Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

It's mostly a warning for if/when a patch ends up changing so much that old saves won't work with it. It wouldn't be surprising to see at least one of them during the beta, but I doubt they would just start wiping characters for any reason other than that. It also helps cover their asses from the vocal people on their forums who can actually read.

Okay, cool. I can live with that. Just some people have been talking as if there was an impending wipe looming over us all, and I doubt I could enjoy playing with that certainty hanging over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So the game has definitely met my expectations and was $15 well spent, but I think the best plan now is to put it down until the new year. You can really feel the content gaps in places and I don't want to lessen the experience too much.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know where I can find an ABC file for Dvorak's 9th Symphony? This is very important, and none of the abc sites listed have it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I hate work, I want to go home and explore more with my adorable bird lady.

Despite all the perils this game can actually be quite relaxing at times.

:allears:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Chalks posted:

Do you have any tips? I'm going to have a second go at the UFO tonight after my last attempt ended with the boss buggering off to go bother some wildlife (according to the patch notes at least!)

See if you can find bombs, they do hundreds of damage to that boss and are a common early lootable.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
So I seem to have found some sort of tech blueprints for something, maybe a double jump I can't tell, how do I use them? I tried dragging it into the Tech slots in my inventory and nothing, I tried dragging it into the Tech device on my ship and it wouldn't take. Do I have to scan it with the 3d scanner?

Also, how do you make climbing rope?

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
The patch seems to have fixed tech progression, so now you can go aegisalt -> ferozium -> cerulium -> violium -> rubium -> impervium

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Clever Spambot posted:

See if you can find bombs, they do hundreds of damage to that boss and are a common early lootable.

I found a spawner and now a tool merchant lives in my ship. He sells flares, ropes, and bombs.

I have a feeling that ready access to unlimited bombs (given enough pixels) is going to change the dynamic of the game a little. For the better, of course. There is absolutely no way that Dr. Sunshine sweeping in amidst a cloud of rainbow sparkles to hurl old-timey bombs everywhere like some kind of anime magical girl Waluigi could possibly be anything other than the best thing ever.

robziel posted:

So I seem to have found some sort of tech blueprints for something, maybe a double jump I can't tell, how do I use them? I tried dragging it into the Tech slots in my inventory and nothing, I tried dragging it into the Tech device on my ship and it wouldn't take. Do I have to scan it with the 3d scanner?

Put the tech blueprint on your hotbar and use it like a tool. You'll "learn" it and can then equip the tech from the console in your ship.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Spudd posted:

I like boxes...

This game it needs more boxes for me to collect.

You are not alone. I find that in almost any game where it's possible to pick things up and put them down in other places, one of the most fun things to do it to pick up as many as possible of a certain kind of thing, and put them all in one place.

In Skyrim, it was cabbages.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I asked this earlier but it seems to have gotten lost to the early rush, but do trees respawn? I've nearly clearcut my starting planet and I'm worried about fuel!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started, and I seem to be too stupid to feed myself. I made a campfire, and have two pieces of raw alien meat. The crafting menu has no option to cook it though. I even clicked on the food icon, and nothing is there.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just started, and I seem to be too stupid to feed myself. I made a campfire, and have two pieces of raw alien meat. The crafting menu has no option to cook it though. I even clicked on the food icon, and nothing is there.

Mouse over the campfire and press 'e'.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Rhjamiz posted:

I asked this earlier but it seems to have gotten lost to the early rush, but do trees respawn? I've nearly clearcut my starting planet and I'm worried about fuel!

Coal also works as fuel. You could always spend whatever wood/coal you have and go to another planet to pick up some more and bring it home!

VVV Preferably not (the bitching, not the skipping stone.) If you don't like it, there will probably be a mod eventually that spawns enough stuff in a new world to get to the highest tier right away.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 6, 2013

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Are we still bitching about 'caveman poo poo? Personally I think skip stone completely would be great.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

Oh that's cool, I have a few of these. How do they work? Do they detonate on contact with the boss and can they be aimed?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, I just found a "Gravity Bubble" tech which acts as an infinite jetpack(It doesn't seem to have an energy cost yet, or if it does, it's so low it's not noticeable).

If anyone wants it, these are the coordinates and planet cluster I found them in(Beta sector):

It's in a high tech chest on the surface of either the TL11 or the TL13 Arid planet.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Chalks posted:

Do you have any tips? I'm going to have a second go at the UFO tonight after my last attempt ended with the boss buggering off to go bother some wildlife (according to the patch notes at least!)

