Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

So I'm running into a weird glitch.

Randomly, as I'm playing, the game will suddenly switch to a zoomed-in perspective. The HUD is where it's supposed to be, but everything else is zoomed way tighter in on the character, making it really hard to see. This tends to happen when something requires a significant load (like beaming down to the planet, beaming up, or dying).

I now have a save file that's more or less corrupted because the game instantly tries to do this when loading the file and gets stuck mid-way, never actually loading in. I created a new character and this glitch hit me again roughly 15 minutes in. That save file could well be unusable too, now.

I started playing this game yesterday, but this glitch didn't start happening until a couple hours ago.

Does it perhaps look like this?

Because that happened to me when I pressed F11 for some reason. I haven't gotten it to occur by itself, but the idea is worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ice_Mallet posted:

Because that happened to me when I pressed F11 for some reason. I haven't gotten it to occur by itself, but the idea is worrying.

F11 is supposed to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes, at least on OS X. Maybe it's bugging out?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Ice_Mallet posted:

Yeah, that.

In the Options, you can set your "Zoom" to 2x, 3x, or 4x to zoom in like that (presumably for screenshots). The glitch I'm encountering seems to be setting 2x as the minimum zoom.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mage Ham posted:

In addition, however, expand the function of the 3D Printer: allow the player to scan in dirt, stone, and so on. This way the player still only needs one 'sample' of a given material variant, and can then (ideally at a minimal or nonexistent pixel cost, or via 'trading in' generic material), replicate more.
The 3D printer is already present in the game, and already has the infrastructure (both in an immersion sense, and presumably in a programming sense) to act as a catalog of things the player can subsequently duplicate and use.
I think the refinery should also be expanded to work on more items. So you can scan some Purple Dirt, then dump all the rest into your refinery to convert it into pixels to use later reconstituting purple dirt if you want some.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure they were never intended to be printable. You get more seeds from farming. You don't need to print them.
Actually for many crops you seem to get exactly one seed per plant out, so if you want to expand you have to go find more in the wild.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Two questions:

1- Can I change where I teleport down to from my ship? I built a base but I didnt make it at the LZ

2- I'm still confused about using the 3D printer - can somebody link me to a guide?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The original plan was that every tier would introduce a new major mechanic, right? I assume a lot of mechanics (monster taming, for instance) still aren't quite in, but I felt that concept gave a lot of structure to the game's progression through tiers. But since they were supposed to be largely done, what's the major distinction between the first three tiers now? I guess 3 introduces wire and paint, so that's not bad, but what's 2 have that 1 doesn't?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Motherfucker posted:

Okay so, you want platinum but you don't wanna / can't figure out how to cheat and exploit to get it.

There's another way!

Step one: Get a charlie or delta quad gun from the sky pirates, Assault rifle, pistol whatever you wish.

Step two: Head back to alpha.

Step three: Pick any planet and beam down. Drop a flag, or some other item to announce that you now own this planet and than pick a direction and go in it.

Step four: Kill. Everything. Sentient life, animals, everything. Clean out every temple, prison, castle and complex on the way

Step five: when you reach your flag of dominance, repeat the cycle on the next planet.

I seriously can't imagine trying to grind out 67 + 8 bars of plat, I wouldn't even bother. I'd just skip platinum tier, grab some titanium from the bottom of some TL30 planet, and summon Boss #3 on top of a TL30 airship. Watch as your pirate buddies murder it for you.

Hopefully this terrible set of mechanics will be fixed up in the next major patch. Though I might end up peacing out of this game for a while, until it's much more workable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zereth posted:

Actually for many crops you seem to get exactly one seed per plant out, so if you want to expand you have to go find more in the wild.

It seems like most or all crops give slightly more than one seed per harvest on average, with harvesting occasionally giving two or zero seeds. The problem is the chances for getting zero seeds on harvest seems to be somewhat high. When working with small numbers of starter seeds, it's really hard to grow your farm and there's a decent chance that your crop numbers will remain even or get reduced. I don't think it's very fun that this can happen and they should probably change it so you're always guaranteed at least one seed.

