Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Have the ultimate fuel tech be a Fusion Reactor you can throw any matter into to get fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Is there a good guide to getting multiplayer working? A buddy and I are trying to get it going but when you launch a server the DOS box just hangs and shuts down.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Varsity posted:

There is a little symbol that isn't Energy or Defense, and usually racial armor gives you bigger bonuses to that third symbol.

The third symbol, the sun symbol, is cold protection. The iron racial stuff is warmer than silver gear in tier 1. Can't remember if that holds true for other tiers. That's certainly not what he was referencing, though.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

lilspooky posted:

Is there a good guide to getting multiplayer working? A buddy and I are trying to get it going but when you launch a server the DOS box just hangs and shuts down.

I got mine working through this Reddit post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1s4l04/servers_and_you_getting_started_guide/

Biggest blockade was port forwarding, make sure its correct and using your computer's actual IP in your router settings.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Vib Rib posted:

A game of this genre is bound to involve inventory management. As far removed as this may be from Minecraft or even Terraria the genre is at its core largely about gathering resources and putting them to use. Guns, ore, bricks, whatever the case, it's about getting more stuff and using it to fight or build. Resource management and scarcity are important. And a game like this is inherently going to require occasionally going through the stuff you own. Throwing away dirt, stone, and sand from the last planet you visited during a forced-idle period anyway is so little effort it's practically subconscious.
If you want to reduce materials to a universal stackable form, turn your dirt to packed dirt, sand to glass, sandstone and cobblestone to bricks. If you don't care at all, toss it. It takes literally two clicks.

Yeah it's totally the greatest thing in the world to have to have to set up a giant storage locker of dozens of chests if I want to have access to a bunch of different cosmetic-only building blocks I've found for various projects, instead of a convenient system to handle replicating or slotless-storing cosmetic building blocks. The proposal certainly has no already existing in-game parallel like some sort of 3d printer for decorative items or anything.

You're being kinda willfully obtuse here, dude. You're purposely ignoring the fact that people are asking for something that allows you to actually have the resources you've found for projects without ridiculous levels of storage bloat that is required for the number of variants of each material there are. Instead, you're whining about people complaining that they have to delete items, which isn't even the issue at hand, and also somehow twisting 'more efficient storage and standardization of how materials work with how decorative items work' into some sort of 'you're going to ruin my gameplay options' argument, which I don't even understand. With the proposed system you'd have access to materials in the same way as before (finding them on worlds first), without the stupid inventory bloat aspect. I don't get what the problem here is.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

I don't mind later planets kicking my rear end without getting some goodies compared to where you start, or near it. But "gently caress you, Lv 1 enemies on your Lv 1 starter world deals 1/3 your health in damage" was just crazy. Even packing an Iron sword, Iron hunting bow backup, the "Basic" shield made of Iron, and the Snow gear (stronger than silver armor currently)?

Yeah, I agree that we should be able to craft better weapons, or at least a way to give them the cool effects and stuff and increase their damage.

I tried doing something a bit daring today to prevent myself from cheesing the game with sky pirates coordinates: Started fresh, went to a max threat planet with the smallest size I could find and tunneled just a bit under the surface to avoid enemies and their one hit kills. 10 minutes later, I found a chest with a 10 ap shock sword. Even without buying guns it's pretty easy to get a game breaking weapon to your tier. So I think that one level per tier will work out just fine, given decent adjustments. I think that they should keep threat levels in the game, but only adjusting the proportion of easy/medium/hard enemies and with more weather hazards and obstacles like spikes and poison pools.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I wish instead of increasing your temperature, the winter clothes would make you freeze more slowly.

Sure, putting down a torch or campfire every 5 minutes is trivial, but those ice planets just don't feel like ice planets if I can completely ignore the temperature mechanic.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Just a tip for anyone who's playing on a laptop. If your framerate seems low or if gameplay stutters, try switching to your integrated graphics chip. I had performance issues with Starbound with my Geforce 650m, but when I switched to the Intel HD 4000, most of the choppiness went away and performance went up significantly.

