Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
Is there a way to turn MIDIs into ABC files? I have a bunch of GuitarPro files that can be exported as MIDIs. I would love to play some Rhapsody on my rock organ while flying through space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Starbound.jpg

90 Guards

15 dragons.

Who will win?

FOR SCIENCE!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Is there a way to turn MIDIs into ABC files? I have a bunch of GuitarPro files that can be exported as MIDIs. I would love to play some Rhapsody on my rock organ while flying through space.

Does this or this or one of these work?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Scoops posted:

I was streaming starbound for a friend last night to convince him to buy it and he told me I needed to immediately make a highlight reel of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYud6j4e1-0

You should really cut out the first 30 seconds or so of that, but once it got going this is fantastic.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Scoops posted:

I was streaming starbound for a friend last night to convince him to buy it and he told me I needed to immediately make a highlight reel of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYud6j4e1-0

Oh Good God...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Scoops posted:

I was streaming starbound for a friend last night to convince him to buy it and he told me I needed to immediately make a highlight reel of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYud6j4e1-0

Great minds think alike, I have set bttf as my go to jump music. It plays really nice with a saxophone. :sax:

I've also been working on separating out the various parts of Terminator 2 so you could have a 3 piece band.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm sure this has been suggested, but I feel like a lot of the complaints about building on planets being pointless are pretty valid. Tripping between planets takes a long time, and a round trip to your home planet takes 400 fuel and a good wait. There's not much point, as it stands, to building up a home planet so mostly I just see people cramming storage chests in their ship and that's it.
The best solution, I think, is a teleporter that only works to your home planet. Visit it any time, build a city there, create a big farm, a huge base, you name it. Fuel costs and travel time prohibit ever really colonizing a world to any extent and any buildings are pretty temporary as a result. I think Tiy probably has something planned for this already, in that he did say Home Planets would be more than a simple bookmark, but sooner would probably be better on an update like this, so that construction has a more permanent feel to it.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

soapydishwater posted:

I managed to mod the torches to cast shadows. Spelunking feels a lot more atmospheric now.

How?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sure this has been suggested, but I feel like a lot of the complaints about building on planets being pointless are pretty valid. Tripping between planets takes a long time, and a round trip to your home planet takes 400 fuel and a good wait. There's not much point, as it stands, to building up a home planet so mostly I just see people cramming storage chests in their ship and that's it.
The best solution, I think, is a teleporter that only works to your home planet. Visit it any time, build a city there, create a big farm, a huge base, you name it. Fuel costs and travel time prohibit ever really colonizing a world to any extent and any buildings are pretty temporary as a result. I think Tiy probably has something planned for this already, in that he did say Home Planets would be more than a simple bookmark, but sooner would probably be better on an update like this, so that construction has a more permanent feel to it.

This is actually a really good idea. Having a home base where you could send back pets/NPCs to live would really make me want to actually build stuff. I can even see events happening to your home planet like invasions.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How geared up are you supposed to be to fight the penguin ufo? I die in one shot with a full set of copper armor, but the time it would take me to upgrade to silver or even iron would be so much walking around grinding that I worry I'd get bored.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LibbyM posted:

How geared up are you supposed to be to fight the penguin ufo? I die in one shot with a full set of copper armor, but the time it would take me to upgrade to silver or even iron would be so much walking around grinding that I worry I'd get bored.

