Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Really hope I get the energy dash upgrade fairly quickly next patch, because it's the one time I ever found a tech and god drat I could not live without it.

Edit:
Also a traveling spacebar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Boy, waiting for a character wiping patch is a great way to build anticipation for a game. I've barely played it, and now while I know all my progress will be rendered moot almost immediately, it's all I want to do.
For me, is forcing myself to play as a different character of a different race.

Reiley posted:

I don't know if I want to make a red bird or a blue bird next time. I like blue but everyone makes a blue bird, apparently. I want to be different.....
Purple.

vvv their racial armours were supposed to have different bonuses but it hasn't been implemented yet

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 9, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

You were warned that there would be character wipes, I don't know what you're expecting.

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm just eager for the new patch to come out so I can restart.
Speaking of which do the different races have any mechanical differences or is it all cosmetic?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Really hope I get the energy dash upgrade fairly quickly next patch, because it's the one time I ever found a tech and god drat I could not live without it.

Edit:
Also a traveling spacebar.

There are even better techs, such as one that lets you reverse gravity and makes it easy to get to asteroids.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm just eager for the new patch to come out so I can restart.
Speaking of which do the different races have any mechanical differences or is it all cosmetic?

races have thier own armor crafting recipes unlocked from the start, but you can get the others via blueprints

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tengames posted:

races have thier own armor crafting recipes unlocked from the start, but you can get the others via blueprints

They also have some different food tolerances, though I'm not sure if that's implemented yet. I.E., only humans can properly handle chiles, only florans can eat oculemons, coralcreep for hylotl, etc.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So yesterday I heard there was going to be a character wipe, so I figured I wouldn't waste too much more time on my Glitch character... so maybe I'd boot up an Apex... and now I've put in more time on that Apex than the day or so I put into the Glitch and they're both getting wiped.

Worst part is, I've now got pangs to... maybe try out one more character before the wipe tomorrow.

Honestly, I kind of wish they hadn't released it to the public until characters were stable at least. For totally selfish reasons, because I don't have the self control to hold back and not just keep playing.

Actually, on a purely sentimental note, it'd be neat if they just wiped all the items and stuff from your character, but left you with the same design you started with. It'd be functionally identical to just starting over with the same settings, but on some level I'd feel kind of nice if I could keep playing with my first character, even if I didn't keep any of the progress.

Drinkfist posted:

Back to the Future? No sir that is not how you warp.

http://youtu.be/AmjyOrupOwY
I'm going to quote this post because I wanted to say, I was just looking through the human character creation and saw a couple of oddly familiar hair styles, and realized that they had the hair for all 11 Doctors in order. Yeah, 11 of the human male hairs are actually an elaborate reference. I mean, I'm sure most of them are references I don't get, but 11 of them are Doctor Who.

That in addition to the Cyberman head for a Glitch have rather impressed me.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I've been playing a lot of the beta, and I think it's worth mentioning all the things that we are going to see in the coming months, because holy CRAP is it a lot of content!

Weapon projectile variation: There is a little bit of this in the beta at TL40 - had someone give me a sniper rifle that had a ricocheting round.

Additional weapon types: The same guy who gave me the sniper rifle also tossed me a rocket launcher. Apparently grenade launchers can drop too, but are uncommon. Plasma pistols are also a high end drop, so there are likely several gun types we have yet to see. Please make a BFG 9000.

Taming monsters: Holy gently caress, coming tomorrow

Additional vehicles: Right now all we have is a human mech. There are plans for at least 1 mech from every race. In addition, there will also be hoverbikes and motherfucking boats.

Spaceship upgrading: People have already started to mod this in.

Director Mode: At one point in a stream or chat somewhere, Tiy talked about his plans of adding a director mode to the game eventually. This would be huge for replay value.

Additional biomes, dungeons: There are some assets labeled "wreck" in the game files. Space hulks? Also Tiy seems to be working with a modder on creating a toxic biome that looks pretty awesome, and the guy wants to add more!

Quest system and main storylines: Discounting item descriptions / investigating and what dialogue is in the game, there is about as much story as there is in Terraria. At release, there will be storylines for every race.

Goddamn pets: If you care about that sort of thing

Logic gates: People have modded these in, but there are logic gates for complex mechanisms in the game. Also there are plans to make traps affect monsters again, so you can build elaborate defenses for a base or even resource producing machines / aids of sorts.

Fossils: You might be able to revive Kabutops, holy poo poo.

