Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So how do I add songs to the instruments we own? Is there a file I can edit somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Reddit (*gasp*) has a pretty good thread about current issues and design directions. I'm honestly surprised the feedback is of such high quality.

I honestly think the game is in good hands with the devs and the community outside the official forums.

Yeah, for all the posting about the issues, I have to say I'm really impressed with not just the patch turnaround, but the quality of fixes, and how receptive they are to that stuff. It's an insanely good sign.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:911:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Fat_Cow posted:

So how do I add songs to the instruments we own? Is there a file I can edit somewhere?

Go to your "starbound directory"/assets/songs, in there all the abc files are stored that are used by the instruments. Place new abc files there and enjoy your custom music. Just google abc music files, you'll find plenty, there are even two links in the OP to good sources for them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kloa posted:

How does the wiring tool work? I can't seem to drag the colored icons anywhere. Do the eye/hand scanners not work currently?

I think you need the actual wire item to use it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Varinn posted:

Yeah, for all the posting about the issues, I have to say I'm really impressed with not just the patch turnaround, but the quality of fixes, and how receptive they are to that stuff. It's an insanely good sign.

Honestly the *huge* overhaul? It surprised me. I guess I'm too used to lovely developers like Mecron who refuse to understand when something isn't working. For them to literally rip something this big out of the game, beta or not, is a lot of work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
With how quickly they're doing this overhaul it makes me wonder if they'd already prototyped some alternatives in case the current system didn't work as expected.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I purchased the Silver Tier package and I'm trying to find the extra beta key to give to a friend. What am I doing wrong? The official page says "Coming 2013" but so do a few other things that are implemented in the game already.

Would love to get my buddies in on this!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

E-Tank posted:

Honestly the *huge* overhaul? It surprised me. I guess I'm too used to lovely developers like Mecron who refuse to understand when something isn't working. For them to literally rip something this big out of the game, beta or not, is a lot of work.

Oh no, you mentioned the bad word. YOU HAVE DOOMED US ALL, YOU FOOL.

Anyways. All this patching has to be tiring as all hell, too, so cranking out stuff with thousands of people critically watching you has to be anxiety inducing :ohdear:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pakled posted:

Is there anyone who doesn't use either a shield or a fuckoff magic two-hander? I've found using anything other than shield + one-handed gun/sword or purple two-handers that drop from mini-bosses to be impossible not to die a million times with. For me at least, these seem to the most viable weapon choices and I'm curious if anyone's had success with other combat styles.

I recently came across a couple really nice 1-handers, and it can be a nice setup. It's tricky because you have to get so close to hit, but you really savage an enemy with double-blows. You also get twice as many weapon effects, which gives you a lot of utility. You can use a poison and a projectile. Right now the risk is too high since you're getting one/two-shot, but with better balancing it should be pretty viable to get in close and tear poo poo up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

yancy2010 posted:

I purchased the Silver Tier package and I'm trying to find the extra beta key to give to a friend. What am I doing wrong? The official page says "Coming 2013" but so do a few other things that are implemented in the game already.

Would love to get my buddies in on this!

Those tiers do not come with extra beta keys. The beta key was for yourself, you already used it. "Copy of the game + beta invite" basically meant you got the game when it came out and got access to the beta.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Those tiers do not come with extra beta keys. The beta key was for yourself, you already used it. "Copy of the game + beta invite" basically meant you got the game when it came out and got access to the beta.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. The layout on the humble bundle site does make it looks like you get a +1 beta invite.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

yancy2010 posted:

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. The layout on the humble bundle site does make it looks like you get a +1 beta invite.

You are literally the first person who has posted about thinking that, so I'm not so sure.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I went through one of those complexes, it was sort of annoying because there was absolutely no loot in it from what I recall.

This game needs a lot more treasure chests to spawn, mining is almost completly useless because there is absolutely nothing good underground

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Rather Dashing posted:

I think one thing that we can all agree on is that that loving laugh during Chucklefish's logo on start up needs to go asap.
What, no, I need that to get into character for sssstabbings

E-Tank posted:

Not only is their willingness to burn everything to make improvements an excellent sign, it is amazing watching some people desperately scrabbling to save their stuff, POSSIBLY even to the point of not updating. Incidentally, they are also the ones who jumped in for EARLY GAME instead of "EARLY BETA YOU WILL LOSE poo poo" without following any of the news at all, and are shocked that everyone occupies mirror universes ("Dude, that is literally working as intended").

