.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Devorum posted:

You have to defeat the bandit leader, then go talk to Officer Vai in Beregost with no bandit scalps in your inventory. This triggers the end of the bandit quest, and also triggers Kivan's "We gotta kill Tazok!" quest.
In my previous game I recruited Kivan right at the start of the game and cleared out the bandit camp but never talked to Officer Vai and Kivan never left during the around 130 days my party was together.

Then again I was in a panic because of Kivan's thread to leave and rushed to clear out the bandit camp without ever speaking to the child messenger or Vai. As a result she never spawned in that game.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

homeless poster posted:

All of the new NPCs' quests are horrendously buggy and it gets a thousand times worse in ToB. Just make a ton of backup saves because there's at least one bug I can remember that renders you unable to even progress through the game anymore.

I never had the Hexxat bug, but have you tried removing her from the party and sending her back to the Coronet, resting for a couple days, then going to see if she's still all hosed up?

Got sick of my evil BG2 playthrough because other than Dorn it seems pretty dull, so I just bought IWD2! Any helpful advice for a first playthrough other than bards and druids are really good?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Any trip reports on Sword Coast Stratagems for the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2? I beat Baldur's Gate 1 with it a while ago using the Big World Project and it was basically the hardest game I've ever played, especially since I was using pre-buffing mages. I'm trying it again with the enhanced edition and it seems that either there have been some alterations the mod, or its the enhanced edition, because it seems to be even harder. I've played partway through BG2 previously not using the enhanced edition, but it seems to take the combat to a whole other level and I'm wondering if it won't be too ridiculous to bother with. I like a challenge but is it just totally inconceivable for someone who hasn't beaten it at least once?

I just played through sword coast strategems with Bg1: EE and I had pre buffing, etc enabled. I didn't find it too difficult except for a few fights. I did uninstall it at the very end because the Sarevok fight was too frustrating for me. I also found it rather annoying how it was next to impossible to dispel enemy mages but they could easily do so to me.

The key is to make full use of all the resources the game offers you. Don't be afraid to use potions, rest a lot, and go into any remotely difficult fight buffed to the gills. You're also going to want to have certain spells memorized as they will be lifesavers for you. Spell thrust is great if you can find it (I did, but I forget where) as it removes minor globe of invulnerability which enemy mages almost always have up with prebuffing on. Once that globe is down you can hit enemy mages with area effect spells like web etc which can immobilize them for your fighters which you can then protect with freedom or magic resist pots and go to town. I won a lot of fights against mages that way. You're also going to want spells memorized which dispel invisibility as mages love to go invis.

It's mostly a matter of finding the right method to defeat certain enemies. For mages I usually used that priest spell which canels invis (forget what it's called, it's level three i think) and then spell thrust to get rid of their globe of invuln and then web spammed them while wading in with my fighter/mage who would have a ring of freedom ready for that occasion. Tough melee enemies is just a matter of hasting everyone and doing everything you can to buff ac. Sometimes that's not enough and you kinda have to kite enemies that hit you too hard to go to toe to toe with.

The biggest thing to watch out for is enemies love to dispel with that mod. I never really found a good counter to it other than doing my best to prevent them from getting that spell off, or if that wasn't doable simply immediately re-doing as many of my buffs as I could. Another thing that's annoying is enemies use stoneskin but there's no breach scroll available in bg1. Certain weapons can hit even through stoneskin though, like that +2 longsword will still do its cold damage even through the stoneskin. That makes it invaluable for disrupting enemy mages.

It's not easy with that mod but it's definitely doable, you just have to have a good knowledge of game mechanics.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I'm playing BG2 in a window, is there an easy way to prevent the game from pausing when the window loses focus? I can't find any type of a variable for it in the config file, but drat do I want to alt-tab when running through town.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

fargom posted:

I'm playing BG2 in a window, is there an easy way to prevent the game from pausing when the window loses focus? I can't find any type of a variable for it in the config file, but drat do I want to alt-tab when running through town.

Yes there is, actually. I found it while trying to prevent my mouse cursor from leaving the edges of the screen because it hosed up mouse scrolling, but it keeps the game from pausing too.

Download CursorLock from here: http://www.snakebytestudios.com/projects/apps/cursor-lock/

Set up your options then make a shortcut with this in the Target field (change to match your file paths obviously):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cursor Lock\CursorLock.exe" /O:"D:\Games\BG2EE\Baldur.exe" /M:2 /F

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

Yes there is, actually. I found it while trying to prevent my mouse cursor from leaving the edges of the screen because it hosed up mouse scrolling, but it keeps the game from pausing too.

Download CursorLock from here: http://www.snakebytestudios.com/projects/apps/cursor-lock/

Set up your options then make a shortcut with this in the Target field (change to match your file paths obviously):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cursor Lock\CursorLock.exe" /O:"D:\Games\BG2EE\Baldur.exe" /M:2 /F

Thanks for this, it works to lock the cursor which is really nice, but I'm still getting the auto pause when I alt-tab. I'm running the gog version of BG2, with this shortcut:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cursor Lock\CursorLock.exe" /O:"C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate 2\bgmain.exe" /M:2 /F

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh I'm using the Enhanced Edition, which doesn't pause :( Not sure if there's anything you can do with the GoG version.

