Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sansuki
May 17, 2003

I used the bubble tech to fly into space and found asteroids! I died of cold, however. Does anyone have the warmest set of clothes, and what are they? I have the snow gear already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My biggest issue with this game right now has seriously got to be how time consuming mining is and how difficult it is to tell when monsters are attacking.

Zoe posted:

Cool let's argue about dirt for 20 pages again

I can't believe these loving rear end in a top hat goons giving feedback about a game that's in open beta. I mean what the gently caress! Seriously!?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

sansuki posted:

I used the bubble tech to fly into space and found asteroids! I died of cold, however. Does anyone have the warmest set of clothes, and what are they? I have the snow gear already.

Snow gear is the warmest for a very long time.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

While we're talking about things we want..

I hope those big spinning space crates you find on planets that usually just explode or poison you get changed into something better than a short buff at best. Ideally I hope finding one increases your health/energy a bit.

[e] Also the pixels in the small crates you break should scale up to the TL. There's no reason a level 20 planet should be giving up 6 gold per bin.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrManiac posted:

While we're talking about things we want..

I hope those big spinning space crates you find on planets that usually just explode or poison you get changed into something better than a short buff at best. Ideally I hope finding one increases your health/energy a bit.
Also, exploding in a shower of pixelgold no matter whether it's a deathtrap or a short buff.

More poo poo for Tiyuri and company to consider:

-Making pickaxes in the field. There's no reason why a matter manipulator couldn't make one in a jiffy.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 8, 2013

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Those are currently doing damage that scales with Threat Level! That is why they instagib people

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, I like that too. And it takes one second to click on a slot, then on another slot. If having pink sand or rainbow dirt in your inventory bugs you, trash it.
I seriously can't believe people are suggesting we need a smaller inventory or less options over this. My options shouldn't be cut down because someone else can't take less than a minute to manage their inventory every two hours.

I don't think anyone wants to cut down options, just cut down on clutter. The original suggestion merely gave all those blocks the same "point" value and suggested an item which would eat them, have a charge and allow you to pick any block you have found and start building that block from the "point" pool you have collected. Clearly this is a ton of work however, so who knows if it will ever happen. Most people are fine with the 200 different kinds of dirt, just not the inventory clutter it creates. More importantly it can be super hard to build with the correct colour of dirt when you only have 200 of it instead of the 3000 you need and those 20000 other dirt blocks won't look right when used side by side.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Also, exploding in a shower of pixelgold no matter whether it's a deathtrap or a short buff.

More poo poo for Tiyuri and company to consider:

-Making pickaxes in the field. There's no reason why a matter manipulator couldn't make one in a jiffy.

There's almost no reason you would need to do this, since you can repair one on the fly with the ore you're digging up. The only times you need to actually make a new pick is when you're upgrading it, which happens like 5 times total.

I always keep a stack of copper ore on hand for pick repairs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

something posted:

There's almost no reason you would need to do this, since you can repair one on the fly with the ore you're digging up. The only times you need to actually make a new pick is when you're upgrading it, which happens like 5 times total.

I always keep a stack of copper ore on hand for pick repairs.
But I really want that gold pickaxe now! :saddowns:

Also, rerolling a lot just because the current midgame is shittily balanced has a lot to do with my wanting that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
To contribute to Dirt Drama, if clicking to convert dirt/stone/sand/whatever to the single type is too tedious or if throwing away dirt and stone and sand is too tedious, maybe there should be 'combine all natural materials' and 'trash all natural materials' button in the inventory or something. A ridiculous excess of freedom and choices is kind of a big selling point of this game, no point in potentially removing a ton of options when you can add a really simple one and keep both sides happy.

e: Christ this thread moves fast

e2:

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I can't believe these loving rear end in a top hat goons giving feedback about a game that's in open beta. I mean what the gently caress! Seriously!?

My point was more that we already had this exact same discussion to an exhaustive extent. And now we're having it again! And everyone is probably going to make all the exact same points again with no one agreeing on anything! Yay!

