Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
What's my next armor step after the steel racial set? I've got nothing I can build at the robot work station or forge and I'm a bit lost. I've been able to snag a pretty good weapon, but the things I'm able to one shot also one shot me.

EDIT: Oh, I guess Platinum and such have shown up. Is there any reasonable way to locate these ores in decent quantities? Digging around is pretty painful.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I was wandering what I think was Arakkis and basically ran into a Glitch Medieval Castle. They said I couldn't come in, even though I was a Florian with a mushroom on my head, so I murdered them all for the indignity of not at least sending out some food.

I got a keytar.

Such is life in the zone.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
I found a gravity bubble while lets you fly forever, it was on -39927687 -56515549 Gamma Gath Memvar 50 II A, if anybody is interested in it.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
So, are 1-handed weapons rare, or am I just stupidly unlucky? I'm sitting on a pile of nearly 20 swords, spears, axes, and hammers that all require both hands to wield. Don't get me wrong, I love stabbing things on fire, but it makes cave exploration a little tedious.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
can I create something on a planet with one player and then visit that planet with a different player and see the changes? obviously not on different servers, but how about single player?

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Rogue Lemon posted:

So, are 1-handed weapons rare, or am I just stupidly unlucky? I'm sitting on a pile of nearly 20 swords, spears, axes, and hammers that all require both hands to wield. Don't get me wrong, I love stabbing things on fire, but it makes cave exploration a little tedious.

It seems like there are no 1-handed weapon drops in the current version of the game, which is a huge bummer as I really like my shield. I'm hoping they change this soon.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Is durasteel used for anything besides furniture and racial weapons yet?

e: nevermind, I figured it out

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 7, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

smashthedean posted:

It seems like there are no 1-handed weapon drops in the current version of the game, which is a huge bummer as I really like my shield. I'm hoping they change this soon.

You can most definitely get 1H weapon drops, they're just substantially less common than two handers.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

You can most definitely get 1H weapon drops, they're just substantially less common than two handers.

I get both equally regularly, so I guess it's luck based :v: I don't like using the one handers tho, I just stick to hammers because they have a lot of reach and a nice attack arc. I bought a blueprint for a pretty nice hammer in one of the towns. It's called "Brick on a stick" and I love is.
Also I've been trying to figure out what the damage formula is, since it's pretty consistent on the same level creatures, and it's always roughly (armor pen - target level)*weapon damage*number of hands. Plus enchantments but gently caress me if I know how to tally them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Network Pesci posted:

You know what I'd like to (not) see? Musical instruments whose sprites are invisible. I want an Air Guitar so I can play air guitar and have it make music as if I were Bill and Ted.

It would be insanely easy to mod this yourself. Just make an empty image to replace the instrument.

Musluk posted:

Dang, about time.

Really? It's the second day of beta, haha.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
So for anyone who's been having problems caving I might be on to your problem. There's deep, like carving down to the planet's molten core on a tiny planet. And then there's DEEP, like digging twice that deep on an enormous planet and having no hope of getting to the core. Basically, unlike Terraria, small worlds DON'T have the same opportunities as large worlds. A small planet starts giving more ore once you're near the center. A large planet at the same depth under the surface will have the same amount of ore, but then you can go deeper still and get even better spawns. I'm on my Threat Level 1 starter world and silver deposits are coming about once per screen of caves, and they contain 4-10 pieces of ore. Maybe I just got a lucky world, but considering the ore has consistently gotten better (first iron was rare, now I'm swimming in it) I think I'm on to something.

Also, traveling away from the spawn to the backside of the world also seems to increase ore spawns. Again, iron was really rare around my spawn area, even to a fair depth. But I found multiple deposits of 50+ pieces as I walked across my entire planet. (It had two pirate ships.)

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Kanos posted:

Is this new to the day 2 patch? I seriously got zero out of probably 50+ drops as 1-handers when playing on release day. I only played a little this morning though and spent most of my time mining/spelunking so maybe things have changed?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

smashthedean posted:

Is this new to the day 2 patch? I seriously got zero out of probably 50+ drops as 1-handers when playing on release day. I only played a little this morning though and spent most of my time mining/spelunking so maybe things have changed?

