Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Since I don't know jack about coding, just know people keep saying how easily moddable this game is. How easy would it be to add an "Extra random" checkbox to multiplayer to skew the world gen?

A randomized treasure chest in a known spot is still a treasure chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

Since I don't know jack about coding, just know people keep saying how easily moddable this game is. How easy would it be to add an "Extra random" checkbox to multiplayer to skew the world gen?

You can just change the seed in the files on the server and you're done, the universe it generates will be totally different.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

Easy. Don't go to that world. There are around 40 quadrillion different coordinate combinations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^^
True, but that doesn't solve the multiplayer issue, which is the bigger issues. It is a personal choice not to look at a list, it becomes an issue when you don't want that kind of gameplay on a server since it is that kind of activity that kills server longevity.

Section Z posted:

Unsure, it depends on how the game draws its initial seed. Allowing players and server owners the ability to enter in their own random "core seed" (without having to manually edit game files) would be a nice feature to see and if it isn't something that isn't added in at launch, I'd like to see it modded. That or chests positions and content are randomly selected every time a world is first explored, keep the terrain and features universal, randomize the loot better.

Still like the first option better since it grantees sever operators to have unique structure spawns as well.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 9, 2013

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I don't know about techs but the best gear will probably come from crafting or quests and not the shops. Remember that they will be balancing stuff for probably a long time still.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Enzer posted:

Unsure, it depends on how the game draws its initial seed. Allowing players and server owners the ability to enter in their own random "core seed" would be a nice feature to see

This is already a feature, as just posted above. You can edit your seed in the config files. Editing config files shouldn't be a thing server admins are sheepish about.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFo3O0gv9M

Had to make this...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is already a feature, as just posted above. You can edit your seed in the config files. Editing config files shouldn't be a thing server admins are sheepish about.

Ah, that is nice to hear then! That was my main issue with the current setup. :)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

You can just change the seed in the files on the server and you're done, the universe it generates will be totally different.

Oh, there's a universe seed, as well? Well that goes a long way towards solving that.

Another suggestion I saw that could help is drastically scaling the fuel requirements, making it much cheaper to visit nearby planets, and much more expensive to visit far away ones. Right now you can kinda just instantly flit around anywhere in the universe, which is one more thing that goes towards making planets feel so samey.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beat me to it. :allears:

Edit: Is there a way to import the stuff from Fat Lute into the game? Is it as simple as copy/paste the song into a txt file and rename it .abc?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This doesn't really matter though unless characters are restricted to a single server/singleplayer. Even if a server uses its own custom seed universe, a player can still duck into single player to use the normal seed and a handy list of tech-coords to get stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Demiurge4 posted:

An easy way to deal with the loot planets is to randomize the contents of chests from a different seed. This way you can still share interesting and awesome looking planets but the loot you find there will be different for every person.

Well, it already is, aside from techs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This doesn't really matter though unless characters are restricted to a single server/singleplayer. Even if a server uses its own custom seed universe, a player can still duck into single player to use the normal seed and a handy list of tech-coords to get stuff.

I imagine server owners will eventually get the ability to restrict characters to only server stored ones.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, duped my way to impervium armor and laughed about still getting one-shotted on level 40 planets. Now I can tell myself that I finished the current content without being too broken up about the impending wipe.

RIP, Steel Wire

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe make an option on character generation for SP/MP or MP Only and severs can choose which player type they accept? That sounds a bit too complicated. :/ Maybe server stored players? That sounds a lot more simple.

From my experience with Terraria MP, nothing is worse than someone joining a fresh server with end game gear, ruins the mood among the other players.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Still only two gender options. :wtc:

If you don't want to have to worry about gender options, play a Floran. From what I've read about them around the internet they're basically the living embodiment of Tumblr incarnated as murderous plant-people.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Enzer posted:

Maybe make an option on character generation for SP/MP or MP Only and severs can choose which player type they accept? That sounds a bit too complicated. :/ Maybe server stored players? That sounds a lot more simple.

From my experience with Terraria MP, nothing is worse than someone joining a fresh server with end game gear, ruins the mood among the other players.

