Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Keito posted:

I don't know man, they have Cranky with pretty appealing cane jumping features.

I still think someone should make a gif of that, in the vein of those COD: Ghosts ones people did with the announcement of "fish AI, so the fish can move out of your way" juxtaposed with footage of Super Mario 64 that has fish moving out of the way, only with Cranky Kong's cane jump cutting to Scrooge pogojumping on some chests in Duck Tales for the NES instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

Huh? When they announced the name they basically said it stands for "you" in that it's all about games for you or something like that.

Which means precisely nothing. Every system is about providing you with stuff in exchange for money (and your personal information and eyeball space, in Microsoft's case.)

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 9, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

dataisplural posted:

To further complicate things for Nintendo they can't just say "the ALL NEW Wii U" because it's already been out for a year

Why couldn't they? Advertising jargon is not regulated like the FDA regulates food jargon.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cranky Kong was the original Donkey Kong from 1981 redone in 1994, right? At this point, wouldn't the one in the new game be the Donkey Kong from 1994 as an old ape?

Edmund Honda posted:

NPD numbers for November get published in ~a week, the exciting parts will be leaked shortly after that.

The guessed numbers on VGChartz has it at 240k for SM3DW, 100k for Knack. I's be surprised if it's less than 2:1 in favour of Mario tbh.

Guessed numbers are exactly that.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
It's still not too late for them to rename it the "Wii Two," and then come out with an advertising campaign centered on the slogan "Wii Two have a nextgen console!" :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

At this point, I think Nintendo is trying to give us what we want. They want to give us what we want. They just have no idea what the hell that is.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fulchrum posted:

Cranky Kong was the original Donkey Kong from 1981 redone in 1994, right? At this point, wouldn't the one in the new game be the Donkey Kong from 1994 as an old ape?

It's called a floating timeline. Mario should be over 50 by now but he's still an olympic athlete.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

MechaCrash posted:

At this point, I think Nintendo is trying to give us what we want. They want to give us what we want. They just have no idea what the hell that is.

A new Metroid Prime by Retro and a good new Zelda for the Wii U? This isn't exactly difficult to figure out, I don't think :ohdear:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's been quite a while since the last F-Zero or Starfox game. I think they could manage a budget digital release. Not that they're going to.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 9, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

dataisplural posted:

I can't imagine Thomas Was Alone of all things stealing too many sales from a game like 3D World

I'm just saying that "We've got a Mario platformer! And a Donkey Kong platformer! And a Yoshi platformer!" isn't a console-selling lineup these days. Ten or fifteen years ago you really had to go to Nintendo to get amazing platformers, but the indie scene has completely filled that niche at this point (even non-indie with the quality of the new Raymans).

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

Papercut posted:

I'm just saying that "We've got a Mario platformer! And a Donkey Kong platformer! And a Yoshi platformer!" isn't a console-selling lineup these days. Ten or fifteen years ago you really had to go to Nintendo to get amazing platformers, but the indie scene has completely filled that niche at this point (even non-indie with the quality of the new Raymans).

Yeah, fair enough, but I don't think that necessarily dilutes the association that people make between Nintendo and quality platformers.

PrBacterio posted:

A new Metroid Prime by Retro and a good new Zelda for the Wii U? This isn't exactly difficult to figure out, I don't think :ohdear:

Judging by this thread's opinions re: the Prime trilogy I don't even think "we" as some sort of nebulous collective agree on what we want.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A new Zelda being in development for Wii U is basically an open secret, with Aonuma hinting all the time about the design principles he's looking at incorporating. It just apparently doesn't exist or count until there's a trailer.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

PrBacterio posted:

This, and a 3Desque Metroidvania. Oh hell, a proper 2.5D Castlevania too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Papercut posted:

Hell, even 10 years ago Nintendo got completely blown out of the water by the triple threat of Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hell, even 10 years ago Nintendo got completely blown out of the water by the triple threat of Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter.

