Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Germ posted:

Very nicely stated, JackMann.

Agreed. People tend to look at copyright and trademark situations as "Look what those assholes at Company X did to these little guys! What a bunch of douchebags!" They don't realize that if a company is not actively protecting their IP, they stand a very high risk of losing it and the protection that a customer gets with that mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
It requires quite a bit more than simply not pursuing every single unauthorized use of a trademark to lose it - it is far more common to lose a trademark to genericide, like Kleenex or or zipper, rather than pervasive unathorized use of a non-abandoned trademark.

Is there any way of restricting kickstarters to a region? If Gamezone's Spanish trademark is legitimate, there should be nothing preventing them from marketing their game and selling it in Spain, although I'll admit I'm not an expert on international trademark disputes at all.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I don't think you can run a kickstarter from Spain.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Phoon posted:

I don't think you can run a kickstarter from Spain.

Not yet. They were using a Canadian partner

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The campaign was so wildly crafted to skirt around US law that any US court that wound up with the case would obviously see through the charade (and its also easy to find jurisdiction)

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Plus given all the assorted EU trade agreements the odds of it flying despite them only having the license in Spain were close to nil; they clearly intended on selling it to other countries where they didn't have the rights.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, FedEx tried to deliver my Deadzone stuff to the wrong address, now I have to go to the distribution site to pick it up in an hour or so.

However I got my Basius, and Happy Seppuku baseing imprint molds last week, and took some pictures!

Basius, I was kinda surprised that they cast them in straight up resin, its kinda nice though as they shouldn't ever wear out.

Happy Seppuku, lots of detail, I look forward to testing them out.

Between the two sets I should never have to buy another pre-detailed base again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those Happy Seppuku ones look much better in their finished form, I hope you post how they turn out.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

LumberingTroll posted:

So, FedEx tried to deliver my Deadzone stuff to the wrong address, now I have to go to the distribution site to pick it up in an hour or so.

Sucks. But at least yours is close - I keep checking the Fedex update on mine and it doesn't even look like they have picked it up from Mantic yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My Basius stuff arrived about 5 minutes ago, and it all seems pretty good. Looks like you have all the ones I do bar wooden decking, and a few more I don't have. Between Solaco Aftermath, Baker Street Infinity AD, Mountains, Wooden decking and Baker Street 1825 AD I think I've got all my bases covered :c00l:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Deadzone has arrived!

Fresh from the box and un-organized

Sorted

Note that these have only been addons.

and now the contents of one of the base boxes.

All-in-all not too bad, though I am missing 13 of the terrain sprues, and I haven't gone through the bags of figures yet.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zhent posted:

Sucks. But at least yours is close - I keep checking the Fedex update on mine and it doesn't even look like they have picked it up from Mantic yet.

My tracking never updated at all and it was delivered this morning.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

A day later and Burning Suns has posted another update saying that he's going to stop cocking around with pledge levels and just give people what they asked for. Which is a huge relief

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

However I got my Basius, and Happy Seppuku baseing imprint molds last week, and took some pictures!

Would you kindly upload a big picture of just the Happy Seppuku Flagstone stamp?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Argent: The Consortium, which is being published by the people who made BattleCON: Devastation of Indines, put out a preview rulebook for their game. Unfortunately, it is one of those games that mostly relies on variant powers and whatnot, so it's hard to gauge whether the game is any good, but early buzz from BGGCon has been positive. But so is most things from BGG, so it's hard to tell whether it is actually any good.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I was excited to find a shipping notice from Mantic. Then I realized that it was for the Crazy Christmas box I ordered, and not my Deadzone reward. Alas.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

http://www.verkami.com/projects/7464-heroquest-25th-anniversary

Heroquest-kickstarter is back in business. Now in spanish kickstarting site.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
That is the definition of chutzpah

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Why don't they just change the name?

Unless they're trying to market the game by squeezing nostalgia for somebody else's produc-

oh i get it now

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

jammu posted:

http://www.verkami.com/projects/7464-heroquest-25th-anniversary

Heroquest-kickstarter is back in business. Now in spanish kickstarting site.

