Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Revol posted:

I found this

here

(open in new tab for full size)

Fairly close to the left. I was told not to enter. Kinda scared to try it.

It's the Glitch dungeon, who are all melee and all have the best stuff.

Get in there.

Has anyone found a Human Mech tech yet? I want it. I want to have a magical girl transformation into a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

LordSaturn posted:

1) How do I delete a character?

There's a 'character' or 'player' folder or something in your install directory, make backups then delete them until you've gotten rid of the right one. Although, as far as I can tell you can make a lot of characters, the list scrolls down some way.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

LordSaturn posted:

2) How do I place a 1-tile-wide wall?

Deleting a character is tricky if you have more than one. In Steam, right-click your game and click properties and go to the "local files" tab, click "browse local files" and go to the "player" folder. If you only have a single character there will be 3 files in this folder, a metadata file, player file, and shipworld file. Delete them all and you can start anew.

If you have more than one character then backup all those files and delete the 3 files for each time you see it until desired effect is achieved.

efb

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Just editing pickaxes to mine 4 blocks makes mining much more tolerable, drat.

LordSaturn posted:

\steam\steamapps\common\starbound\player\*.*

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Denzine posted:

Quick Move doesn't delete your stuff, it just goes to invisible slots you can't see. Pick up the box/crate/whatever with the pick and it'll vomit out those "missing" items.

A-HA

Okay I will see if this stuff works since I believe the server I was playing on was shut down over night.
They did fix the bug though :c00l:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Angry Diplomat posted:

On my starting planet, I managed to plunder an Avian temple full of pissed-off, laser rifle-wielding guards by dodging the first guard's lasers and slowly assassinating him with my lovely bow, stealing their prayer altar when the other guard stepped away, climbing the outside of the building, opening the door of the technotemple thing at the top so that blood-vomiting demon bats murdered most of the people inside, and deconstructing the floor under the last guard when she walked out onto a balcony area so that she plummeted out of sight. It was like I was Solid Snake channeling Snidely Whiplash; I couldn't help but chortle diabolically the whole time. It was made even better by the fact that my wife was leaning over my shoulder, urging me to "steal those things! Murder that guy! That thing looks sacred, you should steal it and put it in your spaceship."

The lesson I have learned is Always Steal Everything. If you follow this advice, you will do well in this game.

Fun fact. That sacrificial altar can be slept on. It actually seems to heal you really fast, too.

How do you see who is online on a server? Been trying to figure that out for a day now with no luck.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

I might have found an Apex village...this interrogation table looks awesome and heals a lot faster than a bed. Couldn't find a spot to fit the banana statue though. When do I get a bigger ship?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
The Official SA Starbound IRC is #sa-starbound @ synirc.net

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Archonex posted:

Fun fact. That sacrificial altar can be slept on. It actually seems to heal you really fast, too.

Sadly not. It is a prayer altar that kind of resembles a chair. I can neither sleep nor sit on it, much to my disappointment.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Narciss posted:

The Official SA Starbound IRC is #sa-starbound @ synirc.net

Nope

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What block-type would most fit the description of a space-age structure?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So for some reason I can't cook meat. Am I doing something wrong?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I'm curious about the lack of functionality to sell anything to vendors. Is it to preserve game balance, or just not in yet? What's the most efficient way I can get rid of stuff like old weapons I don't use anymore, just stick them in the trash? Is there any way to at least break down items you don't need anymore?

Dirty Job posted:

Press E when next to a campfire or cooking stove. Always press E if you 're not sure of what something does or how to use it, at the very least the game will give you a dialog box or tooltip indicating what the object is. As a side note, I should have done this when I came upon a spinning vertical metal capsule that looked like one of the capsules that you can break for pixels, except larger. I walked up to it, pressed E, and it promptly emitted poison gas, killing me instantly.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 6, 2013

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

I guess it depends what you're doing. Press E on a fire, put meat in, click cook.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I found a sniper bunker made out of Hi-Tech blocks that are suitably hi-tech looking.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Dirty Job posted:

You have to interact with the fire pit with 'e' while hovering your mouse over it. This is how most things that will allow you to interact with them (like the furnace) work.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Junk Tech is the weird grimy machinery background in some futuristic dungeons; it looks good for a grody industrial area, if used sparingly. Steel blocks and pressurized steel can also be found in futuristic bases and dungeons, and they look pretty sweet. Wall panels show up sometimes, too, and they have a great "modular construction" look to them.

