Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

spongeh posted:

that dashed line is the keyboard focus indicator, not some sort of stitching effect on the button, right?

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the core problem is that change is intrinsically bad. removing any feature, ever, even if it doesn't fit your ux ~*~ vision ~*~ or is a pain in the rear end to re-implement on your spanking new rewrite, is bad.

every change has to justify itself in use cases for existing users.

i put up with pulseaudio's crashiness and poor audio quality because it delivers on cool new use cases that make my life, individually, better.

systemd is a big set of changes that don't help with any of my use cases. it's a whole bunch of changes i have to cope with, training documents i have to write, scripts i gotta modify, and it doesn't make my life better in any way whatsoever

it doesn't matter if it's cool and it helps some laptop user in south america. that's not me, or anyone i know. i'm going to complain bitterly that it has changed 30 year old designs, and my complaints are legitimate.

this argument would have any merit if systemd actually broke things. systemd has a large backwards compatibility layer for sysvinit. your existing scripts that use 'service httpd start' should keep working. your sysvinit scripts to start your custom daemon? yeah, those still work, barring some obscure extensions that i can count on one hand the number of times we've seen it in the wild.

you can still run rsyslogd, if you want to, and we fully support that so you can have /var/log/messages work too.

so, just like i asked "how did pulseaudio crash" (which you still haven't answered, and i'm still curious about), i'm going to ask "how did systemd break backcompat for you". because we can solve your problem by adding a backcompat layer, like we've done for lots of other things so far.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

this argument would have any merit if systemd actually broke things. systemd has a large backwards compatibility layer for sysvinit. your existing scripts that use 'service httpd start' should keep working. your sysvinit scripts to start your custom daemon? yeah, those still work, barring some obscure extensions that i can count on one hand the number of times we've seen it in the wild.

you can still run rsyslogd, if you want to, and we fully support that so you can have /var/log/messages work too.

so, just like i asked "how did pulseaudio crash" (which you still haven't answered, and i'm still curious about), i'm going to ask "how did systemd break backcompat for you". because we can solve your problem by adding a backcompat layer, like we've done for lots of other things so far.

/etc/init.d/iptables is broken

1 star would not configure services again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the "backwards compatibility layer" would need to be... sysvinit

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
how is it broken? sysvinit scripts should work fine, and the compat layer has been there ever since release.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

so, just like i asked "how did pulseaudio crash" (which you still haven't answered, and i'm still curious about)

i honestly do not know what crashed pulseaudio and i have core dumps turned off on my home desktop

you have gotten about 50% of the way to convincing me to turn them back on tho since it can't be that complicated, and pulseaudio actually does make my life better enough for me to care whether it works

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

how is it broken? sysvinit scripts should work fine, and the compat layer has been there ever since release.

i mean you removed the existing sysvinit scripts for system services.

they're gone.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh, you mean that you can't type /etc/init.d/iptables start anymore?

that was never a standard. other distros use /etc/rc.d/iptables start. solaris has smf and its own fancy way to start iptables.

the cross-platform way was always 'service iptables start', and that still works today.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

the cutest turtle

tef posted:

kids do really neat things http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/14292779/ the code is :O

the source does look like how kids build with legos :3:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i would be happier with your argument if we broke a standard that was documented. /etc/init.d/ was never a standard, it was always a distro-specific configuration directory.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

this argument would have any merit if systemd actually broke things. systemd has a large backwards compatibility layer for sysvinit. your existing scripts that use 'service httpd start' should keep working.

maybe now, but pretty sure i remember when network manager didn't work which was such awful piss that my benefit of the doubt was used up for it for all time

especially because of the response, which was 'it is not our fault, they were doing it wrong' which as a user makes me insane with bloodlust

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

networkmanager is such awful poo poo i hate it

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
is wpa-supplicant still piss garbage btw? i remember it being trash but i havent touched it in forever