I used four things:

* Iron Bow

* Full set of the new winter clothes armor

* A lot of bandages (I used about 30 I think?)

* A lot of patience

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Shukaro posted:

Here's a mod that makes the manipulator faster and one-handed, just extract into your Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets folder. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc4g3np39n14uuj/beam.zip

Can't have upgradeable ones right now, but there's a crazy amount of options.

I tossed this into my Starbound folder and now the game throws an error about a duplicate beamaxe.beamaxe file and won't load. :downs:

Oh well, I'll see if I can figure out when I get home tonight, hopefully I can get it working, I won't be able to grab the update until Monday and a speeded up MM will be a godsend for new characters.

I didn't want to get in the middle of the 'caveman tier' slapfight last night, but my two cents are that, in addition to pickaxes and such, I hope at some point the MM is upgradeable, like by crafting/stealing power crystals or energy cells or whatever. I just really like the idea of having one convenient tool that does everything, it feels more scifi-ish.

It's like, yes, I can carry around a communications device and a clock and a camera and a TV and a MP3 player and a weather-checking device and a browsing-the-internet device and a game console and a calendar and a calculator and then switch between them constantly depending on what I needed to do, but at the end of the day I think it's a lot more sensible and convenient just to use a cell-phone.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Guys seriously just throw some bombs at it. They do 500 damage a piece to the UFO.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Anyone having server issues since the patch? I just finished patching and now the server crashes when I try to start it up.

code:
Error: Access violation detected at 0x7712e3be (Read of address 0x74444)
Error: Stack Trace...
  006B26C0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
  7712E3BE
  7712E023
  74BA98CD
  ... (4)
  006FB7D1 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarBTree.hpp:411)
  006FFABA (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariantDatabase.cpp:17)
  ... (5)
  00401413 (e:\p\giaw\src\pkg\mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src\bld/../mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src/src/libcrt/crt/crt1.c:254)
  77139F72
  77139F45
I don't even have Starbound installed at C:/starbound, what the hell.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Angry Diplomat posted:

Put the tech blueprint on your hotbar and use it like a tool. You'll "learn" it and can then equip the tech from the console in your ship.

Ahhh drat, should have thought of that. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Zoe posted:

I tossed this into my Starbound folder and now the game throws an error about a duplicate beamaxe.beamaxe file and won't load. :downs:

Oh well, I'll see if I can figure out when I get home tonight, hopefully I can get it working, I won't be able to grab the update until Monday and a speeded up MM will be a godsend for new characters.

I didn't want to get in the middle of the 'caveman tier' slapfight last night, but my two cents are that, in addition to pickaxes and such, I hope at some point the MM is upgradeable, like by crafting/stealing power crystals or energy cells or whatever. I just really like the idea of having one convenient tool that does everything, it feels more scifi-ish.

It's like, yes, I can carry around a communications device and a clock and a camera and a TV and a MP3 player and a weather-checking device and a browsing-the-internet device and a game console and a calendar and a calculator and then switch between them constantly depending on what I needed to do, but at the end of the day I think it's a lot more sensible and convenient just to use a cell-phone.

An upgradable MM that scales with the pickaxes would actually be extremely easy to do, even right now. Modding that in would take very little time at all, I could do it myself.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So what do threatlevels roughly correspond with? The gear you get after the basic tutorial (ie: your first anvil) is 'level' 5, but there's no way TL 5 is realistic at that point.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I played a bunch of Starbound this morning after an initial screwing around yesterday. It has me by the nards now and I have hardly left the first planet. Currently getting used to the changes from terraria but I really like it. Definitely a lot of hope for the future. I wish combat was a little different, but for the most part it feels like a cool golden axe clone applied to terraria. Definitely like the variety of weapons and the names are pretty dang funny. I have hope it'll get much better. Glad to see an active dev.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Fishstick posted:

So what do threatlevels roughly correspond with? The gear you get after the basic tutorial (ie: your first anvil) is 'level' 5, but there's no way TL 5 is realistic at that point.