I love all three of those games but we do not live in a world where Sly Cooper, Rachet & Clank and especially Jak & Daxter became the new baseline for platformers. Ratchet and Clank was the most successful of the three and even it is struggling to get new games out. I love those games and I wish they kept getting new entries but you have to be stretching hard to claim that they blew anything out of the water. (They didn't sell badly either, mind you, but come on.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 9, 2013

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mattavist posted:

Just rename it now.

Astro7x posted:

Why couldn't they? Advertising jargon is not regulated like the FDA regulates food jargon.

No but then they'll lose all the hard earned brand loyalty they've built up an-:unsmigghh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

dataisplural posted:

Judging by this thread's opinions re: the Prime trilogy I don't even think "we" as some sort of nebulous collective agree on what we want.

Yup... and for as much as we want a new Metroid Prime game, everyone will chime in to bash it saying Nintendo should have known it wouldn't drive console sales and that it's a failure because it didn't sell X copies in the first week.

ImpAtom posted:

I love all three of those games but we do not live in a world where Sly Cooper, Rachet & Clank and especially Jak & Daxter became the new baseline for platformers. Ratchet and Clank was popular the most successful of the three and even it is struggling to get new games out.

A new Ratchet and Clank game would have caused me to buy a PS4. Instead they made Into the Nexus which is super short and cheap. I don't understand that move at all...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea except a Metroid, F-zero, Starfox is something a tiny and ever shrinking minority wants, none of those franchises set the world on fire, even when Nintendo had a bigger market share.

It doesn't help that one of the best and worst things about Nintendo is trying to constantly re-invent the wheel, I mean Miyamoto himself has said he has no ideas for a new F-zero, so the franchise is left to rot, Starfox had a grand total of 2 score attack ish games, 2 adventure games and and Command that I still don't know where it fits, its like they're incapable of just making a similar game to the old ones.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's called a floating timeline. Mario should be over 50 by now but he's still an olympic athlete.
Yeah but wasn't Cranky, like, actually legit dead in one game?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Papercut posted:

DKC is honestly the only reason I've considered getting a Wii U, although I'm having difficulties justifying a console purchase after how floaty the controls felt playing the last one (both on Wii and 3DS).

But indie developers filling the platforming niche? When did that happen? I enjoyed Limbo, but it was more of a puzzler really, not much focus on intricate jumps. VVVVVV and Tower of Heaven were both excellent but very short experiences, and three games aren't enough to satisfy my craving either way.

Precision platforming is a super tiny genre in these days, and DKC and Rayman are the two series still doing it. The latter has been doing a much better job at it too, but I really want the new Donkey to be good.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah but wasn't Cranky, like, actually legit dead in one game?

No it was Wrinkly Kong who died between DKC3 and DK64. I'm a walking DK encyclopedia, ask me anything

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I love all three of those games but we do not live in a world where Sly Cooper, Rachet & Clank and especially Jak & Daxter became the new baseline for platformers. Ratchet and Clank was the most successful of the three and even it is struggling to get new games out. I love those games and I wish they kept getting new entries but you have to be stretching hard to claim that they blew anything out of the water. (They didn't sell badly either, mind you, but come on.)

Independent of the individual franchises, the philosophy of integrating stealth/shooter/free-roaming elements into their platformers is one that has continued into their future franchises (like the puzzle platforming of Uncharted or the free-roaming parkour of Infamous) and the genre as a whole. Even indie platformers usually try and appear more substantial by applying a narrative.

Mario Sunshine experimented with the FLUDD and Galaxy at least shook things up with the gravity gimmicks, but it's hard to go back to a game like New Super Mario Bros that's "just" a platformer when there are more substantial packages out there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Yea except a Metroid, F-zero, Starfox is something a tiny and ever shrinking minority wants, none of those franchises set the world on fire, even when Nintendo had a bigger market share.

It doesn't help that one of the best and worst things about Nintendo is trying to constantly re-invent the wheel, I mean Miyamoto himself has said he has no ideas for a new F-zero, so the franchise is left to rot, Starfox had a grand total of 2 score attack ish games, 2 adventure games and and Command that I still don't know where it fits, its like they're incapable of just making a similar game to the old ones.

