Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Genocyber posted:

Actual villages are always non-hostile, and only Hyotl (and humans I think?) don't have villages yet.
Have you checked under the sea?

Unrelated: I like that the human backstory #2 is like a combination of Alien and The Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So, at the moment, does platinum occur at all in tier 3? I've been knocking around the magma level of a level 30 planet and have yet to see a single one. I decided this would be easier than trying to run across planet surfaces while trying to not be one-shotted, but now I'm not so sure. I got a plutonium, though, not that it does me any good. And I only need one platinum ore since I'm just going to dupe the hell out of it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geomancing posted:

Very, very much so. Avians and humans get along really well, talking to Avians as one yourself has different dialogue than as any other race, item descriptions are race-specific, it's great. For example, in an Avian tomb, a Human will see a rabbit-shaped sarcophagus and say 'Oh look, a bunny, how cute!' and an Avian will say 'This is the tomb of a criminal or heretic. It signifies that even in the afterlife, the dead will never fly.'
Hylotl, being actually trained for this poo poo, apparently make pretty accurate guesses about things too.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Genocyber posted:

Prisons, temples, labs, etc. are more like dungeons. Actual villages are always non-hostile, and only Hyotl (and humans I think?) don't have villages yet.

Non-hostile as long as you don't have a weapon drawn.
I learned that the hard way. :smith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zereth posted:

Hylotl, being actually trained for this poo poo, apparently make pretty accurate guesses about things too.
I wonder if they plan on adding dungeon traps that can be circumvented using racial descriptions.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lemon King posted:

Non-hostile as long as you don't have a weapon drawn.
I learned that the hard way. :smith:

They give you plenty of warning before attacking you though.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Jackard posted:

Have you checked under the sea?

There aren't any seas yet! That's why Hylotl villages aren't in.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Asking again, is there an editable key binding .cfg or anything? Or will I have to get one of those keychanger programs to do alternate keys?

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
Only thing thats really eating me right now is fall damage. 90% of my deaths come from falls or ill timed dashing. there isn't so much a medium level of hurt, its kinda like (nothing, nothing, all life but 1 or dead).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Varinn posted:

I actually preferred the idea of keeping all items of the same type (fine sand, dry dirt, dirt, sand, stone) in a separate single category for each one, and as you find colors it unlocks them to be used, while keeping the overall count a shared number.
This could be useful, I'm already thankful as it is we have two seperate inventory tabs to start with. It's great that you are not forced to put terrain in one and items in the other, but the split helps deal with the 'items desired on hand or remembered' vs 'terrain, ore, and incidental stuff'.

I can understand all these rocks and dirt and ice and snow and sand blocks taking up entirely different stacks because they are different colors. But every so often I'll end up with stacks from the SAME PLANET of the same color that refuse to combine with eachother.

Sometimes this clears up after a save quit, when they are visually identical blocks. Other times it's "Come on Cobblestones from forest world, combine with the rocks I just got twenty feet from here! What good is a stack that only goes up to 728?" It doesn't help that I am such an insane terrain hoarder that I think "But what if I need this dirt and rocks for a landscaping project?!", but that's unrelated to "Blue dirt will not stack with blue dirt".

As for cave diving, I love cave diving but I tend to only go as deep as "Oh hey I see another set of ore/open space from torch light/flashlight pressed against the edge" in continuously digging my way through the various caverns or little nooks. This is also depending on the materials because I will just keep going all over the drat place through snow and slush and ice, and a good way through sand.

But gently caress digging my way through cobblestone or bone blocks (which are just as hard) with my copper pickaxe unless I know for a fact there is another cavern on the other side, or more than a handful of common ores. I'll dig as far as it takes for iron, or all fuckin ONE pieces of silver if I see em... when my Glasses using eyesight can even tell there is silver in cobblestone.

Every so often, though, if I see like, ONE piece of surface Iron in the dirt, I'll keep going down another twenty tiles, and pop down a torch... This has only turned up a bigger Iron deposit once, but every bit helps.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sure this has been suggested, but I feel like a lot of the complaints about building on planets being pointless are pretty valid. Tripping between planets takes a long time, and a round trip to your home planet takes 400 fuel and a good wait. There's not much point, as it stands, to building up a home planet so mostly I just see people cramming storage chests in their ship and that's it.
The best solution, I think, is a teleporter that only works to your home planet. Visit it any time, build a city there, create a big farm, a huge base, you name it.
Again, I'm of this mindset. Don't build a log cabin out of planks, you might need all the unrefined wood to make a single one way trip! And that might be all the trees you find! I made the mistake of making about 500 planks of wood from my starter world, which turned out to account for about half the wood in existence there. Thank goodness for the snow gear patch the next day, because the next door no fuel to travel to snow world had plenty of easily accessible coal blazing my way down through the snow and slush.

