Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Time to start working on some .abc files for the Ballad of the Windfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Before I sink more time into this:

1.) Has someone written a walkthrough in the thread? I'm not reading the whole thing yet because I want to be kinda surprised at things, but I'm jealous of all the cool stuff you're getting up to.

2.) There are no saplings. Does that mean when I cut down all the trees that's it or is there a way they can regrow.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ethanol posted:

How do you know saves reset tomorrow?

I don't think the devs have actually said anything that guarantees there will be a reset. People are just being pessimistic. Unless something was said recently that I missed.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rita Repulsa posted:

1.) Has someone written a walkthrough in the thread? I'm not reading the whole thing yet because I want to be kinda surprised at things, but I'm jealous of all the cool stuff you're getting up to.

2.) There are no saplings. Does that mean when I cut down all the trees that's it or is there a way they can regrow.

1. There's some basic info in the OP.

2. You can fly to other planets for more trees and I've heard (haven't tested) that if you don't cut down the very base of the tree it can regrow from that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rita Repulsa posted:

1. There are some barebones "guides" but they mostly boil down to "just go out and explore and kill poo poo, stay close to the surface and planet hop while feeding every tree to your ship." There's very little repurcussions for dying early on, especially if you stick to the surface, so just go out and be a rifter hero. If you die, all you lose are some pixels you weren't going to need anyway.

2. I think someone said trees automatically regrow, but if there aren't any more trees you should just go to the next planet anyway.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Found a planet with a field of flowers for a spawn:

And only a minute or so away, I found some thorns and... spikes? The spikes were made of cobblestone, so they were probably made by someone, and the thorns were probably placed by them too.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Attention Horse posted:

Our space band just had a first rehearsal of our newest hit single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwjxxXFS1yg

So I guess this game is alright.

When recording this we tested the "Band" function. Basically if you enter the same band name and play the same .abc file, the game will automatically sync you ACROSS DIFFRENT INTRUMENTS AS WELL. Which is :krad: as hell.

Still. We need that mic.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is anyone else having trouble with the server today? I set up the ports and whatnot on the router last night, my mates could connect fine, then tonight it's a no go - I can connect to the server but nobody else can. I've checked the config and the port is still the same, so I dunno what's up with it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
...I'm just worried about my resources.
If wood and plant fibre aren't renewable it makes things a little nail-biting as I wonder if I'm not going to waste all my potential fuel and fast healing means. And I'm not really sure where to go if I actually used some fuel or if I can obtain gear from my planet or if I need to go places for that.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Rita Repulsa posted:

If wood and plant fibre aren't renewable it makes things a little nail-biting as I wonder if I'm not going to waste all my potential fuel and fast healing means. And I'm not really sure where to go if I actually used some fuel or if I can obtain gear from my planet or if I need to go places for that.

The universe is near-infinite so you actually have near-infinite resources.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Why is the only living being, besides monsters, that I can find are avians? I found a Glitch dungeon once, but I can't find it again.

Anyway found a Avian clothing merchant:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rita Repulsa posted:

They are planning to add growing trees/seeds, so chop now and replant later.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rita Repulsa posted:

Trees regrow on their own, so do vines. Clearcut the whole drat planet.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Rita Repulsa posted:

My wheat farming efforts spit out more plant fiber than actual wheat, tomato harvesting also produces some plant fiber, so that is definitely renewable.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

senae posted:

Trees regrow on their own, so do vines. Clearcut the whole drat planet.

Trees definitely don't regrow, or they haven't on any of the three planets I've logged into nothingness.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Who said that Florans are barbaric savages? You gotta keep up with the times!

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013

Kikas posted:

When recording this we tested the "Band" function. Basically if you enter the same band name and play the same .abc file, the game will automatically sync you ACROSS DIFFRENT INTRUMENTS AS WELL. Which is :krad: as hell.

Still. We need that mic.

Although in most situations it's useless, you don't actually need to be playing the same song for the sync to work. Dueling Banjos. Yes, it was awesome.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I bought Starbound early yesterday morning and since then, I've somehow managed to put in over 24 hours of playtime already. I can easily say that this was the best $15 I have spent this year and expect to be putting hundreds of hours of playtime into it over the next year. If you're on the fence about buying it, don't hesitate any longer; buy it now, as I guarantee you will not regret it.

