Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

That doesn't really answer or even address my question but thanks.

It's a beta dude it's been stated that it's not optimized. Yes people are having performance issues. No you are not alone. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Goonicus posted:

It's a beta dude it's been stated that it's not optimized. Yes people are having performance issues. No you are not alone. You're welcome.

Thanks! No reason for everyone to be so defensive about it being a beta, I was just wondering if people were having the same issues.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I wasn't being defensive at all, I promise. I was just saying hey it's a beta it's a pretty sure bet that is the source of your issues. Maybe I should have written it out that way.

Anyway, I bet your issues resolve themselves in future updates/beta cycles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People are being real assholes for no good reason. It's perfectly fine to discuss the issues a beta has and possibly find workarounds or ways to improve the experience. Maybe there's some way to get better framerates? Maybe no one else was having bad framerates and he'd figure out it was something on his end? Don't be a dick to people asking honest questions. Anyways, for me, the game doesn't slow down unless there's a lot of stuff going on. I'm on a Phenom II X4 with 8gb of RAM. Sometimes I got sporadic slowdown but it runs smooth 99% of the time. The 1% is when I triggered a massive sand cascade or something along those lines.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I was digging way down while searching for iron and in the chthonic depths of the planet if found...

This little fella:

Look how happy he is. Needless to say, he's also aggressive as gently caress.

e: Woooah, I just noticed that fish will eat plant fiber that lands in the water.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goonicus posted:

Anyway, I bet your issues resolve themselves in future updates/beta cycles.

There's a beta phase dedicated to optimisation, so it'll almost certainly be addressed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People are being real assholes for no good reason. It's perfectly fine to discuss the issues a beta has and possibly find workarounds or ways to improve the experience. Maybe there's some way to get better framerates? Maybe no one else was having bad framerates and he'd figure out it was something on his end? Don't be a dick to people asking honest questions. Anyways, for me, the game doesn't slow down unless there's a lot of stuff going on. I'm on a Phenom II X4 with 8gb of RAM. Sometimes I got sporadic slowdown but it runs smooth 99% of the time. The 1% is when I triggered a massive sand cascade or something along those lines.

Pretty much, I'm finding the game virtually unplayable and since I didn't see any discussion of performance issues in the several pages I read I thought it might just be me. I've been in betas where changing some seemingly random setting would improve performance by 500%, but after checking here and the official forums it sounds like its more of a "check back in a few weeks and maybe it will be running better" issue.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

A shrubbery! posted:

It does. It runs slowly sometimes, the framerate chugs sometimes and it crashes for everyone at some point because it's not optimised or stable yet.

there's probably more to the frame rate issues bc its at a solid 60fps for me

it probably depends a lot on the gfx driver version and what gfx card you use, and its probably not just a matter how powerful it is, it basically depends on whether the driver can manage to handle the way starbound goes about things efficiently

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zlodo posted:

there's probably more to the frame rate issues bc its at a solid 60fps for me

it probably depends a lot on the gfx driver version and what gfx card you use, and its probably not just a matter how powerful it is, it basically depends on whether the driver can manage to handle the way starbound goes about things efficiently

Keep in mind that the game also doesn't exit properly. I've had to end the process manually. After I got four instances of it my computer began to chug horribly.

So make sure that's not an issue too. That being said, we triggered a massive underground landslide on our homeworld on my server. The results were crazy. Caused some odd physics issues, mobs were much easier to kill, and people could be aggressively chased by items they had picked up but hadn't reached their character yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Archonex posted:

So make sure that's not an issue too. That being said, we triggered a massive underground landslide on our homeworld on my server. The results were crazy. Caused some odd physics issues, mobs were much easier to kill, and people could be aggressively chased by items they had picked up but hadn't reached their character yet.

That's one advantage, when the game is really chugging monsters just sort of trudge over to you to be killed. Also you can breathe underwater.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
It was running perfectly for me on release, but this patch has made it chug quite severely. Ah well!

EDIT: The debug log is a heck of a lot bigger now. Quite a few more warning messages, too!

H2Eau fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's a very good thing Wheat and Feathercrowns can grow on your ship. Several in game days have passed on my starter world and Wheat, Feathercrowns, nor the Pepper looking plants I first found ON that planet have grown at all.

The plants are in tilled soil in direct sunlight, and it's not like it's a BAD planet weather wise either. What little cold that happens in the night is very slow, and never quite reached the point of freezing to death before the sun came up.