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tengames posted:

This game needs a lot more treasure chests to spawn, mining is almost completly useless because there is absolutely nothing good underground

Yeah, the rare veins of stuff are absurdly rare. The loot tables for gold and platinum require you to go way, way down on high alpha or beta planets. By comparison once you get to gamma there's giant veins of titanium running around since it's common.

You can edit oredistributions.leveltables (probably) to allow for more of certain ores.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 8, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yeah, the rare veins of stuff are absurdly rare. The loot tables for gold and platinum require you to go way, way down on high alpha or beta planets. By comparison once you get to gamma there's giant veins of titanium running around since it's common.

How I see it should be:
Gold: rare on high alpha, common on beta
Platinum: rare on low beta, common on high beta
Titanium: rare on high beta, common on gamma

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

I went through one of those complexes, it was sort of annoying because there was absolutely no loot in it from what I recall.

My starter planet had one of these poop complexes. Was same disappointing zero loot.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

kloa posted:

How does the wiring tool work? I can't seem to drag the colored icons anywhere. Do the eye/hand scanners not work currently?

You have to link the two colours together by left clicking, not dragging. Left click a red circle and then left click on a blue circle to link it. So far all I've been able to do with it is connect doors to eye/palm scanners. To unwire something, click on the connection that appears between the two circles.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's the deal with this big overhaul? This thread moves retardedly fast

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

How I see it should be:
Gold: rare on high alpha, common on low beta
Platinum: common on high beta

There's no real changes inside a sector for distribution as far as I can determine from the loot table. 1-10 gets one thing and 11-20 gets another and so on. Once you get to 31 there's different distributions for 31-37. The Alpha/Beta sector distribution is almost identical except for the distribution of iron.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the deal with this big overhaul? This thread moves retardedly fast

Mostly armor/damage mechanic changes, also probably a wipe of your character and world saves.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I feel like the armor tiers are backwards between gold and steel racial armors. Gold is so hard to find but steel is just two mega-common ores, you need to suffer through the stingy one before you can basically instantly make the next tier up with the more abundant ore. I'm glad that the winter Hoth suit is so easy to make and carries you so far, though even that is really weird, like why make copper armor when you could get a bunch of leather? This is all stuff that's going to be addressed though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Why isn't there an abc file for Danger Zone...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

There isn't one for The Touch either. LOTRO seems to be full of angsty teens going by a lot of the music choices.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

http://www.thefatlute.eu/rapid/view_song/h/8162

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Fat Lute should also probably be added to the OP with the other links.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Maybe it's just because I went on a spelunking trip to the creamy lava center of a planet, but I never had a problem finding gold, even while stuck in Alpha sector. Gold and silver both tend to spawn in fairly huge veins once you go past a certain depth.

I guess people just don't like cave-diving? It does use up resources in the form of torches and a pick and your generic block type of choice, but it's got about as much biome diversity as exploring surface levels. Maybe even moreso, considering that one of the layers I had to dig through on a desert planet was made entirely of ice and snow.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Fish Noise posted:

Not only is their willingness to burn everything to make improvements an excellent sign, it is amazing watching some people desperately scrabbling to save their stuff, POSSIBLY even to the point of not updating. Incidentally, they are also the ones who jumped in for EARLY GAME instead of "EARLY BETA YOU WILL LOSE poo poo" without following any of the news at all, and are shocked that everyone occupies mirror universes ("Dude, that is literally working as intended").

Wait... so the universe isn't randomly generated? I really haven't "followed" the game or anything. I liked Terraria so I chipped in here, I don't really pay attention to reddit/devblogs/etc. It doesn't bother me at all, I actually think it's nifty.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sicarius posted:

Wait... so the universe isn't randomly generated? I really haven't "followed" the game or anything. I liked Terraria so I chipped in here, I don't really pay attention to reddit/devblogs/etc. It doesn't bother me at all, I actually think it's nifty.

