Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Varinn posted:

Replying to someones list of reasonable complaints with "Ugh, its just a beta, dude!!!" is beyond useless. The whole point of the beta is to discuss what works and what doesn't, even if those things are core mechanics. We're super lucky that Tiy and co. seem to be pulling a reverse notch and are actually willing to completely overhaul big systems, so instead of saying "dont complain, itll be fixed later!! beta!!" instead discuss the reasons why stuff works or doesn't!

Except most of the complaints are quality of life things that can be added when the games major systems are fixed and set in stone first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Famous TV Dad posted:

Is there any good way to get gold? I can barely find any.

Dig deep on higher level moons (moons rarely get as hard to dig as other planets) or snow planets. Gold is only in small pockets and doesn't have giant veins like other ores.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

XP bug? I wasn't aware this game even had XP.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

For instance, I totally agree with the lack of biome diversity. Once you get past the aesthetics, of which there are a ton of rad ones, MECHANICALLY they all function pretty much the same. There needs to be more biome specific, or even planet-type specific, environmental features, even maybe wildly different styles of terrain generation.

Verranicus posted:

Except most of the complaints are quality of life things that can be added when the games major systems are fixed and set in stone first.

Stuff like biome differentiation and monster mechanical diversity are pretty core issues!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but if you're spelunking and you want to dig in a pool of water you can dig to the bottom, right-click and knock a hole in the background and the water will all drain out that hole.

e: I guess it only does this up to a certain depth.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 8, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Above Our Own posted:

Anyone have a TL40 planet with Gun Sellers?

Same question here but for TL20.

And do enemies ever drop guns or is it just certain races?

maketakunai posted:

Shields absolutely block melee attacks just fine, I run around planets with a shield out and just hit block right before I walk through enemies :)

There must be hidden stats for them then. I tried a shield from a TL20 planet and it blocked stuff in the Alpha sector but on a TL20 planet enemies hit me right through it. Maybe for reduced damage but I still died in one hit because yeah, the armor progression is rough when you have snow infantry gear and can't find/make anything better. :sigh:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ess posted:

I think they mean Windows XP.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Ess posted:

Talking about Windows XP. Some users have had trouble with it apparently.

Edit: drat it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Varinn posted:

Stuff like biome differentiation and monster mechanical diversity are pretty core issues!

More diversity is not a core mechanic.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Varinn posted:

Replying to someones list of reasonable complaints with "Ugh, its just a beta, dude!!!" is beyond useless. The whole point of the beta is to discuss what works and what doesn't, even if those things are core mechanics. We're super lucky that Tiy and co. seem to be pulling a reverse notch and are actually willing to completely overhaul big systems, so instead of saying "dont complain, itll be fixed later!! beta!!" instead discuss the reasons why stuff works or doesn't!

Throwing vitriol and claiming everything is 'masturbatory' this or 'lovely' that based on personal opinion backed up by paragraphs of shitpost doesn't count as 'reasonable complaint'

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mr Sulu, set phazers to EPIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYud6j4e1-0

:gowron:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

There must be hidden stats for them then. I tried a shield from a TL20 planet and it blocked stuff in the Alpha sector but on a TL20 planet enemies hit me right through it. Maybe for reduced damage but I still died in one hit because yeah, the armor progression is rough when you have snow infantry gear and can't find/make anything better. :sigh:

Shields can drop as low as 15 armor class below planet level, so enjoy your shield lottery.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Control Volume posted:

More diversity is not a core mechanic.

It is when the core mechanic is "theres infinite worlds!" and all the worlds function exactly the same.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Talking about Windows XP. Some users have had trouble with it apparently.

Edit: drat it.

Verranicus posted:

I think they mean Windows XP.

Oh, duh. It's been such a long time since I've used Windows XP I forgot it was a thing.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

And do enemies ever drop guns or is it just certain races?

The only good way to determine how good a shield is right now is remembering where you got it and note where it stops being useful.
Also the only enemy so far that drops guns are miniboss mobs and I think some NPCs.

Varinn posted:

For instance, I totally agree with the lack of biome diversity. Once you get past the aesthetics, of which there are a ton of rad ones, MECHANICALLY they all function pretty much the same. There needs to be more biome specific, or even planet-type specific, environmental features, even maybe wildly different styles of terrain generation.