Make a bow and shoot a bunch of monsters until you have enough leather to make Hoth clothes on the loom. Their armor level is really high for something so easy to make and they'll be better than any metal armor you could have at that level.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Reiley posted:

Make a bow and shoot a bunch of monsters until you have enough leather to make Hoth clothes on the loom. Their armor level is really high for something so easy to make and they'll be better than any metal armor you could have at that level.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sorry if this has been asked before but when is an easier way of hosting private games coming along? My friends and I got this game a while ago but we don't really want to play it until we can play it online. None of us are really able to forward our ports right now nor are we intelligent or patient enough to do it anyway. And the public servers seem pretty crap.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

LibbyM posted:

If you manage to find a decent shield (search higher level planets) you should be able to defeat him without too much trouble.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I reported my first bug on the official forums. I hope it will get seen because there's so many identical posts with the same problem (IS THIS GAME OPTIMIZED?! LOW FPS ON MY 5-YEAR OLD BUDGET LAPTOP!!! WHY IS THE EXE SO BIG!!!!!!!) because it's not a game-breaker but it definitely doesn't match expected behavior.

Basically, on desert worlds trees can generate on top of Fine Sand. You can chop them down normally, but if you break the Fine Sand underneath they just disappear as if they were a decal. No wood, no animated, no audiovisual clue that they disappear, they just decal-erase out of existence.

Maybe we're not to the point where they can tweak things like that yet, I know the focus is on getting the game to mostly-run for everyone, but I'm still pretty sure that's not intentional behavior.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Mo_Steel posted:

Great minds think alike, I have set bttf as my go to jump music. It plays really nice with a saxophone. :sax:

I've also been working on separating out the various parts of Terminator 2 so you could have a 3 piece band.
I know NOTHING about music but I'm trying to set up Bandit Radio for my accordion. What a pain in the rear end.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Someone mention a goon IRC channel for this game earlier and I was wondering what the name of it is. At the rate this particular thread is going, an IRC channel is probably the better bet to not get lost in the stream.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

LibbyM posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Trap it in dirt/stone by coaxing it low to the ground and then building foreground blocks above it/to the sides (you may need to prep the area with background walls so the foreground bricks have something to stick to) once it is trapped, it will just sit there and do nothing, plink away with the bow, or climb up around the side and slowly bash it to death. I have poo poo for weapons and despite doing 33 per hit (it has around 3000) I killed it with no trouble at all.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Is there anyone willing to go in on a 4 pack for this? Or has someone got an extra copy laying around that I could buy?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Is there any way to get clothing/accessories that emit light? Having to swap between a flashlight and pickaxe or spending 3(!) spaceship fuel per torch (coal plus wood) turns into a pain. I'd kill for a miner's helmet.

I think there's some good discussion going on in this thread about eventual quality of life improvements versus being a beta, but I'm concerned we're having them in the wrong place. I took a look at the official forums and I'm a little nervous about what I've seen, like people being shouted down for suggesting that maybe some things be intuitive because THIS ISN'T BABBY TERRARIACRAFT. A similar thing happened with the whole A Valley Without Wind fiasco, where the official forums turned into a hatebox and drove all the reasonable people out.

edit: oh and are there any items to increase move speed? The basic speed is starting to get a bit tedious. I haven't found a dash tech yet (I have a billion phase jump techs though!)

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Is there any way to get clothing/accessories that emit light? Having to swap between a flashlight and pickaxe or spending 3(!) spaceship fuel per torch (coal plus wood) turns into a pain. I'd kill for a miner's helmet.

I think there's some good discussion going on in this thread about eventual quality of life improvements versus being a beta, but I'm concerned we're having them in the wrong place. I took a look at the official forums and I'm a little nervous about what I've seen, like people being shouted down for suggesting that maybe some things be intuitive because THIS ISN'T BABBY TERRARIACRAFT. A similar thing happened with the whole A Valley Without Wind fiasco, where the official forums turned into a hatebox and drove all the reasonable people out.

edit: oh and are there any items to increase move speed? The basic speed is starting to get a bit tedious. I haven't found a dash tech yet (I have a billion phase jump techs though!)

Stimpacks are a quick fix for light(yellow) and movement speed (green). I feel like the buff timers could be a little longer, but they are useful when they're up.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Prop Wash posted:

Tiy checks these forums occasionally. The devs also check the Starbound subreddit, which is surprisingly not a cesspit of memes and hate.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Okay, so launching the game in Safemode (from right clicking in the Steam Library) keeps it from crashing every time I beam down to the planet. It also bypasses the launcher and opens the game directly.