They can make a Star Fox like the old one but hour-long rail shooter score attack games are kind of the realm of downloadable/budget titles now and I doubt the people clamoring for a new Star Fox really want a Eshop or 3DS title.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Independent of the individual franchises, the philosophy of integrating stealth/shooter/free-roaming elements into their platformers is one that has continued into their future franchises (like the puzzle platforming of Uncharted or the free-roaming parkour of Infamous) and the genre as a whole. Even indie platformers usually try and appear more substantial by applying a narrative.

Mario Sunshine experimented with the FLUDD and Galaxy at least shook things up with the gravity gimmicks, but it's hard to go back to a game like New Super Mario Bros that's "just" a platformer when there are more substantial packages out there.

In the case of each of those games though, they became non-platformers but instead just added some parkour/platforming elements to a third person shooter game. And they did so well but they're very much a case of them abandoning all but the superficial platforming elements. Infamous has more in common with Assassin's Creed than it does with Sly Cooper despite having some of Sly Cooper's legacy mechanics in place, and I don't think most people would think to go to them when they were looking for a platformer experience.

Rayman is a far better example of a franchise which is wholeheartedly dedicated to offering the same kind of thing that Nintendo does but arguably better, but Rayman is also a case of a franchise that sells far, far, far less than it should. (The only third-party multiplaform game to sell the most on the Wii U! :smith:) And even then Rayman borrowed a lot from NSMB, it just improved upon it and mixed it with Rayman gameplay. It just did so in an amazingly refined and beautiful way.

There are excellent 2D platformers out there (Super Meat Boy is a personal favorite) but so far I don't think you can say any of them have really blown Nintendo out of the water in terms of public perception or redefining the genre. Frankly I'd argue something like Temple Run (or its side-scrolling variants like Rainbow Unicorn Attack or whatever) is more likely to redefine what people think of as a platformer than most Indie platformers. Even then that's less a case of something new and more a case of something old being re-contextualized by the popularity of mobile gaming and the ease of cloning it.

I mean don't get me wrong. I think Rayman Origins/Legends is a better game than NSMB 10 times out of 10. I just don't think a good game always is the same as a game that grabs the public perception. I do agree that platformers are not the draw they used to be though and that is certainly something Nintendo seems to be behind on. They can make tons and tons of fantastic high-quality platformers but the genre is a much weaker genre. They really do need more variety, at least on the Wii U.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 9, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Keito posted:

No it was Wrinkly Kong who died between DKC3 and DK64. I'm a walking DK encyclopedia, ask me anything

Ok smart guy, how is DK a baby on Yoshi's Island DS, but still a baby when Mario is an adult in DK Jr.?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Ok smart guy, how is DK a baby on Yoshi's Island DS, but still a baby when Mario is an adult in DK Jr.?

Time travel, duh.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Astro7x posted:

A new Ratchet and Clank game would have caused me to buy a PS4. Instead they made Into the Nexus which is super short and cheap. I don't understand that move at all...

What happened with Insomniac? After Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which lots of people consider the best in the entire series, they made the awful All 4 One, the mediocre Full Frontal Assault, and now the bite-sized Into the Nexus. Although they're still making R&C games for Sony, they became a third-party developer, and are now making an exclusive game for the Xbox One, called Sunset Overdrive. They also released the poorly-received FUSE.

I was hoping we'd see a new platformer from them in the style of Spyro and Ratchet & Clank, possibly even on a Nintendo console.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

How is DK a baby on Yoshi's Island DS, but still a baby when Mario is an adult in DK Jr.?

YI DS featured babby Donkey Kong Sr. aka Cranky while the DK Jr. you met in his titular game went on to become the current star of the Country series. Hope that cleared things up! ;-*

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

They can make a Star Fox like the old one but hour-long rail shooter score attack games are kind of the realm of downloadable/budget titles now and I doubt the people clamoring for a new Star Fox really want a Eshop or 3DS title.

Better than nothing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They could make it look exactly like the original, both reducing the budget as well as appealing to our nostalgia.