So yeah, thank you to the wonderful person who ever first mentioned "You can plant things in your ship". Though the fact animals actually drop meat regularly now with the bow helps, because 3 hunger bars per campfire cooked alien steak wasn't cutting it with my old luck. Bread fills 6, and Feathercrowns (My avian racial plant item) are two a pop but now I got like 40 of the things.

Also, is it worth filling out a bug report that when you respawn while wearing face obscuring items, facial features are missing? My Avian's beat and fluff were nowhere to be seen when I respawned after dying with the Snow Infantry Helmet.

Speaking of snow, before doing that whole sleep thing I finally swung over to the second, larger world right next to my Starter now that I'm all dressed for the cold weather.

:3: After all that time seeing nothing but grass, trees, and some giant mushrooms a ways off, it was a pleasant surprise to see flowers on the Ice World.

Also holy gently caress I have found more iron and about as much coal within the first few screenlengths buried in slush and snow than in all my digging on Starter Forest. Though the Anvil was a letdown because what Iron Weapons I could potentially make at the moment, list as good/worse stats than my starter sword.

ALSO! whoever said you can't craft shields. Anvil shows a copper Basic shield (20 Pixels, 10 wood planks, 10 Iron bars). Not like I can make one yet (Hopefully soon there will be copper weapons), but hey, progress! Just the 2 iron bar, 1 handed but no range "Pecker" knife obliterates the Threat 1 wildlife (though, all the fire breathing and needle spitting and etc make it more of a kamikaze rush). So far it's just one mouth farting charger type on iceball.

I really should loving sleep.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 6, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Turns out that tapping Left-ALT will display your hunger (and player names, if not any other fun information) for all of you wishing there were some way to check that on a whim.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The game is amazingly, incredibly good and easily lived up to all of my personal hype for it so far. There's really only three issues that are chafing my enjoyment.

1. Armor is way too binary. As you go up tiers, any granularity in survivability goes out the window. Either enemies will one shot you(you have bad armor) or enemies will two shot you(you have the best possible armor for your tier). There's no survivability beyond being able to live through one hit with the best of the best suit. This is especially true with the bosses, who will two hit kill you without fail if you're in best of the best for their tier which basically necessitates cheesing them with block placement fuckery. There needs to be actual noticeable increases in survivability so every fight isn't a joust. The incredible lethality of enemies and the rather punishing death penalty(sent back to fixed spawn point, lose substantial amounts of pixels when later game things are expensive as gently caress to make) basically ensures that my friends and I almost inevitably resort to cheesing enemies by entombing them or ourselves in blocks.

2. Armor penetration is too important of a weapon stat. Armor Pen is pretty much the only stat that matters on weapons right now. I had two weapons - a 30 armor pen weapon and a 32 armor pen weapon with roughly the same damage - and used them against threat level 30 enemies. The 30 armor pen weapon hit for 28. The 32 armor pen weapon one-shot(so roughly a 300% damage improvement for 2 points of penetration). Low armor pen weapons are basically useless, especially with the joust-heavy nature of the game that means you really, really, really have to kill enemies as fast as possible.

3. Platinum does not seem to generate on Gamma Sector worlds despite being necessary for armor/advancement.

I'm totally aware that we aren't even approaching the balance pass phases yet, so this is mostly just pointing out issues with the game as it stands right this instant.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kanos posted:

3. Platinum does not seem to generate on Gamma Sector worlds despite being necessary for armor/advancement.

Random chests have it in quantities of, like, 10 ore so you can get it but it's one hell of a grind.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Man, tunneling through Obsidian with a copper pick is tough. Luckily, my Glitch dude's name is Iron Grind.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Are there no upgrades for axes? I can upgrade my pickaxe but not the regular one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Moon Monster posted:

Random chests have it in quantities of, like, 10 ore so you can get it but it's one hell of a grind.

Yeah, but "one hell of a grind" is the understatement of the century when you're trying to kit out four players.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Kanos posted:

Yeah, but "one hell of a grind" is the understatement of the century when you're trying to kit out four players.

You can always just grind one set then dupe it, it's not like these characters are permanent anyway.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I'm running an overclocked i5 with 16gb of RAM and a 4GB GeForce 760 and I still get odd slowdowns now and then. It's not even necessarily when sand is collapsing; sometimes it's just transitioning between layers of the underground. We began digging down on my friend's server and we found an upsidedown burial chamber. Everything was good until we hit it -- it was a single screen wide/tall, but when you exited the bottom of it you just lagged like crazy for a few seconds.

