Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Netflix app on my HTC One has been giving me error 41 for the last few days. I've restarted to no avail. Researching it shows that it's usually a connection-related error but I'm connected via wifi to 50 mbps home connection and the app itself / movie browser works fine, it's just when I go to play anything that it gives that error. App store says it's currently up to date. Any ideas?

e: I've tried it with mobile data on / off and that doesn't change anything either.

e2: reinstalling worked. Phone is fairly new and I think the last time it worked was before I did the update to 4.2 or something, guess that update messed up the app?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
The dock.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Is there any way at all to do 'macros' or 'shortcuts' or whatever you want to call them with Swype? An example would be putting in 'syl' and then it would turn into 'see you later'.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just put a folder of the games in your dock?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thermopyle posted:

Wow, this is a really nice launcher. Like Aviate, I like that it's a different take on the launcher concept that is done well.

Yeah I just thought I'd check it out and Action Laucher is pretty sweet. I think I'll use it to replace Nova and will probably get the pro version.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've been searching around but can't find a solution to this. At one point I swear Jorte used to have all the Facebook events that I'd marked myself as 'going' to. Now they've disappeared, and I can't find a way to just get fb events without getting the bombardment of friends' birthdays that completely covers the calendar. Any ideas anyone?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I know it's become cliche but you can do this with Tasker

Nice, thanks! Using this guide, I was able to finagle some custom voice commands. Now, I just need to mess with it some more to make sure it doesn't drain my battery in a matter of hours.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does installing the Hangout apps for my Mac enable me to send SMS text messages from my Mac -> someone's phone? Similar to what iMessage does?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Busy Bee posted:

Does installing the Hangout apps for my Mac enable me to send SMS text messages from my Mac -> someone's phone? Similar to what iMessage does?

Nope.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Busy Bee posted:

Does iMessage actually send texts or does it just send messages to people with iDevices? If it's the latter, then yes, it's exactly the same and you can send messages to anyone who uses Hangouts. If you use Google Voice you can send actual texts to anyone from any of your devices.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have some good recommendations for some rad widgets for my nexus 7?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I really like the default sms app's widget which has a list of all your conversations. Like this (from the Action Launcher tutorial):

However I really don't like the default messaging app.

Is there any widget that will show me a list of my conversations but will let me choose what app to open? I can't find one for the life of me.

PS I've found Action Launcher to be pretty nifty so far.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a suggest Do Not Disturb app? I'm tired of my phone beeping while I am asleep. Preferably something that will have a white list for certain people to get through.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Does iMessage actually send texts or does it just send messages to people with iDevices? If it's the latter, then yes, it's exactly the same and you can send messages to anyone who uses Hangouts. If you use Google Voice you can send actual texts to anyone from any of your devices.

I just use MightyText. Run it on your phone, tablet, and PC (chrome web extension) and it basically syncs with your phone to let you send and receive texts from any of the devices. It uses the phone as a proxy so the phone needs to be online.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

iMessage does not send SMS texts. It goes through Apple's servers. This is precisely the cause of an issue I have due to swapping from an iPhone to a Nexus 5, where people with iPhones' messages don't get to me because Apple still reports my number as an iPhone. Lots of people are affected (pretty much anyone who swapped from an iPhone)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I use Google Voice for texts. My new HTC One with the GV widget worked fine for a few days but now it does not get texts unless I open the GV page from the widget -- it seems like texts aren't being pushed or something?
I have Background Data enabled in the settings, I turned off the "turn off data after phone has been sleeping" setting in the Android settings, any reason GV would stop getting texts?

In the GV settings, there is an option for "Receive Text Messages" with either the GV app or the phone's messaging app. If I use the phone's app, will it get GV texts? I'm willing to use that over the GV widget if it'll work.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

gariig posted:

Is there a suggest Do Not Disturb app? I'm tired of my phone beeping while I am asleep. Preferably something that will have a white list for certain people to get through.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabooze.buzzoff

Look no further. Best $2.50 you can spend. Does it all.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ok, Tasker looks super cool, and I can see the usefulness in theory, but I'm having a complete lack of creativity. Probably because I just switched from a Droid X to a Nexus 5 and am basically used to having a barely functional piece of poo poo as a phone. Anyway, what do you guys use Tasker for?