There are actually biomes that are mechanically different, like toxic flower biomes having a lot of poison water ponds.
Also nice title.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Varinn posted:

It is when the core mechanic is "theres infinite worlds!" and all the worlds function exactly the same.

These are the sorts of things that can be worked on after the game itself is working and most of the content is in. What they have now is more than good enough for the stage they're at.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Varinn posted:

You hear that everyone, better scrap fixing teir balance and gameplay, this guy wants more colored animals stat.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
One very obvious issue with the randomized planets and monsters is the depths of it all. Right now everything looks random but doesn't feel random at all. There need to be planets without life, or with only a certain kind of life and so forth. Hell, a few planets should have anomalies like low gravity, abundant mineral deposits or even really weird stuff like upside-down lightning storms, blood rain or a crust made of steel. Those things aren't very hard to implement, so I'm certain they'll come up with interesting things.

I'm sure other people already mentioned this but it bears repeating.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
I love how simply plain humans are, particularly with their origin story.

Hylotl: On a mission to spread peace and technology.
Glitch: Gained self awareness.
Avian: Trying to disprove the dominant religion.
Floran: In search of a more honorable hunt.
Apex: Resisting their authoritarian government.
Human: Space tentacle killed everyone else. Oh well.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

qnqnx posted:

There are actually biomes that are mechanically different, like toxic flower biomes having a lot of poison water ponds.
Also nice title.

Apparently there's magma planets too, in the higher tiers? It just feels like for how diverse some of the planets ive been to are, when I look back at how I handled them, its way too similar. If there IS that kind of mechanical diversity, it needs to be spread through all the tiers more evenly.

And yeah, I was a MENACE for those three pages, I guess.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Varinn posted:

Apparently there's magma planets too, in the higher tiers? It just feels like for how diverse some of the planets ive been to are, when I look back at how I handled them, its way too similar. If there IS that kind of mechanical diversity, it needs to be spread through all the tiers more evenly.

Will we have the pleasure of your tunnel visionedm incoherent and rapidfire shitposting for another three pages today?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

soapydishwater posted:

I love how simply plain humans are, particularly with their origin story.

Hylotl: On a mission to spread peace and technology.
Glitch: Gained self awareness.
Avian: Trying to disprove the dominant religion.
Floran: In search of a more honorable hunt.
Apex: Resisting their authoritarian government.
Human: Space tentacle killed everyone else. Oh well.

Hylotl: The Superior (Fish)People. Though I will say this; the Impervium tier of Hylotl racial armor is... well. I don't want to say ugly, but man. What the hell is it supposed to be?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Varinn posted:

Yeah infinite area was Minecraft's gimmick too, and while they're still adding new biomes and monsters and blocks, the game has stagnated without mods because more diversity is not a core mechanic.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a thread for four-packs? Reading these posts makes me want to play, and I'd be willing to go in on one (unless someone already has, then I'll just get a copy off them)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Please tell us more about how different colored dirt is insufficient amusement for one of such grand ambition.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Yeah infinite area was Minecraft's gimmick too, and while they're still adding new biomes and monsters and blocks, the game has stagnated without mods because more diversity is not a core mechanic.

Actually, minecraft's biomes in the most recent patch are almost all mostly cosmetic! They introduce pretty new colors, new types of dirt, sand and trees that function mechanically the same but aesthetically different! And people still prefer the mods that forgo that in lieu of adding more actual mechanical content. So yeah!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Clever Spambot posted:

I feel like the core of the combat (the movement, the deliberateness of the attacks, how telegraphed enemy attacks are, the hitbox shape and timing, etc.) is sound and they just need to tweak the numbers to make more sense/scale better, add more enemy types and fix how tanky the bosses are.

To each his own though i guess.

I really don't agree with this, I feel like the enemy attacks are barely telegraphed at all, which is my biggest beef with the combat right now. The enemies that leap at you, sure it's easy to tell, but there are actual attack animations on the charge ones that I feel like are basically impossible to see and block.

Varinn posted:

Sick custom title dude, wear that with pride.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

Please tell us more about how different colored dirt is insufficient amusement for one of such grand ambition.

