Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Just a note letting you know I solved my low framerate problem by making sure steam.exe was not running in compatibility mode. (it was running in Vista compatibility mode and greyed out) just make sure to click the box to change settings for all users.

Hope this helps someone else, makes the game much more enjoyable now my PC doesn't freak out at the hint of animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I am so hyped for this game. I wonder if it would be possible to have a mega-server running so you can be randomly exploring and find some other player's world that has been stripmined, flattened and is just a sprawling ape-man dystopia.

(I love the backstory for the Apex, Glitch, and Florans :allears:)

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Me too. I'm pumped for the phase that won't wipe your character. Until then I'll just kinda read the patch notes as they come. I never played Terraria so these mechanics are all pretty new to me.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I was going to wait until a later phase of the beta, but following this thread and seeing all the pretty pictures, I realise that that's just not going to happen.

Installing right now.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Holy Cheese posted:

Just a note letting you know I solved my low framerate problem by making sure steam.exe was not running in compatibility mode. (it was running in Vista compatibility mode and greyed out) just make sure to click the box to change settings for all users.

Hope this helps someone else, makes the game much more enjoyable now my PC doesn't freak out at the hint of animation.

I had this issue as well, followed these instructions. FPS lag gone completely!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

From gaf:

"I haven't seen it mentioned and perhaps I'm the only dumbass not to realize, but you can add books type items (not piles of books) to your codex for your reading pleasure. Some are gold colored with numbers on them.

Put in item slot, select and click.

I wonder if there are actual hints about in-game stuff in them as one of them specifically mentioned a space station over the planet but by the time I realized I could add to Codex that planet was long behind me. Many of them are fumy too :)"

Find space station!

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
I am running a smaller server for my friends ( 5 on at most). Is there a way or a mod to get it to display when someone dies / logs on/off? I looked in the Starbound forums Mod section but did not see anything. I was really surprised there was no discussion about this so I figured I might of missed an easy solution.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

victrix posted:

From gaf:

"I haven't seen it mentioned and perhaps I'm the only dumbass not to realize, but you can add books type items (not piles of books) to your codex for your reading pleasure. Some are gold colored with numbers on them.

Put in item slot, select and click.

I wonder if there are actual hints about in-game stuff in them as one of them specifically mentioned a space station over the planet but by the time I realized I could add to Codex that planet was long behind me. Many of them are fumy too :)"

Find space station!

I have found USCM Standing Orders and a journal by some guy named Greenfingers who knows about the Beast that destroyed Earth. They're a lot more serious in tone than the introductory codex entries.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I've seen it mentioned a few times that people are reading books/blueprints by putting them on their item bar. You don't actually need to do this, like Terraria, if you pick an item up and left click outside the inventory, it will use the item.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ok, so I've currently finished the first set of quests and I've crafted my way up to a gold pickaxe and some silver armor. I'm not sure what to do now beyond exploring (I still don't know what I need to do to refuel my ship) the only pressing question I have atm is how do I survive the underground heat?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Holy Cheese posted:

Thank you so much for this, now I can actually play the game!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dana Crysalis posted:

I've seen it mentioned a few times that people are reading books/blueprints by putting them on their item bar. You don't actually need to do this, like Terraria, if you pick an item up and left click outside the inventory, it will use the item.

Similarly, to place items you can move the inventory window, pick up the item from inventory and place it as you would something from your hotbar.

The books add codex entries which are great. Most Glitch castles have the journal entries of a Hyotl that is studying them ("The Prefix Problem") and a story about the first ever Glitch "king".

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Ok, so I've currently finished the first set of quests and I've crafted my way up to a gold pickaxe and some silver armor. I'm not sure what to do now beyond exploring (I still don't know what I need to do to refuel my ship) the only pressing question I have atm is how do I survive the underground heat?

Coal, wood.

(Those fuel the ship, not protect you from underground heat.)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Coal and wood fuel my futuristic spaceship. I should have known. Thanks.

Also is the distress beacon a multiplayer only item? Because it's been up awhile and hasn't done anything for me.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Also is the distress beacon a multiplayer only item? Because it's been up awhile and hasn't done anything for me.
It's supposed to summon the first boss. But you'll want the best gear you can get before taking it on.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Orange_Lazarus posted:

You have to activate it with E for it to work.

iamded
Apr 26, 2013

Smile!
I found a couple of logs on an Avian air-pirate ship that mention Hirake Corale. That was pretty awesome. Screencapping them with Steam's capture system doesn't work unfortunately as F12 closes the dialogue windows a split second before screencapping.

EDIT: Found a book by Hiraki Corale as well. You can read it if you want.

iamded fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 7, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So if you were an idiot and accidentally set Home to the wrong planet, is there a way to get back to a previous planet that isn't following the starmap dotted line backwards for hours?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Rather Dashing posted:

Why can't I find an .abc file for Green Onions? This is important.

No idea what it sounds like but here ya go!

http://www.thefatlute.eu/rapid/view_song/g/2400

ed: on further inspection you really need 2 people for this

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
How do i go back to my ship. I swear i read the OP.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Holy Cheese posted:

Suddenly the game is playable! Thanks.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been typing in coordinates from the spreadsheet but I can't seem to actually go to those planets. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I feel like a big ol' dummy.

first go to the galaxy map (all the way zoomed out) the coordinates will bring you to the star you want (right in the middle of the screen) navigate to the planet you want and voila.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dukeofdummies/screenshots/?appid=0&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

I will also miss my ship, and my hat, and also my poisonous 1 handed sword that is only good on 1/4 of the planets in gamma.

