Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Kumbamontu posted:

Karnivool's Asymmetry blew me away as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhfVNeJKaA

I really like Themata and Sound Awake but just can't get into this one. I owe it a few more spins though I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I was going to recommend this. Black Future is kinda better than Outer Isolation but they're both so good.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Incoherence posted:

I found Asymmetry kind of... uneven, I guess? :haw: Their previous album, Sound Awake, is a bit less weird.

Asymmetry was a big disappointment to me. Sonically, it's muddy as hell. As far as the songwriting goes, it is, as you say, hugely uneven. There's not much to get excited about after track 5.

Sound Awake, on the other hand, is probably the best prog rock album I've ever heard.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Those On My Left posted:

Asymmetry was a big disappointment to me. Sonically, it's muddy as hell. As far as the songwriting goes, it is, as you say, hugely uneven. There's not much to get excited about after track 5.
From beyond that point, Aeons and Sky Machine are both up there with the stuff on Sound Awake, but a lot of the other tracks are forgettable. Also I can't unhear the snare drum, which is mixed way too high for most of the album.

Also tossing in a recommendation for Symphony X as a prog-metal band to check out, since Michael Romeo is some sort of insane guitar-playing robot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Incoherence posted:

Also tossing in a recommendation for Symphony X as a prog-metal band to check out, since Michael Romeo is some sort of insane guitar-playing robot.
I literally cannot fathom how he plays guitar like that with those sausage fingers.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Everyone who enjoys prog metal should check out Caligula's Horse (http://caligulashorse.com/). Both their albums are really good, especially the 2013 album The Tide, the Thief, & the River's End. I don't think I've seen them posted here yet.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you guys have any recommended sites for buying metal tshirts, especially for older black metal bands (90s and earlier)?

Hell's Headbangers is pretty good for more obscure bands. Was able to snag a Blut Aus Nord shirt from there which was completely sold out everywhere else.

In other news, the (almost) complete Hellfest line-up was announced today:

If there ever was a reason to visit France...

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 4, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey, remember that time Gorguts and Eluveitie opened for Aerosmith? Good times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Have the Killers fallen so far that they are below a lesbian Led Zeppelin cover band on a bill? Or is there a band just called "Killers" that somehow hasn't been sued?

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

If you guys want some alternative/proggish metal, Shaolin Death Squad has all their albums up on Spotify. They're one of my favorite local bands from around Dallas. The drummer used to be one of the drummers for King Diamond, plus he was one of the drummers during the first Dethklok tour for a few stops. Their stage performance is kind of like Ghost, except they dress up in Shaolin Monk robes and wear kabuki masks. The singer has a beautiful voice and a pretty good growl and most of their songs have a nice eeriness to them, especially Intelligent Design (which I would recommend listening to first). Five Deadly Venoms is a concept album about the kung fu movie, also named Five Deadly Venoms, and is pretty fantastic as well.

Here's a song from Intelligent Design, A Story Lives Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaF9HfbqnY

Save Target As fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I love how Hellfest manages to get continually amazing and diverse line-ups practically every year. On both Friday and Sunday (especially Friday) I'd be hard pressed to choose what headliner I'd see.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
New Behemoth video is up. NSFW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTL1L8a6YI

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

het posted:

I thought they did a pretty good job with the stage themes. It does seem odd, though, that there are a bunch of '70s/80s hard rock bands on the biggest stages when that sort of music isn't represented on any other stage. "Mgla is amazing, but I gotta run to catch Buckcherry's set!"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

het posted:

I see the random concert generator is working as intended.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
My girlfriend and I saw Iron Reagan last night and they were beyond awesome. The real kicker was that they did a cover of "A Skull Full of Maggots" and it sounded amazing. I recommend more crossover bands do death metal covers.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Save Target As posted:

If you guys want some alternative/proggish metal, Shaolin Death Squad has all their albums up on Spotify. They're one of my favorite local bands from around Dallas. The drummer used to be one of the drummers for King Diamond, plus he was one of the drummers during the first Dethklok tour for a few stops. Their stage performance is kind of like Ghost, except they dress up in Shaolin Monk robes and wear kabuki masks. The singer has a beautiful voice and a pretty good growl and most of their songs have a nice eeriness to them, especially Intelligent Design (which I would recommend listening to first). Five Deadly Venoms is a concept album about the kung fu movie, also named Five Deadly Venoms, and is pretty fantastic as well.