However you should disregard all of that and build your house out of Tesla Spikes. Your entire house

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Do my items from the first game carry over to the sequel?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Afraid not. I'm not really sure why, most the items/blocks are the same.

edit: Minor quibble I had - are the gender choices binary? I know "its just a videogame", but it'd be nice if you could select a gender point on a sliding scale or, more accurately, a point on a 4-dimensional cube.

Narciss fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 6, 2013

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

What sequel?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

How do I use tech? I "lock in":ed it at the tech station, the icon my inventory just says "unlocks the rocket boost tech" and pressing F does nothing. I can't seem to unequip it.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

Mental Midget posted:

What sequel?

Terraria -> Terraria 2: Starbound. Maybe you are in the wrong thread?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Starting my server up for the day if anyone wants to hop on.

No password.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Narciss posted:

Afraid not. I'm not really sure why, most the items/blocks are the same.

edit: Minor quibble I had - are the gender choices binary? I know "its just a videogame", but it'd be nice if you could select a gender point on a sliding scale or, more accurately, a point on a 4-dimensional cube.

Yes, but if it makes you feel better most shirts give human males a magnificent rack.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Is singing in yet? I'd like to try out some ABC files but I haven't found an instrument.

A shrubbery! posted:

You are not alone. I find that in almost any game where it's possible to pick things up and put them down in other places, one of the most fun things to do it to pick up as many as possible of a certain kind of thing, and put them all in one place.

In Skyrim, it was cabbages.

Hells yes. If you don't make a massive treasure/junk pile you aren't playing right.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

KirbyKhan posted:

Yes, but if it makes you feel better most shirts give human males a magnificent rack.

Ah well. Star Bound(to arbitrary gender restrictions), IMO. :D

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Terraria -> Terraria 2: Starbound. Maybe you are in the wrong thread?

I wouldn't get too condescending when you have the wrong idea entirely. This and Terraria are made by different developers with no formal connection what-so-ever.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

Oh. My apologies.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Oh. My apologies.

No worries, I could see the connection if you haven't been following the game much before this.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Mazz posted:

I wouldn't get too condescending when you have the wrong idea entirely. This and Terraria are made by different developers with no formal connection what-so-ever.

Especially considering there is an actual Terraria 2 coming:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/03/terraria-2-announced/

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Starbound: everything have tits

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

I'm having trouble making a house with a door, and I don't see anything (yet?) in the game to guide me. I have made a crafting table, but I don't see walls as an available option. When I try to place a wooden block, and put a door on it, it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.
This is the best game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHW3zsZXfk

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Ebenezer posted:

I'm having trouble making a house with a door, and I don't see anything (yet?) in the game to guide me. I have made a crafting table, but I don't see walls as an available option. When I try to place a wooden block, and put a door on it, it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

You have to make a gap that's exactly the right height (4 blocks) for the door to fit in, like in Terraria.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Daktar posted:

Is singing in yet? I'd like to try out some ABC files but I haven't found an instrument.

Not as far as I can tell. Is it a planned addition? I'm not even sure how that'd work.

Where are people getting their ABC files? I found a nylon guitar and I'd love to load up some rockin' tunes so I can jam in my eclectic space van while traveling between planets.

That's amazing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Angry Diplomat posted:

Junk Tech is the weird grimy machinery background in some futuristic dungeons; it looks good for a grody industrial area, if used sparingly. Steel blocks and pressurized steel can also be found in futuristic bases and dungeons, and they look pretty sweet. Wall panels show up sometimes, too, and they have a great "modular construction" look to them.

However you should disregard all of that and build your house out of Tesla Spikes. Your entire house

Are any of these craftable?

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
I had awful fps until I did this: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Just remember to restart steam after you do it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Are any of these craftable?

I haven't obtained any steel yet, but I'd imagine you could make steel blocks yourself, since iron ingots can be used to craft iron blocks. I think the rest are just found in generated structures, though I'd imagine some of them can be scanned into the pixel printer.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not as far as I can tell. Is it a planned addition? I'm not even sure how that'd work.

Where are people getting their ABC files? I found a nylon guitar and I'd love to load up some rockin' tunes so I can jam in my eclectic space van while traveling between planets.

That's amazing.

http://www.lotro-abc.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
So I've got myself in a pickle. I loaded up my fuel cells with wood and transported to another planet. I've reached the planet but can't beam down, I just return to the teleporter pad. I also don't have enough fuel to go somewhere else. HELP!

• Locked thread