Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did they ever release hardcore mode as a separate download for those who had already purchased the game and DLC?

Nope. It is GOTY edition only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
That's lovely. I probably would dropped $2-$5 for hardcore mode.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That's lovely. I probably would dropped $2-$5 for hardcore mode.

Same.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

What is the difference in HC mode?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Peas and Rice posted:

I realized something this weekend: the LeMat revolver in the game is missing one cool feature of the real LeMat, which is that it fires a shotgun shell in addition to its 9 bullets.

So I have exactly one negative thing to say about RDR now.

If shotguns in this are anything to go by, the shotgun barrel on the LeMat would just tickle anything bigger than a rabbit :(

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

quote:

Question: What is Hardcore mode in Red Dead Redemption?

Answer: Hardcore mode increases both the difficulty and realism of the Red Dead Redemption Single Player experience. This mode is exclusive to the Game of the Year edition of Red Dead Redemption for both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Here is a list of notable changes:

Aiming is permanently set to Expert.
Maximum health is reduced by half.
Health regenerates more slowly and begins refilling after a longer delay.
Dead-eye does not automatically fill over time. It must be earned by killing enemies or using items.
Horses do not regenerate. If killed, you must purchase, steal, mount, or break another horse and then hitch it to a post to earn the right to call it by whistling. Note that horse deeds are still available and unlimited, but twice as expensive.
Store items cost more. Sell values are lowered.
Reward/drops/looting amounts are lowered (ammunition and money).
Pardon letters are more rare.
Fame and Honor gains are reduced.
Mini-game buy-ins are lowered to match the scarcity of money.
Warhorse deed must be purchased for $10,000 (available in any General Store).
Deadly Assassin outfit increases the amount of Deadeye gained from kills, rather than over-time regeneration.
Note that Hardcore is only available in the normal Red Dead Redemption campaign -- Undead Nightmare is unaffected.

Other Tips

As with the original Single Player campaign, health regeneration in cover is higher than out of cover. Use this to your advantage!
Master Treasure Hunter increases the maximum stack size for all items from 5 to 10. You can now carry twice as many dead eye items at once.
Master Survivalist allows you to loot an additional type of dead eye regeneration item from plants, increasing the number of dead eye items you can carry.

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200146516-Information-about-Hardcore-Mode-in-Red-Dead-Redemption

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

doctor 7 posted:

^^^efb

Money and ammo are a lot more scarce, stuff is more expensive and sells for less, less health and longer regen, no lock-on aiming, fame and honor level up slower, dead eye doesn't regen except by combat/items. Probably a couple of other minor things I'm forgetting. It's really not that much more difficult except for missions when you're on a horse or train with enemies everywhere and can't locate, aim and shoot them all in time before they plink you to death in 2-3 good shots. Especially if you have the mini-map turned off.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Decided to pick my Hardcore game up again and managed to finally get out of Mexico. The game's been an absolute buggy mess since restarting last night, though. Like I know the game was notoriously glitchy, but I went through a full normal game + Undead Nightmare with almost no problems; considering myself lucky.

In my HC save I have permanent aggro from people sitting at campfires, hunters, and sometimes law enforcement, despite having no bounty and high honor. Once I turned in a bounty to get immediately shot in the face by the Sheriff I turned it in to. Casa Madrugada is now a zoo, with almost every occupant replaced with a non-aggressive wild animal. Invisible people in cutscenes, the list goes on. No amount of reloading saves or restarting the console seems to remedy it.

I mean it was amusing at first, but I'd like to be able to gather herbs without getting shot in the back by random passers-by.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Holy poo poo this is a thing? I can't wait until I get my new HDTV now!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Not available via patching I take it?

E:

Oh, nope. drat.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 21, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've been playing this again recently, does anyone know which weapons are made cheaper by wearing the Savvy Merchant Suit? I'm trying to get 100% Completion but no info I've found indicates that all the rare weapons are discounted by wearing the Savvy Merchant Outfit. Mainly I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth waiting for the outfit to buy the rare guns in Escalera.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I believe the cost of all guns are cut in half with the outfit, then there's another discount once your honor is 'Peacemaker' or higher.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Philip J Fry posted:

I believe the cost of all guns are cut in half with the outfit, then there's another discount once your honor is 'Peacemaker' or higher.

This is correct, except for the Explosive Rifle which is always full price unless you're a Peacemaker.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

And it's something like $10K, making a discount pretty much necessary in hardcore mode.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to return to Escalera after I get the outfit then, I was hoping I could get everything in each area before I moved on but if I want to try for the Explosive Rifle I'll need all the discounts I can get.