Monster growth / evolution: First steps toward this are coming in the next patch.

More consumables: There going to be a hell of a lot more foods and even drinks added to the game. Probably going to have a buff system tied to them - I know some heal you (Oh god cook some burgers in the beta, they own)

More settlements and random encounters: Humans and Hylotl don't have anything in the way of towns in the beta yet. There was a teaser of the Hylotl town posted, and holy crap down it look awesome: http://playstarbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/glow.png

And I'm probably missing a decent amount of poo poo there.

Goddamn this game.

e: Oh yeah, and we're getting the loving ninja rope from Worms.

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 9, 2013

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

So those Johnny Five-looking bastards with the energy shield and the swivel mounted gun in the USMC bunkers sometimes drop plasma weapons. These are the only two I've seen and the guys I've been playing with haven't seen player energy weapons at all so no idea how uncommon these things are. Maybe I just got lucky, like with the grenade launcher in the Glitch castle.

Good night, sweet prince.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I was all set for the character wipe. Then while I was dicking around earlier I found the butterfly boost, which gives you directional infinite speed dash while shooting butterflies out of your rear end and now the wipe is soul crushing. :negative:

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
Joke's on Chucklefish, they can't wipe my character. It was already wiped when my hard drive died last night. :smug:

I beat the system.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The techs shouldn't be too bad to reacquire if you're willing to use the coordinate google docs.

Though I still never found Targetted Blink :argh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eiba posted:

That in addition to the Cyberman head for a Glitch have rather impressed me.
I hope they put back in the single LED eye heads that are on the website designer back into the game. That and actually numbering the choices in game (Human Undy color is a complete surprise at the moment).

I have a soft spot for Sniper Joe's ever since I played my first megaman game, even when they were pink in part 2.

Little kid me was SO MAD this "Break Man" mother fucker stole their idea and now instead there are these Hammer Joe weirdos, and it took several games before Sniper Joe got his shield back :argh:

EDIT: For more 'I am a huge nerd', going to literally roll the dice to decide what race to play after the coming wipe.

As for blue birdmen, I made mine blue because I expected most people to make theirs red :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 9, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I decided on a bird color. I picked black.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The Starbound Beta: Losing Our poo poo Over Losing Our poo poo

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rocketlex posted:

The Starbound Beta: Losing Our poo poo Over Losing Our poo poo

Given the poo poo blocks...quite literally.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Party Alarm posted:

The techs shouldn't be too bad to reacquire if you're willing to use the coordinate google docs.

Though I still never found Targetted Blink :argh:

That's assuming the coordinates still work. If the poo poo they changing with world difficulty and all that is so drastic it requires a wipe, who's to say that it won't also change the random generation?

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

Reiley posted:

I decided on a bird color. I picked black.
Penguin Avians own.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Party Alarm posted:

Logic gates: People have modded these in, but there are logic gates for complex mechanisms in the game. Also there are plans to make traps affect monsters again, so you can build elaborate defenses for a base or even resource producing machines / aids of sorts.

From what I saw their system looks pretty robust; they've got far more than the typical inverter/and/or gates, they've got fancy poo poo in there like D latches and stuff (which honestly is a bit above my head but I guess has something to do with clocks?). Anyway, looks so much easier than manually constructing basic circuits with redstone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's assuming the coordinates still work. If the poo poo they changing with world difficulty and all that is so drastic it requires a wipe, who's to say that it won't also change the random generation?
Just because I want to freestyle wander the stars without, doesn't mean people don't deserve a community resource put together out of their shared interest and desire to help eachother explore space.

But I can't deny there is a small, petty part of me that hopes they at least slightly tweak worldgen every wipe.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
I wish I was able to pace myself until there wouldn't be any more character wipes. Even though I'll miss my character, I'm pretty excited to start fresh with all the new stuff that's being added.

Goodbye, Walter. It's been fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Section Z posted:

Just because I want to freestyle wander the stars without, doesn't mean people don't deserve a community resource put together out of their shared interest and desire to help eachother explore space.

But I can't deny there is a small, petty part of me that hopes they at least slightly tweak worldgen every wipe.

I'm not saying they don't deserve that resource, and I'm also not saying they're doing it intentionally. But they're making changes to the way worlds and monsters are generated by changing the level system, and I think Tiy mentioned a new biome or two? I could be wrong about that second part but I wouldn't be surprised if the level changes alone could be enough to change the generation.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Yeah, I think that while really cool, coordinate sharing is a bit too gamebreaking at the moment, just like checking your full item map on terraria.