Also, as a long time Terraria player, I actually didn't have much trouble with the UFO boss. What I did was farm for the best armor available, an iron bow, and about 100 bandages, then circled my planet chopping down every drat tree in existence. I made about 600 platforms and made a 3 high arena starting about half a screen above my base similar to one you'd make in Terraria to fight the Eye of Cthulu, each run about 200 units wide with 9 units of vertical separation. I summoned the boss late-day. The battle raged throughout the night and well into the next day, since that bow was literally plinking the ufos health off 10 at a time, interrupted by frequent departures of the ufo to go chase random birds. Its movement was fairly predictable however and it *only* hit me for a third of my life at a time when I got careless, which a single bandage healed. After I finally downed the thing, I made to go back down but was confronted by an army of penguin men and tanks that had encircled my house. Apparently, making that arena high off the ground was a very good decision... I finished that day off killing all the adds.

Even with the clearly unfinished state of the game, I have been having a fantastic time.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Game has been great so far, went to the Apex lab that had the coords posted earlier in the thread, i now have a shitload of dyes, how do you use em?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Are there hotkeys for healing items? I know in Terraria it was "H" used your highest tier potion. I tried "H" yesterday with bandages in my hotbar but it did nothing.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I found my first instrument, an electric guitar, so now I'm running around playing the Star Wars theme. Hell yes.

edit: Also, I've read that not only can you play abc files, but can also press keys to get different notes to play, but I can't figure it out. Is this feature actually in the game?

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 6, 2013

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009
What do you have to plant Currentcorn in to get it to grow? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as it doesn't seem to grow in generic dirt.

Dox023 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 6, 2013

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Look at these guys they're so happy they got tomatoes :3:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

What the heck are these? Found in a chest on some 30 world.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Attention Horse posted:

Haha, I lost it when your guitarist did the guitar solo on his knees.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Thanks for the help so far.
One last thing: How do I find villages and stuff? Will I have to leave the planet to find them if I don't immediately see them?
Just want to buy some bombs.

Jusupov posted:

I'm not sure what it's FOR
The object itself is a homestuck reference

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

omeg posted:

Who said that Florans are barbaric savages? You gotta keep up with the times!

:colbert:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Jusupov posted:

It's a perfectly generic object. How could something be more generic than this?

(It is a Homestuck reference :negative:) ((too slow :argh:))

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's just a placeholder item for when there's a typo or other invalidation of a recipe or whatever.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Attention Horse posted:

That is loving awesome.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kikas posted:

Does anyone have any coordinates for the Microphone?
In any case, in the Beta Sector there is a Moon at -40803206 , 35049887 with a Flute and a Lead Guitar, edited the info into the google doc.

This is an old post but unfortunately instruments are considered random loot and are not attached to the seed. As far as I'm aware, this should be everything attached to the seed:

• Techs
  • Structures/Points of Interest
  • World Generation (basic terrain, flesh/eyeball/rainbow/etc forests, bone mountains, etc)
  • Chests in places of interest (do not have the same loot for every player - only Tech chests seem to have loot attached to the seed) - instruments seem to be random loot found in these
  • Ore

Did anyone ever figure out what the deal with Gravity Bubble is? It seems to cost Energy for some players but mine does not, allowing literally infinite flight. Now that I have Impervium armor I can fly straight up to Asteroids and mine the plutonium that has no use except to power my spaceship.

e: Also really disappointed that cutting down giant tentacles gives wood and not some kind of tentacle matter :smith:

vvvv No, it's random. I got mine on my second kill but you're not the first person I've seen posting about getting hundreds of Inferiors.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't find a superior brain, but have hundreds of inferiors. Am I doing this wrong?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I just kept brain zapping until I suddenly got a superior one

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

crowfeathers posted:

I can't find a superior brain, but have hundreds of inferiors. Am I doing this wrong?

Just like real life. Majority of people are just that stupid.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

I don't know much about ABC notation. How do you make your character whistle while playing?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I completely wiped out a prisoner colony and all of those dudes pretty much had guns. But not a single gun drop occurred. Whats the best way to get them?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I hope we get the option to dye clothes at some point. The winter armour hat is just begging to be died red so I can create a Glitch named Quote.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Found a Glitch in a robe and wizard hat in a small castle on my desert planet. He didn't do anything for me or turn hostile.

So I killed him and moved into his castle.

Now I'm King Monkey.

My only regret is that he didn't drop the robe and hat.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If you guys build a free-standing structure following this style I'll turn it into a ship for you.

Or make it in photoshop or whatever doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
He was a shopkeep who would have sold you stims and a wizard hat, actually.

• Locked thread