Phobophilia posted:

I seriously can't imagine trying to grind out 67 + 8 bars of plat, I wouldn't even bother. I'd just skip platinum tier, grab some titanium from the bottom of some TL30 planet, and summon Boss #3 on top of a TL30 airship. Watch as your pirate buddies murder it for you.

Hopefully this terrible set of mechanics will be fixed up in the next major patch. Though I might end up peacing out of this game for a while, until it's much more workable.

A complete ore rebalance is in the works for the next patch on top of armor and progression rebalances.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 8, 2013

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
This game surprised me. It's really fun once you get into the groove of things!

I hope they plan to add new poo poo after released.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

kloa posted:

Electric Bass

I must have this, please tell me you wrote down what planet this was on.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The systems for this game have a lot of potential. But right now since it's a beta there's a lot of 'width' to the game and not a lot of depth.

One thing I am kind of worried about is that part of the appeal of Terraria was that the world is absolutely jam packed with stuff. Starbound's planets feel incredibly thin and spread out, and far too large. It's cool to jump around and explore and find stuff right now on the surface, but even that feels a little superficial. I will chalk this up to lack of content and a real progression right now.

There just seems to be this conflict between 'jump around and explore 50 cool worlds' or 'spelunk into one or two worlds and find cool stuff' - I'm not really sure how both of those things can coincide in the game without either feeling incredibly thin. This game is very unlike terraria but its still trying to be terraria in ways that I can see conflicting with the flow of the game.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

Zereth posted:

I think the refinery should also be expanded to work on more items. So you can scan some Purple Dirt, then dump all the rest into your refinery to convert it into pixels to use later reconstituting purple dirt if you want some.

This seems sensible as well.

What might also be convenient: some sort of device that acts as a materials scanner, acting as the input side of the printer but not the output.
That way you don't need to return to the ship if you find something interesting but your inventory is getting a bit full, but at the same time the ship retains its value as a base-station for generating new material.

The difficult thing is maintaining a balance between alleviating unnecessary annoyances (like inventory clutter) without removing the challenge.

Also, I find myself curious what people's reactions to the pickaxes would be if the Matter Manipulator were named something like a 'Matter Mover' or 'Construct-o-tron', emphasizing its functionality as a tool for building primarily, and harvesting secondarily.

Mage Ham fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 8, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Delaio posted:

I must have this, please tell me you wrote down what planet this was on.

I did! (It's now my home planet for the moment.)

It's on the surface a good ways to the left past the morphball.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Summoned the UFO, after .01 seconds it Mario stomped me, instantly killing me and permanently destroying the item. Now I have to make another......

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How to boss fight: find a level 10/20/30 world with air pirates and summon the boss on top of the ship.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Anyone have a TL40 planet with Gun Sellers?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Above Our Own posted:

Anyone have a TL40 planet with Gun Sellers?

40739463 -20558957

Gamma Gienah Corvi 815 II

rhoga posted:

Found a level 40 planet with airship.

Go get bird guns.
:freep:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Jusupov posted:

40739463 -20558957

Gamma Gienah Corvi 815 II
Thanks. Left or right?

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

Baldbeard posted:

Summoned the UFO, after .01 seconds it Mario stomped me, instantly killing me and permanently destroying the item. Now I have to make another......

If you want to defeat UFO and you don't have bombs or can't find gun sellers:
1. Make yourself a set of snow soldier armor (you can get leather by making an iron bow and hunting on TL1 planet).
2. Go to TL10 planet and find yourself a high damage (two-handed) weapon (either buy it, or find it in a random chest).
3. Have about 20 bandages with you and summon the boss anywhere. It has a predictable pattern and you can hit him with melee weapons when he stomps you, but, because you have level 13 armor, the boss only does like 6 points of damage to you so you can easily take it and heal yourself with bandages.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Sweet, now that I have moved onto a new solar system a few pixels away on the map (for 1/4 a full fuel tank), this desert world I finished circling had a Harp, AND a Chef Spawner?