At least it worked to lock the cursor! Game was pretty unplayable for me until I found CursorLock

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrTheDevious posted:

Got sick of my evil BG2 playthrough because other than Dorn it seems pretty dull, so I just bought IWD2! Any helpful advice for a first playthrough other than bards and druids are really good?
Yeah, any fire damage from any source sets off the explosive barrels a few areas in. You'll know them when you see them.

This includes the Aasimar racial thing, and that's one of the most readily-available ranged sources early on.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Vigilance posted:

The key is to make full use of all the resources the game offers you. Don't be afraid to use potions, rest a lot, and go into any remotely difficult fight buffed to the gills.

This is why I love SCS. In normal BG, potions and wands may as well not be in the game since it is easily winnable without them. I'm a packrat which means I love collecting that stuff and hate using it, but SCS makes me. Those nine charges on Imoen's magic missile wand will get you through Tarnesh and Silke at least.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, any fire damage from any source sets off the explosive barrels a few areas in. You'll know them when you see them.

This includes the Aasimar racial thing, and that's one of the most readily-available ranged sources early on.

Awesome :v: I'm halfway through building my party now and one's an Aasimar already, so that rocks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrTheDevious posted:

Awesome :v: I'm halfway through building my party now and one's an Aasimar already, so that rocks.
Oh aye another thing - when you get paid for stuff, most of the time it gets put in your inventory as gold (I am unsure why this is, but this is how it is).

Click on it immediately and it gets deposited into your party gold. Absolutely do not think to yourself "hmm I wonder if I can put this in a chest" and put it inside an object, because it just makes that entity anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand gold richer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

Just wanted to say, last night I finished going through Dragon's Eye in IWD. People who complain about Dragon Age's Deep Roads being a drag don't know what they're talking about. I try to rest as little as possible but not being able to rest at all in the last two levels, now that was something else.

PS: It was great, don't get me wrong.
Second last level there's a party locked in the closet who can watch over you while you rest. Alternatively if your problem is actually fighting on the level, be meat shields with the tradeoff they will steal your experience and might die preventing you from resting while clearing out the next level without retreating all the way back to the second level.

The dungeon delving only gets deeper (or taller for a moment) from there.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Oh aye another thing - when you get paid for stuff, most of the time it gets put in your inventory as gold (I am unsure why this is, but this is how it is).

Click on it immediately and it gets deposited into your party gold. Absolutely do not think to yourself "hmm I wonder if I can put this in a chest" and put it inside an object, because it just makes that entity anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand gold richer.

Well that's a thing...

Just used bottomless bag of holding and cheated myself one since chests eat everything and I'm a huge packrat :(

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, I've tried all of those things and nothing seems to revert her from being a ghost cloud. Kicked her out and came back later - still ghost cloud. Tried to have my own party kill her so I could re-rez her, found out she now has infinite HP. Tried to just raise her with Jaheria's raise spell, doesn't do poo poo. I even went into EE keeper and tried to edit her back into a human and then kill her and then re-raise her as a vampire, and still I am defeated. I'm only moderately pissed because a pure thief isn't that hot to start with, but at the same time there's no one other than Yoshimo who I got early enough to place the thief skill points the way I wanted.

In the end I just used Keeper to turn Valygar into a dual F/T and it's worked better for me so far. Except for the part where if you re-allocate his ability points, he no longer counts as Valygar and he can't equip his family armor / katana.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

homeless poster posted:

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, I've tried all of those things and nothing seems to revert her from being a ghost cloud. Kicked her out and came back later - still ghost cloud. Tried to have my own party kill her so I could re-rez her, found out she now has infinite HP. Tried to just raise her with Jaheria's raise spell, doesn't do poo poo. I even went into EE keeper and tried to edit her back into a human and then kill her and then re-raise her as a vampire, and still I am defeated. I'm only moderately pissed because a pure thief isn't that hot to start with, but at the same time there's no one other than Yoshimo who I got early enough to place the thief skill points the way I wanted.

In the end I just used Keeper to turn Valygar into a dual F/T and it's worked better for me so far. Except for the part where if you re-allocate his ability points, he no longer counts as Valygar and he can't equip his family armor / katana.

Maybe try using EEKeeper to set her HP to 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think I've got a pretty swell team to kick Irenicus in his big jerk butt this time around. I have:

CHARNAME - a magnetic, mercurial and maladjusted Mage
Dorn - a bloodthirsty bisexual baritoned Blackguard
Rasaad - a mystical, masterful, maudlin Monk
Hexxat - a villainous vampire vixen
Neera - a willful, wacky, winsome Wild Mage
Wilson - a bear