I'm getting a 404 page, so maybe not so much?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Baron Snow posted:

Same here, I'm guessing at this point that they certainly do not have the rights to be making any kind of new game. At least not one called Heroquest 25th anniversary.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, that was fast.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Baron Snow posted:

Too bad. It was up about 5-6 hours. Someone had hurry to shut it down, as that happened Sunday 5am local spanish time.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

LumberingTroll posted:

Deadzone has arrived!

All-in-all not too bad, though I am missing 13 of the terrain sprues, and I haven't gone through the bags of figures yet.

Jesus, that's a tremendous amount of stuff, what specifically did you get? I'm just trying to get a hold on how much my Strike Team order is relative to that.

My FedEx tracking says it is still stuck in Britain, sadly.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Anyone need legally distinct from the cast of the Walking Dead miniatures?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Oh, excellent! Here I was, thinking to myself, "You know what the world really needs? ANOTHER goddamn zombie miniature kickstarter." My prayers have been answered.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Any hopes of getting a Bicycle Card kickstarter soon?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, if you like zombie rage face hentai for the royalty.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
But where's the zombie Serenity crew?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Adam Kensai posted:

Jesus, that's a tremendous amount of stuff, what specifically did you get? I'm just trying to get a hold on how much my Strike Team order is relative to that.

My FedEx tracking says it is still stuck in Britain, sadly.

The last image is what you can expect, I got the 3 strike team bundle and a bunch of terrain, which is where all the loose sprues come from.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Costume Fairy Adventures is down to its final hours. It's funded, but still about $1,000 from its goon-penned first stretch goal. Ewen Cluney! He writes cute stuff!

Also, this section of the most recent Ryuutama update made me smile:

quote:

Okada/Cafe Daydream lamented that they wish they had better music to play over the speakers (they usually cycle instrumental versions of Greensleeves) over the cafe speakers on Western Gaming Nights

It is a catchy song.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Where Art Thou, Romeo? 6th TG KS project he has successfully funded, and it's only a dollar.

1/3 the cost of CoinAge and 5 times the cards, what a deal!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Paper Kaiju posted:

Oh, excellent! Here I was, thinking to myself, "You know what the world really needs? ANOTHER goddamn zombie miniature kickstarter." My prayers have been answered.

I feel so unbelievably sad. I too immediately rolled my eyes at yet another Zombie themed thing, but then started going 'whoo' at the scenery pieces.

I may have spent money on buying tiny wheely bins and skips.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My copy of The Agents arrived this morning (I'm in the UK), apparently shipped from Israel, which was slightly puzzling at first.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My copy of The Agents arrived this morning (I'm in the UK), apparently shipped from Israel, which was slightly puzzling at first.
I received mine a few days ago and was pretty disappointed at the quality of the cards. They're kind of thin (which really doesn't bother me that much) but the cutting process left little "flashing"(?) on the sides and tops of the cards like you get when you punch out cardboard components for a game. I've got $4 card sets from ArtsCow that don't have those...

People are saying that "you can just sand the decks down and remove that" but I shouldn't have to do that for the price I paid for the KS. I guess I could count myself lucky that I wasn't one of the many who received a damaged set due to poor packaging.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, that's on mine too. The cards are made of plastic or something, I think? Which is weird.

I'm not hugely bothered by it, to be fair.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally got my shipping notification from Deadzone. 10.8 pounds, and it ships out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see it before Christmas.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

So I definitely got screwed out of an Enforcers Faction Booster on Deadzone that I chose/paid for. Fantastic.

Not sure if it's the right place but I sent a message to Mantic via the Deadzone kickstarter.

Edit: Wow looks like it's happened to a LOT of people.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 12, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fenarisk posted:

So I definitely got screwed out of an Enforcers Faction Booster on Deadzone that I chose/paid for. Fantastic.

Not sure if it's the right place but I sent a message to Mantic via the Deadzone kickstarter.

There's a form on their website to fill out for anything missing from your package iirc

In theory mine will arrive on Monday by the end of Tuesday already on its way via Germany, and I plan to do a full inventory just to be sure. What exactly is missing, is it something that you're actually going to get in wave 2 when they sort the hard plastic sprues?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Fenarisk posted:

The faction booster, or the starter? The boosters haven't gone out yet due to getting the tooling right.

• Locked thread