I don't mind the actual warp drive trips taking time. And I wouldn't mind if it still took fuel to go to new worlds, or drive your ship between them (Especially once trees start to regrow, and you can plant them... Even if you'd need like 50 trees for a single jump). But some way to designate a home location, and be able to more easily access it would really make more of an incentive to build a nice log cabin in the forest instead of turn your ship into a gym locker room. Not that I've even found any lockers yet.

I found a hard had in a "This looks like it will have something valuable in it!" examine description high tech chest though :haw:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Asking again, is there an editable key binding .cfg or anything? Or will I have to get one of those keychanger programs to do alternate keys?

This is from the OP http://pastie.org/private/hjgfmct8z8ilfjxj1luiw I'm not entirely sure where to save it or under what name but there it is.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

No there is not. As a left handed person, this missing feature is more annoying than it has any right being.

^^^^^Edit: or is there?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It'd be kinda nice to set up race descriptions so that characters in the same party in the same space would "respond" to each other. So for example with the bunny tomb if you have a human and an avian the human does their "cute bunny thing" and the avian automatically does their "its a criminal or heretic" bit in response.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there some reason everyone is using wood for fuel instead of coal?

Granted I haven't gotten all the way through the tech tree yet, but I don't have much else to do with coal yet, and wood seems far more versatile and therefore worthy of hoarding.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Coal is twice as effective as timber when used for fuel. Sure it takes a bit longer to mine if you've got the basic pick, but at least you don't have to feel bad about destroying a world's forest (or be stranded on a desert world or moon). At least until tree seedlings become a thing. Plus I like to keep most of my timber for building.

Section Z posted:

I don't mind the actual warp drive trips taking time. And I wouldn't mind if it still took fuel to go to new worlds, or drive your ship between them (Especially once trees start to regrow, and you can plant them... Even if you'd need like 50 trees for a single jump). But some way to designate a home location, and be able to more easily access it would really make more of an incentive to build a nice log cabin in the forest instead of turn your ship into a gym locker room. Not that I've even found any lockers yet.
I was asking about the "designate home world" thing earlier and had it pointed out to me that there are actually "set home" and "go home" functions in the map.

As for the inventory system, I think there are a few tweaks that would work well;
- an auto-sort function - the actual order might be arbitrary but anything that groups stuff together would be great.
- and a list view with filter buttons much like the crafting and trading menus.

I also reckon the ideas posted by others, where building materials just get converted to some generic bank of "stuff", much like pixels except you can only create stone-based things with the matter manipulator. I'm not sure about how this might be best implemented (I'd suggest using a new hotkey to bring the manipulator menu up) but something along those lines would be good.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zoe posted:

Granted I haven't gotten all the way through the tech tree yet, but I don't have much else to do with coal yet, and wood seems far more versatile and therefore worthy of hoarding.

1) Wood is insanely easy to get tons of.
2) Coal is used for other useful things like torches and steel.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I don't know if it's annoying or amazing that your ship needs to jump to FTL to travel from a planet to its moon.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

I don't know if it's annoying or amazing that your ship needs to jump to FTL to travel from a planet to its moon.

Well you could spend eight hours in a Hohmann transfer orbit or three minutes making the stars go stripy what're you gonna do.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Agnostalgia posted:

Well you could spend eight hours in a Hohmann transfer orbit or three minutes making the stars go stripy what're you gonna do.
God I hope there's a Kerbal planet as an easter egg.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
I just landed on a planet that had the trees turn into eyeball-bearing sticks after a while. Also, I got an all-seeing cape out of it! This game is amazing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

God I hope there's a Kerbal planet as an easter egg.

There was supposed to be cameo enemies, I wonder if that's something that's coming later though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The first loom recipe that I'd modded in is a parachute. I die way too often in dark falls through caves.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Agnostalgia posted:

I play this when I'm at work. I've got time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

DrManiac posted:

There was supposed to be cameo enemies, I wonder if that's something that's coming later though.
poo poo, someone will probably mod them in as a race. Not that Kerbals care much about anything aside from bucket science.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Onean posted:

They give you plenty of warning before attacking you though.
Glitch castles also warn you, but they'll just attack you if you walk up without a weapon drawn.

And probably instantly murder you because of how armor works right now.

Section Z posted:

Again, I'm of this mindset. Don't build a log cabin out of planks, you might need all the unrefined wood to make a single one way trip! And that might be all the trees you find!
Yeah, packed dirt is my usual building material.

Weirdly, packing it down makes it take up MORE space, but I'm not complaining that you get more refined building material out of raw stuff in general here.

Zoe posted:

You need it for torches, steel, and several other higher-level metals.

