Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Well, just a few minutes after that post a superior brain dropped. For something required to progress, its drop rate is way too low.

I hope it also fixes the crash on system lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

You can, but pistols don't have knockback so they're kind of risky.

Revolvers actually do have knockback, and if you time the shots right a dual-wielded pair can keep enemies at bay pretty nicely. :mil101:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Pussy Cartel posted:

Revolvers actually do have knockback, and if you time the shots right a dual-wielded pair can keep enemies at bay pretty nicely. :mil101:

Yup depending on the bullet type the different guns will do different things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Quick Tip: If you don't wanna mess around with the game files, this is another way to make the game much more stable and smooth. The characters that were crashing when I tried to beam down are all working fine now.

Mine doesn't have that option for some reason.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Oh man Framerate nose dives when you make a bunch of sand/gravel collapse.

I think if a wipe is happening tomorrow I'm stopping until that patch, don't want to burn out doing the whole early game twice in a row.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 9, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Godspeed little gemship. Forward into oblivion :patriot:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

randombattle posted:

Yup depending on the bullet type the different guns will do different things.

The best are sniper rifles with ricochet bullets. Skilshots! :freep:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Is there a way to have different players play different tracks in sync with eachother? If not, does anyone know if there are any plans to implement a way?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lohli posted:

Is there a way to have different players play different tracks in sync with eachother? If not, does anyone know if there are any plans to implement a way?

I think you'd need to name the .abc files the same thing, and put each player's "part" in their own file but with the same name? Then just use the band functionality.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else have an issue where you craft something and it consumes the goods, but doesn't appear in the inventory?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Jastiger posted:

Anyone else have an issue where you craft something and it consumes the goods, but doesn't appear in the inventory?

Have you checked your hotbar? That threw me off for a second.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Jastiger posted:

Make sure it isn't in your hotbar at the top of the screen, or equipped.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bah thanks a lot guys:) Also, I hope they fix the armor thing. I have all the winter infantry stuff and they all have 13 armor, yet my total armor remains at 13. Strange.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THF13 posted:

Make sure it isn't in your hotbar at the top of the screen, or equipped.

Or the second inventory, for that matter.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If your inventory is full and you craft something it tosses it onto the floor.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

lohli posted:

Each player selects the piece they want to play and as long as your in a "band" the game will sync them all up as best as it can. They don't have to be the same thing.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

My Hylotl tried to spread the virtues of peace to a floran village by playing Hey Jude on her koto, but all they did was call her fishface and threaten to eat her. Rude. :colbert:

Do reactions to your character differ depending on your race? Because that would be neat. I like the vegetarian mer-hippies, but I'm going to play a bit with other races before the wipe to see their observation dialog and stuff.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

endolithic posted:

My Hylotl tried to spread the virtues of peace to a floran village by playing Hey Jude on her koto, but all they did was call her fishface and threaten to eat her. Rude. :colbert:

Do reactions to your character differ depending on your race? Because that would be neat. I like the vegetarian mer-hippies, but I'm going to play a bit with other races before the wipe to see their observation dialog and stuff.

Very, very much so. Avians and humans get along really well, talking to Avians as one yourself has different dialogue than as any other race, item descriptions are race-specific, it's great. For example, in an Avian tomb, a Human will see a rabbit-shaped sarcophagus and say 'Oh look, a bunny, how cute!' and an Avian will say 'This is the tomb of a criminal or heretic. It signifies that even in the afterlife, the dead will never fly.'

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Playing my Apex, half the Florans thought I smelt nice and wanted to cuddle me, the other half were still on the fence about whether I was food or not.

Strangely looking forward to the wipe simply because I know to be better organised next time.

Here, have a dumb review by someone who usually reviews console stuff.
http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2013/12/09/3907853.htm

quote:

From the makers of Terraria (one of my all-time favourite games of the last few years), comes Starbound
:what:

Getawhale
Jan 10, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

Each player selects the piece they want to play and as long as your in a "band" the game will sync them all up as best as it can. They don't have to be the same thing.