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zoe posted:

To contribute to Dirt Drama, if clicking to convert dirt/stone/sand/whatever to the single type is too tedious or if throwing away dirt and stone and sand is too tedious, maybe there should be 'combine all natural materials' and 'trash all natural materials' button in the inventory or something. A ridiculous excess of freedom and choices is kind of a big selling point of this game, no point in potentially removing a ton of options when you can add a really simple one and keep both sides happy.
A checkbox to make it automatic is a must so all of the dirt I'll never need will be stacked nicely as grey carbon nanomatter.

Also, freedom doesn't necessarily imply needless complexity, which actually makes the game a lot more restrictive (see: about-to-be-shitcanned armor system)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

But I really want that gold pickaxe now! :saddowns:

Also, rerolling a lot just because the current midgame is shittily balanced has a lot to do with my wanting that.

You can just make a crafting table and then a furnace and anvil to upgrade your pickaxe, the materials are piss-easy to get a ton of.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

Or just add a dirt painter tool.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Right now, I want Cold and Hunger to be more effective beyond mild annoyances. Especially Cold, which is more obnoxious than dangerous if you do campfire skipping.

What I'd suggest is instead temperature starts in the middle, and is adjusted according to your gear. Temperature-resistant gear would have you start half way to the right, no gear or thin clothing would start you to the middle-left. Extremely hot planets will push you further to the right and vice versa for snow planets. So wearing winter gear to a volcanic planet means you'll bake alive.

Instead of just doing a lot of damage straight up, it should do damage based on how far to the left or right the bar is and also debuff you. Instead of it just being a bar you want to constantly keep filled, you may have to trek through a snow planet where you fight slower and can't jump as high for example.

Finally I'd hope additional weather conditions for planets could require more gear to mitigate. Sandstorms could make you blind without proper protection, snowstorms would be incredibly deadly and so forth. Stuff that makes planets feel more varied and alive.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I like that idea, just have a condense button for if you don't care (which I think will be the great majority of people), and then if you do care you can file away all of your dirt in lockers on your ship.

e: also does anybody feel like plutonium and uranium should give more than 4/8 logs worth of fuel? it seems really strange, given how far into the game it is until you start seeing them and even then in pretty small amounts.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 8, 2013

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

FZeroRacer posted:

Right now, I want Cold and Hunger to be more effective beyond mild annoyances. Especially Cold, which is more obnoxious than dangerous if you do campfire skipping.

What I'd suggest is instead temperature starts in the middle, and is adjusted according to your gear. Temperature-resistant gear would have you start half way to the right, no gear or thin clothing would start you to the middle-left. Extremely hot planets will push you further to the right and vice versa for snow planets. So wearing winter gear to a volcanic planet means you'll bake alive.

Instead of just doing a lot of damage straight up, it should do damage based on how far to the left or right the bar is and also debuff you. Instead of it just being a bar you want to constantly keep filled, you may have to trek through a snow planet where you fight slower and can't jump as high for example.

Finally I'd hope additional weather conditions for planets could require more gear to mitigate. Sandstorms could make you blind without proper protection, snowstorms would be incredibly deadly and so forth. Stuff that makes planets feel more varied and alive.

I like everything about this. Right now the only kind of environment that's hard to survive is at the edge of space. I want to gradually upon up more extreme locales as I explore!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You can probably trace the problem to people who want the game to be exactly or most like Terraria when the point of a lot of things is to remove a lot of the annoyance that game has.

They probably feel the same way about this game and Terraria as I did about Gyromancer and Puzzle Quest. I loved Puzzle Quest and wanted to like Gyromancer because it was similar, but my thought was always "Every way this is different from Puzzle Quest, it's worse than Puzzle Quest."

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AndroidHub posted:

e: also does anybody feel like plutonium and uranium should give more than 4/8 logs worth of fuel? it seems really strange, given how far into the game it is until you start seeing them and even then in pretty small amounts.
Considering how rare it is, I was surprised to see that I couldn't use the rods for fuel, and the ore didn't do something like 25-50 fuel per rock.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

FZeroRacer posted:

Didn't the devs say that actual heat wasn't considered for some unexplained reason?
Either way, I hope your ideas get implemented.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mining for fuel in general is incredibly tedious, and especially so when you need lots of coal to make steel/durasteel. I really, really want a way to never have to find fuel because it is lovely and terrible.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
It'd help if the costs for travelling were distance based. It seems weird that hopping cross sector costs the same as going to the system right beside the one I'm currently in.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Here's my idea. You can make dirt various colors, after you've discovered said colored dirt. Find a blue planet? You dig up some blue dirt and detect the pigment in it, and you can just from then on automatically alter them on a molecular level or some BS.

