Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Tulip posted:

Here's an old, simple grief that i don't remember seeing in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OiamBxxoXA

If I'm thinking of the right map can't he just have gone down to the left and shot the grate out, having an exit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sage Grimm posted:

I do hope you aren't being serious.

I'm pretty sure there being a PUA scene proves that. :v:

Edit for content:
I'm starting to really like going to "no Americans" servers simply because talking causes people to seeth. It's probably the lowest of the low hanging fruit, but I just can't resist.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 7, 2013

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Not an Anthem posted:

If I'm thinking of the right map can't he just have gone down to the left and shot the grate out, having an exit?

Dude really wanted to get to the roof.
And the drop to the left back then was to the spawn point just yards away from the other side entrance. Memory could be wrong though.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
So in Planetside 2, in certain larger bases there are these mystical beams of light in the basements of the spawn rooms that can take you to different, further out parts of the base a lot quicker and a lot safer than just hoofing it. In Amp stations one of these vents will shoot you straight up out of the floor and into the area where you can pull vehicles from.

This area is also behind a vehicle shield, which means opposing enemies can't normally drive a tank in and tear the room apart. However as the base gets overrun there is a way to disable that shield and at that point it's usually just a matter of hanging around until the base flips completely.

As an opposing player if you stand on top of or park a vehicle on where this hole in the floor is, you get a warning about that being an out of bounds area and will consistently take damage until you die or your vehicle explodes.

However, one faction (Vanu Sovereignty) has a tank that hovers just high enough to not trigger the effect.

Cue lots of angry hate tells from people on the losing side of a fight about how I'm cheating and exploiting by blocking the hole. I don't know why they complain, I'm just keeping them safe so they don't rack up a ton of deaths by popping out one by one into a very hostile room v:v:v

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
So whats the deal with Planetside 2? Is there a point to controlling any of those bases/territories/whatever? Can you actually win? Or is it a case of we're taking their area b7, while they're taking our x9, tomorrow it's be reversed, ad nauseum?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Present posted:

So whats the deal with Planetside 2? Is there a point to controlling any of those bases/territories/whatever? Can you actually win? Or is it a case of we're taking their area b7, while they're taking our x9, tomorrow it's be reversed, ad nauseum?

It's the latter. I mean, controlling areas gives some advantage, but the point is that you're on a server with potentially hundreds of other players and all the battles are going on in real time, all the time. Instead of a pretend 64-man skirmish it's a for realsies pretend war.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The SA thread title for it was at one point (I don't know if it's changed or not) "A battle of attrition in a war of infinite resources", which kind of sums it up pretty well.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Splicer posted:

Are there any good StarBound griefs yet? I know it's only been 48 hours but I have faith in the internet.

As of right now in the game,
1. You can edit your player account to add items easily
2. You can have bombs that explode things
3. You spawn on the same planet that everyone else spawned on as a newbie

I saw this one but it was incredibly non-effective considering it was done on a goon server and everyone jumped into the pit, laughed, and circumvented it.

One that is more nasty is well, (from the starbound thread)

10 Spawn in
20 Get killed by spinning propeller
30 goto 10

You can't even have a buddy teleport in to destroy it, because they teleport where you spawn, then die.

You can't go your singleplayer, because your ship state is saved and held onto.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Forer posted:

Space Terraria

Are there any videos of this game being griefed?

P.S. Zelmarked shows off a new and likely to be patched method with the MAV/UAV stuff here :D

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 7, 2013

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is the same issue terraria had at its launch. Maybe still has it I dunno.

Glad to see terraria 1.4 has the same issue.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What happened? He flew the MAV/UAV into the rotors of the chopper and it took the chopper out?
That's a bad thing?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Croccers posted:

What happened? He flew the MAV/UAV into the rotors of the chopper and it took the chopper out?
That's a bad thing?

To them it's a bad thing he's not on the front lines using real guns and fighting hard like a real player and instead just ramming an infinite amount of remote vehicles (that are in every sense distracting and ammo wasting to the victims) into enemies, and word is that one of the new ones doesn't get destroyed when you ram people with it :getin:

Since he always sits on an ammo box he'll always get a refill of these so I'd assume it will be patched because I'm also assuming there are transport choppers and such and anyone with a drone can just take it down with zero issue. Wonder if planes are affected...

