Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

First thing that came to mind:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like the wooden Cyberman. Is The Doctor holding a Dalek plunger?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like a Dalek eye-stalk.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Umbra Dubium posted:

It looks like it's made out of modelling clay. Which it probably is.

I think the idea is cool, it's just been executed very lazily. It follows the design too closely, when it would be better approximated with the shapes wood can actually be made of if it's supposed to be a crudely fashioned Cyberman.

This.

I love the idea of a wooden Cyberman, but the execution leaves a lot wanting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WE WILL EX-TER-MIN-ATE SAN-TA! CHRIST-MAS IS CAN-CELLED!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

toochilled posted:

This.

I love the idea of a wooden Cyberman, but the execution leaves a lot wanting.

Sub-par effects in Doctor Who? Verity must be rolling in her grave.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Senor Tron posted:

Sub-par effects in Doctor Who? Verity must be rolling in her grave.

Ironically, it would look better if they had actually made it out of spare MDF and bits of dowelling left over in the workshop.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Astroman posted:

WE WILL EX-TER-MIN-ATE SAN-TA! CHRIST-MAS IS CAN-CELLED!

Could it be? Is Doctor Who finally going to do an episode in which Daleks learn the true meaning of Christmas?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

qntm posted:

Could it be? Is Doctor Who finally going to do an episode in which Daleks learn the true meaning of Christmas?

AND A VE-RY MER-RY CHRIST-MAS TO AAAAL OF YOU AT HOOOOME

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

AND A VE-RY MER-RY CHRIST-MAS TO AAAAL OF YOU AT HOOOOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBJ5H9m3Sc

PLEASE MAY I HAVE SOME MORE PLUM PUD-DING

AND CUST-ARD

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
UN-LIM-IT-ED RICE PUD-DING!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
THAT'S WHAT CHRIST-MAS IS ALL A-BOUT, CHAR-LIE BROWN

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Man, that's the costume Peter Capaldi is going to be wearing when we first see him as The Doctor. :ohdear:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moff sure loves monsters made of wood. First the monsters in "Doctor, Widow, Wardrobe" and now the wooden Cyberman.

Stone ones too, now that I think about it. First, Weeping Angels, then that Stone Dalek in "Big Bang"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The villain for the 2014 Christmas special:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

AND CUST-ARD

It always takes exactly one Earth year to forget how awful that is. Like a choir of Adrics backed by the Disneyland Small World band.

You monster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The "have they no workhouses" speech in A Christmas Carol was practically written for Daleks.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Forktoss posted:

AND CUST-ARD

IT WOULD NOT BE CHRIST-MAS WITH-OUT MY PLUM PUD-DING. :unsmigghh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SENSORS INDICATE THAT THIS PACK-AGE CONTAINS A WOOL SWEATER. EXCHANGE. EXCHANGE! EXCHANGE!!!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

THE HU-MAN CHILD WILL SHOOT HIS EYE OUT!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
YOU ARE A MEAN ONE, MIS-TER GRINCH

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Davros1 posted:

Moff sure loves monsters made of wood. First the monsters in "Doctor, Widow, Wardrobe" and now the wooden Cyberman.

Stone ones too, now that I think about it. First, Weeping Angels, then that Stone Dalek in "Big Bang"

It's almost as if he's running out of ideas. Doesn't he look tired?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose Mengelez posted:

It's almost as if he's running out of ideas. Doesn't he look tired?

You're so going to miss him when he's gone.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is anything known from any reputable sources about when Moffat's stepping off for the next showrunner, and who that might be?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rita Repulsa posted:

Is anything known from any reputable sources about when Moffat's stepping off for the next showrunner, and who that might be?

Nope and Mark Gatiss if anyone at this point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm happy today because not only did I remember that Ben Wheatley was directing an episode. I then looked up Wikipedia and saw that he was directing a 2 parter.

If you're unfamiliar with his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqkqF--v1tg

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

computer parts posted:

Nope and Mark Gatiss if anyone at this point.
I wouldn't mind having Richard Curtis as show runner for a few years. I guess it depends on how highly invested he is in his movie directing career.

Realistically, it's probably going to be someone like Chris Chibnall. His episodes sucked and Torchwood under his tenure was mediocre at best, but enough people are going gaga over Broadchurch that some would consider him an automatic choice.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I'm happy today because not only did I remember that Ben Wheatley was directing an episode. I then looked up Wikipedia and saw that he was directing a 2 parter.

If you're unfamiliar with his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqkqF--v1tg

Or the oddest film of 2013, A Field in England, set during the English Civil War, a weird black and white mushroom trip of a film, with a really rather startling and inexplicably terrifying scene set in the middle of it. He's very good at telling stories that feel both steeped in mythology and utterly dislocated from reality, it's great. Should be a good fit for a very odd Doctor Who story.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sonance posted:

I wouldn't mind having Richard Curtis as show runner for a few years. I guess it depends on how highly invested he is in his movie directing career.

Realistically, it's probably going to be someone like Chris Chibnall. His episodes sucked and Torchwood under his tenure was mediocre at best, but enough people are going gaga over Broadchurch that some would consider him an automatic choice.

I wish they'd revive the script editor/head producer model. Moffat would be great if his sole area of responsibility was the writing, but the production side has been a mess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I wish they'd revive the script editor/head producer model. Moffat would be great if his sole area of responsibility was the writing, but the production side has been a mess.

What could have been, if Moffat could manage a budget.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

marktheando posted:

Was that meant to have appeared in one of the past episodes?

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

That was the original design for Nephew from The Doctor's Wife, until they ran out of money and had to use an Ood instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoops, wrong DW thread...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

marktheando posted:

Finally! Ginger hair!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

I actually think this worked out for the better. The concept art for both Nephew and Uncle are way too sinister looking for the tone of the episode, you are supposed to know something weird is up but you are not supposed to immediately see these guys as threatening (and they aren't themselves obviously).

That also seems like a hard concept to get right with anything short of a movie budget. I could easily see this going the other way and this having gotten made only for people to complain about how cheesy the rubber mask looked.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
New pics from The Time of the Doctor!

It's a motherfucking Monoid

Mr. Snazz
Nov 15, 2003

...Introducing Mads Mikkelsen as The Doctor?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It does feel right that Matt 'friend to all children' Smith's Doctor gets to be a puppet in a Punch and Judy show for his regeneration episode.

EDIT - Who wants a trailer? Who wants even more creepy voices reciting rhymes about the Doctor dying?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/the-time-of-the-doctor-trailer/

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Barry Foster posted:

It does feel right that Matt 'friend to all children' Smith's Doctor gets to be a puppet in a Punch and Judy show for his regeneration episode.

EDIT - Who wants a trailer? Who wants even more creepy voices reciting rhymes about the Doctor dying?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/the-time-of-the-doctor-trailer/

Getting really sick of all the nursery rhymes everywhere.

• Locked thread