Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reason posted:

I don't mind losing all my items and poo poo, but I was slowly working to turn my starting planet completely into a death star covered in metal, but if I lose my progress on that I just don't want to continue.

Since character/game wipes are likely to be pretty common, you shouldn't be making anything you're not prepared to lose until stage 2 of the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Rookersh posted:

So what ever happened to the Novakids? They going to be a later addition, or did that stretch goal just not get met.

Nomikos posted:

After beta.

Stage 3 of beta will have the Novakids and fossils and what not added in. Though Stage 3 is also pre-release status so you are kind of right in a sense. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How the heck do you play instruments without the stock canon in d? I must be missing something extremely simple.

You download abc files off the web and stick them in the Starbound/assets/songs folder. Then you start the game up and select them from the menu.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Ah I thought you could press keys on the keyboard and do it that way. Guess that's not in yet.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've dug so deep that I just hit an entire layer of magma, and everything I'm hitting above the magma is around level 5...6? But I can't even put a dent in the mothership. What do I do about the magma?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rei_ posted:

I've dug so deep that I just hit an entire layer of magma, and everything I'm hitting above the magma is around level 5...6? But I can't even put a dent in the mothership. What do I do about the magma?

Go to another planet. Throw trees into your ship to fuel it, and fly to a higher threat level planet.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Rei_ posted:

Nothing! There's nothing underneath it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Is there gamepad support? The game looks really interesting but I'd want to play it on the couch in big picture mode.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Not that I'm aware of. It'd be pretty awkward anyway as you'd have to control your character's movement and your mouse cursor with the sticks. Super tedious, especially for building anything or inventory management.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there scope to automate things a little?

Like, i'm all about making a bunch of farms and creating a self sustaining village whatever, but i'd love to be able to make little exploring/mining robots that go off to find stuff for me.

I know it would take a lot of the challenge out of the game, but being able to build your little robot (as well as give it armor/weapon upgrades too fend off the nasties) just seems pretty cool.

You could also leave it behind after you leave a planet to let it keep excavating it for you (or develop AI and convert the planet into a hostile biomechanoid place).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rei_ posted:

Go to another planet.

drat, the key thing Chucklefish needs to add is a small quest that says YO CHUCK SOME WOOD OR COAL INTO YOUR SHIP AND GO FLY INTO INFINITY, there are SO MANY PEOPLE that completely miss the ability to do this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Has anybody actually found platinum as on an ore in the ground? I've also dug to magma and still haven't found any.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Go to another planet.

drat, the key thing Chucklefish needs to add is a small quest that says YO CHUCK SOME WOOD OR COAL INTO YOUR SHIP AND GO FLY INTO INFINITY, there are SO MANY PEOPLE that completely miss the ability to do this.

It's because you start with no fuel, and are quickly instructed to make a distress beacon which you could easily think is to get you off the planet in the first place. I initially assumed that making the distress beacon was how I'd get some fuel so I could jet into space. I thought that being an FTL drive, it'd need something more advanced than wood or coal.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I really hope they make it way more clear that staying on the starter planet the entire time is a very bad idea because you won't find good weapons or tech on it and trying to fight the UFO boss with starter planet items is an almost impossible task.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Any one got coords for a alpha sector 8-11 AP gun dealer

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hagop posted:

Any one got coords for a alpha sector 8-11 AP gun dealer

X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 II

Should be TL10. I believe you go left of spawn.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm repeating my earlier cry for help with the server - it's just not working since that first patch.

I've got the ports forwarded on my router, windows firewall is allowing it through and the server itself is working, because I can connect to it using 127.0.0.1 as the ip. But nobody else can connect to it, they just get a "client connect failed" error, which I also get if I try connecting with my internet ip address instead of localhost. It was working fine on the first day of beta, so what has changed since then?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'll take a break until the wipe comes. Don't want to get burned out or see too much before the game even really gets started. Had that with a couple other early access games, and I really don't want to stumble into the same pit with this one.

Double gun salute for my space shack. We had good times :hfive:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Kyrosiris posted:

Go to the threat level 10 planet in the gdoc that has avian pirates and buy a bitchin' sniper rifle. That + the tier 1 racial armor (or the snow infantry armor) should be enough, and especially if you have the Dash tech.