I don't know why this works, but it does.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

central dogma posted:

Just a tip for anyone who's playing on a laptop. If your framerate seems low or if gameplay stutters, try switching to your integrated graphics chip. I had performance issues with Starbound with my Geforce 650m, but when I switched to the Intel HD 4000, most of the choppiness went away and performance went up significantly.

I don't know why this works, but it does.

If anyone has any idea, is this the kind of thing that's going to improve as the game gets better-optimised for a wider range of systems, or is this just how this game is going to be?

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

The inventory does kind of bug me, especially when it starts getting full, drop something and pick it back up? Now I have to scan through 30+ items to find that drat wood paneling again.

I think something that would help me the most would be, instead of everything just getting subsequently dumped into your inventory, maybe have an intermediate inventory for recent pick ups, which would auto sort into Weapons, Blocks, Misc.

Or, let me create my own auto-sort. Highlight your top 2 rows in red, and whenever you hit auto-sort, all weapons will drop there, lower right in blue, your food will auto-sort there, a row of green on the bottom? All seeds drop there. Something like that would help immensely.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think the idea that there should be a separate, very large, auto-sorting inventory for natural and building blocks is pretty good.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010
I'm in favor of what's been proposed with regard to cosmetic block variants, with a few caveats.

It seems like adding a drop-down interface to the Matter Manipulator has certain problems: if the menu is very easy to access, it's also easy to access inadvertently while you're trying to use a different function. One would also probably have to go through a multiple-step process- first the menu for 'light' materials, then the specific material, then the specific variant. This seems like a bit of a pain to me.

What I would suggest is this: in order to reduce inventory clutter, have an optional button (possibly enabled by a device if you want immersion, but ideally just an interface feature) to condense all materials in a particular category to a single type.

In addition, however, expand the function of the 3D Printer: allow the player to scan in dirt, stone, and so on. This way the player still only needs one 'sample' of a given material variant, and can then (ideally at a minimal or nonexistent pixel cost, or via 'trading in' generic material), replicate more.
The 3D printer is already present in the game, and already has the infrastructure (both in an immersion sense, and presumably in a programming sense) to act as a catalog of things the player can subsequently duplicate and use.

Similarly, allowing the 3D printer to duplicate unusual decorative backgrounds/bricks/blocks as well as base materials obviates the problem of having to tear down interesting structures in order to make use of their intriguing materials in your own construction.

The printer strikes me as the most underused element of the game, and rather than adding entirely new menus/devices/upgrades, simply expanding it so that it works the way I would intuitively expect it to work (put in anything within reason, you can make more of that thing later) seems logical.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Idea: A high level device that allows you to 3d print an object into the game world directly from your database without needing to return to your ship.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So it turns out that losing your footing on a pile of loose gravel and then going skidding really far down into a yawning black pit, at some point hitting a pool of pitch black water and sinking deep and then suddenly being poisoned and torn apart by a pack of snarling, unseen monsters is not a fun experience at all.

And this was such a happy game. :ohdear:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got this from the google doc:

X:-83274924 Y:25121666

How come when I plug it in in the zoomed out Star map, it just beeps at me when I choose "go". And it doesn't center on anything on it's own?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

How come when I plug it in in the zoomed out Star map, it just beeps at me when I choose "go". And it doesn't center on anything on it's own?

Do you have the correct sector selected?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do you have the correct sector selected?

Alpha, the only sector I have access to.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

Have the ultimate fuel tech be a Fusion Reactor you can throw any matter into to get fuel.