This is still a bit buggy, though. Hit or miss. I've had it work great sometimes, and sometimes one or more people will hear the pieces out of sync, or worse just not hear one instrument at all.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

endolithic posted:

As a Floran visiting a Floran village they constantly threatened me for being "strange cocoon-kin" with "strange space smell", and two Greenguard NPCs followed me everywhere. A few Floran threw out "FLORAN JOIN STRANGE FLORAN ON GREAT HUNT!"s. One Floran that looked really fancy told me to leave because "Greenfinger Floran not welcome here." Eventually the guards following me attacked me for being "too strange."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How do the left and right hand slots work for weapons and shields? If I put the bow in one and my sword in the other pressing X switches between the two, but sometimes it switches between one and the last other item I had equipped (from a numbered slot) instead. I can't use the slots to switch in combat because sometimes it won't switch to the other weapon but to a different item instead.

Alyssa Milano
Dec 20, 2004

I've dated the sweet mama's boy, the musician rocker, the struggling artist - basically a lot of people without jobs.
Aegisalt Block can be found on:

X Sector
X -95136128 Y -62151136
Gamma Albali 6527 IV a
Biome: magma
TL 33

Left of spawn there is a house with an NPC block should be in the hill to the right of the house

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Geomancing posted:

'This is the tomb of a criminal or heretic. It signifies that even in the afterlife, the dead will never fly.'
:aaaaa:

That's a very nice touch. Having race specific descriptions, along with interesting reactions from npcs depending on your race gives things a nice atmosphere.

I haven't actually gotten a chance to play. I've decided to wait until after the wipe before giving it a go.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Love the hell out of the game. Finally getting to the point where I'm booting around the systems more. Hopefully getting out of my first sector in a bit. Is there a decent write up somewhere about seeking out certain minerals for progression?

At any rate while I like the game a lot I have to say that it's pretty easy to kill enemies by wraping them in blocks and then attacking through the blocks. I use that technique on much harder planets. Just zone them out, especially if there is a door, and eventually inch your way close enough to surround them in blocks from afar. Pretty fun, but not very quick for sure.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Well I just got this game, and I have no idea what I am doing! I figured out how to get fuel and visit different planets, and built me some aztec space bird armor. And dying a lot on a higher level world.

From the last few pages it looks like my character is going to get wiped anyways? So any advice for what the hell I should try to do when things start over again?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If you guys are still doing this then I'll also jump in for a 4pack.

As would I! This looks pretty neat. :D

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

onemanlan posted:

Just zone them out, especially if there is a door, and eventually inch your way close enough to surround them in blocks from afar. Pretty fun, but not very quick for sure.

Now that I've increased the speed of the matter manipulator, I just go tunneling through the dirt right under their feet like a mole.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I think I'm going to miss my Bubble Boost the most.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TwystNeko posted:

As would I! This looks pretty neat. :D

Seems like that is 4 people, but Super Dude and that other guy haven't responded. I'm still down for it though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
After experiencing how generic the human responses are to, well.. everything.. I've decided to make my post-wipe character something else, and now I'm torn between fishdude and monkeydude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Inverness posted:

:aaaaa:

That's a very nice touch. Having race specific descriptions, along with interesting reactions from npcs depending on your race gives things a nice atmosphere.

I haven't actually gotten a chance to play. I've decided to wait until after the wipe before giving it a go.

Floran descriptions for everything are the best. They're usually stabbing related. :3:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
900 posts in just a day or two... any news on the upcoming patch/wipe tomorrow?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jackard posted:

There's a patch/wipe tomorrow. That is the news.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Jackard posted:

Where did they say the patch was hitting tomorrow?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lallander posted:

Where did they say the patch was hitting tomorrow?

Twitter. It was linked here a bit ago.

Jastiger posted:

Bah thanks a lot guys:) Also, I hope they fix the armor thing. I have all the winter infantry stuff and they all have 13 armor, yet my total armor remains at 13. Strange.

Your defense is a weighted average of your three armor pieces, so having three pieces with the same value will give you that value for defense.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Cool! I can't wait for other racial villages to be added so we can see more interaction. The only others I have seen that weren't immediately hostile (like a human prison or avian temple) were the avian pirates and a glitch town. The glitch were mostly condescending to my hylotl, but the pirates were pretty chill as long as I didn't draw a weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

endolithic posted:

Cool! I can't wait for other racial villages to be added so we can see more interaction. The only others I have seen that weren't immediately hostile (like a human prison or avian temple) were the avian pirates and a glitch town. The glitch were mostly condescending to my hylotl, but the pirates were pretty chill as long as I didn't draw a weapon.

Prisons, temples, labs, etc. are more like dungeons. Actual villages are always non-hostile, and only Hyotl (and humans I think?) don't have villages yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I hope they're aiming for a noonish patch I can't wait to test out the new stuffs~

• Locked thread