Oh cool, the Chef Spawner seems scannable *scans*... Aaaaand it didn't get added to the replicate list :doh:

Insult to injury, clearcutting all the palm trees and grabbing every scrap of coal noticed by sunlight or flashlight, or lead to from such digging (and shallow cavern delving) is juuuust enough fuel's worth for a single jump... So if I jump back to the 'homeworld' to offload my crammed to the gills with knicknacks inventory, I'll be at a loss for fuel.

This is why I spent so much time loving around my 'no fuel needed' first two worlds.

In other news, Floran prisoners want to eat you more than they want to eat their Floran guards. Half that desert world was made out of skulls (which I fear more because they are as hard to dig through as cobblestone with my copper pickaxe. Three worlds, enough silver in one or two bits of ore at a time to make 12 bars, and I know I'll probably need all that for multiple beacons).

All bitching aside, I do love what I'm seeing so far in general. But from a natural, not using a spreadsheet as a strategy guide for shortcuts standpoint the incentive to make a home for yourself somewhere or keep any cool stuff or materials on hand is pretty low when you never know if you'll find enough fuel for ONE jump, let alone several the next world you check out though. A single tree usually isn't all that much wood, and they don't regrow let alone can be planted at the moment. Nevermind all the things made of wood you might want to build (hello, torches). Coal is 2 fuel per ore, but you also don't want to chuck every scrap of fuel into the ship because you need that for fires, and later (not that I've reached that point) making steel.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you can find a frog merchant you'll never need torches again. They sell oil lanterns for 15 pixels to go with their 10 pixel bombs.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Dumb question time! I beat the UFO after hours of pounding my head into a wall for far to long, I kill it. Now, however, I can't seem to figure out what to do with this Molten Core. If the game did tell me, I have long since forgot about it and the quest log for it isn't much help. What do I do with this thing?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Unbound posted:

Dumb question time! I beat the UFO after hours of pounding my head into a wall for far to long, I kill it. Now, however, I can't seem to figure out what to do with this Molten Core. If the game did tell me, I have long since forgot about it and the quest log for it isn't much help. What do I do with this thing?

You combine it with your anvil to make a more advanced anvil.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

If you can find a frog merchant you'll never need torches again. They sell oil lanterns for 15 pixels to go with their 10 pixel bombs.
I clearcut a large forest world once and just mining coal as I come across it gets me all the torch material I need, really.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Kyrosiris posted:

You combine it with your anvil to make a more advanced anvil.

Thanks! Looks like I need a few more pixels now. How long until I can get some guns? The sword and board thing is really cool, but now I want firepower.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Above Our Own posted:

Thanks. Left or right?

Left on mine. Though if you go get the targeted blink tech I linked earlier doesn't really matter which way you go as it's so fast.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unbound posted:

Thanks! Looks like I need a few more pixels now. How long until I can get some guns? The sword and board thing is really cool, but now I want firepower.
Find an avian pirate ship and buy some.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems like most or all crops give slightly more than one seed per harvest on average, with harvesting occasionally giving two or zero seeds. The problem is the chances for getting zero seeds on harvest seems to be somewhat high.

You're probably right; the flipside, though, is that if you start with even 10 seeds or so, that should be enough for probability to kick in and give you a good yield. My best results have been with plantings like that - tomatoes specifically work pretty well because they grow quite fast. I just harvested and 36 plants and got 41 seeds. Maybe a 5-20% chance at a bonus seed? It's enough for small but steady growth. I actually like it a lot better than just giving you double seeds every time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When working with small numbers of starter seeds, it's really hard to grow your farm and there's a decent chance that your crop numbers will remain even or get reduced. I don't think it's very fun that this can happen and they should probably change it so you're always guaranteed at least one seed.

I've never run out of seeds for a new crop but if that's possible it should definitely be looked at. It would be cool if there was a way to get a couple starter seeds for any seed that you've found, maybe with a long cooldown or high price or something, in case you run out.