Here's a song from Intelligent Design, A Story Lives Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaF9HfbqnY

I've only heard Five Deadly Venoms, but I liked it a bunch. The singer is basically Mike Patton with the insanity toned down.

Haken's new album is my favourite prog release of 2013, and the video for "Cockroach King" is my favourite music video of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_e4YX73Ww4

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ElectricWizard posted:

Hell's Headbangers is pretty good for more obscure bands. Was able to snag a Blut Aus Nord shirt from there which was completely sold out everywhere else.

In other news, the (almost) complete Hellfest line-up was announced today:

If there ever was a reason to visit France...

That is a LOT of bands. I guess this means Iron Maiden are doing a 2014 tour they haven't announced yet? Still need to see them before they get too old.

Edit: They did announce a (tiny) EU tour, oops

http://www.ironmaiden.com/maiden-summer-2014-tour--headline-date-at-sonisphere-knebworth-.html

Mostly just festivals

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Skjorte posted:

I've only heard Five Deadly Venoms, but I liked it a bunch. The singer is basically Mike Patton with the insanity toned down.

He gets that a lot, they're like a heavier Mr. Bungle sometimes, and they've done covers to reinforce this as well hah.

^^Bah Europe has some of the best music fests.

wuLFe
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I just noticed that Gorguts are doing a relatively limited tour of the US and Canada in mid December - seems to me they don't tour very often, and the lineup looks pretty great for fans of heavier technical death stuff - just thought I'd share (plus there's a Columbus, OH date, so for once a band isn't skipping out on my region for a change )

Support seems to vary, but Origin, Nero di Marte(???) and Dismemberment are the Columbus supporting acts.

Dec 11 Club Metronome Burlington, VT
Dec 12 The Webster Underground Hartford, CT
Dec 13 The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY
Dec 14 Alrosa Villa Columbus, OH
Dec 15 Cobra Lounge Chicago, IL
Dec 16 Bar Jug, Rochester, NY
Dec 17 The Annex Wreckroom Toronto, Canada
Dec 18 Mavericks Ottawa, Canada
Dec 19 Cegep de Limoilou, Quebec City, Canada
Dec 20 La Tulipe Montreal, Canada
Dec 21 Saint Vitus Brooklyn, NY

Hope this is of interest to some...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just watched the new Nightwish live DVD, Showtime, Storytime.

Really liked it. The band obviously enjoyed themselves a lot, and made even some songs I don't normally care overmuch about work really well. And if there still was any doubt, this show finally cements the fact that Floor Jansen is absolutely perfect for the band. She's such a charismatic performer and a fantastic singer, a better frontwoman than Tarja and Anette combined could ever be. She really is loving stellar.
I'm really glad they found her, too, since Nightwish have always been an important band to me and it's nice to see them get a booster shot like her. Now if they only started doing more older songs live again. I want to hear Floor sing Sacrament of Wilderness.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Any Vermont people here know of shows tomorrow night that aren't in Burlington? I'm getting dragged to a wedding in Woodstock and aside from the Long Trail brewery there ain't poo poo I can find to do around that town, and I know zero about Vermont.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wuLFe posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I just noticed that Gorguts are doing a relatively limited tour of the US and Canada in mid December - seems to me they don't tour very often, and the lineup looks pretty great for fans of heavier technical death stuff - just thought I'd share (plus there's a Columbus, OH date, so for once a band isn't skipping out on my region for a change )

Support seems to vary, but Origin, Nero di Marte(???) and Dismemberment are the Columbus supporting acts.

The Columbus show is the weekend after I'm done with Finals and return to Michigan for the holidays. :suicide:

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Nordick posted:

I just watched the new Nightwish live DVD, Showtime, Storytime.

Really liked it. The band obviously enjoyed themselves a lot, and made even some songs I don't normally care overmuch about work really well. And if there still was any doubt, this show finally cements the fact that Floor Jansen is absolutely perfect for the band. She's such a charismatic performer and a fantastic singer, a better frontwoman than Tarja and Anette combined could ever be. She really is loving stellar.
I'm really glad they found her, too, since Nightwish have always been an important band to me and it's nice to see them get a booster shot like her. Now if they only started doing more older songs live again. I want to hear Floor sing Sacrament of Wilderness.