That's a human, right? Wow, that is a massive contrast compared to the "actually kinda knows what they're doing" of the Hylotl.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Agnostalgia posted:

Judging by the line of always-on thrusters on the bottom, your ship is too cool for orbits and simply hovers 100km above the surface. No need for a fancy transfer orbit, you've got enough power to go in a straight line :jeb:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Back to the Future? No sir that is not how you warp.

http://youtu.be/AmjyOrupOwY

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Prisons, temples, labs, etc. are more like dungeons. Actual villages are always non-hostile, and only Hyotl (and humans I think?) don't have villages yet.

I was attacked by a same race village, without having my weapon drawn. While stealing exploring the place a civvie NPC ran into a poison trap and died, and a few of the guards yelled "YOU KILLED SO AND SO", but didn't attack me. It wasn't till a few minutes more of constant "YOU SMELL STRANGE" did they finally decide to kill me off. But they'd been following me and asking me to leave since before I got there, even with my weapon holstered.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ugh. So I decided to finally give the UFO boss a shot, since reset tomorrow. I won, banages and snow gear meant I wasn't at serious risk of dying...

BUT gently caress FIGHTING THE UFO WITHOUT RANGED WEAPONS, DO NOT DO IT. :argh:

The only times I could hit it even when switching to large arc overhand 2-hander melee sword, was about once (if I was quick enough on the draw) when it did the downward slam. I didn't bother dodging that clearly telegraphed attack for the chance to at least stab it once, though even running full tilt in a given direction wouldnt let me dodge the slam unless I dropped down to a lower elevation.

It always floated just out of melee reach. Run up a steep hillside, it will fly just out of reach when you jump off and take a swing, and it will slams mash the hill lower progressively anyways. Jump down into a crevice to try and bait it lower as you climb back out to take a swing? Might get it a few times jumping in and out before it slams down and you need to build a dirt ramp just to get back out.

In the end I resorted to just slowly plinking away with charged up Iron Bow shots and gave up trying to stab the UFO, saving the melee for the soldiers and tanks... Then the UFO spawned the smaller UFOs (also always out of melee reach), I think I killed ONE of them on accident with the bow. Things went from me standing my ground to a running battle on the UFO's last 3 health bars since I couldn't take out the tiny UFO's spamming (1 damage, thanks to Snow Gear) bullets AND spawning soldiers at the same time.

But I beat that fucker, with Iron gear and leather clothes I made myself. It's very doable, but it's just obnoxious that even for a "Placeholder" boss, you are pretty much hosed without ranged attacks.

Tl;DR: UFO Boss is TOTALLY doable with Iron Gear, Snow Suit, and Bandages. But bring an Iron Bow or prepare to kill yourself in frustration.

EDIT: vvv When I tried this once during the fight since it would be faster than climbing back up a mountain, I managed to hit it once before it floated up back out of any possible reach again.
If I were a braver man, I would have taken the risk of instantly fatal fall damage to keep building my way up into the sky to keep stabbing it, knowing that at any second it could smash it all down.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 9, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Build a pillar of dirt, jump onto the pillar and then leap heroically at the UFO, you'll hit it like a champ.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

That's a human, right? Wow, that is a massive contrast compared to the "actually kinda knows what they're doing" of the Hylotl.

As a human I was exploring this weird planet for Floran outcasts(the whole thing was dotted with solitary Floran huts with one Floran in them that were all way too far apart to be a village) and found a hut containing two torches and a statue of a Floran throwing a spear. I examined the statue and the description was just "I want to put this in my ship".

So I did.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Farewell starting planet covered in purple trees and giant :shroom:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Picked this up today, played for a couple hours, loved it, then read that all the characters are getting wiped tomorrow :argh:

Have character wipes happened regularly so far, or is the one tomorrow a sort of exception?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Duct Tape posted:

Picked this up today, played for a couple hours, loved it, then read that all the characters are getting wiped tomorrow :argh:

Have character wipes happened regularly so far, or is the one tomorrow a sort of exception?

This will be the first time, but it's only been out since Wednesday.

If you're worried about save wipes you might consider waiting until the game enters one of the later stages of the beta.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Duct Tape posted:

It's not so much a wipe as the current characters becoming incompatible with the update they're going to launch, which is a complete overhaul of the weapon and armor level system. It's a pretty isolated incident of a core part of the game changing dramatically.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
holy poo poo i need an inventory sort button this is so terrible

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

As long as we're in the first page of the beta, you shouldn't be too attached to stuff because a patch could necessitate a wipe at any time.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Duct Tape posted:

No but we are in phase one, character wipe WILL happen, in phase 2 they guarantee that they will be no such thing.

edit: Here is what they said about the beta and the three phases: http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

I definitely heard from a stream prior to launch that the reason for the character wipes boils down to having not finalized the character file format. It would be nice if it was posted somewhere to reference, as there was a ton of other good info that was said on stream by Tiy, Bartwe and Kyren.

• Locked thread