Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So a friend and I are considering making a mod.

I think I mentioned, but it kinda doesn't feel right that almost all building materials and decorations have to be looted and stolen. It could just be because this is beta, and they might have it planned so that later on you can craft them yourself, or it's possible that this is how it's meant to be -- but either way, you can't right now. So we were considering making a quick run through most of the building blocks and artifacts and seeing if we couldn't just make a bunch of recipes for them.
We're probably going to try tying common decorations to the race that fits them, so you can have a bunch of starter decorations to craft, and the same with blocks. For more complex decorations and advanced building blocks, we're not sure. Maybe you learn the recipe the first time you pick one up? Making schematics for them all might work but we have no idea how to add schematics to the loot tables and stuff. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I'm mainly mentioning it to see if anyone who's already dabbled in modding for Starbound knows how to add starter or on-pickup recipes. We can make the recipes easily enough, we just don't know how to trigger them to be 'learned'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I found a rainbow hat AND cape. The cape sparkles. :getin:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Vib Rib posted:

Anyway, I'm mainly mentioning it to see if anyone who's already dabbled in modding for Starbound knows how to add starter or on-pickup recipes. We can make the recipes easily enough, we just don't know how to trigger them to be 'learned'.

You might want to at least wait until the "full" beta's been released/is under way. The game's in stage 1 and content is purposely gated right now, but there's already been a couple of patches and a bunch of changes/additions. Would probably suck to put it a bunch of work and then find out that all that stuff's already in the game but in one of the locked tiers or something.

e: Slightly misread your post and it sounds like it isn't really that much work. Nvm then.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I can't find any more upgrades to my current equipment. Impervium's the highest level armor in the Beta but it doesn't help on TL38+ planets.

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2013

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Dumb question guys: how do you get multiplayer going in this game?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Operant posted:

Dumb question guys: how do you get multiplayer going in this game?

Run the Starbound launcher and click the start server button, then start the game, click multiplayer, and input your IP address (and give it to the people you want to play with, obviously).

e: Anyone have coordinates for a level 30 planet with pirates? (or anything that sells guns, if anything else does)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Verviticus posted:

Has anyone tried a server on a home PC? How well has it worked?

I found I could run a full terraria server pretty easily and I'm wondering if the load is about the same.

I've ran a server from my home PC since release for my TS group. We have 4 people on it at all times, although tonight will probably jump up to 6-7.

Just for the record it's an i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz, 16gb of ram, 120gb SSD, and not like it matters much but a 780 gtx.

On this note, if I mod my game to get platinum easier as posted on the past few pages, will everyone else need to make the change to their game files as well? Or just me since I'm hosting the game?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 7, 2013

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
My starter world definitely contains Floran Hell beneath the surface. A nice pleasant purple dirt with Eyelemon trees everywhere gave way to a barren brown dirt. That eventually changed into yellow sand and fine sand. It's not soil, but at least it feels good under the feet (according to inspection). That changed into cracked sand, dried dirt, and the first large sections of rock since the surface. The next four or five layers were all composed of rock. Three different, but all durable types of rock in each layer. Now I've broken into the fleshy core of Floran Hell. You can't eat this flesh.

At least I've grabbed around 400 silver ore in the last hour, and gold is starting to be pretty common.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I think I mentioned, but it kinda doesn't feel right that almost all building materials and decorations have to be looted and stolen. It could just be because this is beta, and they might have it planned so that later on you can craft them yourself, or it's possible that this is how it's meant to be -- but either way, you can't right now. So we were considering making a quick run through most of the building blocks and artifacts and seeing if we couldn't just make a bunch of recipes for them.
We're probably going to try tying common decorations to the race that fits them, so you can have a bunch of starter decorations to craft, and the same with blocks. For more complex decorations and advanced building blocks, we're not sure. Maybe you learn the recipe the first time you pick one up? Making schematics for them all might work but we have no idea how to add schematics to the loot tables and stuff. What do you guys think?

This is the exact thing I'm interested in seeing added to the game. More things to craft is always good.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Vib Rib posted:

Steal them once, scan them with the 3d scanner. And don't worry about having to ever pick it up again. Just need a mod to tell you what you have already scanned.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VDay posted:

You might want to at least wait until the "full" beta's been released/is under way. The game's in stage 1 and content is purposely gated right now, but there's already been a couple of patches and a bunch of changes/additions. Would probably suck to put it a bunch of work and then find out that all that stuff's already in the game but in one of the locked tiers or something.

e: Slightly misread your post and it sounds like it isn't really that much work. Nvm then.
Yeah, we're mostly just looking at things like letting Avians start with a Temple Brick recipe for like 1 sandstone and 1 stone for 4 bricks, or letting Florans craft those hanging trophy skins, or things like that. Just the inconsequential stuff you can currently only get via looting. The only thing we don't have a grasp on yet is how to make the player learn the recipes, but it can't be that hard.