Another question, is there any trick for getting all the bounty locations in an area? I see a lot of tips on how to catch bounties, but I really just wanna know if there's some trick to getting all the locations posted in a somewhat timely manner.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

They are usually posted in a somewhat sequential manner so that you don't do the same one twice, but I just look at the list and check them off as I go down it. If you come across one that you've already done, ride over to the next closest bounty posting. There's three places in US and Mexico; two in West Elizabeth. Mexico is the worst due to the locations and the terrain.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunting

Beeez
May 28, 2012
And the sequential-ness is shared between the three posting areas? Thanks for the help. One roadblock is I went after a guy at Mercer Station and he managed to get over to the Rio Bravo area before I caught him, so now I'm not sure if he counted for nothing, Mercer Station, or Rio Del Lobo.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I'm not for certain if they post sequentially, but I've usually had pretty good luck without ever seeing the same ones pop up over and over when trying to get the last few I need. All I know is that if one is posted at site #1 and then ride over to site #2, it'll be a different bounty location.

If you're not sure which ones you've done, you can check Rockstar's social club site if you're signed up on it. That one should count for Mercer Station though; it goes by the origin. You could chase someone from Nekoti Rock to Rathskeller Fort and it'll still count for Nekoti Rock.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Thanks again. On the topic of selling things, is there anything besides "Flowers for a Lady" and "Daedalus and Son" that requires plants and animal parts? I'm trying to figure out if I can just sell everything I don't need for Daedalus and Son, since I've already completed Flowers for a Lady.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

No, not that I recall. There's a few achievements and legendary ranks related to hunting and gathering, but gameplay-wise those two missions are the only collectathons I can remember. Goddamned beavers! :argh:

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I'm dreading that part. Apologies for all the questions, but I'm trying to the Master Hunter challenges right now, specifically 4-6. Do you happen to have any tips for how to find boars, cougars, foxes, raccoons, and skunks?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just wander into the woods when you are avoiding bears, and trust me, the boars will come.

Look south of the woods in the plains area, later on in the game and you should find quite a few of em.

Bastards chased me all over the god damned map :argh:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I'm dreading that part. Apologies for all the questions, but I'm trying to the Master Hunter challenges right now, specifically 4-6. Do you happen to have any tips for how to find boars, cougars, foxes, raccoons, and skunks?

No worries, it's my favorite game of all time. Can't wait for a sequel on the next-gen consoles.

Boars - Occasionally there's some just north of Macfarlane Ranch by the RR tracks and the big hill, but they seem to spawn more often in the marsh area to the right just before entering Thieve's Landing. Also a bunch along the shoreline/bluffs between the wrecked steamboat and Blackwater.

Cougars - There's one in the same marsh area as the boars from time to time. One or two along the switchbacks up to Fort Mercer. Another reliable one is just south of Rathskeller Fort/east of Silent Stead in the large field area. And again, another easy one in the same place as the boars between the steamboat and Blackwater. Maybe the safest since it sits right in the middle of the field (you can dead-eye dynamite it for one of the challenges.)

Foxes - Pretty much anywhere in Hennigan's Stead, I can't pick out any one spot. Also prevalent in Tall Trees.

Raccoons - Same as foxes, but seem to linger around the outskirts of towns and farms at night.

Skunks - Also everywhere, usually along roadsides, but I've seen one reliably spawn behind Herbert Moon's shop at night. You can shoot it, skin it, run into the main street to the end of town by the post office and loop back and there will be another one. Rinse and repeat.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 2, 2014

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm glad you don't mind. And yeah, I really hope they make another one, maybe one that takes place in the 1800s. Maybe even call it something like Red Dead Revenge and base it on the classic revenge western tropes.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

I'm glad you don't mind. And yeah, I really hope they make another one, maybe one that takes place in the 1800s. Maybe even call it something like Red Dead Revenge and base it on the classic revenge western tropes.

Red Dead Rising: Revengeance :haw:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Isn't that just what Red Dead Revolver was?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Beeez posted:

And the sequential-ness is shared between the three posting areas? Thanks for the help. One roadblock is I went after a guy at Mercer Station and he managed to get over to the Rio Bravo area before I caught him, so now I'm not sure if he counted for nothing, Mercer Station, or Rio Del Lobo.

Turns out I was wrong on this...if the bounty gets far enough away, it won't count for the location. To prevent this, you can actually kill all of the horses first and it won't draw any attention from the gang members.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bloodcider posted:

I never played it.

Philip J Fry posted:

Turns out I was wrong on this...if the bounty gets far enough away, it won't count for the location. To prevent this, you can actually kill all of the horses first and it won't draw any attention from the gang members.