Alright, I'm probably really dim here, but I'm entering the co-ordinates, making sure that I'm on Alpha and clicking Go. The ship goes through the whole lightspeed sequence and I come straight back to where I was, using no fuel. I'm pressing enter after each X and Y co-ordinate is entered and the map doesn't change.

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!

Slime posted:

It's because you start with no fuel, and are quickly instructed to make a distress beacon which you could easily think is to get you off the planet in the first place. I initially assumed that making the distress beacon was how I'd get some fuel so I could jet into space. I thought that being an FTL drive, it'd need something more advanced than wood or coal.

This. I spent 15-20 minutes plunking the saucer with arrows from my iron bow while shielded by a wall only to discover that the metalwork station wasn't going to provide a means to produce fuel.

In related news, shortly afterwards I unanchored the metalwork station while smashing some background walls and apparantly I had no room left in my inventory. I failed to notice right away that it was sitting there waiting to be picked up and now it's gone :( I don't like that items disappear like that. At least not so quickly. And smashing backgrounds shouldn't unanchor items either.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Zereth posted:

If you activate the gravity bubble early enough that you start going up again you can seem to not take fall damage. But just lowering your speed to where it looks like you shouldn't, nope.

Not always, I've taken fall damage in midair by using it while still several screens away from the ground after jumping from an asteroid.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I know people like it so far and it seems to be playable, but is it a must-have at this point or should I give it some time? For reference, I love Minecraft and played Terraria for about 5 minutes at a friend's house and it didn't grip me because I had no idea what to do.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

New Leaf posted:

I know people like it so far and it seems to be playable, but is it a must-have at this point or should I give it some time? For reference, I love Minecraft and played Terraria for about 5 minutes at a friend's house and it didn't grip me because I had no idea what to do.

I liked both and at this early stage I can honestly say this is much better. There's not really a 'point' as of yet but it has much more character than either of the two games you mentioned.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you enter in coordinates, zoom all the way out, make sure you have the right sector selected first. Then once you have finished entering the coordinates, there should be a star to click in the very center of the map. That is the star referencing. You should also include when posting coordinates which planet it is. Planets have names, but none of that matters. Closest to the star is I, second is II, third is III, etc. If there are multiple moons, you have a main planet, then lowercase letters. So everything you need to find a planet should look like this:
(x,y) IIIa (direction from spawn, what you find)
Maybe I've been teaching algebra too long.

Also, fall damage is dependent upon how long you are moving vertically downwards, NOT on how fast you hit the ground. Make a cliff that you can walk off and take no damage, but a small hop off will do damage. Then use gravity bubble or pulse jump to slow (but not arrest or reverse your fall) and while you hit the ground slower, you take more damage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nastyman posted:

Not always, I've taken fall damage in midair by using it while still several screens away from the ground after jumping from an asteroid.
Uh. Okay I haven't seen that one happen. :staredog:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rather Dashing posted:

Alright, I'm probably really dim here, but I'm entering the co-ordinates, making sure that I'm on Alpha and clicking Go. The ship goes through the whole lightspeed sequence and I come straight back to where I was, using no fuel. I'm pressing enter after each X and Y co-ordinate is entered and the map doesn't change.

You have to right-click back to the full star map before plugging in the coordinates, otherwise it will just try to go to coordinates within the system you're currently parked in.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

New Leaf posted:

Time. At least weeks. If you couldn't figure out Terraria, you'll be uninstalling this within an hour and regretting the purchase. The base mechanics are all here, and we love the possibilities they provide, but as a game it needs to spend a while in the oven to get the content and balance in right. If you look through the pages there is at least one person on every page lamenting how awful the tutorial is at setting the player up for success, and another lamenting how enemies can one-shot the player.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 7, 2013

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Found a level 40 planet with airship.

Go get bird guns.
:freep:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

New Leaf posted:

You should buy it - when it actually comes out. Not when it's in very early beta.

Right now actually trying to "play" this would be a mistake. You can dick around in it and have some fun, but committing to anything that you might get even a little attached to would be a huge mistake.

The game is going to have multiple huge balance and content changes before release.