joats posted:

Steal them once, scan them with the 3d scanner. And don't worry about having to ever pick it up again. Just need a mod to tell you what you have already scanned.
The entire point of a mod like this is:
1) Being able to craft the blocks, which can't be printed or scanned.
2) Not having to find them in the first place, so you can build a cozy little place without needing to tear another one down first.
3) Being able to create them with something other than a huge amount of pixels.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Found a lot of goodies (including two techs!) at x1989 y 2008 Alpha AI Dibain 6052 Id

Anyone have some hints on where to find silver?

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, we're mostly just looking at things like letting Avians start with a Temple Brick recipe for like 1 sandstone and 1 stone for 4 bricks, or letting Florans craft those hanging trophy skins, or things like that. Just the inconsequential stuff you can currently only get via looting. The only thing we don't have a grasp on yet is how to make the player learn the recipes, but it can't be that hard.

A blueprint creator, or more decoration vendors could go a long way as well.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Have they ever said anything about which phase they expect to be adding monster-taming in? I need to bring this guy back to my ship so we can be best space friends forever.

BSFFs :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 IId
Avian Pirates (Left)

'cept there is no IId, there's no moons for the second planet. Help I am not good with space navigation computer :saddowns:

edit: NM, doc is wrong, it's just II, no moon

victrix fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 7, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Any way to compare shields? I've got a pretty weird one from a rare big monster in a planet where I shouldn't be there yet because of it's threat level, and managed to cheese it because it for some reason didn't jump over a two blocks tall ledge.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

qnqnx posted:

Any way to compare shields? I've got a pretty weird one from a rare big monster in a planet where I shouldn't be there yet because of it's threat level, and managed to cheese it because it for some reason didn't jump over a two blocks tall ledge.

Not yet - shields have no tooltips. Betas are betas.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
I found some Avian Pirates on a TL 18 planet, which I think is the highest for Beta quadrant that has been posted here.

-11682880 -83276255
Beta Alpha Lyn 405 V (TL18 Snow planet)
Left of spawn

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

qnqnx posted:

Unfortunately, they haven't yet coded in the description or statistic viewing for shields, so the only way to know it's not good enough is to get shot and then die :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Anybody mentioned the huge multiplayer bug where sometimes if you party up, the leader's button won't let you warp to his ship? It replaces his name with my name and kicks me to my ship when I try to click it :(

Makes getting together and from place to place very hard.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!

Genocyber posted:

Run the Starbound launcher and click the start server button, then start the game, click multiplayer, and input your IP address (and give it to the people you want to play with, obviously).

e: Anyone have coordinates for a level 30 planet with pirates? (or anything that sells guns, if anything else does)

So, when I start my server it starts up (sorry for the length):

quote:

Info: Creating Star::Root with 1 assets sources and config file: '..\starbound.c
onfig'
Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets'
Info: Loading Star::Root...
Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'

Gives me some warnings and info:

quote:

Warn: Object apexcaptainschair does not have a price set
Warn: Object apexfuelhatch does not have a category set
Warn: Object apexfuelhatch does not have a price set
Warn: Object apexshiplocker does not have a price set
Warn: Object aviancaptainschair does not have a price set
Warn: Object avianfuelhatch does not have a category set
Warn: Object avianfuelhatch does not have a price set
Warn: Object avianshiplocker does not have a price set
Warn: Object decoyprincess does not have a price set
Warn: Object ironbeacon does not have a price set
Warn: Object robot does not have a price set
Warn: Object automatoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildautomatoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object avesmingoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildavesmingoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object bananaseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildbananaseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object beakseedseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildbeakseedseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object boltbulbseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildboltbulbseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object bonebooseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildbonebooseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object carrotseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildcarrotseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object chiliseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildchiliseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object coralcreepseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildcoralcreepseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object cornseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildcornseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object crystalplantseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildcrystalplantseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object currentcornseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildcurrentcornseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object diodiaseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wilddiodiaseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object dirturchinseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wilddirturchinseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object eggshootseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildeggshootseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object feathercrownseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildfeathercrownseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object flowerblue does not have a price set
Warn: Object flowerred does not have a price set
Warn: Object floweryellow does not have a price set
Warn: Object grapesseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildgrapesseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object kiwiseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildkiwiseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object mushroomseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object neonmelonseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildneonmelonseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object oculemonseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildoculemonseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object pearlpeaseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildpearlpeaseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object pineappleseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildpineappleseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object potatoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildpotatoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object pussplumseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildpussplumseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object reefpodseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildreefpodseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object riceseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildriceseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object sugarcaneseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildsugarcaneseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object tomatoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildtomatoseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object toxictopseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildtoxictopseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wartweedseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildwartweedseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wheatseed does not have a price set
Warn: Object wildwheatseed does not have a price set
Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for chestplant1, using default
Warn: Object florancaptainschair does not have a price set
Warn: Object floranfuelhatch does not have a category set
Warn: Object floranfuelhatch does not have a price set
Warn: Object floranshiplocker does not have a price set
Warn: Object 3dprinter does not have a price set
Warn: Object apexdungeonpod does not have a price set
Warn: Object aviandungeonpod does not have a price set
Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for barvent, using default
Warn: Object boosterflame does not have a price set
Warn: Object boosterflamehuman does not have a price set
Warn: Object cultistaltar does not have a price set
Warn: Object dungeonpod does not have a price set
Warn: Object florandungeonpod does not have a price set
Warn: Object frogstatue does not have a category set
Warn: Object glitchdungeonpod does not have a price set
Warn: Object randomfountain does not have a price set
Warn: Object smallboosterflame does not have a price set
Warn: Object statuspod does not have a price set
Warn: Object teacup1 does not have a category set
Warn: Object teapot1 does not have a category set
Warn: Object teleporter does not have a price set
Warn: Object tis1 does not have a price set
Warn: Object volcanopod does not have a price set
Warn: Object wflowerpot does not have a category set
Warn: Object woodencookingtable does not have a price set
Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for wreckvent, using default
Warn: Object glitchcaptainschair does not have a price set
Warn: Object glitchfuelhatch does not have a category set
Warn: Object glitchfuelhatch does not have a price set
Warn: Object glitchshiplocker does not have a price set
Warn: Object captainschair does not have a price set
Warn: Object fuelhatch does not have a category set
Warn: Object fuelhatch does not have a price set
Warn: Object shiplocker does not have a price set
Warn: Object techconsolehuman does not have a price set
Warn: Object hylotlcaptainschair does not have a price set
Warn: Object hylotlfuelhatch does not have a category set
Warn: Object hylotlfuelhatch does not have a price set
Warn: Object hylotlshiplocker does not have a price set
Warn: Object snowglobe1 does not have a category set
Warn: Object snowglobe2 does not have a category set
Info: Done loading Star::Root.
Info: Server version 'Beta v. Irritated Koala' '616' '418'
Info: Scanning for router for portforwarding
Info: Done scanning for router for portforwarding
Info: Creating world alpha:-29255679:-70883755:-14504314:7:1
Info: Spawn surface at (0, 426.5)
Info: Generating 1 dungeons
Info: Generating a dungeon
Info: Failed to place a dungeon at (1825, 419)
Info: Generating a dungeon
Info: Placing dungeon at (1495, 560)
Warn: Object wflowerpot does not have a category set
Warn: Perf: DungeonDefinition::buildDungeon millis: 325
Warn: Perf: DungeonGenerator::generate millis: 349
Warn: Object flowerred does not have a price set
Warn: Object statuspod does not have a price set
Warn: Object flowerblue does not have a price set
Warn: Perf: UniverseServer::createWorld millis: 3098
Warn: Perf: WorldServerThread::sync millis: 201
Warn: Perf: UniverseServer::doTriggeredStorage millis: 204
Warn: Perf: WorldServerThread::update.worldUpdate millis: 212
Warn: Perf: WorldServerThread::update millis: 213
Warn: Perf: UniverseServer::run.innerloop millis: 305

Then shuts down I guess?

quote:

Info: Shutting down world alpha:-29255679:-70883755:-14504314:7:1

Doesn't seem right. Anyway to fix this or what?

Dingo Unchained
May 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Found a lot of goodies (including two techs!) at x1989 y 2008 Alpha AI Dibain 6052 Id

Anyone have some hints on where to find silver?

Head to a moderately high desert / arid planet (7-10) and just dig down. It's pretty rare you find silver on the surface. It usually comes deeper underground or in chests. I usually just go on a suicide mining mission and mine all the way to the centre of the planet and take all the ores, and then jump in the lava to respawn in the ship. It's easy enough to get pixels later in the game, anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone got coords to an instrument in Alpha Sector?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dingo Unchained posted:

Head to a moderately high desert / arid planet (7-10) and just dig down. It's pretty rare you find silver on the surface. It usually comes deeper underground or in chests. I usually just go on a suicide mining mission and mine all the way to the centre of the planet and take all the ores, and then jump in the lava to respawn in the ship. It's easy enough to get pixels later in the game, anyway.