God, yes please. That is currently what holds me back the most; my lack of fuel. Plutonium only gives 5 per ore, and for the effort involved in getting it, that's hardly worth it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'd like to get upgrades to my ship in some manner. Any of this kind of stuff could have its own upgrade levels and varying levels of customization or toggles. Here's what I'm thinking of:

Solar collectors to passively add a little fuel per time while the ship is in orbit around a planet.
Bussard ramjet to negate/reduce the fuel needed to travel on the starmap.
Sensor equipment to detect presence/size of NPC settlements.
Survey equipment for approximating relative/absolute volumes/depths of <foo> target resource.
Starmap modules to add location history, flora+fauna catalog (I imagine it how the Gen6 in-game pokedex works)
Maybe some abstracted scavenger/miner/agriculture drones to give you a small source of ex nihilo resources like wood, seeds, produce, surface metals, etc.

Hopefully these kinds of addons can be included with mods if nothing else.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nobody said anything about removing colors, only saving colors you have found to a list accessed by assigning material, but yeah, everyone wants a grey carbon nanomatter generator to make all parties happy.

All of your suggestions have been bad ones looking at them objectively, I hope the devs don't listen to you at all.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think the game's combat needs an upgrade. So far, all it's been is me smacking enemies, knocking them back, and then smacking them again when they come closer, or sniping them with a bow or shotgun. Give me some combos or something so that I can enjoy getting into fights with the various randomized beasts and humans that wander the planets.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

Alpha, the only sector I have access to.

Then most likely either you or the google doc has the coordinates wrong. When on the zoomed out map, putting in coordinates will center the view on the proper system.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Motherfucker posted:

Idea: A high level device that allows you to 3d print an object into the game world directly from your database without needing to return to your ship.

Care package in a drop pod from your ship? Handheld 3d printer?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I kind of hope they keep it early in the game just because it would help with the feel of being a space hobo at the start, you know what I'm saying? Later on you get bigger fuel tanks and find better things for fuel. Like you can get a 50,000 big tank and find a material that each one you shove in the chute gets you 10,000 fuel, while you can make machines that generate fuel over time.

As it stands clear cutting an entire drat planet just to go visit another one every time you do it is irritating but it makes sense to have to scrabble for fuel from the first one.

Work on the distress beacon idea. Alpha sector can just sort of be like a DMZ type of area of under developed civilizations that other societies just try to steer clear from and let the fledgling civilizations advance on their own. Doesn't mean there aren't anarchists that ignore that and setup highly advanced bases in there (which you can draw resources from if you're lucky), nor does it mean that no one ever gets displaced (see: the player character) and/or wrecks on the planets in these sectors. Some of these other wrecked ships, some of which are recent with NPCs building a shelter; others ancient. Other beacons might be long forgotten technology/facilities still pinging some sort of signal into space. Anyway, have them randomly pop up on the star map. Make fuel cost really expensive early on. You can not travel very far without spending a lot, so early game, a lot of distress beacons will necessarily go ignored; being random, their signals will die before the player can explore them (they should pop up between jumps, and reset once every 10-30 minutes, I guess). They should also be a primary source of fuel in T1. I know a lot of people want to do the planet hopping, but a lot of people want to do everything the game has to offer, right now, but this is clearly a very progression oriented game. Let the planet hopping come later. A nearby distress beacon can get the player started, but it should be important to reinforce that T1, you are hosed. Your homeworld is gone, and you're on your own. Only in later tiers should things turn around.

Anyway, working on the idea of progression. In T1, people are liable to stay in their little pocket of the sector. It will not be impossible to cross the entire sector, but will require some planet hopping from nearby distress beacon to nearby distress beacon. Sometimes the player will not be able to access any of them, because trees should not only just contribute very little fuel, but actually have an absolute maximum they can fill the tank. Only by checking other beacons can you tend to scrape up enough fuel for a more substantial jump. So once you hit your first beacon, things should start to open up, but you won't want to waste that fuel, except to jump to another beacon.

