Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Motherfucker posted:

If we're having crappy boss-fight ideas mine is the player versing an avian high priest in gold power armor with wing-themed jetpack and combination of a grenade launcher and a sword that he uses in swooping attacks.

Avians have some insane consumable flying meteor item, he can use those.

"Phoenix Emblem", tears poo poo up, huge explosion and leaves like 10 block wide burning wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I did not know this, but it seems perfect.

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008
Do we have a 4-pack thread for this hidden somewhere? I bought one and gave away 2 copies, and I have one left, for freeeeeeeee.....

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I'd like to see playable music help plants to grow.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If we're talking pie-in-the-sky bosses...

A Glitch Paladin that only shows up if you kill innocents. S/he bellows things like "RIGHTEOUS. REPENT THY MISDEEDS, VILLAIN!" and has a flashing LED halo held up by a little wire. S/he also sometimes yells "DRAMATIC. SMITE EVIL" and shoots wall-penetrating waves of energy from swordpoint.

If a Paladin shows up due to hostile monsters but you haven't harassed the local innocents, you can ask them to lay hands on you to heal you. "JOVIAL. I AM ALWAYS GLAD TO HELP A SOUL IN NEED."

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

If we're talking pie-in-the-sky bosses...

A Glitch Paladin that only shows up if you kill innocents. S/he bellows things like "RIGHTEOUS. REPENT THY MISDEEDS, VILLAIN!" and has a flashing LED halo held up by a little wire. S/he also sometimes yells "DRAMATIC. SMITE EVIL" and shoots wall-penetrating waves of energy from swordpoint.

If a Paladin shows up due to hostile monsters but you haven't harassed the local innocents, you can ask them to lay hands on you to heal you. "JOVIAL. I AM ALWAYS GLAD TO HELP A SOUL IN NEED."

oh god this is brilliant.

Huszsersvn posted:

I'd like to see playable music help plants to grow.

also this, it is also brilliant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vib Rib posted:

The original plan was that every tier would introduce a new major mechanic, right? I assume a lot of mechanics (monster taming, for instance) still aren't quite in, but I felt that concept gave a lot of structure to the game's progression through tiers. But since they were supposed to be largely done, what's the major distinction between the first three tiers now? I guess 3 introduces wire and paint, so that's not bad, but what's 2 have that 1 doesn't?

Techs, maybe? I could be wrong, but I never saw any on any T1 planets, while I've come across plenty in T2.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pakled posted:

Techs, maybe? I could be wrong, but I never saw any on any T1 planets, while I've come across plenty in T2.

I found both my techs on teir one.

And none since :sigh:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Florans are the best. :allears:

Also they seem to be connected with Earth's fate. Floran NPCs mention someone called Greenfinger. I found his note in a USCM base:

Inspecting one of the displays showed this:

:tinfoil:

omeg fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 8, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a tier of metals after Impervium?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a tier of metals after Impervium?

no.

Invading Avian temples as an avian is pretty drat informative.

Everyone else is like 'durr hurr shiny'

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Attention fellow Starbound goons, are you tired of spending ages to mine out a simple passageway through rock? Do you wish that the starting Matter Manipulator, otherwise known as the beamaxe, was more useful later in the game? Are you willing to make a few simple easy to understand modifications to some game files? Then I have a solution for you.

First, open Windows Explorer and navigate to "<your steam install directory>\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools". The Matter Manipulator's behavior is stored in the beamaxe.beamaxe file. Your pickaxes' behaviors are stored in <material>pickaxe.miningtool.

To mod the Matter Manipulator, first open the beamaxe.beamaxe file in your favorite text editor. I prefer Notepad++. Unlike the pickaxes, the beamaxe doesn't have a set block damage that I can see, but instead relies on a "fireTime". Modify the fireTime from 0.25 to 0.001. In addition, you can modify blockRadius and altBlockRadius to your preferred mining size. I prefer blockRadius of 4 and altBlockRadius of 2, although I have sometimes modified them to 40 and 4, respectively, for ore finding fun. Now, launch Starbound, and behold the power of the new upgraded Matter Manipulator.

blockRadius of 4

after mining

blockRadius of 40. Note how it lights up the area so you can see if there are ores there.

altBlockRadius of 4, for finer mining

After holding down left mouse button for about 2 seconds.