Also something to give planets more variety, depending on the core/size of the planet, alter the gravity. Smaller planets have much lighter gravity. Taller trees, large skyscrapers instead of the more sprawling dungeons/towns. Perhaps not so many ores though, because without that extra weight and pressure, minerals wouldn't be compacted into proper ore veins.

Large planets meanwhile would have a lot more gravity. Few trees, but a fuckton of different ores.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gathering fuel is interesting exactly once before it just becomes the game telling you to go clear cut another loving forest planet before you can go back to doing something that might be fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Do you really want more busywork in your busywork game? More power to you, but most people aren't much for grognarding when they want to be interior decorators or fortress builders, and I loot because I want to make more powerful things, not for the sake of looting.
Are you serious right now? People are saying inventory should be cut down because they can't spend literally seconds per hour tossing stuff they're not going to use in the trash. I disagree and suddenly I'm some obsessive grognard? I don't want everyone's options limited because a few people can't do the absolute bare minimum of inventory management.

Cerepol posted:

I don't think anyone wants to cut down options, just cut down on clutter.

Paradoxish posted:

It's the management (ie, dumping into the trash) of common materials that's annoying. I'd actually prefer a smaller inventory on the whole.
Some people are.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't mind the feedback, but i'm curious if any goons posting feedback here actually post it on the Starbound forums where devs are most likely to read it instead of thinking they are coming here while working daily on the game and reading the Starbound forums for feedback and not wasting their time here to see what the SA goons are saying about the game.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So is the best plan at the moment to just go balls-out and charge forward in tiers as fast as possible? Because I've got steel armor/weapons pretty soon after killing the first boss and all of tier 2 seems pretty pointless. So far I've explored a forest, moon, and desert all between 15-19. Spelunking still takes forever, ores don't seem to be particularly more plentiful, and I have yet to see platinum.

Come to think of it, I have no idea how to trigger the tier 2 boss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Squeegy posted:

This was proposed. Tiy came in asking for advice on the hundreds of dirt colors. Most people said they wanted it to stay the same.

I still favor separate dirt, if you want a material you should either go find it, or pay a bunch of pixels to replicate it.

What I don't like is that I end up with shittons of crap I don't care about in the process of just getting around the place. It'd be nice if you could have some options about picking up useless crap, or combining poo poo into default dirt/sand/stone. Or some sort of magic thing that whenever you beam back to your ship, will automatically empty out your inventory of building crap and store it in a neat, categorised, extremely large storage bay on your ship. Combined with a piece of furniture you can take with you to let you remotely access that inventory from your planets.

Basically there's nothing wrong with the mechanic of having lots of poo poo to collect, the issue is with the game giving you very limited tools to manage that collection and making it mandatory by having you pick up every single thing automatically. Some better automation and sorting would help a lot with managing the inventory clutter.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 8, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I want to build a still and make biofuel out of plant fiber and fruit. Also alcohol.

The Novakids should start with this tech automatically.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Are you serious right now? People are saying inventory should be cut down because they can't spend literally seconds per hour tossing stuff they're not going to use in the trash. I disagree and suddenly I'm some obsessive grognard? I don't want everyone's options limited because a few people can't do the absolute bare minimum of inventory management.
That is pretty much it, yeah. You're discounting the massive tweaks to QOL this game has already over Terraria. Paring it down or having an option to bypass it and shape matter into what you want and have discovered would be neat.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I know that they aren't all exactly regulars on these forums, but I do believe at least one actually is (Rho), and several others have popped in once in a while.

MetalMan
Oct 22, 2004

crowfeathers posted:

Mining for fuel in general is incredibly tedious, and especially so when you need lots of coal to make steel/durasteel. I really, really want a way to never have to find fuel because it is lovely and terrible.