That is already a planned server feature to come later, it's a pretty old one at that because one of the first questions asked was pertaining to terraria and there being no real in-house server control.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cool Blue Reason posted:

How many more gender options should they add?

Maybe make a slider?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

That is already a planned server feature to come later, it's a pretty old one at that because one of the first questions asked was pertaining to terraria and there being no real in-house server control.

Ah, must have missed that. Well, with that my worries with potential issues with servers is gone, thanks for the info!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

reignonyourparade posted:

It'd be kinda nice to set up race descriptions so that characters in the same party in the same space would "respond" to each other. So for example with the bunny tomb if you have a human and an avian the human does their "cute bunny thing" and the avian automatically does their "its a criminal or heretic" bit in response.

The sheer amount of flavor text they've already added is pretty astronomical, to add a whole bunch of inter-player interaction rules like that would be clunky and difficult at best.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe make a slider?

You're still two restricted by the "two choices" model. I'm thinking color wheel.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

XboxPants posted:

You're still two restricted by the "two choices" model. I'm thinking color wheel.

There should be a dialog where you enter your preferred pronouns as well.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe make a slider?

I won't rest until the gender definition cube allows me to pick out something from anywhere within the cube at 1% demarcations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Motherfucker posted:

The sheer amount of flavor text they've already added is pretty astronomical, to add a whole bunch of inter-player interaction rules like that would be clunky and difficult at best.

Would it, though? It just seems like it'd be a "if $RACE is the authority on $INVESTIGATED_ITEM and race other than $RACE inspects it and a $RACE is within a half-screen, automatically act as if $RACE inspected it (the closest member if multiple are present".

Then again, anything sounds easy in arbitrary pseudocode, so what do I know. :shobon:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Would it, though? It just seems like it'd be a "if $RACE is the authority on $INVESTIGATED_ITEM and race other than $RACE inspects it and a $RACE is within a half-screen, automatically act as if $RACE inspected it (the closest member if multiple are present".

Then again, anything sounds easy in arbitrary pseudocode, so what do I know. :shobon:

Yeah in theory, now multiply that over the literal thousands of existing items all of which have variable and unique meanings to each character and you start realizing the actual scope of the project. It's already pretty amazing that the majority of everything has eight separate inspection descriptions.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah in theory, now multiply that over the literal thousands of existing items all of which have variable and unique meanings to each character and you start realizing the actual scope of the project. It's already pretty amazing that the majority of everything has eight separate inspection descriptions.

Oh yeah, I get that it would be fairly time-consuming, just that the hooks for it should be fairly simple to implement. It'd be the "race X is authoritative for items 1-200, race Y is authoritative for items 201-400, etc." that would be the annoying part. I get that.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I thought the Avian pirate guns were kinda boring. Luckily random guns are in.

Found in a chest on a moon. Seems kinda short range.

Dropped by a miniboss somewhere. The big chunky projectiles will travel really slowly for two seconds before becoming regular bullets. I don't really like it.

Has anyone seen anything else different?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Does Starbound save the state of every planet that you visit? Is there an ever-growing folder somewhere of saved planets?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I duped my way up the tech tree in the past 20 minutes just to see what it was like. With the best armor in the game and getting 70% damage from same level monsters is pretty hilarious. Hope the new changes make the balance a bit better.

Also I really hope they make it possible to upgrade your matter manipulator. Even diamond mining picks aren't much better than stone ones. Mining takes way too long. This is especially bad if you need to go horizontal instead of vertical because doing so takes twice as long at least if not longer.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Someone figured out how to do colored text and names without a mod, using syntax ^#HEXCODE; like ^#FF0000; for red. :)

p.s. no bitching about people not inviting you to parties if you use this in your name.

ed: you can also use ^red; etc.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 9, 2013

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Give me sliders or give me death.

Earlier I asked about music syncing stuff, and it seems you can sync up multiple different tracks, and it's just a matter of splitting up the tracks and giving them to different people.

You absolutely shouldn't merge large numbers of tracks into a single track for one person to play though, it can make the game lag pretty horribly(enough for some people to freeze or outright crash), and some full-length tracks can make people crash to desktop when they try to play them if they're on old machines even if they're not overly cluttered like the stuff I've been experimenting with.