Though even without knowing where to find the pirates or other cities, the one thing that would make me explore the underground of planets more would be to completely remove surface chests. At the moment it is too quick and easy to simply zap around max threat planets looting all their chests for good enough weapons. Underground elites would be pretty nice as well. I'm also expecting that the new weapon damage changes will make the sky pirates on max threat planets a lot less effective, and give us a reason to search for non-white rarity guns..

Musluk
May 23, 2011

bonermobile posted:

Penguin Avians own.

Kluex cast down the heinous penguins aeons ago, and yet they plague the landsstars and fools praise them.

I've just read through a few all of the codex books because I know I'll never collect them in-game, and man am I loving excited about the 'main quest' now.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 9, 2013

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Dunno if this'll work next patch (probably, but I hope not - the planets are generally waaaaay too big and empty for my liking. Might have to wait on a mod to fix that though) but I found a tiny TL9 ice planet with the planet boss a few screens to the right of spawn and a massive monster-infested ice mine a few screens to the left. Fun stuff.

X -34157369
Y 49078982

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I think that while really cool, coordinate sharing is a bit too gamebreaking at the moment, just like checking your full item map on terraria.

Ideally what the developers take away from it is that the things we're mapping should be easier to locate on one's own. Star-mapping is game-breaking, but it's also solving a problem that needs to be fixed.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I kinda wish each players universe was random from anyone else's. If a lot of stuff was easier to self find it would be viable. Star coordinates are basically the Diablo 3 Auction House.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I guess since I've never played Minecraft or Terraria before now I'm kind of behind the curve, but I've put about 6-8 hours into the game and haven't gotten far at all, mostly I just wander around looking for ore (and not finding much, glad that's supposedly changing) until I get myself killed. I put down the beacon way before I was ready and got slaughtered earlier today. I'm hoping the wipe gives me a chance to catch up and start over, hopefully if I go online I won't find myself completely lost and behind everyone.

That said I do kind of enjoy it. Mining for ore isn't inherently exciting, but I'm catching up on some TV in the background and it's a good accompaniment. Gonna make a bird guy next time.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 9, 2013

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
After the wipe I'm still going to be rocking a ninja spacefish person, probably bright purple as well. It will be nice when they add in the hyotl villages, it get's mighty lonely being a solo fishperson out in the stars.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Can I just say how cool it is that I can make an effeminate male character? I just think that's the neatest thing.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Line Feed posted:

Can I just say how cool it is that I can make an effeminate male character? I just think that's the neatest thing.

Still only two gender options. :wtc:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cheesetriangles posted:

I kinda wish each players universe was random from anyone else's. If a lot of stuff was easier to self find it would be viable. Star coordinates are basically the Diablo 3 Auction House.

I like the way the universe is the same for everyone. There are enough possible planets that it's incredibly unlikely you'll end up in a world that anybody else has been to on accident, so why not make it possible to go to a world your friend recommended? I find the aspect of sharing cool worlds to be an interesting feature of this game.

And I'm not really sure what you mean by the comparison to the Diablo 3 Auction House.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Same, as neat as it is for people to be able to share world seeds, knowing that you found an amazing world that will only be available to yourself kind of makes it that much more special. Nothing kind of sucks more than thinking you found something unique and finding out that its a well known thing (though with the stupid amount of planets available, that is probably not an issue).

However, from a gameplay standpoint, while having a list of where to get all the best gear is nice and is an option some players might want to take, I think in the end it drastically detracts from the game, especially in a multiplayer setting where everyone is going to be gunning for the same "listed" planets and everyone will have all the best tech right off the bat.

Though in a beta situation, I can see having a standardized seed system in the initial stages of the beta being a good thing because it allows the devs to go take a look at things that are not generating correctly that people are finding. As beta progresses I would like to see unique per player star maps. Or at the very least give the option to be able to change the default "master seed" so that this issue can be overcome for those players who want to have unique starmaps or for server owners who want players to have something fresh and not mapped out of all it's goodies.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 9, 2013

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

I like the way the universe is the same for everyone. There are enough possible planets that it's incredibly unlikely you'll end up in a world that anybody else has been to on accident, so why not make it possible to go to a world your friend recommended? I find the aspect of sharing cool worlds to be an interesting feature of this game.

And I'm not really sure what you mean by the comparison to the Diablo 3 Auction House.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I like that I can find a really nifty planet and tell other people about it. Compare to Terraria or Minecraft, where interesting finds are basically limited to your save alone.