Mining out the backwall.

In addition, it is also very easy to mod the pickaxes for better performance. I know that I was not satisfied even with the diamond pickaxe's leisurely mining rate. Open your <materialtype>pickaxe.miningtool of choice, change tileDamage to 100, and tileDamageBlunted to 100. Now, it will mine any block type in a single click. You may also modify blockRadius and altBlockRadius to your liking. Enjoy.

I tried this out on a multiplayer server and the effect still works. I set mine to 0.05 which is quick but still makes tougher materials tougher so it isn't insanely fast, but even then I might slow it down a bit more. I really like the Matter Manipulator as a single primary tool and I kinda hope they'd buff it up and let you build axe and pick mods to add to it instead of needing separate axes and picks.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

omeg posted:

I really love all the little character details, like racial-specific examination quotes for almost every item, and bits of backstory and hints at later major plot events. Even though there were some NPCs, you really felt like the only sentient creature in all of Terraria, wheras Starbound has a much more lived-in feeling universe that I appreciate.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Did they say when Novakids are coming? I know everyone is gonna want to be one too but I am looking forward to being a living-plasma space cowboy who flies a choochoo train.

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
I think the music is clearly the best thing,I got the female microphone and it is the most ridiculously obnoxious thing I have ever seen, does anyone have the male microphone? I need to get that too!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reiley posted:

Did they say when Novakids are coming? I know everyone is gonna want to be one too but I am looking forward to being a living-plasma space cowboy who flies a choochoo train.

I believe they said when the stretch goal was released that Novakids would be in the release version of the game, just not the beta.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

I tried this out on a multiplayer server and the effect still works. I set mine to 0.05 which is quick but still makes tougher materials tougher so it isn't insanely fast, but even then I might slow it down a bit more. I really like the Matter Manipulator as a single primary tool and I kinda hope they'd buff it up and let you build axe and pick mods to add to it instead of needing separate axes and picks.

I like the idea of matter manipulator buffs but I gotta say I also like the idea of having picks and stone axes and their like.

I'd make the matter manipulator upgrade more materially expensive than the equivalent pick-axe for the benefit of increased range, seeing through blocks and no durability loss.

Plus it makes more sense because you're doing ~FINE SCIENCE~ instead of slapping a lump of metal on a stick.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I've put hundreds of hours into Minecraft and Terraria, but maybe this game isn't for me, but after putting 17 hours into it, I'm convinced that it needs a major overhaul and a lot of things need to be taken back to the drawing board:

1. The combat sucks. In fact, it is terrible. The enemies that this game generates are devoid by design of any originality or personality, being that they are entirely random. Despite the developer focusing so hard on making unlimited random monsters, they only thought to throw in a few basic attack patterns and combat really follows a handful of basic strategies. The boss fights are a boring slog and the temptation to cheese them is way too great, and way too easy. It's lazy Minecraft combat. Reduce the number of hostile encounters and work to generate enemies that require some strategy to counter. Give combat some adrenaline and weight instead of just being an inconvenience or stepping stone to the next set of planets or some piece of furniture.

2. The random planets also all feel the same. It doesn't matter what kind of world you're on, jungle/forest/snow, whatever, there are no hazards unique to each planet. Nothing really varies except for temperature. Add some threats, hell, just environments, unique to each planet. Is there any reason why a planet that's entirely forests shouldn't have a gigantic tree canopy that I can walk around in? Why do I not die of shock and hypothermia when I fall into freezing water? Why can I even breathe on a moon which obviously has no atmosphere?