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Since he always sits on an ammo box he'll always get a refill of these so I'd assume it will be patched because I'm also assuming there are transport choppers and such and anyone with a drone can just take it down with zero issue. Wonder if planes are affected...
Who needs bird strike when you can have UAV-strike?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In Starbound you can basically change one line on a text file and your starter pickaxe can suddenly mine 1000x1000 blocks instantly, and you can take it to unmodded multiplayer servers.
Wrecking digital sandcastles isn't really a fun or creative grief but doing it in about half a second at least saves you the time.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Vib Rib posted:

In Starbound you can basically change one line on a text file and your starter pickaxe can suddenly mine 1000x1000 blocks instantly, and you can take it to unmodded multiplayer servers.
Wrecking digital sandcastles isn't really a fun or creative grief but doing it in about half a second at least saves you the time.

This is something I would love to see. Are there any videos of this?

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Lunethex posted:

To them it's a bad thing he's not on the front lines using real guns and fighting hard like a real player and instead just ramming an infinite amount of remote vehicles (that are in every sense distracting and ammo wasting to the victims) into enemies, and word is that one of the new ones doesn't get destroyed when you ram people with it :getin:

The primary setback about the UCAV is it has about a 10 second limit, so it's hard to reach vehicles/players that are really far from you. They'll definitely patch the SUAV so it explodes on contact with players, hopefully it still roadkills.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MizPiz posted:

I'm pretty sure there being a PUA scene proves that. :v:

Edit for content:
I'm starting to really like going to "no Americans" servers simply because talking causes people to seeth. It's probably the lowest of the low hanging fruit, but I just can't resist.

Do you have to fake a really bad Texan accent, or is that just a bonus? :clint:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Vib Rib posted:

Why are the people who develop these games always completely terrible at security?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jabor posted:

Why are the people who develop these games always completely terrible at security?
They're usually self taught enthusiasts without a full CS education, and these projects are usually prototyped rapidly. Not that people who have formal education are necessarily better.

To be fair, starbound is an alpha that came out yesterday, so they're focusing on adding features instead of fixing bugs, and there's no serverbrowser so you're meant to ask your friends directly for the server ips. The devs themselves said they were going to wipe both characters and worlds as patches rolled in anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They also said to only play with friends because griefing was going to be so possible. But that doesn't stop people from making public advertised servers on Reddit.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dareon posted:

Do you have to fake a really bad Texan accent, or is that just a bonus? :clint:

I actually go for a mid-western accent topped with being overtly polite, but an elitist, southern gentlemen does sound fun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MizPiz posted:

I actually go for a mid-western accent topped with being overtly polite, but an elitist, southern gentlemen does sound fun.

It'd be fun to study which accent/disposition combo gets the most rage. I'd guess a brash attitude with a Southern or New Yawwk accent would get the quickest reactions. But if you were to put on your best Minnesota accent and said "yah well, I s'pose good luck 'n have fun den, eh?" I bet everyone would just assume you're Canadian :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Surely the most effective would be that "American" accent British comedians go for when they aren't playing Dr. Gregory House-- flat, a little nasal, but also with a bit of some sort of cowboy-Texas twang mixed in. "Yessir, this is a mighty fine server here. You guys [note: mix different regions together] mind if I join in? I know the server said 'No Americans', but poo poo, come on now."

Now I'm curious what game has "No Americans Allowed" servers.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It'd be fun to study which accent/disposition combo gets the most rage. I'd guess a brash attitude with a Southern or New Yawwk accent would get the quickest reactions. But if you were to put on your best Minnesota accent and said "yah well, I s'pose good luck 'n have fun den, eh?" I bet everyone would just assume you're Canadian :v:

Valleyspeak might be a leading candidate for such a study.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

treizebee posted:

Don't forget to make smacking sounds with your lips like you're chewing gum, whenever you aren't talking.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There needs to be the right amount of smug, self-satisfaction mixed with the in-your-face politeness to get a good midwestern. Simply put, it is pretty much doing a Canadian accent with an attitude of American exceptionalism.

Ofaloaf posted:

Surely the most effective would be that "American" accent British comedians go for when they aren't playing Dr. Gregory House-- flat, a little nasal, but also with a bit of some sort of cowboy-Texas twang mixed in. "Yessir, this is a mighty fine server here. You guys [note: mix different regions together] mind if I join in? I know the server said 'No Americans', but poo poo, come on now."

Quite a few Steam servers (TF2 and DoD mostly) and Battlefield 3, at least that's where I've seen them. Thing is, it's not surprising for Americans to actually be a part of the server (pretty sure one was ran by an American) if they are "one of the good ones".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ofaloaf posted:

I think go for an English accent (region immaterial) but use American phrasing and idiom.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I think go for an English accent (region immaterial) but use Southern American phrasing and idiom.