My thoughts exactly. Tarja had that kind of disconnected ice queen stage persona, Anette always looked kind of terrified, but Floor always looks like she's having a blast. She headbangs. All the time. Tarja would never do that. And the power behind her voice, my god. I kind of want a new studio single of Ghost Love Score. And, speaking of Tuomas Holopainen, he's releasing a solo album about Scrooge McDuck for some unfathomable reason.

My sister dragged me to an Alestorm show the other day. Gypsyhawk probably would have been better if the lead wasn't very obviously drunk off his rear end, but they were fun. Trollfest are beautiful human beings and Alestorm are an instant cure for depression. Highlights were the Britney Spears cover and the weird dog song from Trollfest and Alestorm's Rugrats theme song cover.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

edrith posted:

My sister dragged me to an Alestorm show the other day. Gypsyhawk probably would have been better if the lead wasn't very obviously drunk off his rear end, but they were fun. Trollfest are beautiful human beings and Alestorm are an instant cure for depression. Highlights were the Britney Spears cover and the weird dog song from Trollfest and Alestorm's Rugrats theme song cover.

I saw that group in Ohio, really really loved Trollfest.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

edrith posted:

And, speaking of Tuomas Holopainen, he's releasing a solo album about Scrooge McDuck for some unfathomable reason.
Well there's a couple things that might help fathom it:

One, Disney's ducks are loving huge in Finland. I mean seriously, it's not just a matter of "very popular comics", the Donald Duck magazine is a drat national institution here and the last few generations have basically all grown up reading Donald and Scrooge and that lot. If there's even the vaguest context to go by, everyone will know what you're talking about if you just refer to "the ducks". And in this country that basically breathes Donald Duck, Don Rosa is the most popular "duck artist".

Two, Don Rosa's Scrooge stuff is a helluva lot deeper and more serious than Duck Tales or whatever. I mean it's not exactly Hugo Pratt, but the stuff can get surprisingly solemn and melodramatic. And I guess they also happen to have that certain kind of ~*MAGIC OF STORYTELLING*~ that a guy like Tuomas Holopainen would be a great fan of. And not undeservedly, they are legit really goddamn good comics. I don't think it's at all weird to have someone do a "soundtrack" for them.

And to compensate for that derail, here's a new single from Monument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tHrDK-wd0

It's pretty rad.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Brendan Radigan from Magic Circle went and made the best song of the year. poo poo loving rips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUqFukI4fM

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

het posted:

The way the multi-stage fest set up works it doesn't "feel" like a band in a complete other section of the fest is opening for the main stage bands.

Each stage could be it's own fest.

Don't you dare poo poo on Hellfest, I will punch you in the butt, het. :P

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

wuLFe posted:

Nero di Marte(???)

They are awesome and that is an incredible bill. I initially discovered them here, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd be supporting Gorguts on tour.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

The way the multi-stage fest set up works it doesn't "feel" like a band in a complete other section of the fest is opening for the main stage bands.

Each stage could be it's own fest.

Don't you dare poo poo on Hellfest, I will punch you in the butt, het. :P
I know I know, it's a joke! Still, you have to admit Crowbar immediately preceding Seether is pretty funny/awful, like I'm not even a particular fan

edit: don't get me wrong, that's a crazy amount of bands I'd like to see still

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

het posted:

I know I know, it's a joke! Still, you have to admit Crowbar immediately preceding Seether is pretty funny/awful, like I'm not even a particular fan

edit: don't get me wrong, that's a crazy amount of bands I'd like to see still

I quote this because this was exactly my thought process when I saw that lineup. I won't argue about which band is more "popular", but how do fans transition from one band onto the other after Crowbar? Everyone leaves and a new group of fans show up?. I do like a few Seether songs and wouldn't mind seeing them live but I can't listen to Crowbar and then be pumped to listen to Seether after them. I would easily find my way to a different stage if something more similar to Crowbar were playing. Way different styles.

