Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I'm enjoying the game a lot but I kinda feel like the progression is broken. The reward for beating the first boss is the ability to make an crafting station that lets you make gear that's worse than what you'd actually need to beat the boss at a reasonable pace in the first place.

Hopefully this gets sorted out at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They put a loading screen after the Chucklefish logo now.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Found a frog-man merchant in some underground brick house. He was selling bombs for 10 pixels each. I'm now sitting on 150 bombs. :toot:

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
If anyone other than me cares, making your assets directory a git repository works beautifully through patches. :)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Some really inventive and useful ideas and we're only on Day 2. It really makes me wonder about what kind of mods are really possible in this game, and what we'll see in the coming weeks and months.
Cuts both ways. A game so easily modded will be really neat from the adventure perspective. Ideally we'll be able to see a whole crap ton of unique dungeons, and level scaling, nevermind complete overhauls of the progression, making replays really dynamic.

On the other hand, it is going to make multiplayer a strange experience for the end user.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

Found a frog-man merchant in some underground brick house. He was selling bombs for 10 pixels each. I'm now sitting on 150 bombs. :toot:

I found one of those too. The whole environment he was in was strangely beautiful. He was the lone resident in some large subterranean ruins nestled on the bottom of an absolutely enormous cavern.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Garbage editing but I was dicking around with a few instruments and some .abc song files, including the GoT theme :buddy:

http://www.twitch.tv/realsouthernexp/b/485301754

I also showed off how to dupe near the end in the space ship. (This maybe got fixed in the patch that just launched)

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
Why are the executables so large for this game? It seems like every single patch will be 500+ mb.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kiggles posted:

Cuts both ways. A game so easily modded will be really neat from the adventure perspective. Ideally we'll be able to see a whole crap ton of unique dungeons, and level scaling, nevermind complete overhauls of the progression, making replays really dynamic.

On the other hand, it is going to make multiplayer a strange experience for the end user.

Level scaling would require modifying game logic which isn't possible at this point and may never be possible, unfortunately.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

You must tell me the planet coordinates. 10pixel bombs? I can hardly contain myself.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Patch increased the tileDamage of all pickaxes by 0.2. For reference, the diamond pick went from 2.5 to 2.7, and the stone pick went from 0.6 to 0.8.

e: ^ Sorry, I didn't save the coordinates. :(

e2: Dupe bug still works, if you're into that.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 6, 2013

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Butt Town posted:

Why are the executables so large for this game? It seems like every single patch will be 500+ mb.

The beta JUST came out for it, they are going to try and fix everything and add lots of stuff. The game is not finished in the slightest.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Update is loading! Yay!

Related:

:allears: This game

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Launcher now has a wiki :aaa:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spudd posted:

The beta JUST came out for it, they are going to try and fix everything and add lots of stuff. The game is not finished in the slightest.

The executables being 600mb doesn't strike me as a beta issue, I mean it's not exactly a bug, and it is a pretty big concern for people with bandwidth caps if there are going to be daily updates.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I feel like the awesome fort building aspects of the terraria/minecraft games aren't quite there with this one since you jump around so much. I definitely feel like an easy change would be to remove or lower fuel costs for the planet set as your home planet in a way that isn't abusable. Each world is definitely absolutely massive and if they do plan to add more subterranean stuff at some point it could be well worthwhile sticking around on one.

That or increase the size of ships, or give us a platform to build a space station/meteor fortress.

There are so many things I can critique about this game but I know I'm going to play it for hours again today ):

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Yeah, when I ran into a planet that had literal dick monsters on all fours farting at me, I knew I was hooked.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
A tip that might be good for the OP: Don't use regular beds! Things like the Apex torture table and the Avian sacrificial altar heal you 2.5 times as fast as a regular bed.

Also, if you find a human dungeon with heaters, take them! They have almost 3 times the range of campfires.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 6, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Spudd posted:

This is less of a beta issue and more of a they hosed up issue. This game is rife with questionable and downright dumb design decisions.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Miijhal posted:

I'm enjoying the game a lot but I kinda feel like the progression is broken. The reward for beating the first boss is the ability to make an crafting station that lets you make gear that's worse than what you'd actually need to beat the boss at a reasonable pace in the first place.

Hopefully this gets sorted out at some point.

On the flip side, the UFO boss is not the actual first boss in full release, they stole a finished boss from later in the game since the first level boss is unfinished. That is why it seems hard as hell and the equipment you have at that point worthless.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

gobbledygoat posted:

This is less of a beta issue and more of a they hosed up issue. This game is rife with questionable and downright dumb design decisions.

Sorry I am just used to beta patches being god drat huge so it doesn't strike me as odd for them to be like this but if it is a gently caress up on their end about this then I hope they figure it out before more patches are released.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gobbledygoat posted:

This isn't very fair. They haven't even attempted to balance any game mechanics yet, which is a beta issue. They just haven't gotten around to that yet. I don't know if the way armor and armor penetration works is great yet, but I'm going to hold back on criticizing the entire mechanic until they attempt to balance it.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Butt Town posted:

Holy christ how do you make a 600 meg exe what on earth :psyduck:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone had problems with the steam overlay not working at all with the game? Aside from that I haven't had any real issues.

Also I think mining sand and gravel and just riding it out might be one of my favorite things to do. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really wish you could teleport to your home planet.
I'd love to find a nice cozy planet and build a huge fancy decked out base with massive storage, then check back in there whenever I need to. But a round trip costs me 600 fuel, I have to sit through 2 warp sequences, and going back to the planet I was just on would require writing down the coords. A sudden teleport, even if it's with an item you have to unlock, would really be a godsend. Especially since the ships aren't really big enough for a real base. And even if they were bigger, their shape isn't modifiable. So even if I had to choose between bigger ships or a "warp to home planet" button I'd definitely choose the latter.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy crap, they weren't kidding when they said the pixel costs for armor was getting slashed! Silver Armor is only 60 pixels for all three pieces!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy crap, they weren't kidding when they said the pixel costs for armor was getting slashed! Silver Armor is only 60 pixels for all three pieces!

I was just coming in here to say this. I like it!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish you could teleport to your home planet.
I'd love to find a nice cozy planet and build a huge fancy decked out base with massive storage, then check back in there whenever I need to. But a round trip costs me 600 fuel, I have to sit through 2 warp sequences, and going back to the planet I was just on would require writing down the coords. A sudden teleport, even if it's with an item you have to unlock, would really be a godsend. Especially since the ships aren't really big enough for a real base. And even if they were bigger, their shape isn't modifiable. So even if I had to choose between bigger ships or a "warp to home planet" button I'd definitely choose the latter.

I still hope they reconsider preset ship shapes and change it to let the player design their own ships. After they axed the space station concept, I was bummed to hear that spaceships would have limited customization. I think being able to custom design your own ship from scratch would be an amazing feature and is exactly the kind of thing this game needs, so that feature's omission is a pretty big bummer.

Oh well, maybe we'll get it as post-release content.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemon King posted:

You can also add more sectors, increase the threatLevel ranges and change what biomes spawn in the sector.
If you add new sectors, is there any way to unlock them? I'd like to add one I can visit but I wouldn't know how to unlock it so I could actually go there.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Aw, I was hoping the Ferozium bug would have been fixed in this patch, but it's likely way down on the list of things to do.

Some screenshots of space adventure:

My favorite friendly aliens thus far, these things are adorably horrific.

Found a full wizard outfit and a guitar in a Glitch castle I raided. I celebrated with a serenade over the battlements. The local flying fauna were not amused.

Found in a sewer under some Glitch cultists. Why.

EDIT:

The view from above a tentacle planet is an intimidating one.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

If you add new sectors, is there any way to unlock them? I'd like to add one I can visit but I wouldn't know how to unlock it so I could actually go there.

You can add sectors to the unlock items in /assets/items/generic/celstial.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dezztroy posted:

You can add sectors to the unlock items in /assets/items/generic/celstial.
E: Oh, thanks! Will check this out.
The files are all surprisingly open, adding new stuff should be easy once I get a handle on adding recipes and making them automatically available.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Damiya posted:

Holy christ how do you make a 600 meg exe what on earth :psyduck:

I went and pulled apart the .exe out of curiosity and ~560 of it is purely in the form of a database hash table next to what appears to be a full set of initialization poo poo.

It's loving weird and I don't even know what they're doing with it in there.

Lots of stuff about LUA is also included, so I guess that'll be in for modding at some point?

All in all the file is ~1,3million lines long, so someone else can have fun parsing it all.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Is it just me, or does the Hylotl racial armor bonus not seem to scale very much with the tiers?

I just wanna be able to stay underwater nigh indefinitely, but that may be asking too much.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Absurd Revolver posted:

Is it just me, or does the Hylotl racial armor bonus not seem to scale very much with the tiers?

I just wanna be able to stay underwater nigh indefinitely, but that may be asking too much.
I thought they didn't have racial bonuses yet.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know if they already added this in and I just didn't notice but the Steam overlay works now in the game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My willpower is weak and I got the game.

Pro: This is the best GUI for a brickminer ever. Seriously.
Do you know how many times in minecraft and terraria I've have to stop and fritter with the hotbar for trivial things, even with terraria's shift-click business.
Here, when you get into combat press x and switch to your weapons, afterwards switch out. So EASY. And why the hell has no brickbuilder game had a USE button before for in-world interaction.
Combat is very playable and nice, I like it.
Building is great. This is the best building of any brickbuilder.

Seriously if you compare this to either minecraft or terraria's first release it's unbelievably more polished.

The pixel system works really well, too. Makes combat both risky and necessary without making the game totally about combat.

Con: I had to search the steam forum for the controls. Please include the controls. They're nice controls.
How do I access things like my hunger meter. I want to know my hunger when I want to.
Biggest Problem: The progress feels so. drat. Slow. Feels like it's taking forever to get the materials to get stuff. All I have is a silver pickaxe and copper boots to show for my time so far. And despite the pickaxe taking 3x3 chucks out of the earth my tier still feels so slow to mine with. At least I have the distress beacon materials but I suspect it summons a boss and I'm not ready for that.
suggestion: Maybe when you use the examine tool, if the thing you look at doesn't have a race-specific caption the word balloon should just not have a tail, making it a narration box. It just feels a little unrefined for my floran from one moment to be going smassssssh the basssket!!!! to rough, unrefined stone.

Does furniture don anything really?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The new climbable rope is awesome, it's basically a grappling hook.

Rope hot tip: if you switch to another item in your toolbar instead of jumping, you won't use up the rope.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Rita Repulsa posted:

Con: I had to search the steam forum for the controls. Please include the controls. They're nice controls.

Minor thing, but if you click the journal to the right, there should be a starting entry for each race entitled "Control Yourself", which if you page through it lists all the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found a 2H Hammer that shoots a shotgun blast of acidic bones :stare:

• Locked thread