Would be cool to have craftable engine upgrades with each tier that increase fuel efficiency, capacity, and reducing travel time. Someone mod this in now! Although I'm guessing the travel time is for loading purposes.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

E-Tank posted:

Also something to give planets more variety, depending on the core/size of the planet, alter the gravity. Smaller planets have much lighter gravity. Taller trees, large skyscrapers instead of the more sprawling dungeons/towns. Perhaps not so many ores though, because without that extra weight and pressure, minerals wouldn't be compacted into proper ore veins.

Large planets meanwhile would have a lot more gravity. Few trees, but a fuckton of different ores.

How about desert planets that are so hot you can't stand in a non-shady area for too long or you take damage during the day(a reverse of the freezing mechanic).

I think we can also use a bunch of different weather effects other than rain for atmosphere. I can see hurricanes, fog,blizzards, acid rain, etc.

[e] This game also really needs a 'sort all this poo poo' button

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DrManiac posted:

I think we can also use a bunch of different weather effects other than rain for atmosphere. I can see hurricanes, fog,blizzards, acid rain, etc.

Meteorites.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I've always felt like games that have a ton of lootables, like Terraria and starbound, would benefits from a menu in options or something to have a "do not pick up list". Sick of picking up random seeds? Deselect it from the menu and seeds will just stay on the ground. This coudl extend to dirt, ores, weapons of certain qualities, etc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Meteorites.
Hope you liked that huge castle you built on the surface, a meteor storm is coming! :madmax:

Soral
May 30, 2009

It's a total bummer that I can't just craft all the special blocks that dungeons are made out of. I really want to make a cool looking base but it takes like 4 years to mine out temple blocks or castle blocks or whatever other unique blocks I might want to build with, even with a diamond pickaxe. What I'd really like to see is the option to drop like 2000 pixels into the 3D printer and pull out a full stack of a block of my choice to play legos with

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Meteorites.

Totally

Having a meteor crash into and destroy your poo poo was super cool in terraria. I imagine it will much way cooler if you can actually see it happen!

Some kind of planet cracker weapon that cut the land to the core would also be pretty cool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Hope you liked that huge castle you built on the surface, a meteor storm is coming! :madmax:

I was thinking of it being a planet hazard, as in 'this planet gets hit by meteors a lot, just sayin' when you go to land on it.

But with the variable hardness of materials and their propensity to 'heal' after being left alone, you actually probably could make a pretty good mechanic around building structures strong enough to withstand meteor storms on such planets.

Also if the meteors deposited small amounts of dirt and nuggets of ore, while being not strong enough to break through hard rock, a suitable set of generation rules would allow such a world to have a constantly shifting sea of loose dirt and sand on the surface, with ore nuggets constantly respawning as more fall from space, while underground is relatively safe and secure, with players able to build a concrete bunker or two on the surface as long as it's grounded in the bedrock. The inhospitable environment is offset by the constant abundance of ores on the surface.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 8, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A game of this genre is bound to involve inventory management. As far removed as this may be from Minecraft or even Terraria the genre is at its core largely about gathering resources and putting them to use. Guns, ore, bricks, whatever the case, it's about getting more stuff and using it to fight or build. Resource management and scarcity are important. And a game like this is inherently going to require occasionally going through the stuff you own. Throwing away dirt, stone, and sand from the last planet you visited during a forced-idle period anyway is so little effort it's practically subconscious.
If you want to reduce materials to a universal stackable form, turn your dirt to packed dirt, sand to glass, sandstone and cobblestone to bricks. If you don't care at all, toss it. It takes literally two clicks.

A "never pick up"/"trash on loot" flag for something would be fine. A universal condenser to a generic singular type of brown dirt, gray stone, and yellow sand would be fine. All I'm against is removing the options for other people.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That is pretty much it, yeah. You're discounting the massive tweaks to QOL this game has already over Terraria. Paring it down or having an option to bypass it and shape matter into what you want and have discovered would be neat.
Limiting my options because you're lazy is not an improvement quality of life. :colbert:

Anyway this is the last I'm going to rant about it. Everyone's clearly had enough dirt talk from me by now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It'd give Moons a bit more danger instead of just being ore-treasure island planetoids, certainly.

It probably would be a good idea if the client had some in game bug report function, too, so you didn't have to find how to report a bug in your beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Limiting my options because you're lazy is not an improvement quality of life. :colbert:
Which is why I also find the auto-generate grey carbon nanomatter solution acceptable. :v:

• Locked thread