I like to think that armor penetration/total armor is a more accurate comparison to threat level, at least early on it seems. With 4 to 5 armor penetration you'll be chopping off most of the enemy's health.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Smoremaster posted:

Anyone having server issues since the patch? I just finished patching and now the server crashes when I try to start it up.

code:
  7712E3BE
  7712E023
  74BA98CD
  ... (4)
  ... (5)
  00401413 (e:\p\giaw\src\pkg\mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src\bld/../mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src/src/libcrt/crt/crt1.c:254)
  77139F72
  77139F45

C:/starbound is where the source code is checked out on whatever machine compiled the executable that's now crashing. Looks like someone did something dumb with a pointer!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Party Alarm posted:

Guys seriously just throw some bombs at it. They do 500 damage a piece to the UFO.
the last time I tried that it started to land in my face and I got caught in the explosion :( now I am out of bombs, but now I got a shield, Steel weapons (and I think a bow too?) I made from a buddy's upgraded anvil, and I am almost decked out in a full set of silver armor so I might be ready to take it on 'legitimately' soon.

it is also worth noting that your character's armor value (bring up the inventory to look at your stats) and your weapon's Armor piercing value basically correspond to threat levels, so if you are running around with 5 armor then you can safely take a few hits from enemies on 4-5-6 planets without worrying about insta-gibbing :gibs:

oh yeah and shields are loving awesome, now I can let things hit me once then I kill it with my one-handed sword.

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 6, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I played for about an hour: built a house, hunted meat and looked for minerals.

I don't know why but this game seems really good. Terraria never really hooked me but this seems to control better and apparently has more depth.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is there a quest after the beacon or do I need to kill the penguin boss to get the next quest?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any way to make a settlement on an ice planet or moon entirely habitable? Like, so you don't freeze/suffocate when you walk out of a building? As in,a re giant glass domes a thing?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Is there any way to make a settlement on an ice planet or moon entirely habitable? Like, so you don't freeze/suffocate when you walk out of a building? As in,a re giant glass domes a thing?

Not yet, as far as I know. There was mention of terraforming being an option in higher tiers, but I don't think we have that yet. Right now you basically just have to set the planet on fire by putting campfires every ten feet.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Have they fixed quick item move deleting poo poo if containers are full yet today??

I found an overrun penal colony on a desert planet and killed prisoners for lots of stims and cash money :cool: Interestingly the planet difficulty was 4 but the dungeon was more like 10.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Smoremaster posted:

code:
  7712E3BE
  7712E023
  74BA98CD
  ... (4)
  ... (5)
  77139F72
  77139F45

Sorry to quote myself, but I found a fix for this on the Starbound forums that seems to work, so I thought I'd put it here in case anyone else is having the same issue. Go to starbound\assets\server.config and find this line:
code:
"upnpPortForwarding" : true,
Change true to false, and it doesn't crash. I am able to connect to the server, but it's also running on the same computer as my client, so I'm not sure if people will still be able to connect. If that line is not listed in the config (it wasn't for me), you can add that line and it seems to fix it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not yet, as far as I know. There was mention of terraforming being an option in higher tiers, but I don't think we have that yet. Right now you basically just have to set the planet on fire by putting campfires every ten feet.

Darn. I wanted to make a globe-spanning moon city or something, but that just sounds like it'll be a hassle with all the fires.

E: Do the lines on the starmap actually mean anything? I'm seeing both solid lines and dotted lines.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 6, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Have they fixed quick item move deleting poo poo if containers are full yet today??

I found an overrun penal colony on a desert planet and killed prisoners for lots of stims and cash money :cool: Interestingly the planet difficulty was 4 but the dungeon was more like 10.

Quick Move doesn't delete your stuff, it just goes to invisible slots you can't see. Pick up the box/crate/whatever with the pick and it'll vomit out those "missing" items.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Verranicus posted:

Darn. I wanted to make a globe-spanning moon city or something, but that just sounds like it'll be a hassle with all the fires.

I'm sure heat dynamics will eventually get to this point in the game, or at least be modded in. Furnaces don't give off a wide area of heat, do they? I haven't heard anyone mention them, but if wide enough they could be used to heat interiors of buildings.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I found this

here

(open in new tab for full size)

Fairly close to the left. I was told not to enter. Kinda scared to try it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Revol posted:

I found this
Kill dem robits.

hubris.height posted:

I'm sure heat dynamics will eventually get to this point in the game, or at least be modded in. Furnaces don't give off a wide area of heat, do they? I haven't heard anyone mention them, but if wide enough they could be used to heat interiors of buildings.

Not overly wide. They'd do if he wanted to do certain kind of cities but there aren't any real ultamodern/spaceage looking furnaces.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

1) How do I delete a character?

2) How do I place a 1-tile-wide wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I dunno about #1, but to place 1-tile walls you just hold shift while placing. That is also how you mine one tile at a time.

• Locked thread