Well, it actually did count for me, so it's all good.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iince I'm a giant shitlord, I've been playing with no HUD and trying to navigate using the paper map that came with the GOTY edition. Only issue I'm having is I can't tell who my bounty targets are. Is there any way to tell the difference between the guys milling around at the bounty locations?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I played but I don't think there's anything that stands out about them.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

If you sit way back with a sniper rifle and just keep shooting the closest gang members that runs toward you, he should be the last one left. He'll usually take cover until his gang is wiped out and then try to escape on horse, or shoot it out with you.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

Iince I'm a giant shitlord, I've been playing with no HUD and trying to navigate using the paper map that came with the GOTY edition. Only issue I'm having is I can't tell who my bounty targets are. Is there any way to tell the difference between the guys milling around at the bounty locations?

You'll need to look through a sniper rifle and not peg the dude who looks like the mug on your bounty posting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, as I surprisingly discovered yesterday, you can shoot em in the leg and still bring em in alive. I was using the cattleman revolver though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bloodcider posted:

Basically, yeah.

Red Dead Revolver was bonkers in the best way. It's been a long time since I played it, but if you want a comparison, think of Redemption as a revisionist Western from the 90's (Unforgiven) and Revolver as pure rear end Spaghetti (the original Django). There was no open world, and it was really arcadey, but man there were some memorable sections and characters. It also had a really, really cool quick-draw mechanic (much better than Redemption's). There was even a dueling tournament a la The Quick and The Dead.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, as I surprisingly discovered yesterday, you can shoot em in the leg and still bring em in alive. I was using the cattleman revolver though.

Kneecapping dudes owns because more often than not they'll drop their weapon and grab their knee, so you can hogtie em up nice and easy

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

It's been a long time since I played it, but if you want a comparison, think of Redemption as a revisionist Western from the 90's (Unforgiven) and Revolver as pure rear end Spaghetti (the original Django).

Expanding upon this, I feel like there are multiple motifs going on in RDR. The New Austin campaign feels like a "classic" Western from the 1950s, whereas the Mexico arc is pretty much Sergio Leone in videogame form, while West Elizabeth is firmly in the Unforgiven style. I like the New Austin part of the game the best, fwiw.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Expanding upon this, I feel like there are multiple motifs going on in RDR. The New Austin campaign feels like a "classic" Western from the 1950s, whereas the Mexico arc is pretty much Sergio Leone in videogame form, while West Elizabeth is firmly in the Unforgiven style. I like the New Austin part of the game the best, fwiw.

Yeah, they hit a lot of different beats for sure. Tall Trees and Manzanita Post reminded me of Jeremiah Johnson especially. There was a lot of post-Spaghetti stuff with the Indians, too. The Outlaw Josie Wales, for example, humanized Indians a lot.

I agree that the game progresses through Western subgenres chronologically, but it's more subtle than overt. The fact that the (arguably) main antagonist, van der Linde, wasn't a static black hat character speaks to the big time revisionist slant of the game. I love Westerns if it wasn't obvious.

e: for a wrong noun

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 8, 2014

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Anti-Hero posted:

Absolutely. The music actually follows this same form too - the soundtrack in New Austin, especially during missions, feels more like a Ford western, the Mexico music feels more like a Leone western, and the Blackwater and environs music sounds more like the New Western era.

On another note, this is a few months old, but it just came through my Facebook feed this morning: an article on what happened to the actor who played John Marston.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/6/19/4406600/small-town-man-John-Marston

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

New Austin is my favorite as well. Tons of terrain variety, several hideouts, a couple of towns and farms, the big rear end ranch, a lake with a cabin, a train station and almost anywhere is great for catching the sunrise and sunset. I really dig the music, too, especially when it's just the whistling or harmonica. Plus there's the McFarlanes who seem like the only decent people in the game and who are the ones that really bring out the better side of Marston. Every time I start up the game and stumble out onto the ranch with sore ribs, the world feels fresh and new.

That polygon piece is great; thanks for sharing it. Rockstar always seems to nail their casting and it's endearing that Wiethoff's family views all but parallel Marston's. The dude has a great cowboy voice and I can't even imagine John sounding any different. Ricketts' was amazing too; RIP Landon's VA.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

Basically, yeah.

Red Dead Revolver was bonkers in the best way. It's been a long time since I played it, but if you want a comparison, think of Redemption as a revisionist Western from the 90's (Unforgiven) and Revolver as pure rear end Spaghetti (the original Django). There was no open world, and it was really arcadey, but man there were some memorable sections and characters. It also had a really, really cool quick-draw mechanic (much better than Redemption's). There was even a dueling tournament a la The Quick and The Dead.

The reward for 100% completing the game was retarded though. You got a chaingun when at that point there was nothing left to do in the world, since it wasn't a sandbox. No NG+ to gently caress around with it either.

e: Wait, no I'm thinking of Gun

• Locked thread