If you've found that using coordinates other people have listed to find all the techs or other items early is ruining your experience, well... it's sort like using a wiki to find all of the secrets in a game. It's always going to be there, but it's your choice to use it. I suppose it wouldn't actually be very difficult to add a randomizing feature, however. Even if the planets and constellations are still named the same, offsetting the random seed a little for every planet you visit would probably result in wildly different planets.

My favorite thing so far was using an NPC spawner on my ship and finding that, even though this is a beta, the NPC remained aboard my ship. Even after I left that server and played single player. When larger ship sizes are a possibility, I'd really like to assemble my own crew.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The multiplayer issue is the real problem with it. You can be doing it all by yourself but if you want to play multiplayer most people will probably be looking things up and have all the most powerful stuff from those certain planets. Figuring out mechanics on your own can be lovely if they are not clearly explained and it is nice to have a wiki for that kind of information.

Having set coordinates where all the most powerful items in the game are every time is really questionable to the health of the game. If you know the best items will be found there every time and you start following guides to get there I just don't see the point of playing like that. Why continue to play a game more than once if everything is the same?

There is great appeal to having a vast universe to explore. Yet doing so in multiplayer will basically be pointless because a lot of other players will most likely end up just going to those certain planets. Multiplayer has always been a big component of this kind of game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

An easy way to deal with the loot planets is to randomize the contents of chests from a different seed. This way you can still share interesting and awesome looking planets but the loot you find there will be different for every person.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

It's not like you can't instead explore new planets for the sake of exploration, only falling back to precharted worlds when you really need certain tech or ore and no world you explore has it and you need it now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

An easy way to deal with the loot planets is to randomize the contents of chests from a different seed. This way you can still share interesting and awesome looking planets but the loot you find there will be different for every person.

This sounds like a pretty reasonable compromise.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

The multiplayer issue is the real problem with it. You can be doing it all by yourself but if you want to play multiplayer most people will probably be looking things up and have all the most powerful stuff from those certain planets. Figuring out mechanics on your own can be lovely if they are not clearly explained and it is nice to have a wiki for that kind of information.

Having set coordinates where all the most powerful items in the game are every time is really questionable to the health of the game. If you know the best items will be found there every time and you start following guides to get there I just don't see the point of playing like that. Why continue to play a game more than once if everything is the same?

There is great appeal to having a vast universe to explore. Yet doing so in multiplayer will basically be pointless because a lot of other players will most likely end up just going to those certain planets. Multiplayer has always been a big component of this kind of game.

Exactly, and when all the really good stuff is picked by a few players who got into the server first, you are going to run into issues with the health of the server's player base. You'll get players who join and check that list of planets, find that the gear is already taken, and then leave the server since it will be easier to play somewhere newer and the players who have taken said items will have blow through a ton of the game's progress by being over-equipped for what time they have invested in the server. This leads to stale gameplay and soon you'll have those players dropping off because they've grown bored with the game, and they end up taking those items with them. With the current starmap system, it is too easy to see a situation where servers get a burst of activity and then server population stagnates and dies, server closes up and then you see a new server started up after a while when people start discussing wanting to play multiplayer again, repeat. This is of course worst case scenario situation, but the single starmap system they got going on poses a great potential danger to gameplay health and server longevity, speaking as someone who has helped moderate a MC server for the past few years and has watched server after server rise and fail because of bad management choices and lack of uniqueness to keep a community alive.

That all said, things like the DM mode I think are excellent and will greatly help increase the viability for long term servers if the server admin and staff are willing to put a little effort into their little communities. Unique events are probably the biggest draw for our MC server and I wish that MC had something as half as robust sounding as what Tiy has talked about.

Demiurge4 posted:

I actually really like this solution. Devs if you are reading this chatter give this a thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think it would be a good idea for them to implement some kind of navigation panel upgrade you can make that allows you to scan planets in the same planet cluster for various features such as villages, dungeons, air ships, etc. You'd still need actually use fuel and travel to these places in order to scan them, but it would save exploration excursions. Maybe make some features slightly more rare in order to compensate for increased discoverability. I don't think it would take planetary exploration completely out of the game as you'd still need to touch down and actually find these features, and if they're hard enough to find out on the star map you aren't going to be instantly getting all of the things you're looking for and will still have to explore other planets for tech chests, ores, minibosses and such.

• Locked thread