Fixed

E: "Well sheeeiiiit any of yall up for a spot of tea?"

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
Now I want to go to one of these servers and do an awful cockney accent while being really defensive about being American but never admitting it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Agean90 posted:

Fixed

E: "Well sheeeiiiit any of yall up for a spot of tea?"

A personal favourite of "ethnic" mixing I once encountered was a woman who was born to Italian parents in middle-of-sodding-nowhere Texas. She spoke Italian fluently but had a noticable Texas twang while speaking English. She summarised her idiolect with the phrase "poo poo-howdy-buongiorno!", which has subsequently stuck with me all these years.

I'm weird.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

treizebee posted:

Anybody speak Yiddish?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Doodles posted:

Anybody speak Yiddish?

Yeah, but this is all you should need to grief.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Moronic Farce posted:

Now I want to go to one of these servers and do an awful cockney accent while being really defensive about being American but never admitting it.

Do an American's interpretation of an English accent. You know the one they do when all they know of England is Austin Powers and Harry Potter.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Action Tortoise posted:

Do an American's interpretation of an English accent. You know the one they do when all they know of England is Austin Powers and Harry Potter.
To be fair, Welsh English is a pain in the rear end to mimic unless you, too, come from a language that lines a dozen consonants up in a row.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Welsh is like overhearing someone speak English in another room.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Crossposting this from the Pokemon thread, because this is too good not to share: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-68178871

If you're not familiar with Pokemon, what happens here is Slowbro uses Block on a Pokemon that can't 2-hit-KO him, which traps it until one Pokemon faints or Slowbro switches. Slowbro then spams Slack Off, which heals 50% of his health. Normally, this kind of stalling is limited by a move's PP, which dictates how many times you can use a given move. However, Slowbro is holding a Leppa Berry, which is a one-time use item that restores PP. Combine that with the move Recycle, which allows you to re-use any consumed item in battle, and you have effectively infinite PP.

The real beauty of this is what happens when the opponent's PP eventually runs out. Normally, if a Pokemon has 0 PP, they use a move called Struggle, which does very little damage and deals 25% of the user's HP in self-damage, meaning eventually the battle would end if someone runs out of PP. Enter Slowbro's 4th move, Heal Pulse. Heal Pulse heals the target's Pokemon by 50%. With this, Slowbro creates a battle that literally can never end until someone quits, or the Slowbro user messes up and forgets to use a certain move at the right time.

The replay only goes up to turn 224, but apparently the match went above 400 turns.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So how did it end?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It didn't. it's still going.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

The community manager for Star Trek Online has started doing livestream events to show off how awesome and fun the game is. So far he's done one for the new battlezone which has ground and space content, and one for the older end game grind missions everyone has to do and doesn't find fun anymore.

Naturally goons had to come and get on the big screen too.

We brought all the loud and bright toys we could find, then tracked him down and followed him through combat zones while he tried to kill things and remain professional for his company livestream. He switched zones, he hid in a safe area and made an info window fullscreen so he couldn't see us, he turned the sound off so nobody could hear us, he ran. We still followed. Watching him go from happy to sweating to pretty pissed looking made the event magical.

If you don't want to watch that lovely hour long livestream, the next one has a gif.

The second one involved Branflakes going and doing ancient grind missions that everyone has seen a billion times. He was wise to our tricks by now, so took the precaution of grouping with 4 people he already knew and only doing private queues. Unfortunately for him he started the mission and livestream from a public zone, and one of us found him and used an item from the special Winter Event zone on him, to get in the Christmas Spirit.

A Lamer posted:

Riyott pointed out this great video (1:53:30 in) and wanted a couple of gifs, but for some reason doesn't want you all to see it. Perhaps he is the true enemy of the federation??

I can't wait to see what the next livestream will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Constable Lemon posted:

Crossposting this from the Pokemon thread, because this is too good not to share: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-68178871

The real beauty of this is what happens when the opponent's PP eventually runs out. Normally, if a Pokemon has 0 PP, they use a move called Struggle, which does very little damage and deals 25% of the user's HP in self-damage, meaning eventually the battle would end if someone runs out of PP. Enter Slowbro's 4th move, Heal Pulse. Heal Pulse heals the target's Pokemon by 50%. With this, Slowbro creates a battle that literally can never end until someone quits, or the Slowbro user messes up and forgets to use a certain move at the right time.

The replay only goes up to turn 224, but apparently the match went above 400 turns.
Wait why can you heal an opponents HP? Why would you ever do that?

• Locked thread