Some of it I imagine is stutter from playing on a friend's computer acting as both host/player, but some of it is just unstable code. Even so I've put 24+ hours into Starbound already and I plan to play it more today and all weekend. I don't even care if my characters get wiped, I just love being interplanetary explorer/conqueror. :allears:

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I found some bird dudes in an airship. Would they totally freak out and start trying to kill me if I stole one of their wall masks? Because I really want one of those masks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I went to a threat level 9 arid world and immediately got killed by some monsters because I'm still in the puddle set. I have a gold pickaxe, though, so I beamed down again and started digging through the sand. Surface exploration is great, but if you guys are hurting for ore, you REALLY need to go to an arid world and just start tunneling until you find fine sand or gravel. Sand-mining is insanely fast and effective, because the crazy sand/gravel physics free up any embedded ore, so you can just take a fast pickaxe and dig wildly in the shifting sea of granules while ores are swept towards you and into your inventory. I came away with like 100 iron, a pile of copper, 40-some coal, a bit of silver, and a few nuggets of gold after maybe half an hour of aimless digging, part of which was spent discovering and gleefully collecting neonmelons.

While I was down there in the weird underground neonmelon flowery biome, I spotted a strange, bright chest through a wall. A rainbow chest! I searched it and found the single greatest item in the entire game: the RAINBOW CAPE

It is dyed all the colours of the rainbow, it billows dramatically behind me when I run, and it constantly sheds bright shimmering sparkles in a rainbow of colours. The instant I put it on, my weird Hylotl in a lab coat and samurai hat transformed into Dr. Sunshine, Fashion Hero. This loving thing is absolutely delightful oh my god. I don't even care that it doesn't do anything, it's my favourite thing I've found.

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah I'm running an overclocked i5 with 16gb of RAM and a 4GB GeForce 760 and I still get odd slowdowns now and then. It's not even necessarily when sand is collapsing; sometimes it's just transitioning between layers of the underground. We began digging down on my friend's server and we found an upsidedown burial chamber. Everything was good until we hit it -- it was a single screen wide/tall, but when you exited the bottom of it you just lagged like crazy for a few seconds.

My computer lags literally any time I am exposed to weather and daycycle effects. The game runs smooth as silk on my ship, on moon planets, or on any planet the exact moment I get deep enough for the background to change to the cavern image and the music to stop. I spend a lot of time wandering the forgotten depths of the worlds I visit. :(

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 6, 2013

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Are there no upgrades for axes? I can upgrade my pickaxe but not the regular one.

I haven't seen any, but axes also don't have a durability so I think it's less of an issue.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bolian Blues posted:

I found some bird dudes in an airship. Would they totally freak out and start trying to kill me if I stole one of their wall masks? Because I really want one of those masks.

Nope, steal away. They probably wouldn't even care if you started deconstructing the floors.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ruder posted:

Nope, steal away. They probably wouldn't even care if you started deconstructing the floors.

On my starting planet, I managed to plunder an Avian temple full of pissed-off, laser rifle-wielding guards by dodging the first guard's lasers and slowly assassinating him with my lovely bow, stealing their prayer altar when the other guard stepped away, climbing the outside of the building, opening the door of the technotemple thing at the top so that blood-vomiting demon bats murdered most of the people inside, and deconstructing the floor under the last guard when she walked out onto a balcony area so that she plummeted out of sight. It was like I was Solid Snake channeling Snidely Whiplash; I couldn't help but chortle diabolically the whole time. It was made even better by the fact that my wife was leaning over my shoulder, urging me to "steal those things! Murder that guy! That thing looks sacred, you should steal it and put it in your spaceship."

The lesson I have learned is Always Steal Everything. If you follow this advice, you will do well in this game.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
What do I need to be able to survive the UFO? Will iron armor do or do I need to wait for silver? What kind of weapon works best?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
For those of you wishing you could store your pixels, there's a mod for that now:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/storable-pixels.38264/

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

x -94138027 y -55811322

Alpha Sethusk 4668 II b (for dash tech)

Found it, thanks!

