Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I didn't realize that the beta had been out less than a week. It's nice that it's as polished as it is.

I'm excited for the new armor/weapon system. The new one looks pretty great, based on Tiy's post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sativa dreams posted:

holy poo poo i need an inventory sort button this is so terrible

The icons inside the inventory are so small it's hard to visually identify something at a glance too. My pants don't look like pants.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I wanted to play this piece in Starbound but it wouldn't come out right using a converter, so I did it tediously by hand because I am a giant music nerd and apparently a masochist. It took me around 6 hours to write it all out in abc, get the timing right and figure out all the nuances of abc and Starbound's interpretation of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1CbiuF3g0

It's not perfect, but Starbound can't handle certain abc formatting and tends to interpret chords as arpeggios if you don't use rests at inappropriate moments (who knows), so I had to mess around with it a lot to make it sound decent. I had originally set this entire day aside to play Starbound, but since the wipe is coming I dedicated myself to learning abc for some goddamn reason, what the hell is wrong with me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really hope that they add more planetary variety.
Despite every planet VISUALLY looking different, they all feel the same.

Where's the low gravity planets? Planets with toxic atmospheres that you need special gear for? Lifeless planets? etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Smoremaster posted:

I wanted to play this piece in Starbound but it wouldn't come out right using a converter, so I did it tediously by hand because I am a giant music nerd and apparently a masochist. It took me around 6 hours to write it all out in abc, get the timing right and figure out all the nuances of abc and Starbound's interpretation of it.

It's not perfect, but Starbound can't handle certain abc formatting and tends to interpret chords as arpeggios if you don't use rests at inappropriate moments (who knows), so I had to mess around with it a lot to make it sound decent. I had originally set this entire day aside to play Starbound, but since the wipe is coming I dedicated myself to learning abc for some goddamn reason, what the hell is wrong with me.
This is still one of the best sounding examples of Music crammed into Starbound I've heard. You did a great job :allears:

Really the only thing you probably have to worry about is people demanding you make more music.

EDIT: His purpose is to rock out, silly Glitch guards.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 9, 2013

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.

Smoremaster posted:

That is really great, you should share that! I'd love to hear how it sounds on a keytar.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Goodbye Stabburner, may you confuse people about what you burn with your randomly generated name in the next life.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Smoremaster posted:

This is excellent. Carl Sagan: Space Wizard, guitarist extraordinaire.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Deakul posted:

I really hope that they add more planetary variety.
Despite every planet VISUALLY looking different, they all feel the same.

Where's the low gravity planets? Planets with toxic atmospheres that you need special gear for? Lifeless planets? etc.

There's an option in one of the config files to turn on variable gravity (no I don't know where). It's turned off because it's not properly enough implemented yet, IIRC.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I replaced the ape flu poster.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Double post.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
drat now I'm looking up the ABC format too. For some insane reason that makes me want to do King Crimson's Fracture (well, at least the moto perpetuo part) but that'll probably be too much :effort:.

I'm hoping we get more diverse planets too, though the starting selection is pretty decent, but y'know, early Beta, it's probably in the works.

And since the wipe is coming up, sayonara, Funky Gibbon. May you evade Big Ape's gaze forever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I'm not sure why people are having problems with fuel. I spent like 10 minutes strip-logging a forest or jungle planet one time in tier1 and ended up with 4000-5000+ wood. That, and just grab coal when you see it. It's absurdly common even at low levels, and very speedy to mine. Once you get a halfway-decent pick it takes almost no time at all. If you do both of those things, and then also mining out sand & gravel avalanches, you should never want for fuel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnqs_N6kn0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

:allears:

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

So, at the moment, does platinum occur at all in tier 3? I've been knocking around the magma level of a level 30 planet and have yet to see a single one. I decided this would be easier than trying to run across planet surfaces while trying to not be one-shotted, but now I'm not so sure. I got a plutonium, though, not that it does me any good. And I only need one platinum ore since I'm just going to dupe the hell out of it.
My friends and I spent most of the afternoon on 20-30 planets and didn't see a single block of platinum, I'm convinced it doesn't exist naturally right now. We eventually found some in a chest (on a level loving 12 planet of all places) and duped that to make new armor because gently caress it characters are getting wiped.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

bonermobile posted:

My friends and I spent most of the afternoon on 20-30 planets and didn't see a single block of platinum, I'm convinced it doesn't exist naturally right now. We eventually found some in a chest (on a level loving 12 planet of all places) and duped that to make new armor because gently caress it characters are getting wiped.