I have no idea what's going on. I assume it's because I use Vista that all this is happening.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

So I make a new character and right away I run into this guy, who is less of a monster and more of an intensely creepy dude in a robe and a mask. He makes terrifying horse whinnies.

I don't think I like this planet.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rocketlex posted:

Okay, so launching the game in Safemode (from right clicking in the Steam Library) keeps it from crashing every time I beam down to the planet. It also bypasses the launcher and opens the game directly.

I have no idea what's going on. I assume it's because I use Vista that all this is happening.

Does the Steam overlay work for you? How did you get it to launch in safemode, exactly?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You look like you're about to get a Saints Row takedown right to the face.

Fish Noise posted:

I know NOTHING about music but I'm trying to set up Bandit Radio for my accordion. What a pain in the rear end.
Son of a bitch, I don't think I can pull this one off.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Meinberg posted:

Someone mention a goon IRC channel for this game earlier and I was wondering what the name of it is. At the rate this particular thread is going, an IRC channel is probably the better bet to not get lost in the stream.

I thought it would be #starbound on synirc but that channel is password locked so I dunno what's going on with what.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Reiley posted:

I thought it would be #starbound on synirc but that channel is password locked so I dunno what's going on with what.

Read the first page of the thread in PGS (It's linked in the OP of this thread) for the password. It got changed a while back and Molly hasn't updated her OP to reflect that.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Look at the top of the OP to see what's up with that.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

Perfect! Thanks!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shukaro posted:

Look at the top of the OP to see what's up with that.

I checked it twice and I didn't see anything :confused:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Verranicus posted:

How did you get it to launch in safemode, exactly?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Reiley posted:

Shukaro posted:

Go Here to make all your goonbound dreams come true

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Reiley posted:

Shukaro posted:

:siren: IMPORTANT poo poo :siren:
Go Here to make all your goonbound dreams come true

Go forth and be enlightened. :v:

E: also I was wrong and Molly has updated the OP with the proper password.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Okay thank you! I was dumb and thought that was just a PGS private server thread and did not click :sweatdrop:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Okay thank you! I was dumb and thought that was just a PGS private server thread and did not click :sweatdrop:

No worries, it is kind of easy to miss so I edited it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So maybe I missed it, but how do I use dye?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

shymog posted:

I reported my first bug on the official forums. I hope it will get seen because there's so many identical posts with the same problem (IS THIS GAME OPTIMIZED?! LOW FPS ON MY 5-YEAR OLD BUDGET LAPTOP!!! WHY IS THE EXE SO BIG!!!!!!!) because it's not a game-breaker but it definitely doesn't match expected behavior.

Basically, on desert worlds trees can generate on top of Fine Sand. You can chop them down normally, but if you break the Fine Sand underneath they just disappear as if they were a decal. No wood, no animated, no audiovisual clue that they disappear, they just decal-erase out of existence.

Maybe we're not to the point where they can tweak things like that yet, I know the focus is on getting the game to mostly-run for everyone, but I'm still pretty sure that's not intentional behavior.

There really isn't much excuse for shipping a 600 meg executable designed to be hooked up to a debugger, even if it is going out to testers. It actively contributes to the performance issues by wasting a fuckton of memory (swap it out for the ~10 meg opengl executable and your memory usage drops by half) and no one is going to sit down in front of a debugger before making a bug report.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 9, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
The very first planet on my Hylotl guy, I found a surface cavern that seemed to go down, without stopping, then it suddenly opened up wide. Very carefully made my way down, only to find flesh, blood, and bones. :psyduck:

Also, does magmarock do anything special after you mine it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lilspooky posted:

So maybe I missed it, but how do I use dye?

I don't think it's actually possible to use dye yet.

• Locked thread