Also, a few pages late but that Chthonic single really rocked my world. I was super into Seediq Bale when it came out, as in I couldn't stop listening for almost a year. Got the 2009 release and just wasn't into it that much. But that single rules and after listening to it too many times I now got into the 2009 album and picked up the newest one as well. This band seems to randomly be exactly what I enjoy for some reason.

e: And might as well pop this question since the holidays are coming... Has anyone heard anything about Death Metal Christmas? My buddy does vocals and his brother does the music. The brother is the bassist for Hate Eternal and my buddy is the vocalist for Monstrosity so it's not like it's some random goon friend link (although I do love those links and check them out).

Here's a link with a track:

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-hate-eternal-bassist-premieres-new-track-from-death-metal-christmas-album.html

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 6, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

It is very odd of Luc (or anyone) to construct a list of weird metal albums and not mention Nespithe.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Gamma Nerd posted:

It is very odd of Luc (or anyone) to construct a list of weird metal albums and not mention Nespithe.

It looks more like he's trying to score scene points with tech-heads than anything else. Most of those releases are in the last 2 years.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nordick posted:

One, Disney's ducks are loving huge in Finland. I mean seriously, it's not just a matter of "very popular comics", the Donald Duck magazine is a drat national institution here and the last few generations have basically all grown up reading Donald and Scrooge and that lot. If there's even the vaguest context to go by, everyone will know what you're talking about if you just refer to "the ducks". And in this country that basically breathes Donald Duck, Don Rosa is the most popular "duck artist".

Same goes for other right-thinking countries such as Norway. Given that we in this corner of the world where the duck comics are so big also have the greatest per-capita rate of metal bands, I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this came along.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Brendan Radigan from Magic Circle went and made the best song of the year. poo poo loving rips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUqFukI4fM

I loving loved Magic Circle's debut album and was almost ready to hand wave this as being more of the same but the second half of that song is so well executed. Really hope to see some more demos or an EP/LP out of this project sometime soon.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

wuLFe posted:

I will be at the Columbus, OH show as well with a few friends. We have been getting some great shots in the past couple months, and this is no exception.

I also saw Occultation last night, and they were really good. The two local openers were poo poo, but Occultation definitely brought the dissonant and depressing heavy/doom metal I was hoping for.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

It looks more like he's trying to score scene points with tech-heads than anything else. Most of those releases are in the last 2 years.

I'd like to call Poe's law but I know you're serious and actually think scene points exist. Pretty sweet seeing Chaining the Katechon though. Phenomenal EP right there, and no surprise at all with Ulcerate considering new Gorguts seems very heavily Ulcerate influenced.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

edrith posted:

She headbangs. All the time. Tarja would never do that.

Hey now! All the time would be nicer though.

Nordick posted:

Well there's a couple things that might help fathom it:

That and Tomas' love affair with anything Disney isn't exactly secret. drat your posts though because now you've got me wondering when Nightwish is coming to the states. I never thought I'd be tempted to go to a live show of theirs' again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well I no longer have to be mad about missing Gorguts in Columbus, because the Decibel Magazine tour was just announced and they are playing it, with Carcass headlining. Unfortunately they are behind the Black Dahlia Murder on the bill, but I can deal with it. The opener is Noisem. Are they any good?

Dates:

03/18 Orlando, FL – The Beachum Theater
03/19 Atlanta, GA – Masquerade
03/21 Dallas, TX – Prophet Bar
03/22 Austin, TX – Mohawk
03/24 Phoenix, AZ – The Press Room
03/25 Santa Ana, CA – The Observatory
03/26 San Francisco, CA – The Regency Ballroom
03/28 Vancouver, BC – Commodore Ballroom
03/29 Seattle, WA – Showbox Market
03/30 Portland, OR – Roseland Theater
04/02 Denver, CO – Summit Music Hall
04/04 Minneapolis, MN – Mill City Nights
04/05 Chicago, IL – House Of Blues
04/06 Columbus, OH – Newport Music Hall
04/07 Pittsburgh, PA – Stage AE
04/08 Toronto, ON – Sound Academy
04/09 Montreal, QC – Metropolis
04/10 Boston, MA – Paradise Rock Club
04/11 New York, NY – Best Buy Theater
04/12 Philadelphia, PA – Trocadero Theatre
04/13 Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Killsion posted:

I'd like to call Poe's law but I know you're serious and actually think scene points exist.
Wow, admitting you've never received any scene points? That's a ballsy move...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

het posted:

Wow, admitting you've never received any scene points? That's a ballsy move...

I have over 9000.