No, it is not. You were just unlucky.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I got a tool vendor spawner, I stuck it into my printer and it said I could scan it, but it just disappeared when I hit scan, would that have spawned me a super awesome dude for my ship? I'm kind of bummed I didn't just use it.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Reason posted:

I got a tool vendor spawner, I stuck it into my printer and it said I could scan it, but it just disappeared when I hit scan, would that have spawned me a super awesome dude for my ship? I'm kind of bummed I didn't just use it.

It would have, but you probably would have ended up killing him in one hit if you ever alt-tab out, so don't feel too bad

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
Does anyone have any coords for a planet with sky pirates that low threat level? My weapons are garbage and I'm getting wrecked on TL 6 planets in dungeons and castles and stuff. I've literally not found a single weapon in a box and all my armor is silver or iron and I can't kill poo poo fast enough. I want a gun.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So I've learned something today - putting blocks in the lava at the bottom of the world will reveal ore. Not practical at all, but pretty funny. Found a good deal of uranium and plutonium down there, and something called solarium. They're used for fuel, unless you make them into rods, in which case they currently do nothing.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

jymbojones posted:

Does anyone have any coords for a planet with sky pirates that low threat level? My weapons are garbage and I'm getting wrecked on TL 6 planets in dungeons and castles and stuff. I've literally not found a single weapon in a box and all my armor is silver or iron and I can't kill poo poo fast enough. I want a gun.

Sounds like your problem is more in your armour than your weapons. go spelunking or exploring and make yourself a set of silver armour.

If you're sure the problem is weapons, then go to the highest TL planet you can handle and look for pirates to get those guns. The TL of the planet will dictate how much AP you have, which is really important.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Protip: Shields block lasers

They actually seem to block just about everything. I haven't died since I started using a shield. And I died kinda often before, even with a magic weapon in hand. Really hope there'll be better 1H weapons somewhere, but yeah, shields are good!

Also, what I thought to be an awesome hideout,

turned out to be a sewer system.

Yeah, I'm mining poop. What of it? :colbert:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Verviticus posted:

Has anyone tried a server on a home PC? How well has it worked?

I found I could run a full terraria server pretty easily and I'm wondering if the load is about the same.

I ran one for myself and another goon and it was okay. If we went in opposite directions/used the dash tech then the world wasn't able to generate fast enough so we had to stop every once in a while. Not sure if that's an inherent problem or because I was doing it on my meh laptop.

In other news I finally got around to decorating and organizing my ship. The piked skulls really help to give it that 'homey' feel.

I gotta say I started to have a lot more fun once I started using CE to duplicate upgrade materials and poo poo.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

something posted:

Sounds like your problem is more in your armour than your weapons. go spelunking or exploring and make yourself a set of silver armour.

If you're sure the problem is weapons, then go to the highest TL planet you can handle and look for pirates to get those guns. The TL of the planet will dictate how much AP you have, which is really important.

I typed iron, but meant silver because I'm a dumb. My helmet and pants are silver and my chest is iron.

My biggest issue is running into guys who have guns. I just get shot to death before I can DO anything because the iron bow is too goddamn slow to do anything. Also, I've read that TL 7 is the lowest place to find pirates, and I can't handle TL planets if the dudes have guns.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Revol posted:

Really? It's the second day of beta, haha.

Haha, yeah, I was just pissed off getting 1-shot in a level-appropriate planet with the best armor I could craft, and combat's not something I can fix with a bit of JSON editing. Though this is the second day of the open beta, I was also kinda expecting to have a better armor/damage system in place after Bartwe's rigorous item tests and whatever came up within the internal beta. I guess the combat was a wee bit rushed.

In other news, found a cowboy hat:

and a grassy knoll.

:getin:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Does anyone who's wandered around the files have any idea where I could change the duration on the stimpack effects?

Trying to figure out if I can give the red a much longer regen effect (at a slower rate), and turn the yellow into a mining helment until we un-earth an item to that that place.