T2 the player should have better access to a more efficient fuel. Say, uranium. Beacons should still be there, and the player ship engine could be upgraded(repaired) as part of explaining the trip out of Alpha sector, making fuel obtained from beacons more efficient, meaning accessing beacons should be less problematic and more reliable. Planet hopping for planet hopping should definitely be a thing, but expect to make stops only to refuel.

T3, the sector should probably have actual refueling stations. Give 'em pixel costs. Just something to make it an annoyance. Decrease the probability of "wreck" beacons since now you're maybe into an area that has high traffic of interstellar civilizations. Maybe by volume there are more wrecks, but being in and around civilization, say you have rescue teams responding to these beacons faster than you can receive them. Probably don't even need to explain it in-game. Instead, beacons should be facilities of some sort. Maybe stuff buried underground. The idea being the player may have to work more to get "free fuel", but planet hoping is totally viable now buy completely ignoring beacons, but they still exist in case the player burns too much fuel and can not even reach a fueling station; but in that case, they will probably have a ton stashed, anyway.

I guess the other, and perhaps more elegant, if not necessarily more engaging option is to just make the fuel container the only "safe" place to store fuel. All fuel should be radio active. T1, you have ONE container to collect fuel stuffs with. Span uranium in Alapha sector. Should be relatively common, if however only available a little ways underground. Alternative, is to keep the beacons, because I clearly like that idea, if only as a neat way of directing the player through sectors (randomly). Anyway, in this manner, the player can only carry so much fuel to the ship at one time, and only what they can carry (limited) or have in the tank (also limited) will be the most fuel they can ever have. Highly limited fuel will make traveling in T1 a chore, but far from impossible. T2, expand the fuel tank, give the player more carry capacity for the radioactive materials, or increase engine efficiency/available fuel efficiency (plutonium), maybe some combination of all of the above. T3, continue with that, or maybe add fueling stations as a way of mitigating the dedicated fuel hunting to the point where finding some uranium/plutonium might save you the cost of fill-up and be welcomed, but not necessarily something the player feels compelled to go out of their way to look for. T4+ and above the purchase price will simply deflate relative to the number of pixels the player will be accumulating and a larger and large tank should make the need to worry about fuel ever less of a concern, unless the player forgets to check their tank before a jump and finds themselves 'stranded' and needing to do a little bit of digging once again.

:words: I like the survival element. I want it to stay, but definitely don't think it should remain the primary focus. Proposed above would basically mean the point at which everyone is already at would be the point where manually gathering fuel becomes outdated.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Feenix posted:

You don't just type them in and click go, the coordinates only center the map on the target solar system. You then have to click on it like normal and then choose the planet/moon you want. That is why most coordinates also include the planet name.

ex: x58693900y93077490 Alpha Centauri 745d

Type the coords in, click the Alpha Centauri 745 system and choose planet d. Hit go.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Yo I think that glass should cost less than 3 sand, that's all.

edit: and on top of that, it costs 2 glass to make one wooden window. Don't tax my glass, bro.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 8, 2013

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Has anyone itt had success setting up a multiplayer server using hamachi? I have some buddies who are connected to my hamachi network, and I can join the mplayer server I'm running using my hamachi IP, but they can't. I was under the impression that I didn't need to set up port forwarding so long as I set port forwarding to false in my config file, but this is my first time using hamachi so it's entirely possible I'm being wrong/dumb about that... they should just be able to enter the hamachi IP when they try to join, right?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but random google guides don't seem to cover the "getting other people to connect" aspect.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Beta thoughts:

Chucklefish, why do you hate enabling copy and paste for text input in your games?
If this design decision is making it into your open beta then I seriously doubt your ability at reaching the potential that your bones setup has to offer.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

TheresNoThyme posted:

Has anyone itt had success setting up a multiplayer server using hamachi? I have some buddies who are connected to my hamachi network, and I can join the mplayer server I'm running using my hamachi IP, but they can't. I was under the impression that I didn't need to set up port forwarding so long as I set port forwarding to false in my config file, but this is my first time using hamachi so it's entirely possible I'm being wrong/dumb about that... they should just be able to enter the hamachi IP when they try to join, right?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but random google guides don't seem to cover the "getting other people to connect" aspect.