Also, are there any apps that I really need to have? I've missed the past few years of apps, and I don't even know where to start looking. I don't really play games, I'm mostly looking for cool utilities and such. I grabbed Lux and Woofi from the first post, and both are rad as hell.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm actually using Twilight over Lux, it seems more stable and hasn't been causing crashes/hangs on my rooted devices like Lux was, for whatever reason.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Twilight looks nice going to give it a try. It seems more like f.lux in that you set it and forget it? Lux seems more like a brightness adjuster. Could be wrong either way!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Christoff posted:

Twilight looks nice going to give it a try. It seems more like f.lux in that you set it and forget it? Lux seems more like a brightness adjuster. Could be wrong either way!

What are you trying to do with Lux? I have it set to basically emulate f.lux on PC...automatically grab my position and have it turn on the screen adjuster when sunset hits.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

regulargonzalez posted:

I use Google Voice for texts. My new HTC One with the GV widget worked fine for a few days but now it does not get texts unless I open the GV page from the widget -- it seems like texts aren't being pushed or something?
I have Background Data enabled in the settings, I turned off the "turn off data after phone has been sleeping" setting in the Android settings, any reason GV would stop getting texts?

In the GV settings, there is an option for "Receive Text Messages" with either the GV app or the phone's messaging app. If I use the phone's app, will it get GV texts? I'm willing to use that over the GV widget if it'll work.

I've had this same bullshit problem for months and its infuriating.

The only way I can get texts is to open the app or switch from wifi to mobile data or the reverse.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ten_twentyfour posted:

iMessage does not send SMS texts. It goes through Apple's servers. This is precisely the cause of an issue I have due to swapping from an iPhone to a Nexus 5, where people with iPhones' messages don't get to me because Apple still reports my number as an iPhone. Lots of people are affected (pretty much anyone who swapped from an iPhone)
I suffered from this recently, it turns out you have to remove your phone number from your list of iMessage destinations. Look under Settings > General > Messages > Send & Receive and try to uncheck your phone number. If you can't, then tap on Apple ID above and sign out of iMessage. If that doesn't work, try turning iMessage off completely. Hopefully one of those will work for you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Eh, my girlfriend went from an iphone to a galaxy s4 and all she did was turn off iMessage on her phone before she switched over. Wasn't that hard.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh, my girlfriend went from an iphone to a galaxy s4 and all she did was turn off iMessage on her phone before she switched over. Wasn't that hard.

It's hard to turn iMessage off after you switch over. I was lucky enough to have an iPad still connected, but for others it may not be that easy.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Go RV! posted:

Ok, Tasker looks super cool, and I can see the usefulness in theory, but I'm having a complete lack of creativity. Probably because I just switched from a Droid X to a Nexus 5 and am basically used to having a barely functional piece of poo poo as a phone. Anyway, what do you guys use Tasker for?

Also, are there any apps that I really need to have? I've missed the past few years of apps, and I don't even know where to start looking. I don't really play games, I'm mostly looking for cool utilities and such. I grabbed Lux and Woofi from the first post, and both are rad as hell.

I shake my phone to turn rotation on for five minutes (after checking that the app I was in is no longer open).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Go RV! posted:

You can get accustomed to Tasker (and come up with ideas) by just going through the motions of creating a profile, as if you had a task in mind. Check each category (i.e. Hardware, Sensors, Apps, etc.) to see what you can and cannot use as triggers for a task to perform. As an example, a popular one I see mentioned a lot is "silence if face down, ringer on if face up."