The duration in effects doesn't change the actual buff duration, and changing the item changes the regen rate/glow effect while the buff is up.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Tin Tim posted:

Protip: Shields block lasers
They actually seem to block just about everything. I haven't died since I started using a shield. And I died kinda often before, even with a magic weapon in hand. Really hope there'll be better 1H weapons somewhere, but yeah, shields are good!

This.

Shields are amazing. Get one AS SOON as you can. They will keep you alive and let you tackle many things that would have otherwise killed you before. Its really, really amazing how much help they are.

I found there are a few really good 1h weapons to craft early on, but after that all I see dropping are 2h weapons. So I hope that gets tweaked a bit.

This game is consuming me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tehsid posted:

This.

Shields are amazing. Get one AS SOON as you can. They will keep you alive and let you tackle many things that would have otherwise killed you before. Its really, really amazing how much help they are.

I found there are a few really good 1h weapons to craft early on, but after that all I see dropping are 2h weapons. So I hope that gets tweaked a bit.

This game is consuming me.

Pretty sure the shield needs to be high level enough or w/e, tried using a shield on a threat 27 planet, it did literally nothing when I blocked.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Whilst I was going through an abandoned Apex facility (which had Energy Dash in), I found an area made up of flesh, bone, and "corrupt" dirt underneath it, as well as a bunch of silver and gold. Being a Floran, I did the obvious thing.

Here's the co-ordinates if anyone wants to check it out themselves: -52049293, -6678417, the Alpha Shedar 3184 III system, the Arid Threat Level 1 planet. The facility is to the left, you can hear the buzzing from the surface.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 7, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Genocyber posted:

Pretty sure the shield needs to be high level enough or w/e, tried using a shield on a threat 27 planet, it did literally nothing when I blocked.

Ah ok. That would make sense. I've only been taking it to low threat places for the moment. I'm sick of losing pixels.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, that would make sense. Otherwise my lovely buckler that I found in a cave on my starter planet would be OP as gently caress.

Musluk posted:

In other news, found a cowboy hat:

and a grassy knoll.

:getin:
I can not even tell you how jealous I am. Really want that hat :allears:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
How do you actually use the mech tech? I have it selected and I just have no idea what to do with it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Found a clarinet :sax:

Also I beat the giant saucer because he got stuck in a wall. I proceeded to a beta sector, had to minimize the window and it crashed. Hope its saved!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Anyone have coordinates for somewhere to buy guns, for someone who is at Alpha sector only?

edit: actually the gdoc says

X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 IId
Avian Pirates (Left)

They sell guns right?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Alpha Zeta Oph Majoris VI a (X -45255476 Y 6905122)

Is also a low threat planet with a ship to the left. Just build straight up when you find an anchor. Guns are 3-600ish pixels.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
As promised, a few quick, lovely screenshots showing the RAINBOW CAPE:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989665917/screenshots/

Also pictured: me rocking the gently caress out with Yakety Sax, Master of Puppets, and the A-team theme on my nylon guitar.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AndroidHub posted:

How do you actually use the mech tech? I have it selected and I just have no idea what to do with it.

Try hitting F. That worked with the Morphball tech.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

turned out to be a sewer system.

Yeah, I'm mining poop. What of it? :colbert:

goty 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

smashthedean posted:

False. I have a 1 handed pistol that does like 20 damage with a good rate of fire. Also found some 1 handed melee.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
The only acceptable way to use pistols is to dual wield them and pretend you're Lara Croft or Neo :colbert:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The hats in this game own.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Damo posted:

Anyone have coordinates for somewhere to buy guns, for someone who is at Alpha sector only?

edit: actually the gdoc says

X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 IId
Avian Pirates (Left)

They sell guns right?

Yes. The level of the guns pirates sell is based on where they are, so that one's a good one because it's a lvl 10 planet (the max in alpha sector).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

something posted:

The only acceptable way to use pistols is to dual wield them and pretend you're Lara Croft or Neo :colbert:

The better way to do it is to have a microphone in one hand to sing the Indiana Jones theme while you gun everything down with a pistol in the other. :colbert:

• Locked thread