3. The universe is massive, and yet devoid of real challenges. Because of the formerly mentioned two points, there is no real challenge or difficulty to the game. There is no risk/reward for going to harder planets before you can handle them. You can easily grind on easier planets or find a merchant to buy a good weapon from after grinding some pixels. The game is one huge grind. Maybe this is likely to be fixed, but real rewards need to come from some sort of quest mechanic with actual challenges.

4. There is no point or benefit to building or settling a planet. Don't lie to me, you may have a few bonsai gardens here and there, but really you live out of your ship, which is the same shape/size as everybody else's, and all of your important stuff is in there because it can be. Add some kind of settlement mechanic, let me start an Apex settlement Dwarf Fortress style or something which I then have to defend from Florans or whoever. Having all of your resource/crafting buildings be unlimited fuel, featherweight furniture pieces is boring too and has been all done before (Minecraft, Terraria).

5. Your character feels like it has the power of a god, yet exists in a bunch of artificial handcuffs. I'm not talking about the "cave man tier" debate, because that's entirely aside from the issue. There are quadrillions of planets, and yet you're limited to picking them apart 2x2 and 3x3? Why can't you build a laser and turn the thing into a crater? Why can't you terraform it? Let us have some fun with the planets instead of them just being Terraria world after Terraria world.

I've got more gripes, but basically this game is boring to me. It's a Minecraft/Terraria me-too, and it doesn't really bring anything new to the table besides ~*~wacky random aliens~*~. The only aspects of the game that have any character are the races and their settlements, objects, back-stories and conversations. So why do I have to look for hours on my own or go to a Google Doc to find any of this interesting content? Make dealing with other races a bigger part of the game. Make settlements have names and weights and economies instead of just being cookie-cutter clones of the next one. Just in general, make my actions feel like they have some consequences or effect on the larger world. Until that's done, this game is just basically lonely, pointless masturbation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Extra Crispy posted:

Do we have a 4-pack thread for this hidden somewhere? I bought one and gave away 2 copies, and I have one left, for freeeeeeeee.....

I'll take you up on that. My steam ID is dis.astranagant.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Reiley posted:

End of the beta along with pets and fossils.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

omeg posted:

:tinfoil:

Yeah, the Floran "quest" seems to be getting as strong as they possibly can to hunt the biggest game in the universe, and prove their point to the rest of the Florans.

I imagine the biggest game in the universe is something that eats planets.

As for Greenfinger, by spamming investigate on absolutely everything I've seen as a Floran, he seems to be the ( only? ) Floran scientist? And apparently working for the USCM right now as a researcher? He's constantly mentioned as "Ah this thing, Greenfinger talked about this once. Floran forget though because boring speech." He seems to be respected/known by the Floran PC, so maybe he was one of the reasons you broke away from savagery.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

This game is just basically lonely, pointless masturbation. I've put hundreds of hours into Minecraft and Terraria.

:downsbravo:

But basically a lot of what you said could be dismissed with 'still beta yo' so that's my answer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I like the idea of matter manipulator buffs but I gotta say I also like the idea of having picks and stone axes and their like.

I'd make the matter manipulator upgrade more materially expensive than the equivalent pick-axe for the benefit of increased range, seeing through blocks and no durability loss.

Plus it makes more sense because you're doing ~FINE SCIENCE~ instead of slapping a lump of metal on a stick.

I know the whole pick/axe thing has been a genre staple since Minecraft but I feel like it can all be collapsed into the MM device and be functionally the same, like instead of crafting a pickax you craft a blue plasma projector and you apply it to your MM and you now have a stone pickax, and you can upgrade that to a green plasma unit for a copper pickax, and then red for silver and so on, and you could add like an artificial solar array to it to add hoe and gardening functionality to that same unit, but keep everything all on the one device. I also like opening up the file to tweak the firespeed because it feels like unscrewing the case on the device and supercharging it or filing down a sear or something so it works more like traditional tools, but I am hoping they support upgrading it more officially.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

:allears:

But basically a lot of what you said could be dismissed with 'still beta yo' so that's my answer.
A lot of those are not beta problems though, and that's my biggest concern. All of the core gameplay mechanics are already in the game. The quality of the combat is a huge problem and, while Minecraft and Terraria's combat was just as bad, they made no effort to fix that.