Platinum is only available as ore in Sector X. Yeah ore placement is kinda hosed. I believe that's being addressed in the upcoming patch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bleusilences posted:

No but we are in phase one, character wipe WILL happen, in phase 2 they guarantee that they will be no such thing.

Regardless of what they said, it would be foolhardy to ever assume that no character wipe was possible in any stage of a beta.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm sorry that I can't seem to restrain myself from sharing every weird monster I find. I realize there are actually way more interesting things to post screenshots of!

But these guys are such a great example of how the random generations can make appearances so deceiving. I was all :gonk: when I first saw them (the sound they make is something between a hiss and a rattlesnake, which didn't help), but then I find they're perfectly friendly. In fact just about every overtly carnivorous creature on this planet so far has turned out to be pretty chill. It's the cute little birds you have to watch out for.

Also, has anyone run across monsters that are just unusually fast? I had some just zipping back and forth on their ledges non-stop, I'm not sure if this was a behavior I just hadn't seen yet, or a bug. I thought they were attacking me at first because they were scary loving black crocodiles and charging right at me, but nope, friendly.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

bonermobile posted:

Yeah, I'm back in beta space deforesting and hoping for a chest drop. I'm pretty positive that silver is appearing where platinum should be, as people have reported that they look visually similar and there's just no other reasonable explanation for there to be small 2-5 ore deposits of silver inside the lava core of a level 30 planet.

edit: and here on my first planet back in beta I just got 3 plat bars out of a chest :frog:

Time to find out if the tier 3 boss can be summoned in tier 2 space

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I know this is a mock-up, but I want a few stuff from this!

Smoremaster posted:

learning abc for some goddamn reason

That video alone was a good reason.

So, the question is; why isn't the .abc file available to us now? :getin:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Zoe posted:

I'm sorry that I can't seem to restrain myself from sharing every weird monster I find. I realize there are actually way more interesting things to post screenshots of!

But these guys are such a great example of how the random generations can make appearances so deceiving. I was all :gonk: when I first saw them (the sound they make is something between a hiss and a rattlesnake, which didn't help), but then I find they're perfectly friendly. In fact just about every overtly carnivorous creature on this planet so far has turned out to be pretty chill. It's the cute little birds you have to watch out for.

Also, has anyone run across monsters that are just unusually fast? I had some just zipping back and forth on their ledges non-stop, I'm not sure if this was a behavior I just hadn't seen yet, or a bug. I thought they were attacking me at first because they were scary loving black crocodiles and charging right at me, but nope, friendly.

I've noticed that, for the most part, the monsters with six legs, an alligator head and spiky tail are the most chill monsterbros on the various planets. It's the tiny cute anime-looking critters that will gently caress your poo poo up. :iiam:

Heatvision
Jul 24, 2009
I'm loving this game, enjoying the looks and gameplay way more than Terraria (which I also liked quite a bit) and it's not even done. Is there a thread for goonservers or anything? Checked the OP and didn't see one.

Gonna jump on the whole patch coming around train and post my start planet base. Began by carving into the side of a hill and making a farm (tried to incorporate it into the hill rather than totally bulldoze it over, gradually extended the original tower (the left one) up and created a manor of sorts on top of the hill.

I think next patch I'm gonna raid a glitch castle before I really get building, they have such cool stuff.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't know if I want to make a red bird or a blue bird next time. I like blue but everyone makes a blue bird, apparently. I want to be different.....