Alternatively, you can just quit to menu rather than killing yourself. Might help save ya few thousand pixels.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

demoneyespaul posted:

So, when I start my server it starts up (sorry for the length):

Gives me some warnings and info:

Then shuts down I guess?

Doesn't seem right. Anyway to fix this or what?

Did you actually start the game (as in, clicking Launch Starbound) after launching the server? Cause it should work fine. As long as the command prompt is up your server is up.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Feenix posted:

Anyone got coords to an instrument in Alpha Sector?

They're not fixed, however the avian sky pirate chests sometimes include them so look for those I s'pose. Use the google spreadsheet!

Dingo Unchained
May 28, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Alternatively, you can just quit to menu rather than killing yourself. Might help save ya few thousand pixels.

Well, poo poo. :doh:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've been typing in coordinates from the spreadsheet but I can't seem to actually go to those planets. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I feel like a big ol' dummy.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!

Genocyber posted:

Did you actually start the game (as in, clicking Launch Starbound) after launching the server? Cause it should work fine. As long as the command prompt is up your server is up.

I keep getting "Client connect failed! Error connecting to [my ip here] port '21025'.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I laughed. Thanks, RNG!

edit: this is probably a set weapon and nothing special. :(

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 7, 2013

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

demoneyespaul posted:

I keep getting "Client connect failed! Error connecting to [my ip here] port '21025'.

If you're playing on the same computer you're hosting on, try connecting to 127.0.0.1 instead of your external IP.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!

Sloane posted:

If you're playing on the same computer you're hosting on, try connecting to 127.0.0.1 instead of your external IP.

Well, now I feel foolish. That worked.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Heads up, huge patch scheduled for a few days from now, will wipe characters.
http://playstarbound.com/coming-in-a-few-days-sorry-for-the-delay/

Mostly a balance patch.
Here are the highlights:

Tiy posted:

*We’re going to reduce the number of planet levels from 100, to 10. (This is not a decrease in the amount of content, it’s simply a change to how leveling functions.)
*Monsters will no longer have a level. [They'll be easy/medium/hard ranked for that sector, at about the difficulties you'd find in say, TL 1-3, 4-6, 7-10.]
*Removing armor penetration. [Caused a lot of balance problems, was the reason why enemies with one level of difference could be one-shot or take a dozen hits, and why the bosses and new sectors usually stampeded over people.]
*You’ll be able to directly compare weapon DPS
*Armor will become easier to understand and will gain additional buffs, such as increasing player max health
*We’re also able to make sure that when you craft the best armor in a sector, you’ll be in good shape for the next sector.
*Items with a static amount of damage [throwing knives, javelins, e.g.] will be manually balanced and useful for the entire sector you find them on.
*Coming along with this update will be a bunch of bug fixes and some new content.
*Shortly after this update we’ll be adding a complete sector 4, delta sector.

I suspect this game will drastically improve the balance of the game and make the extra wait worth it.

Coming along with this update will be a bunch of bug fixes and some new content.

Shortly after this update we’ll be adding a complete sector 4, delta sector.
Looks like some huge overhauling for the better, I'd say.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verviticus posted:

Has anyone tried a server on a home PC? How well has it worked?

I found I could run a full terraria server pretty easily and I'm wondering if the load is about the same.

I hosted a server on my own PC last night and had 4-5 people connected for a time with nobody experiencing any lag. My machine is also a dinosaur with how old the parts are, but my internet is pretty good, so..

Dingo Unchained
May 28, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Mostly a balance patch.
Here are the highlights:

Ahhh nuts. Goodbye sweet progress; at least progression will be a lot easier to understand now.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Got a bug where iron ore never shows up in inventory after being mined :(

It was in my quickbar. Oops!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 7, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Vib Rib posted:

Mostly a balance patch.
Here are the highlights:

That all looks fantastic, can't wait. Although I'm bummed that I just found a bitchin keytar that I can play songs on that I'll be losing in a few days. For anyone with an instrument, I highly recommend getting Take on Me. The way it start off makes it sound like you're just kind of hitting random keys, and then suddenly it kicks off into the super familiar beginning of the song.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Stew Man Chew posted:

Anybody mentioned the huge multiplayer bug where sometimes if you party up, the leader's button won't let you warp to his ship? It replaces his name with my name and kicks me to my ship when I try to click it :(

Makes getting together and from place to place very hard.

A friend and I solved that by having whoever it was having the UI error exit and restart the game.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Juice Box Hero posted:

Got a bug where iron ore never shows up in inventory after being mined :(

Sorry to ask, but did you check your quick bar?

I always panic and think I lose stuff, but I just had an empty slot on the quickbar that it automatically filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I found an accordion...yes...oh yes.

• Locked thread