I was using Hamachi until the Irritated Koala update, then it no longer worked and I had to set up port forwarding.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Yo I think that glass should cost less than 3 sand, that's all.

edit: and on top of that, it costs 2 glass to make one wooden window. Don't tax my glass, bro.

1. Find a desert planet
2. Hit a low area of fine sand with your pickaxe
3. Stand there and collect several hundred

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Machai posted:

You don't just type them in and click go, the coordinates only center the map on the target solar system. You then have to click on it like normal and then choose the planet/moon you want. That is why most coordinates also include the planet name.

ex: x58693900y93077490 Alpha Centauri 745d

Type the coords in, click the Alpha Centauri 745 system and choose planet d. Hit go.

Yes but is the system supposed to be named the same as the planets, more or less? It didn't seem to be. I'll try again in a sec...

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

joats posted:

Beta thoughts:

Chucklefish, why do you hate enabling copy and paste for text input in your games?
If this design decision is making it into your open beta then I seriously doubt your ability at reaching the potential that your bones setup has to offer.

What? Copypasting coords work.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Firetrick posted:

I was using Hamachi until the Irritated Koala update, then it no longer worked and I had to set up port forwarding.

Ugh, thanks for letting me know. We'll try normal port fwding I guess. If anyone else has hamachi working, it would save me a big hassle with my crappy router

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Had to do a double take when I zapped down onto this planet.

Little did I know I had ventured into the horsebutt system.

That planet also contains the rocket jump tech in a facility just left of spawn, which lets you jump really high *and take fall damage when you fall slightly farther than the jump* Activated by holding W and then jumping.

x37802557 y54216238 for anyone interested in horesbutts

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 8, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

If all of your mobs are not using the Fart and Horse Neigh sound clips, I will be disappointed.

---

In other news Curse has apparently been harassing Chucklefish over not using their Gamepedia wiki as the official wiki and has been bullying the guy who started the wiki that Chucklefish has decided upon and links to in their launcher.

Tiyuri posted:

Interesting that these comments appear (from two new accounts, minutes apart) right after I declined curse's.. request (demands) to host our official wiki. After confronting someone at curse for allegedly telling the founder of Starbounder not to work with us because we are "money hungry publishers who don't care about the community".

I'll let the Starbounder founder tell you about his wonderful experience with Curse trying to buy his wiki from him.

The guy he was responding to has mysteriously deleted all of his comments in response. :allears:

Good on them, Curse is a loving horrid company and is one of the chief supporters of a lot of the bad behaviors surrounding other game communities like MC.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Arbitrary Number posted:

What? Copypasting coords work.

Maybe, after trying to copy and paste a server address I didn't attempt doing it for coords.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

joats posted:

Maybe, after trying to copy and paste a server address I didn't attempt doing it for coords.

Copy pasting also works for server ips. It works for everything you input text for, as far as I am aware.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

So I've been playing this a lot and it's tons of fun, but I think I'm stuck now. I've got the best weapon and best armor I can craft, and I don't know how to improve it. Any planets past threat level 8 or so I can't handle right now, but I also can't seem to figure out how to craft any better gear than my Iron Bow and level 5 spear.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Located at the far end of the Horsehead Nebula, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

AceSnyp3r posted:

So I've been playing this a lot and it's tons of fun, but I think I'm stuck now. I've got the best weapon and best armor I can craft, and I don't know how to improve it. Any planets past threat level 8 or so I can't handle right now, but I also can't seem to figure out how to craft any better gear than my Iron Bow and level 5 spear.

Find an avian pirateship in the google doc listed in the first page. Buy the highest AP sniperrifle available with the highest damage.

• Locked thread