I actually preferred the idea of keeping all items of the same type (fine sand, dry dirt, dirt, sand, stone) in a separate single category for each one, and as you find colors it unlocks them to be used, while keeping the overall count a shared number.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Hit boxes, at least with regards to the bow (and I presume guns) are pretty bad. The upper third or half of monsters that walk upright doesn't seem to be covered.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I agree, mechanical differences between biomes are important.

The difference being I'm not going to poo poo up five to six pages explaining why we should do that right now instead of fixing the things that are currently getting fixed.

I mean honestly do you really need to burn to death on a desert planet when the tech tree is so hosed up you likely will need to go to that same planet to get the materials needed to make sun protection equipment? Would you like to choke to death on moon class planets when there is absolutely no ground work in place for preventing choking to death because they focused more on the texture of the dirt at the side of the road than on making the actual road?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I agree, mechanical differences between biomes are important.

The difference being I'm not going to poo poo up five to six pages explaining why we should do that right now instead of fixing the things that are currently getting fixed.

What. I'm not saying anything like that? I'm super hyped for the combat overhaul, and the new weapons should be interesting. I have no idea where you're getting any of that from, aside from this lunatic fuckin' title I got I guess

Motherfucker posted:

I mean honestly do you really need to burn to death on a desert planet when the tech tree is so hosed up you likely will need to go to that same planet to get the materials needed to make sun protection equipment? Would you like to choke to death on moon class planets when there is absolutely no ground work in place for preventing choking to death because they focused more on the texture of the dirt at the side of the road than on making the actual road?

Who said mechanical features of biomes have to be instantly deadly, at all?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Hit boxes, at least with regards to the bow (and I presume guns) are pretty bad. The upper third or half of monsters that walk upright doesn't seem to be covered.

This is pretty annoying and I hope that it gets fixed soon. I think it's just that some bipedal monsters have heads that are extremely huge, they seem to have a lot more size variety than the quadrupeds.

Motherfucker posted:

Good poo poo dude, forums poster Motherfucker. Keep me updated on what you want us to talk about in this thread. It's important to me and the way I live my life.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It's also irritating because they fit in deceptivly small gaps! :argh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Different monsters per biome on a planet would be a nice, fairly simple, addition. Have a few common to the whole planet and some that only appear in certain environments.

Also some planets having a small "ice cap" for variety.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Varinn posted:

I actually preferred the idea of keeping all items of the same type (fine sand, dry dirt, dirt, sand, stone) in a separate single category for each one, and as you find colors it unlocks them to be used, while keeping the overall count a shared number.
I tried turning all my sand into glass earlier, an I was left with about a dozen blocks left over since none of the various colors had more than three units.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Varinn posted:

Actually, minecraft's biomes in the most recent patch are almost all mostly cosmetic! They introduce pretty new colors, new types of dirt, sand and trees that function mechanically the same but aesthetically different! And people still prefer the mods that forgo that in lieu of adding more actual mechanical content.

So yes, you proved my point?

They also added a variety of different bosses that are all mechanically diverse but are still lovely because combat itself (a core mechanic) is lovely. The Nether is a mechanically different biome that no one uses because there's nothing in there that changes core gameplay. They added stairs, the only thing that changed is that you don't have to jump sometimes. They added redstone lamps, they're torches that turn on and off. They added horses, you move faster. None of these things are actually interesting by themselves because at the end of the day, all you have are small variations of things you could do before. This is because more diversity is not a core gameplay mechanic.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Different monsters per biome on a planet would be a nice, fairly simple, addition. Have a few common to the whole planet and some that only appear in certain environments.

Also some planets having a small "ice cap" for variety.

Making certain monster "parts" unique to certain biomes would be interesting, too, and might help biomes AND monsters feel more unique.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
What am I supposed to do to get past Tier 2? The armor is worthless and I don't know what I'm looking for to advance.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

What am I supposed to do to get past Tier 2? The armor is worthless and I don't know what I'm looking for to advance.

All armor but snow infantry is worthless at the mo.

Next patch hopefully will fix it. :shrug:

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Good poo poo dude, forums poster Motherfucker. Keep me updated on what you want us to talk about in this thread. It's important to me and the way I live my life.

Will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mystery Prize posted:

You have to build a bot, iirc. Check the metalworking station as I think it sets you on the right path (I know a brain extractor tool is involved.)

• Locked thread