I mean, yeah, MC and Terraria are pretty pointless too, but there's still that social aspect for the former. In Terraria, at least your actions have major consequences on your world. This game is devoid of both. Instead of changing anything in the star system you've been bumping around on for the past 5 hours, each boss just opens up a new one full of cookie cutter worlds for you to bump around in for another 5 hours.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

A lot of those are not beta problems though, and that's my biggest concern. All of the core gameplay mechanics are already in the game. The quality of the combat is a huge problem and, while Minecraft and Terraria's combat was just as bad, they made no effort to fix that.

Uh, yes they are. They are revamping the combat for the patch coming out tomorrow or so. They've said in the past they've only started adding combat techniques to enemies, and have a ton more planned.

There will eventually be a main story for each race that sends you to major zones/areas and upgrades the ship/probably the MM.

They've already said they plan to finetune environments and locales to be a bit more interesting, but this is an early beta, so it's just basic randomization right now.

Literally everything you complained about outside of "I want a settlement minigame in my Starbound" has been addressed by the devs multiple times when launching this beta as stuff they plan to include before launch. And not a single one of those is "impossible to fix core gameplay problems", because adding in more interesting zone biomes, or adding in new meters/enemy abilites is largely just adding to current tables, not reinventing the wheel.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

I know the whole pick/axe thing has been a genre staple since Minecraft but I feel like it can all be collapsed into the MM device and be functionally the same, like instead of crafting a pickax you craft a blue plasma projector and you apply it to your MM and you now have a stone pickax, and you can upgrade that to a green plasma unit for a copper pickax, and then red for silver and so on, and you could add like an artificial solar array to it to add hoe and gardening functionality to that same unit, but keep everything all on the one device. I also like opening up the file to tweak the firespeed because it feels like unscrewing the case on the device and supercharging it or filing down a sear or something so it works more like traditional tools, but I am hoping they support upgrading it more officially.

:shrug: I'd still use a pick axe if the MM only carved out four squares, regardless of speed. I mean I'm going to be there getting the ore anyway.

I'm with you on combat actually to an extent, lots of the problems I think could be solved simply by having aimable melee weapons.

But if you're referring to the whole AP and tier balance issues than that's definitely a beta problem, the tech and weapon balance is banjaxed currently, I think the combat will see a steep increase in interestingness once you can find guns and weapons of various levels of power rather than 'one shot' and 'does nothing at all'

The AI needs much tweaks, although from what you're saying you haven't gotten past the whole 'body slam' and 'charge' phase, since at my teir there are creatures that puke blood and leave acid landmines alongside their usual predictable melee attacks. I think the AI needs much more readable attacks and much less 'touch of death'

I think you're being dramatically judgmental however, for now I'm willing to concede a few flaws on the basis that this seems to be a pretty good beta rather than a notch tier game of update grab rear end.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I feel like the core of the combat (the movement, the deliberateness of the attacks, how telegraphed enemy attacks are, the hitbox shape and timing, etc.) is sound and they just need to tweak the numbers to make more sense/scale better, add more enemy types and fix how tanky the bosses are.

To each his own though i guess.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

What exactly is the USCM anyway? I haven't found any of their facilities yet.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I mean, yeah, MC and Terraria are pretty pointless too, but there's still that social aspect for the former. In Terraria, at least your actions have major consequences on your world. This game is devoid of both. Instead of changing anything in the star system you've been bumping around on for the past 5 hours, each boss just opens up a new one full of cookie cutter worlds for you to bump around in for another 5 hours.

Oh no its like by vastly increasing the explorable world they made your contributions less meaningful?!

I think I can live with it somehow

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

I know the whole pick/axe thing has been a genre staple since Minecraft but I feel like it can all be collapsed into the MM device and be functionally the same, like instead of crafting a pickax you craft a blue plasma projector and you apply it to your MM and you now have a stone pickax,

And just replace durability with some sort of battery or something that needs replaced every so often (downside is it wouldn't be as handy as using ores to repair.)

EDIT:

Meis posted:

The organization surviving humans belong to/are prisoners of.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Why are people holding up terraria's monsters as some example of good monsters/AI? I haven't played much of 1.1, but the monster were mostly generic things like eyeballs, slimes, and bats. As far as behaviors go it was shoot at you, run at you, or burrow through the ground at you. I admit the monsters in Starbound could use a little work but I just can't see how anyone would say terraria is better.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This guy is actually making valid points.

I've put hundreds of hours into Minecraft and Terraria, but maybe this game isn't for me, but after putting 17 hours into it, I'm convinced that it needs a major overhaul and a lot of things need to be taken back to the drawing board:
That's partially why this game is in beta, and it saddens me to see so many people be all :qqsay: about things being changed or overhauled or, gently caress forbid, made easier to deal with.

quote:

1. The combat sucks. In fact, it is terrible. The enemies that this game generates are devoid by design of any originality or personality, being that they are entirely random. Despite the developer focusing so hard on making unlimited random monsters, they only thought to throw in a few basic attack patterns and combat really follows a handful of basic strategies. The boss fights are a boring slog and the temptation to cheese them is way too great, and way too easy. It's lazy Minecraft combat. Reduce the number of hostile encounters and work to generate enemies that require some strategy to counter. Give combat some adrenaline and weight instead of just being an inconvenience or stepping stone to the next set of planets or some piece of furniture.
The enemy variety is really only three types: ground, flyer, NPC. The armor system is also utter trash at the moment, but that part is being addressed.

quote:

2. The random planets also all feel the same. It doesn't matter what kind of world you're on, jungle/forest/snow, whatever, there are no hazards unique to each planet. Nothing really varies except for temperature. Add some threats, hell, just environments, unique to each planet. Is there any reason why a planet that's entirely forests shouldn't have a gigantic tree canopy that I can walk around in? Why do I not die of shock and hypothermia when I fall into freezing water? Why can I even breathe on a moon which obviously has no atmosphere?
Requiring an airsuit isn't in the game yet, so moons work as they do currently. They're also actually debating whether high heat convection should be an issue (it should be.)

quote:

3. The universe is massive, and yet devoid of real challenges. Because of the formerly mentioned two points, there is no real challenge or difficulty to the game. There is no risk/reward for going to harder planets before you can handle them. You can easily grind on easier planets or find a merchant to buy a good weapon from after grinding some pixels. The game is one huge grind. Maybe this is likely to be fixed, but real rewards need to come from some sort of quest mechanic with actual challenges.
I agree wholeheartedly. Also, magically getting recipes when you upgrade your nav computer when makes no sense when you have all the tech available to create those items already.

quote:

4. There is no point or benefit to building or settling a planet. Don't lie to me, you may have a few bonsai gardens here and there, but really you live out of your ship, which is the same shape/size as everybody else's, and all of your important stuff is in there because it can be. Add some kind of settlement mechanic, let me start an Apex settlement Dwarf Fortress style or something which I then have to defend from Florans or whoever. Having all of your resource/crafting buildings be unlimited fuel, featherweight furniture pieces is boring too and has been all done before (Minecraft, Terraria).
That's something that hasn't yet been implemented, actually.

quote:

5. Your character feels like it has the power of a god, yet exists in a bunch of artificial handcuffs. I'm not talking about the "cave man tier" debate, because that's entirely aside from the issue. There are quadrillions of planets, and yet you're limited to picking them apart 2x2 and 3x3? Why can't you build a laser and turn the thing into a crater? Why can't you terraform it? Let us have some fun with the planets instead of them just being Terraria world after Terraria world.
Yeah, there's really no reason why you couldn't upgrade your matter manipulator into a better pickaxe or a reality-shaping tool of creation.

quote:

I've got more gripes, but basically this game is boring to me. It's a Minecraft/Terraria me-too, and it doesn't really bring anything new to the table besides ~*~wacky random aliens~*~. The only aspects of the game that have any character are the races and their settlements, objects, back-stories and conversations. So why do I have to look for hours on my own or go to a Google Doc to find any of this interesting content? Make dealing with other races a bigger part of the game. Make settlements have names and weights and economies instead of just being cookie-cutter clones of the next one. Just in general, make my actions feel like they have some consequences or effect on the larger world. Until that's done, this game is just basically lonely, pointless masturbation.
A lot of that stuff is "currently planned but we'll work on that after we get all the kinks and basic engine stuff ironed out" and I agree with that implementation logic, from a designer/programmer perspective.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

DrManiac posted:

Why are people holding up terraria's monsters as some example of good monsters/AI? I haven't played much of 1.1, but the monster were mostly generic things like eyeballs, slimes, and bats. As far as behaviors go it was shoot at you, run at you, or burrow through the ground at you. I admit the monsters in Starbound could use a little work but I just can't see how anyone would say terraria is better.

I'm absolutely not. I'm disappointed that the combat isn't any better or doesn't have any more point than Minecraft and Terraria. The combat is easily the worst aspect of both of those games. However, it sounds like the devs are going to address this.

I know that a lot of this stuff will be inevitably addressed or fleshed out, and that the beta is essentially a tech demo. Maybe I'm just jaded after what happened with Minecraft, Cubeworld, Project Zomboid, and every other indie title that releases in early beta, and despite being incredibly ambitious ends up in development hell :shrug:. I certainly have more confidence in Chucklefish though. This early product is at least pretty stable and they've given themselves a good engine to work with.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 8, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

DrManiac posted:

It's actually only one people.

Also I think once there is some more dramatic variations on creatures the 'issue' will clear itself up. I mean I already found a world where if you poked your head down the wrong hole you would be oneshotted by the six flame-thrower mouthed turtles inside.

Or the time I thought I was being shot at because the birds had a machinegun power

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

And just replace durability with some sort of battery or something that needs replaced every so often (downside is it wouldn't be as handy as using ores to repair.)

Yeah I like that. I guess what I'm saying isn't a totally uncommon sentiment, but all of the mechanical functions of the handheld tools could be reskinned to collapse into an all-in-one tool. You could even replace the ore-repair with turning relevant-metal bars into specific batteries (Iron and copper being the first two makes a lot of sense) but I feel like having the workbench produce a literal handheld pickax is only there because it's visually iconic to the genre. The Matter Manipulator has a lot of potential and I hope they realize it at some point in development.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Meis posted:

Courtesy of reddit.

Also, seems like there are no character limits to your player name:

(gorilla warfare macro, for the curious)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Working with a sample size of Terraria, Minecraft, and Starbound, this isn't a family of games known for good combat. Really the best time I've had with combat out of the three is Starbound so far. I haven't been bothering with armor at all and just try to keep the best shield I can. Doing it that way makes the combat somewhat reminiscent of Dark Souls in that if you aren't a little patient and rely on your shield to keep you alive you're going to get your poo poo wrecked by just about everything you see.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I really want to see a digging enemy type implemented so you can't wall them off (maybe they can only get through dirt/lower materials so they don't eat your structures.)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This guy is actually making valid points.

I'm not saying he isn't. Just that everything he's complained about can be explained by "it's a beta" as the devs have every one of those things listed as things they want to improve upon.

I actually didn't know they were working on settlements though, have a link for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I'm not saying he isn't. Just that everything he's complained about can be explained by "it's a beta" as the devs have every one of those things listed as things they want to improve upon.

I actually didn't know they were working on settlements though, have a link for that?

There are no hylotl settlements because the ocean biome currently doesn't exist and they live exclusively underwater.

For all you viewers at home that means that there is going to be underwater enemies as well before they're finished.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 8, 2013

• Locked thread