I'm pretty disappointed with both the variety of instruments and the way you don't seem to be able to have one instrument continue a note beyond the start of the next note it's trying to play which is a problem for merging tracks(but if they're split up properly and played by other people you avoid that issue completely). I really hope they flesh it out so it's pretty much a fully working synthesizer, or that we at least get some more drum options.

For anyone else interested in playing around with the music stuff, just remember that in order for it to notice new .abc files you need to restart your game, but you can edit the files and then play them without needing to restart the game since it'll reread the file contents whenever you hit "play". So having a placeholder "test.abc" file is useful.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Esposito posted:

Does Starbound save the state of every planet that you visit? Is there an ever-growing folder somewhere of saved planets?

Yes, there is a universe folder in the Starbound files. Planets take up a surprisingly small amount of disk space. 0.25-1.5MB each for me.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Modding is awesome!

I just modified the player's jump height to take me from the surface to the top of the asteroid field in a single leap.

Also adding new items/monsters/environments is pretty simple, so expect a shitload of content mods.

edit: Oh my god there's bouncy-ness variables for the morphball! Time to build a pinball table!

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 9, 2013

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Yes, there is a universe folder in the Starbound files. Planets take up a surprisingly small amount of disk space. 0.25-1.5MB each for me.

it only stores compressed deltas for chunks of the planet that have been modified afaik (it was explained by the devs on irc once)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cheesetriangles posted:

The multiplayer issue is the real problem with it. You can be doing it all by yourself but if you want to play multiplayer most people will probably be looking things up and have all the most powerful stuff from those certain planets. Figuring out mechanics on your own can be lovely if they are not clearly explained and it is nice to have a wiki for that kind of information.

Having set coordinates where all the most powerful items in the game are every time is really questionable to the health of the game. If you know the best items will be found there every time and you start following guides to get there I just don't see the point of playing like that. Why continue to play a game more than once if everything is the same?

I've been running a server since the beta started and my friends and I haven't gone to any listed worlds, have a ton of poo poo (RIP), found all kinds of neat procedurally generated stuff, and this game is a blast.

The tutorials need to be better and it needs to not encourage you to fight the UFO straight off the bat, but it's also a beta so I'm not going to knock them for it. Overall this is the neatest and most full-featured beta I've ever played, I like this game more than Terraria already, and neither me nor anyone I play with has touched preset coordinates yet.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

lohli posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with both the variety of instruments

Surely you're kidding? I found a harmonica, violin, keytar, clarinet, saxaphone, electric lead guitar, and I know there are plenty of others like the microphone, classical guitar, trumpet, pan flute, and probably more. What do you need to be satisfied, a full symphony? Somebody mod this goon a set of wind chimes and some timpani.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

Surely you're kidding? I found a harmonica, violin, keytar, clarinet, saxaphone, electric lead guitar, and I know there are plenty of others like the microphone, classical guitar, trumpet, pan flute, and probably more. What do you need to be satisfied, a full symphony? Somebody mod this goon a set of wind chimes and some timpani.

There's also steel drums. I think I'm going to miss those most of all when the reset happens.

Edit: Also an oboe.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Where are my bagpipes? :argh:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

peepsalot posted:

IIRC the method for saving planets is to save the ways in which the planet's state differs from when it was generated, when you revisit an area it should generate that area from scratch again, with the supposed differences then being applied.

Using Terraria's world files as a point of reference(about 50MB for a large terraria world, 3.5MB for a world I've spent ages dicking around in on Starbound, with a dozen or so at an average of .5MB where I've not done much on them at all), there are tremendous storage savings, and this is one of the things that seems to allow for a single server hosting an entire universe while also getting rid of the "please wait while the world is generated" stuff. It seems to be better than the Minecraft and Terraria approaches in every way, with only the minor pitfall of players being able to move faster than the world can be generated sometimes.

I'd love to see what the universe folder of one of the populated goon servers looks like, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Metrohunter posted:

Where are my bagpipes? :argh:

they exist.

There's even a music box.

• Locked thread