People are already whining about the upcoming balance change to the world levels and how weapon damage is - even though both are clearly broken in the current form.

Also, I like this game a LOT better than Terraria for building if that's your thing. Placing blocks is SO much easier and faster in Starbound that there is no comparison. I hated building in Terraria, it was just too tedious. Here the placement works like a paint brush basically. If you ever used TEdit (The stand alone Terraria Editor), building in-game in Starbound feels JUST as efficient as firing up TEdit and building there. This also goes for things like farming which was was fairly tedious in Terraria.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 7, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

People are already whining about the upcoming balance change to the world levels and how weapon damage is - even though both are clearly broken in the current form.

People ("gamers" especially) will whine about literally everything.

New Leaf posted:

I'd say get the game now. If you like Minecraft I don't see why you wouldn't like this since Minecraft has even less direction/unique stuff to do.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

Yeah, give it a shot. Just remember that although you get 'missions' they are not necessary in the least, the only actually required thing for progress is building the boss-summoning items but I've been playing for about 20 hours so far just exploring, building and murdering at Tier 1. :D

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I wish I could spend a shitload of pixels and "template" my house so I can teleport it down every time I go to a new world that I want to spend an extended amount of time on. Smooth out the land, contact my ship and there's a flash of light and boom there's my base of operations with crafting stations on the ground floor, a bed on the second.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

rhoga posted:

Found a level 40 planet with airship.

Go get bird guns.
:freep:

40739463 -20558957

Gamma Gienah Corvi 815 II

For another place, sucks though that you can only buy lvl 40 guns from them and killing them nets you such amazing stuff as bananas.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

It wouldn't surprise me if that's something that will turn up eventually. Drag a selection box around whatever you want to template, your ship scans it and, at a significant pixel cost, you can drop it on new worlds.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Spelunking is fun. :v:

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Why is there no "tell me what the gently caress I'm supposed to do" part in the OP? Maybe you guys have all been following this game for months but I literally don't understand what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing; I just go down to the planet and get killed a bunch. There's pretty much 0 in the way of tutorial.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Does anyone know what threat levels a planet has to be for platinum and titanium to start showing up?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Reiley posted:

You have to right-click back to the full star map before plugging in the coordinates, otherwise it will just try to go to coordinates within the system you're currently parked in.

That did it (and was common sense), thanks. Now I find that I'm getting owned by the wildlife while climbing up to the airship :(

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't mind if the hundreds of different dirt, sand, moondust, cobblestone, poo poo and obsidian blocks all got abstracted down into maybe a few levels of "construction materials" or something. Maybe digging up dirt and sand just increases your count of light matter. Then when you want to build a sick fortress the matter manipulator has a dropdown list with different materials you've learned. They clearly saw it as a problem already what with an entire second inventory for building supplies. After a dozen planets you've just got half stacks of cobblestone that all look nearly the same but don't fit together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Redkist posted:

Why is there no "tell me what the gently caress I'm supposed to do" part in the OP? Maybe you guys have all been following this game for months but I literally don't understand what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing; I just go down to the planet and get killed a bunch. There's pretty much 0 in the way of tutorial.

Getting started:
Important controls - C is tools-free basic crafting. Press E or Mouse3 on a crafting tool (workbench, anvil etc) to craft using that tool. Hold shift to place and destroy single blocks instead of 3x3s. The circle and upwards arrow icon on the right is to teleport back to your ship.

Beginner guide
1. Use the Matter Manipulator to chop down a tree and mine out enough cobblestone to make a crafting table and stone pickaxe.
2. Use the pickaxe to mine cobblestone faster, then make a stone axe to chop trees faster.
3. Use the axe to chop down some hanging vines to get Plant Matter. Use this and some more wood to craft a bow.
4. Build a campfire and hunt some meat. Stockpile a little so you don't need to hunt some later. Enemies will drop meat when killed with either normal weapons or the bow, but there's a greater chance with the bow. (70% rather than 50%)
5. That's it, start exploring. Find ore, upgrade your tools and armour.
6. When you're done, load up your ship with fuel (the cabinet closest to the pilot's seat) with coal or unprocessed wood and head out to a different planet. Don't forget to bring your tools!

• Locked thread