Angry Diplomat posted:

the RAINBOW CAPE

And you posted no screenshots? drat son.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I've been exploring literally the first cave on the first planet that I saw for the past two hours. I still have not mapped out the entire cavern, and have a ton of copper, iron, silver and gold. The fastest way out is to die because everything is so extensive and deep. When I think I find a dead end, lo and behold, a flashlight proves me wrong and I find an even deeper cave system. Two hours, and I still haven't found the bottom, or an end to chests and ore. I've been sitting in my space ship smelting ore for the past 15 minutes, and I still have ore to smelt.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I've been exploring literally the first cave on the first planet that I saw for the past two hours. I still have not mapped out the entire cavern, and have a ton of copper, iron, silver and gold. The fastest way out is to die because everything is so extensive and deep. When I think I find a dead end, lo and behold, a flashlight proves me wrong and I find an even deeper cave system. Two hours, and I still haven't found the bottom, or an end to chests and ore. I've been sitting in my space ship smelting ore for the past 15 minutes, and I still have ore to smelt.

drat, lucky bastard. I love spelunking but I haven't found any really sizeable caves yet.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Revol posted:

What do I need to be able to survive the UFO? Will iron armor do or do I need to wait for silver? What kind of weapon works best?

Get a shield and dupe 45 throwing knives, if you can. They'll eviscerate any of his minions and about 30 will kill him. A pretty good shield will block almost anything. He's much too strong to beat legitimately without a hundred hours of work and/or pirate guns.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Musluk posted:

And you posted no screenshots? drat son.

I knew somebody would post this :v: I'm at work right now, which is why I didn't post a screenshot. I was just too excited to wait until I got home to talk about that awesome goddamn thing. When I get home tonight, I'll grab some screenshots and post 'em up. I might even still be on the planet I found it on; if so, I'll post up the coordinates for people who want to see if they can track down the chest (or just collect lots of nanomelons, a pile of ore, and a loving dickload of sand and gravel).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Whoa, +500 posts since I went to bed :v:

Welp, still haven't left my first planet, because I went exploring!

Found a spawner for a doc, and now I have my personal medic vendor. Also, he has a huge loving gun!

Stumbled upon a miniboss, and immediately cheesed him. What? I didn't even had any armor. He dropped a nice spear that sets things on fire.

My world has shroom areas. Also found a couple of shroom chests with blueprints for furniture and a hat.

And then I discovered the best villain hideout ever. That robo spider looked dangerous, so I walked on for now.

Also found some robo houses. Can't wait to harvest all those shiny blocks.

Space life is simple but good!

Man, I discovered a lot of stuff just by making a trip across the whole surface of my starter planet. I haven't even spelunked underground that much. Seeing how this game has a ton of different planets full of things, all I can say is :woop:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I like boxes...

This game it needs more boxes for me to collect.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
This game could really use an ingame map, make it craftable or something but it would be a really nice thing to have. I wouldn't mind some kind of monster log that records the different monsters you've seen and their stats either.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Zeron posted:

This game could really use an ingame map, make it craftable or something but it would be a really nice thing to have. I wouldn't mind some kind of monster log that records the different monsters you've seen and their stats either.

Not gonna lie I really hope a ship upgrade we can get later is a planet scanner to give us a rough map of the surface. Sometimes I just want to find chill dudes to trade with without walking for 10 minutes to find out the planet has nothing of interest.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone was asking about a site with ABC files. Here's the one everyone used for Lord of the Rings Online, or at least the placeholder someone put up for it when it got shut down due to neglect: http://www.thefatlute.eu/

PS. Is a wipe happening for sure, or is it just a possibility with the patching?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeesh! I just beat the UFO with an iron bow. Thank God for the new warm weather armor, it is strong.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Someone was asking about a site with ABC files. Here's the one everyone used for Lord of the Rings Online, or at least the placeholder someone put up for it when it got shut down due to neglect: http://www.thefatlute.eu/

PS. Is a wipe happening for sure, or is it just a possibility with the patching?

It's mostly a warning for if/when a patch ends up changing so much that old saves won't work with it. It wouldn't be surprising to see at least one of them during the beta, but I doubt they would just start wiping characters for any reason other than that. It also helps cover their asses from the vocal people on their forums who can actually read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Revol posted:

Yeesh! I just beat the UFO with an iron bow. Thank God for the new warm weather armor, it is strong.

Do you have any tips? I'm going to have a second go at the UFO tonight after my last attempt ended with the boss buggering off to go bother some wildlife (according to the patch notes at least!)

• Locked thread