That said, I kinda like it how it is, too. If you find a planet with a wild crop, you can easily harvest a dozen or more seeds and add a healthy amount to your farm, but occasionally you may just find a few seeds from some exotic species, and you gotta carefully take care of them to them really established. But I know I'm in the minority and wouldn't want to force that on most people who probably just see that as tedious. :haw:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Genocyber posted:

It's not at all obvious ... that you need to get stuff from a level 10 planet before using the Distress Beacon.
That's not really necessarily a problem, just use the Beacon, note that the enemies are level 9, get your rear end kicked, and figure out that you will probably need level 9 or higher weapons and armor before trying again. Same principle as fighting anything else level 10-ish and doing no damage, and it's not like it's horrifically expensive to try again once you're actually prepared.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've yet to see a shield block enemy melee attacks.
Shields absolutely block melee attacks just fine, I run around planets with a shield out and just hit block right before I walk through enemies :)

Liandar posted:

If you want to defeat UFO and you don't have bombs or can't find gun sellers:
2. Go to TL10 planet and find yourself a high damage (two-handed) weapon (either buy it, or find it in a random chest).
Better yet, find an Avian town. Shops sell Lv+0 weapons (relative to planet level), but guards sometimes spawn with green weapons that are 2-5 levels above the threat level of the planet - Avian towns are preferable because (as far as I know) their guards only use melee weapons, so if you have a gun or spear with decent knockback (or keep backpedaling) you should be able to take them out.

I stole myself a level 13 dagger and spear off a level 9 planet's guards and used them to obliterate the UFO for 110 damage per hit without having to resort to any kind of cheese.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 8, 2013

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013
Just played for awhile with some friends, and at some point my buddy spawned a level 20 robot boss thing that we could barely scrape and could kill us instantly. Luckily, he had the bright idea to surround the robot with dirt, allowing us to poke at it with our tridents without even being touched (apparently dirt is his only weakness). Feels kind of bad loving with the game like that, though.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Others may laugh at me for using random natural materials for wallpaper but I'll show them!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bo Jackson posted:

Just played for awhile with some friends, and at some point my buddy spawned a level 20 robot boss thing that we could barely scrape and could kill us instantly. Luckily, he had the bright idea to surround the robot with dirt, allowing us to poke at it with our tridents without even being touched (apparently dirt is his only weakness). Feels kind of bad loving with the game like that, though.
I'd feel more bad if I could craft armor and weapons strong enough to deal with it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It would be nice if they'd do something about monsters being utterly unable to fight the 'build a wall of dirt' tactic. Creatures that can break walls or shoot through them would fix it, among other things.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Xun posted:

Others may laugh at me for using random natural materials for wallpaper but I'll show them!

I can't help but feel you may be unaware of the impending apocalypse...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

victrix posted:

It would be nice if they'd do something about monsters being utterly unable to fight the 'build a wall of dirt' tactic. Creatures that can break walls or shoot through them would fix it, among other things.

If they had swipe arcs that emulated existing weapons, like axes or spears, they could hit you through the blocks too. Having them break blocks might make them eroding your house a headache but it would also solve the problem of dirt trivializing them entirely. needless to say i'm guilty of dirt bubbling my way through an entire prison so I'm sure its not an unknown problem.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I've gone to a few of the places listed in the thread looking for a Blink tech, but found other Tech's in the chests instead. Must be random.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
As long as there's a way to temper blocks somehow (maybe a spray or whatever) so you can prevent monsters from eating your base, I'd love to see some mobs smash through terrain

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

victrix posted:

That's not a bad idea, but I don't think it's always a problem when games let you degrade your own experience. Skyrim (and many other games) have the same issue. Sure, you can power-cheese the systems to completely break the game. If you enjoy that, then go for it, but if you don't enjoy it and do it anyway, that's not to be blamed only on the devs.

Of course, there's a middle-ground; the devs should probably remove that 3D Printer dupe bug, for instance. But, generally, I think more responsibility has to be put on the player to choose to play games in a way that's fun for them. This kind of issue is only going to become more prominent in games as they open up more and more.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
I believe they've already stated they're gonna remove the ability to attack through walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Constantly having to police yourself and wonder "will this ruin my fun?" is stupid and the responsibility is absolutely on the developer to make the solutions to the challenges their game introduces interesting and balanced.

• Locked thread