It's technically random, but the coordinates you enter are the seed for the random generation, so the same planets will always spawn at the same coordinates.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

In regards to Curse being douchebags and all that, what's the big deal with them? The only influence I've seen them have on sites they've bought up have been positive ones, although I don't know anything about their big WoW-related addon/site thing and all the drama about that.

Either way their wiki for Starbound is infinitely more useful and updated than the "official" one so I'll probably use it regardless.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Maybe it's just because I went on a spelunking trip to the creamy lava center of a planet, but I never had a problem finding gold, even while stuck in Alpha sector. Gold and silver both tend to spawn in fairly huge veins once you go past a certain depth.

I guess people just don't like cave-diving? It does use up resources in the form of torches and a pick and your generic block type of choice, but it's got about as much biome diversity as exploring surface levels. Maybe even moreso, considering that one of the layers I had to dig through on a desert planet was made entirely of ice and snow.

I've found gold veins of about 5-7 tiles and they were all fairly far apart from each other, even at the lowest depths.

Gold armor requiring a million billion gold bars doesn't help either.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

sicarius posted:

It is random. The "coordinates" of every planet acts as the random seed that generates the planet. So everyone will find the same planet if they go to the same coordinates.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

sicarius posted:

It is, but planet coordinates are the seed for the random generator, so plugging someone else's coordinates into your game causes it to generate the same thing theirs did. I think it's cool as poo poo

EFB a million times over :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So, if the coordinates generate the planets, does that mean that every content update is going to wipe and rebuild the universe, or is a version of a planet "saved" when you visit it so it won't change if new terrain or dungeon data is added?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

So, if the coordinates generate the planets, does that mean that every content update is going to wipe and rebuild the universe, or is a version of a planet "saved" when you visit it so it won't change if new terrain or dungeon data is added?

It probably depends on what's being patched. Like, I would imagine a patch that tweaked world generation would change the seeds.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Has the "pathing" bug been reported yet? You can make enemies stop moving and attacking if they step on a block high step with a two block high "wall" in front of them.

Also, while it might get different once the story mode gets implemented, gating and progression seems a bit too open-ended right now. It feels like after the first half of tier1, the levels of weapons, armor, enemies and ore get out of sync. There's basically no reason to stay at the lower level planets in a tier. You can easily cheese away to the highest level planet to get fat loot, go back to a lower level planet and one-shoot everything while mining up the ore needed to progress. Idk, maybe add levels and requirements on loot like a RPG would be the easiest way to remedy this?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Not to presume things about how other people play the game, but I think maybe some people who are saying that spelunking is unsatisfying haven't tried digging deeper. Starbound does have fuckhuge cave systems with neat treasure and ores and stuff inside of them, but unlike Terraria, they rarely seem to be linked to the holes in the surface. I think the game would be better if you didn't *always* have to dig to reach the interesting underground parts. So people check caves linked to the surface, find nothing of interest, and assume the underground is barren. Fortunately, the system Tiy was talking about earlier of making harder monsters and better loot spawn deeper underground will incentiveise digging more.

Rocketlex posted:

Not every content update, but some of them, yeah. Part of the beta is expecting fairly frequent character/world wipes. It's going to get less frequent as we get into later stages of the beta and they're going to keep them to a minimum once the game is out of beta.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imaginary Friend posted:

Has the "pathing" bug been reported yet? You can make enemies stop moving and attacking if they step on a block high step with a two block high "wall" in front of them.

I've passed it on to Molly for you, so they should know about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Pakled posted:

Not every content update, but some of them, yeah. Part of the beta is expecting fairly frequent character/world wipes. It's going to get less frequent as we get into later stages of the beta and they're going to keep them to a minimum once the game is out of beta.

I was more wondering if that will continue to happen after release, since they intend to continue to release new content even afterwards.

The best way to do it would probably be to make the game save your "Home" planet. When new content comes, other planets you've visited may be overwritten, but your Home planet will remain the same.

Aurain posted:

I've passed it on to Molly for you, so they should know about it now.

I kinda like that enemy pathing is imperfect, though. Being able to outwit and trap monsters makes the combat about more than just having big enough numbers.

• Locked thread