I really like the SNES Star Fox games, especially the unreleased Star Fox 2, which was full of really awesome ideas. They were made by a British developer, Argonaut, who later went on to make the Croc games, but they also had to put up with Nintendo doing their first collaborative game with a non-Japanese developer.

I'll have to find it, but there's a really cool interview explaining how the game was made. They explained to Miyamoto how many polygons their 3D processor could render, but they were really just pulling it out of their asses. Luckily, the final chip could render ten times what they had said it could. It's really good that they developed this game and the Super FX chip, because Yoshi's Island was massively improved by it. For instance, the SNES normally can only handle one object in Mode 7, but at the end of the first level of Yoshi's Island, you can see several flipping Shy Guys. They must have put the sprite on a polygon to do that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

That loving Sned posted:

What happened with Insomniac? After Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which lots of people consider the best in the entire series, they made the awful All 4 One, the mediocre Full Frontal Assault, and now the bite-sized Into the Nexus. Although they're still making R&C games for Sony, they became a third-party developer, and are now making an exclusive game for the Xbox One, called Sunset Overdrive. They also released the poorly-received FUSE.

I was hoping we'd see a new platformer from them in the style of Spyro and Ratchet & Clank, possibly even on a Nintendo console.

Counterpoint: They also released Resistance 3 which was much better than I was expecting it to be and a pretty solid FPS.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Counterpoint: They also released Resistance 3 which was much better than I was expecting it to be and a pretty solid FPS.

I should get around to finishing that. I played through the first few levels in co-op with a friend, but haven't gone back to it. It's great to play a modern FPS that uses health packs rather than regenerating health, not to mention the awesome weapons.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Keito posted:

DKC is honestly the only reason I've considered getting a Wii U, although I'm having difficulties justifying a console purchase after how floaty the controls felt playing the last one (both on Wii and 3DS).

But indie developers filling the platforming niche? When did that happen? I enjoyed Limbo, but it was more of a puzzler really, not much focus on intricate jumps. VVVVVV and Tower of Heaven were both excellent but very short experiences, and three games aren't enough to satisfy my craving either way.

Precision platforming is a super tiny genre in these days, and DKC and Rayman are the two series still doing it. The latter has been doing a much better job at it too, but I really want the new Donkey to be good.

ImpAtom covered it pretty well; while exact Mario or DKC clones aren't super common, the platformer genre in general has tons of entries these days. Mark of the Ninja, the Giana Sisters games, remakes like Cave Story+ and La Mulana, Super Meat Boy, the games I mentioned before, and that doesn't even get into the puzzle platformer games like the Trine series, Fez, Rochard, stuff like that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That loving Sned posted:

Okay, people are ragging on Into the Nexus, but its actually really fun. Just cause its small doesn't make it bad - its priced just right for what it is.

Most people say its burnout happened to Insomniac. Personally, since they started talking to EA at about the time they started to suck, I say its infection. THey started off fresh faced with creativity and passion (see the original trailer for Overstrike) and just ended up lifeless, joyless and dead eyed.

Still, Sucker Punch are clearly just as talented as they ever were, and Naughty Dog are at the top of their game.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 9, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Papercut posted:

ImpAtom covered it pretty well; while exact Mario or DKC clones aren't super common, the platformer genre in general has tons of entries these days. Mark of the Ninja, the Giana Sisters games, remakes like Cave Story+ and La Mulana, Super Meat Boy, the games I mentioned before, and that doesn't even get into the puzzle platformer games like the Trine series, Fez, Rochard, stuff like that.

What genre doesn't have tons of entries?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Skate/snowboarding games.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Skate/snowboarding games.

They got all those out of the way in the early/mid '00s.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Bruceski posted:

Trivia games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bruceski posted:

Erotic FMV-based point and click adventure games.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

GOOCHY posted:

They got all those out of the way in the early/mid '00s.

I guess, but I want another 1080 snowboarding. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can you even buy the wii-u touch screen controller separately? Wonder if Nintendo is concerned people will see it in a store, buy it, and call support cause it doesn't work with the wii.

• Locked thread