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Thanks everyone! Since a few people have asked for it, here's the abc file for Asturias.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/180345046/asturias.abc

Hopefully it runs the same on everyone else's computer. I had to do some weird tempo changing and rests in odd places to get around Starbound's glitchy music system. I might improve it a bit tomorrow because there are a few parts that are slightly incorrect where I couldn't figure out how to work around Starbound's unusual interpretation of the music. Enjoy!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The problem with this is that hardly anyone makes .abc files of separated instrument tracks of songs. It's a huge shame.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Reiley posted:

I don't know if I want to make a red bird or a blue bird next time. I like blue but everyone makes a blue bird, apparently. I want to be different.....

Meet them halfway and go purple.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Even if you don't know anything about programming, go ahead and peruse some of the files in the assets folder. The modability of this game is going to be nuts.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

It's been hard for me to wait until the patch to play more of this game.

RIP. Next character I have to make sure I don't try to grab every single cosmetic item I find in dungeons because I can't fit them all in storage.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Drinkfist posted:

Back to the Future? No sir that is not how you warp.

http://youtu.be/AmjyOrupOwY

screenshotter and videotaker protip: F1 removes the UI.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I hope I find the scientist cloths set next time or something equally good because who doesn't like a labcoat flapping while zapping everyone with the brain extractor?

Royal W posted:

I've noticed that, for the most part, the monsters with six legs, an alligator head and spiky tail are the most chill monsterbros on the various planets. It's the tiny cute anime-looking critters that will gently caress your poo poo up. :iiam:
Or even awfully similar to pokemons, someone in the past threads found something resembling a tyranitar and I found a moon full of rip off zangooses (and hostile as well).
This is going to get interesting if the catchable monsters things works like we think it works.

Heatvision posted:

I'm loving this game, enjoying the looks and gameplay way more than Terraria (which I also liked quite a bit) and it's not even done. Is there a thread for goonservers or anything? Checked the OP and didn't see one.

There's a thread on PGS, but no server is really going to last days, at least for what I know.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

That is glorious. The fact that I saw the title and instantly starting singing along is just an added bonus.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Seems like that is 4 people, but Super Dude and that other guy haven't responded. I'm still down for it though.

Well, are there any other takers for getting in on a 4-pack?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Zereth posted:

That's a human, right? Wow, that is a massive contrast compared to the "actually kinda knows what they're doing" of the Hylotl.

The human schtick seems to be slightly sarcastic seen-it-all-and-not-taking-it-very-seriously.

I particularly like the human reaction to examining the USCM logo.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I also remember hearing that it interfered with dungeon platforming. Hopefully they plan to work around that - by high level you should be able to use techs to compensate.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Boy, waiting for a character wiping patch is a great way to build anticipation for a game. I've barely played it, and now while I know all my progress will be rendered moot almost immediately, it's all I want to do.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If there is something to be learned about goons on a server, it is that they will inevitably poo poo up any starting planet they lay eyes upon, making you teleport in to the very depths of hell. Seriously, even using butterfly dash going straight up, it took me 5 minutes to get out of that hole. And it wasn't even a third of the way down, holy gently caress. Some planets can be huge.

Protip: If you want to mine asteroids, pick a planet with a tiny size on the map. They are smaller lengthwise and vertically, so you get to space faster! :science:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That's mostly some Waltzfish guy, who has been doing it since hour one of release and sticks around to make sure it doesn't get fixed and to break it when the server resets.

They put quite a lot of time into it, it's kind of worrisome.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
This instrument stuff is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdeN6a_9vA&t=18s

Hoping we can craft or buy them at some point instead of relying on luck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Roach Warehouse posted:

Boy, waiting for a character wiping patch is a great way to build anticipation for a game. I've barely played it, and now while I know all my progress will be rendered moot almost immediately, it's all I want to do.
You were warned that there would be character wipes, I don't know what you're expecting.

• Locked thread