I was playing with it the other day, and came up with "wake device (required "Secure Settings" Tasker plugin) if phone is standing up at a 90 degree angle" but it proved to be a little too useful for its own good, as I dock my phone in that position in the car, and I don't need the screen turning on indefinitely while driving.

I also used another app/plugin, AutoVoice, in conjunction with Tasker to create voice commands for my music player (Poweramp, but would work for any music player.) I wanted to be able to say "next track" (and other commands) while driving to avoid taking my eyes off of the road, but it's proving to be about as practical, since I have to yell my head off for it to pick up my voice above the music.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 9, 2013

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Christoff posted:

I'm going to have to try Twilight too. I like Lux for the f.lux-type color temperature adjustment, but Lux seems to do a poor job at managing brightness, worse than Android's built-in auto brightness stuff for me. I do like its ability to really dim the screen beyond the normal brightness controls, though.. I just feel like I right now I end up manually overriding the brightness setting more than I should have to.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm sure this has been asked already but here goes. Just got a nexus 5, coming from iPhone. The only thing I miss are the little number bubbles over icons telling me how many text messages I missed, etc. Is there a way to get that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you linking the Lux settings? After 3-4 days it's pretty much perfect in my experience.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

enojy posted:

I wanted to be able to say "next track" (and other commands) while driving to avoid taking my eyes off of the road, but it's proving to be about as practical, since I have to yell my head off for it to pick up my voice above the music.

Check out Wave Control- it uses the proximity sensor. The free version is good enough if you just want to change tracks while driving. I don't have to take my eyes off the road, just pass my hand over the sensor to trigger it. Maybe not as practical if you've got a manual, but it works nicely for me.

It also has call controls and the paid version has a bit more extensibility.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you linking the Lux settings? After 3-4 days it's pretty much perfect in my experience.

No, but it looks like I should, thanks for the heads up.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
My gripe with Lux is that it seems to get killed from memory really aggressively if you don't have it run as an ongoing task (which I kind of hate). I ended up uninstalling it on my Razr HD thanks to it often simply not working until launched again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Twilight also "obeys" other apps better, at least in my experience. Having the F.lux esque tint over top of Kindle is a godsend at night.

I'm not sure if my poor experience with Lux was because of running Cyanogenmod or what, but Twilight has been flawless on all my devices, rooted or otherwise.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm sure this has been asked already but here goes. Just got a nexus 5, coming from iPhone. The only thing I miss are the little number bubbles over icons telling me how many text messages I missed, etc. Is there a way to get that?

Nova launcher has a plug in that let's you do this. (Tesla unread, I think.)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

GrAviTy84 posted:

e. ^^ what he said..

There are other ways, but you can use the nova launcher with the unread add on.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Twilight also "obeys" other apps better, at least in my experience. Having the F.lux esque tint over top of Kindle is a godsend at night.

I'm not sure if my poor experience with Lux was because of running Cyanogenmod or what, but Twilight has been flawless on all my devices, rooted or otherwise.

Lux seemed really unnecessarily complicated and finnicky back when I tried it, I'm going to give twilight a go.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I've had this same bullshit problem for months and its infuriating.

The only way I can get texts is to open the app or switch from wifi to mobile data or the reverse.

I ended up fixing mine by uninstalling and reinstalling. Make sure you have "Send texts to my phone" turned OFF in the GV settings in a pc browser (this forwards them to your carrier's text plan).

The only thing I can figure is that upgrading my phone's os to 4.3 borked it up -- I had a couple other apps die around that time and had to reinstall them.

Time will tell if it's a permanent fix or if I'm looking at reinstalling GV every week but so far, so good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Caerulius posted:

Nova launcher has a plug in that let's you do this. (Tesla unread, I think.)

Cool thanks. Is there a way to keep Google now on the left most swipe from the launcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cool thanks. Is there a way to keep Google now on the left most swipe from the launcher?
Nope. Instead of switching launchers, you could use DashClock and install plugins for everything you want to show up.

• Locked thread