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
brain candy, if anybody closes an upstream networkmanager/gnome bug with "sorry, it's a kernel bug", please pm me about it, or email me ( jasper@redhat.com ). our internal policy is never to do that except in extreme cases, and to always forward bugs ourselves to places with known bug-trackers.

networkmanager has gotten a lot better in the past two years. it used to leak a lot of memory and just do everything horribly and we mostly kicked it into shape. it's still not great (the api is one of the worst i've ever used, but it turns out networking is dumber than anybody ever thought), but we're constantly working on it.

because enterprise networking and consumer networking are so completely different, our current plan is to split the low-level parts into a new network daemon, and have connman/nm simply use that internally and provide a consumer networking api over it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Otto Skorzeny posted:

is wpa-supplicant still piss garbage btw? i remember it being trash but i havent touched it in forever

yes. it's mostly obsolete now, as a lot of it is in the kernel now.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

brain candy, if anybody closes an upstream networkmanager/gnome bug with "sorry, it's a kernel bug", please pm me about it, or email me ( jasper@redhat.com ). our internal policy is never to do that except in extreme cases, and to always forward bugs ourselves to places with known bug-trackers.

networkmanager has gotten a lot better in the past two years. it used to leak a lot of memory and just do everything horribly and we mostly kicked it into shape. it's still not great (the api is one of the worst i've ever used, but it turns out networking is dumber than anybody ever thought), but we're constantly working on it.

because enterprise networking and consumer networking are so completely different, our current plan is to split the low-level parts into a new network daemon, and have connman/nm simply use that internally and provide a consumer networking api over it.

:unsmith:

i'm really really glad that you peeps are doing this. it's been p. obvious that wireless was the assumed environment for network stuff

of course, practically the first thing i did when i used gnome3 was toggle my network connection

qwerasdf
Oct 1, 2006
(Eat shit)
so how about them programming languages

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

horrible crap that is terrible, we've established this

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

qwerasdf posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Otto Skorzeny posted:

wpa_supplicant is the only working wpa/802.1x supplicant for linux

networkmanager is a very confusing set of conventions and daemons that, after six? eight? years of loving around mostly works on most linux distributions. i don't like it but i don't hate it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

qwerasdf posted:

im getting confused between column major and row major matrices in a variety of languages i hope this helps

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

you have a cat name

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
my sister's dog is named jasper

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

jasper redd is a pretty good comedian

you have a black comedians name

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
was there a character in one of the rats of nimh books named jasper? :effort:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i know a gay chinese fashion nerd named jasper

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

gay chinese fashion nerd, black comedian, fictional rat, or IRL cat

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

just trying to sum up what we've discussed thus far

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's a paddlin' lol funny

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you forgot "gnome developer"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

you have a cat name

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

how'd you sneak a picture of the node devops guy

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

This is adorable http://tratt.net/laurie/blog/entries/how_can_c_programs_be_so_reliable

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"boy you sure have to be careful when writing c programs"

this is news?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

prefect posted:

"boy you sure have to be careful when writing c programs"

this is news?

It is news to many people that you have to be careful when writing not-C programs.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

goddamint, i'm reading this http://tratt.net/laurie/blog/entries/another_non_argument_in_type_systems static vs dynamic typing, hey they're totally two sides of the same coin guys...

and it's like it's written using non-Euclidean words, all of them a little bit off

oh and yes, static and dynamic typing are two sides of the same coin, it's just that dynamic typing is always the B-side

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
psoc creator has locked up on me every time i've tried to ctrl+f something today. if whoever wrote this piece of poo poo is johnny ringo i want to be doc holliday.

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Zombywuf posted:

It is news to many people that you have to be careful when writing not-C programs.

not-c programs should be outlawed as hate speech.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
c and java is a good combo imo unless you're writing vidya games or smt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Max Facetime posted:

goddamint, i'm reading this http://tratt.net/laurie/blog/entries/another_non_argument_in_type_systems static vs dynamic typing, hey they're totally two sides of the same coin guys...

quote:

My firm belief is that statically and dynamically typed languages overlap in some ways, but differ in others

/gasp