Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
such insight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

and here I was thinking the exact opposite

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

in conclusion, libya is a land of contrast

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
static and dynamically typed languages are the same sides of two different coins.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the real difference is between static and weak typing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I am a type fascist

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

I am a type fascist

Adolf Hindley-Milner

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the real difference is between static and weak typing

you mean strong and weak
ask a interviewee the difference between strong, weak, static, dynamic typing for head explosions 90% of the time.

also the only unacceptable one is weak typing. Every language that defaults to weak typing is horrible because the people who use them are horrible

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

kraftwerk singles posted:

Adolf Hindley-Milner

moooods

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MeruFM posted:

also the only unacceptable one is weak typing. Every language that defaults to weak typing is horrible because the people who use them are horrible

lhwya

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MeruFM posted:

you mean strong and weak
ask a interviewee the difference between strong, weak, static, dynamic typing for head explosions 90% of the time.

strong typing and static typing are the same thing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nomnom Cookie posted:

strong typing and static typing are the same thing

now snatch this pebble from my hand

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

MeruFM posted:

no, weak typing is better than strong typing. the way a value is stored in the computer is an implementation detail that programmers should not have to think or care about. (except in special cases like embedded systems where worrying about memory is necessary ofc)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
thread's looping, close it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

this morning someone tweeted about how maybe by the year 2045 we'll make a compiler that can tell you when you're missing a semicolon and where instead of complaining about an unspecified syntax error 6 lines down

my first reaction was that even if that happened, programmers would universally reject it because they're masochistic idiots who love doing things like writing boilerplate type conversion code

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

thread's looping, close it

yeah but you can't prove that it's looping

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
bugchasing but https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/issues/3057

quote:

douglascrockford commented 2 years ago
TC39 is considering the use of ! as an infix operator. This code will break in the future. Fix it now. Learn to use semicolons properly. ! is not intended to be a statement separator. ; is.

fat commented 2 years ago
i have learned to use them, that's why there isn't one present.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

jesus christ

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ahaha that owns

douglas crockford is an idiot who makes things for people who hate javascript for not being excessively spergy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
tbc all you have to do is upgrade from php to node.js, which is faster than php and automatically handles semicolons and has the same sloppy typing as php

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i mean just so we're all clear on this, this is a person, and many people in agreement with him, saying that there is a bug in syntactically unimpeachable code that does exactly what it's supposed to because it will stop working if it is passed through a third-party tool that does not properly parse the language

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i mean just so we're all clear on this, this is a person, and many people in agreement with him, saying that there is a bug in syntactically unimpeachable code that does exactly what it's supposed to because it will stop working if it is passed through a third-party tool that does not properly parse the language

tbc was right

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this morning someone tweeted about how maybe by the year 2045 we'll make a compiler that can tell you when you're missing a semicolon and where instead of complaining about an unspecified syntax error 6 lines down

my first reaction was that even if that happened, programmers would universally reject it because they're masochistic idiots who love doing things like writing boilerplate type conversion code

we have a compiler that does this, it's called clang, everyone loves it, destroy police

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i want browsers that refuse to render bad html and css

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
and make them the only browsers available

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MeruFM posted:

here u go, credit otto if you fork this source to port it to qt or whatever

C++ code:
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	// all html and css are piss garbage for idiots
	return -EBADHTML;
}
e: compiles and runs under recent debian using -Wall -Werror -Wextra -O75

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

humanity is not capable of making an actually functional browser the only one available so there's not much hope for your hypothetical Sperg Explorer

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MeruFM posted:

and make them the only browsers available

IE already exists though

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MeruFM posted:

there was a time when i served my website with the content-type: application/xhtml+xml header, which forces browsers to abandon rendering on the slightest markup error. it worked fine because my markup is perfect and my comments system wouldn't accept invalid html. unfortunately more obscure browsers couldn't handle the header and i had to revert to text/html

what i'm saying is that i'm too perfect for this fallen world, and bad html and css is the internet you deserve

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

qntm posted:

there was a time when i served my website with the content-type: application/xhtml+xml header, which forces browsers to abandon rendering on the slightest markup error. it worked fine because my markup is perfect and my comments system wouldn't accept invalid html. unfortunately more obscure browsers couldn't handle the header and i had to revert to text/html

what i'm saying is that i'm too perfect for this fallen world, and bad html and css is the internet you deserve

im always sad that html is not xml

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i want my compiler to error out if my program has any warnings

i want my browser to fail to render if my html has any errors

i want my car's engine to seize if i turn without activating the blinker

i want planes to crash into the runway if anyone has wireless on in their Kindle

for i am sperg and i can tolerate no imperfection

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i'm happy i can make messages and displays appear on other computers

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this is actually a fantastic idea. a several-thousand-dollar a pop tax on being a fuckhead

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i want my compiler to error out if my program has any warnings

i want my browser to fail to render if my html has any errors

i want planes to crash into the runway if anyone has wireless on in their Kindle

for i am sperg and i can tolerate no imperfection

one of the reasons that planes very rarely crash into runways is that the software controlling their electronics is written not in php, but in a language with a compiler that errors out if their program has any warnings (and they take those warnings very seriously). they also have book-length programming style guides that must be followed to the letter

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i also want this for everybody else's car

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

one of the reasons that planes very rarely crash into runways is that the software controlling their electronics is written not in php, but in a language with a compiler that errors out if their program has any warnings (and they take those warnings very seriously). they also have book-length programming style guides that must be followed to the letter

it didn't stop toyota from being shat on by sperges when they releasing their code after the cop crashing fiasco

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MeruFM posted:

it didn't stop toyota from being shat on by sperges when they releasing their code after the cop crashing fiasco

perhaps thats because they did not in fact follow the programming guide to the letter

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i will never use bootstrap on a non-inherited project ever again

fwiw it has nothing to do with any of what's going on in that link

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

what is your gripe with bootstrap sulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

one complaint i hear a lot is that bootstrap makes sites look same-y because customizing it is hard. apparently this is supposed to be easier with bootstrap 3