What I won't miss is that every single blueprint says it's a one handed weapon
shields clearly have stats but they aren't listed
one handed weapons are RARE
and While I love the planet levels, the difference between 11 and 19 is Craaaazy. having only three planet levels is the quickest way to do it, but also the most dull :(

EDIT:
look to the top right of the screen, there's a button that beams you up

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Just double-checking here, but I can buy this on Steam and it's basically the same as buying from the website? And I get early access right?

Seriously tempted to jump on this today.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My co-op partner died while we were out adventuring. While he was in the respawn animation, I warped back to his ship and played taps on a trumpet when he appeared on the teleport pad. He got mad.

The instruments are way too entertaining.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Killstick posted:

How do i go back to my ship. I swear i read the OP.

Be someplace with no roof over your head and it's the button on the right of the screen with a small circle and an arrow coming up from it. I think the shortcut key might be B?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

A shrubbery! posted:

Be someplace with no roof over your head and it's the button on the right of the screen with a small circle and an arrow coming up from it. I think the shortcut key might be B?

You also need to be on surface level or higher.

On the subject of the balance patch I hope they nerf teches slightly by giving them a higher power cost. I got the butterly dash earlier and I found myself pretty much flash farming planets without my feet touching the floor until I found a temple or research facility. Also maybe have shields drain energy on hit or have energy slowly diminish with shields up so you can't just hold it up and meander up to a guy toting bad guy and whack him.

Basically I don't want the game to get boring and end up like Terarria did for me where it was like "Ho-hum I'm basically a demi-god with my gear what now...?" and having each drop on a planet be an adventure fraught with risk and reward.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Vib Rib posted:

Heads up, huge patch scheduled for a few days from now, will wipe characters.
Welp, it was bound to happen. But I just got my Kiwi farm up and running :qq:

Performance chat

So, I know that the Beta isn't optimized at all, but I have some pretty bad graphic glitches when I want to travel to another planet. Like, using the starmap makes the game suddenly change the zoom(while still having the old value in the options), my screen goes black for a bit during the jump, and all kinds of fun crashes like this

I just wanna hear if there are other Nvidia users here who have the same troubles? I have the newest drivers, and my Steam was also never running in compatibility mode.

Creature chat

Did anyone see repeated creatures so far? I'm just asking because the amount of diferent species on my starter planet alone is nuts. There are like eight different ones above ground, and four that appear only at night. I already thought that was impressive, but then I went on a long spelunking trip. And well...

And I didn't even cap all of them :stare:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

WarLocke posted:

Just double-checking here, but I can buy this on Steam and it's basically the same as buying from the website? And I get early access right?

Yep, but you may as well buy straight from the devs - they get all of the money instead of a cut that way and there's no difference to you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Yes, it's early access on Steam. If you buy from the devs I think you still get the soundtrack download as well as a steam key though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Can someone advise me on a general initial build order to get myself more or less set up to go exploring/mining/collecting items?

At the minute i've got a furnace and crafted a stone axe/pick and decided to go wandering. My current quest mentioned something about iron ore, but if i wander too far from my starting point, i get mauled.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Creature chat

There are probably far too many combinations to see full repeats, but you frequently see repeated components. 3 of your examples have the same body, 3 have one particular tail, 2 have a another particular tail, etc.

Their randomised attack types are probably the most interesting part of the random creatures, I'd like to see some more attacks though since "charge" attacks are very common indeed. This might just be because we're on low tier planets though and players using swords means lots of enemies attacking with melee.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Can someone advise me on a general initial build order to get myself more or less set up to go exploring/mining/collecting items?

If you can't go too far across, dig down. Build an iron bow as soon as possible as it can murder most tier 1 (alpha sector) enemies.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is Diamond the best pickaxe in the beta?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Has anyone found any floran towns in the alpha sector? So far I've only found a few lonely huts scattered around different maps.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Fat_Cow posted:

Is Diamond the best pickaxe in the beta?

Best pickaxe that you can craft. Best to mine with bombs though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to plant trees to harvest?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Yeah they really need to tone down the techs. I immediately got the flower backpack that converts Sun into energy and the dash tech. I basically chain dash across a whole planet without my feet touching the ground and super quickly farm out buildings and tech huts. With some red stim packs, I can dash through the lava at the core of a map and simply hop out when I see goodies. This got me silly amounts of gold.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hope they get the character wipe done ASAP. I lose all will to play when I know everything I build is going to be gone in a few days.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

I have no idea what this person is talking about, there were no Florans in town.

Florans are brutes. While it's just flavour text, she is warning you her husband will wreck your poo poo if you do something stupid.
Imagine super violent cavemen hijacking spaceships and you got Florans. They are the best race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah they really need to tone down the techs. I immediately got the flower backpack that converts Sun into energy and the dash tech. I basically chain dash across a whole planet without my feet touching the ground and super quickly farm out buildings and tech huts. With some red stim packs, I can dash through the lava at the core of a map and simply hop out when I see goodies. This got me silly amounts of gold.

I heavily disagree. The Dash is great as is, as it makes traveling across a world not take forever.

Reason posted:

Hope they get the character wipe done ASAP. I lose all will to play when I know everything I build is going to be gone in a few days.

Maybe you should wait for the second stage of beta then? Just sayin'.

If it's just a character wipe, you can find an Alpha planet, put all your poo poo from one planet there, then come with the new character and it should be there. But from the update, it sounds like it'll be a complete wipe so I doubt that would work in this case.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread