Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Had to kill my whole team throwing matches, but managed to snag #2 :)

Also, ran into this guy a couple times:

He didn't get to make a single match. I'm not sure if that's cool, or a commentary on how broken Rag+cStorm is. Probably the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wonder what the brackets for the DA arena is like. Plus on closer inspection, only the top 2 to top 5 winners will get a blue Spidey cover. That's a hell of a narrow range.

Also looks like an atypical ending time, 8 hours later than usual. Guess they're trying to stagger them out more for players around the world.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Fritzler posted:

I got top 5 too, I'm not sure how. When the round ended I was in first (frantically trying to yield more matches, but I was still in first when it ended. Then someone yielded to me and I got even more points. I'm just glad that I got two dooms rather than 1 Sue Storm.

OK, I am not sure what to do for this tournament. I definitely want to pick up the two blue spideys I need this week though.

I have a Ragnarok at his max level for the covers I have (77) and a max level venom.

At basic levels (6 or 1) I have: Moonstone, Bullseye, Yelena. Level 37 Daken. All of these characters have max covers (except Moonstone, I still need two black for her).

Should I just level up Daken, because I won't be able to put anyone else up serious levels?

My Modern Hawkeye is up to level 50 from starting at level 6 when The Hunt started, you might be able to start out with putting daken in and as you get more ISO swap in someone else - but Daken is a fairly strong choice in terms of dark avengers. I don't like my odds because I only have one rag cover, but some spideys sure would be nice. You can get several 500 ISO rewards from the repeatables in The Hunt too so that helps a lot.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I also got the 2nd place Dr. Dooms. :woop:

This prize structuring in this game is weird. First place gets a crappy IW and 2nd place gets 3 covers of spidey, who is essentially a 5-star character at this point. Just make it so that you have the choice to pick a reward below your tier when the tourney comes to an end. Ive never heard of anyone fighting for silver.

Also, time for me to sit out of this tournament since its going to be dominated by lv114 Ragnaroks and I have nothing remotely close to counter that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone jumped in yet? Are the Dark Avengers boosted or are they just at regular strength?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
All the screwing with the ranking system and now making top prize in tournaments garbage inferior to the #2 prize has pretty much killed my interest in the game. I can't really put my finger on exactly where the problem lies, but I landed in an incredibly slack bracket with six hours to go in the Thor tournament and couldn't muster the enthusiasm to dick around trying to land in the #2 slot. Everything feels like such a hassle in the game now.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Anyone jumped in yet? Are the Dark Avengers boosted or are they just at regular strength?
You can go to the character select scene, and not be entered in a bracket. You can also start a battle and then retreat or lose it, and not be entered in a bracket. But no, I have all of the Dark Avengers, none of them are boosted.

WetSpink posted:

My Modern Hawkeye is up to level 50 from starting at level 6 when The Hunt started, you might be able to start out with putting daken in and as you get more ISO swap in someone else - but Daken is a fairly strong choice in terms of dark avengers. I don't like my odds because I only have one rag cover, but some spideys sure would be nice. You can get several 500 ISO rewards from the repeatables in The Hunt too so that helps a lot.
Hmm, yeah. I guess I will do Venom/Daken/Rag. Are you just Spink in the game? We were in the same bracket for Doom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

All the screwing with the ranking system and now making top prize in tournaments garbage inferior to the #2 prize has pretty much killed my interest in the game. I can't really put my finger on exactly where the problem lies, but I landed in an incredibly slack bracket with six hours to go in the Thor tournament and couldn't muster the enthusiasm to dick around trying to land in the #2 slot. Everything feels like such a hassle in the game now.

Its still the same pattern with all their new character introductions though, they're always top prizes in the tournaments that week. Its just that IW looks pretty lacklusture.

Once levelled up and you get the 12 blue + 12 green to fire off, it looks like she might be decent, since she shatters and gains tile ap? Who knows though, it'll be forever before we see one in the wild.

Xile
Nov 25, 2005

On the Seventh Day he made the Whopper.
Ended up with taking #1. Now my IW is 1/1/2. Guess I'll try for spidey on the next one.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I was actually trying for first because I'm a gotta have em all sperg. Ended up second and got a bunch of Doom covers I didn't need. Yay Hero Points I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmm, for the tourney looks like I have Venom, Moonstone, Daken and Bullseye able to take part and at decent skill levels but not too great character levels. This is going to be rough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yay, I got the Moonstone! She's got some interesting abilities, mainly looks useful as a goon-killer since that's the main place for board abilities. Her purple power... I kinda think it works best at one point. Most goon abilities are purple/green, and while adding more colors gives versatility it also reduces the ability to plan for what gets grabbed. At one point I find it great for grabbing those Pistol tiles and such that you can't reach in time. The black power's expensive but when I grab a Grenade or Flamethrower I'm gonna Cackle madly.

I have no idea how her red ability compares to other possible ones, it's hard to eyeball.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Should I start this tourny or wait for a Slacker bracket? I want to go for it, but it was way easier to get top 15 just starting an hour before the Thor thing ending.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Hmm, yeah. I guess I will do Venom/Daken/Rag. Are you just Spink in the game? We were in the same bracket for Doom.

Yup, when did you start? It'd be interesting to know how long that slacker bracket took to fill up. I started with 90 minutes to go.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I'm facing a similar dilemma, neglected under leveled dark avengers with covers but no ISO because modern Hawkeye is worth his salt after all.

It worries me that all the Spider-Man covers being handed out may likely wind up in the hands of uber Ragnaroks running this show. I joined the thornament with a few hours to go and the matchmaking system was pairing me up with Thor/Spider-Man/Rag about 80% of the time. That seemed weird so I checked their forum and apparently a bunch of people are bitching for a fix to those two having moves that eventually end up costing 2AP. I'm almost at 2500 HP and flip flopping between blowing it on two ranks for my 1/1/0 Spidey or 0/2 Ragnarok, it'd be a real boner killer if they actually nerf those guys after I spend all those points.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
E: snip

E: V I swear that wasn't there last time I checked..

Dizz fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 9, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Literally in the OP. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a cap on boost rewards or something? I've been trying to knock off some low level rewards and doing Osborn's Goons in the Juggernaut map. The three one-star boost rewards are still available, but after six goes at it I've just gotten 20 crystals each time. I know random chance is random, but since that should be replacing the three-star reward it seems odd.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Is there a cap on boost rewards or something? I've been trying to knock off some low level rewards and doing Osborn's Goons in the Juggernaut map. The three one-star boost rewards are still available, but after six goes at it I've just gotten 20 crystals each time. I know random chance is random, but since that should be replacing the three-star reward it seems odd.

I think they changed it so that there's a straight up 50/50 chance of getting a new reward each time you complete a mission (after the first time). From any given 20 crystal reward, there's about a 3% chance of going 6-in-a-row without a good reward. Low, but not unreasonably so...

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I unlocked Captain America Modern. According to the OP he's apparently a replacement tank for Iron Man?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Dizz posted:

I unlocked Captain America Modern. According to the OP he's apparently a replacement tank for Iron Man?

He's mostly utility and less nuking than Iron Man. At max skill levels he can wipe out any special tile or connect loose tiles to get a 4 or 5 match, but that's about it for his damage potential.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stickman posted:

I think they changed it so that there's a straight up 50/50 chance of getting a new reward each time you complete a mission (after the first time). From any given 20 crystal reward, there's about a 3% chance of going 6-in-a-row without a good reward. Low, but not unreasonably so...

Ah, I assumed it was weighted by rarity with the 20 Iso-8 being if it rolled one you already had. That makes more sense and bumps my results up to "bad luck" from "is this bugged."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dizz posted:

He fills mostly the same skill niches, but will level higher and has more HP at the end of it. His red nuke is weaker but his blue stun is significantly cheaper, and they can both return 90% of their cost three turns later while replacing any tile of any kind on the table. His yellow protect skill is much more expensive, but also more effective.

In the current metagame of ALWAYS TAKE THOR he's a really good backup who you can temporarily rent your red to when you don't want to Mjolnir straight away, you can choose to save your yellows for offense with Thor or funnel them into some significant defense, and his refundable stun lets you set up complete single-character lockdowns that require you to make a single blue match every four turns or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cap's yellow protect skill is basically the same type of skill Magneto Now or Grey Widow's Purple skills are, you place 3+ tiles anywhere you want on the board, allowing you to have protect tiles, or set up criticals and matches. I've used it more for matching and crits than just the plain protect, though they do give a whole lot of damage protection per tile.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Is there any way to get into a slacker bracket more easily or is it all luck.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Either start at a weird hour or very late into the tournament. When I joined my Thor bracket I was #60 after 2 wins and the top in the bracket was at 225. Also try to in general avoid getting into a tournament right as it starts since you'll get people who play constantly all day jumping in straight away and not be able to compete with their play time.

e: I wonder sometimes if it'd be worth it to start a lightning round at different times and forfeit your first couple attempts so you get a nice low score for your first win and have very low chance of anybody below you in score to get a count of how many people actually enter the tournament at that time of day (by looking at your ranking) would be interesting stats... to me.

WetSpink fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It is all luck. But generally waiting till the last hours is your best bet.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Shwqa posted:

It is all luck. But generally waiting till the last hours is your best bet.

I've been joining tournaments during the last 2-3 hours. I've placed in the top 3 for the past few. Staying at #1 isn't hard, but aiming for the #2/#3 prize is kinda tricky.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Eddain posted:

I've been joining tournaments during the last 2-3 hours. I've placed in the top 3 for the past few. Staying at #1 isn't hard, but aiming for the #2/#3 prize is kinda tricky.

Eddain - I was hiding right behind you in that Thornament slacker bracket, went to bed at #3 and came back to a stack of Moonstone covers :suicide:

(although bizarrely, those covers might actually be handy in the DA tourney)

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
2* Wolverine. I'm at 5 green covers and 3 each of green/red and just got a red.

Obviously 5x green is a given to get it to just 3x green per use, but what about the other two? I can max out yellow for healing no matter what, or max out red for -2 red ap to trigger. I'm thinking of going for 5 yellow. Anyone disagree?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go for the healing. The more healing you have, the longer he stays in a fight. I've got a 5 yellow Wolverine and he can be back at full strength just beating up mooks in the starter levels.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

retro sexual posted:

2* Wolverine. I'm at 5 green covers and 3 each of green/red and just got a red.

Obviously 5x green is a given to get it to just 3x green per use, but what about the other two? I can max out yellow for healing no matter what, or max out red for -2 red ap to trigger. I'm thinking of going for 5 yellow. Anyone disagree?

Yellow all the way. Red can be nice in a pinch, but you'll almost always have a better Red option on your team anyway via Thor or Hawkeye. Can't go wrong with healing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

So I'm a big dumb newbie baby, and looking to start out with this. Started a couple days ago and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

What quests should I be spending my time on early on? I played some of the featured events and got middling results, and I have no DA characters so this current PVP tournament is going to be a bust. I've unlocked up to the Oscorp quest and am struggling there.

Also, what should I spend my Iso/Gold on? So far I have

2/5/1 L26 IM35,
1/5/0 L21 Black Widow Modern
3/0/1 L11 Storm Modern
1/5/0 L10 Hawkeye Classic
1/1/0 L7 Storm Classic

and unlevelled Hawkeye Modern, Thor NOW, Wolverine Astonishing, and a Moonstone black I just got from the Thunder event.

What/how should I be progressing my characters, and where do I get more covers without spending $$$? I'm not above grinding, if that's what it takes.

I only have 8 roster slots right now, should I ditch any of them?

Finally, how do you take a screenshot on Android? Holding power+volume isn't doing it as far as I can tell. Yes it did, I must have screwed that up somehow

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 9, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Scrap hawkeye classic, always.

Focus on grinding all the PvE chapters with Iron Man, Black Widow and Classic/Modern Storm and search for any quests that give you Thor/Storm covers and go after those. Get Thor as soon as you can, he will make life a *lot* easier. Whenever lightning rounds pop up, make sure to always enter them at the very least to get 50 points and a standard cover since they have a chance (albeit very slim) of giving you 2-stars and above.

Spend all your hero points on cover slots, you want at 20 or more to be comfortable, especially with how many new heroes they're adding.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
DA tournament has been a hilarious treasure trove so far. I have earned a ton of ISO skipping through matches until I found people with 1-2 low level Dark Avengers who were immediately murdered by the decked out Moonstone I won in the last tournament. Now that I'm at the top of the bracket I can't seem to find easy kills no matter how much I skip but it was great while it lasted. RIP solo level 1 Yelenas.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So is starting a bracket late almost guaranteed a slacker bracket or is that pure speculation/superstition at this point.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So is starting a bracket late almost guaranteed a slacker bracket or is that pure speculation/superstition at this point.

In theory, yes, but the more players that do this trick, the less useful it is. So eventually we might get to a point where the super whales join late and you gotta join early to get in with the newbies.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, I got my fourth purple Moonstone cover - do I use it? I have NO idea how she's supposed to be useful, or what build.

And I suppose I might as well take Magneto's blue to level 3, right? I really wish they'd give me a purple for him already -- I'd love to use him.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

WetSpink posted:

Yup, when did you start? It'd be interesting to know how long that slacker bracket took to fill up. I started with 90 minutes to go.
I joined right at that time too.

Phenotype posted:

Okay, I got my fourth purple Moonstone cover - do I use it? I have NO idea how she's supposed to be useful, or what build.

And I suppose I might as well take Magneto's blue to level 3, right? I really wish they'd give me a purple for him already -- I'd love to use him.
Is this classic or Marvel Now Magneto? If classic, I would totally give him 5 blue. If Marvel Now, I am doing 4/5/4, and I think there are other people on the forum who are doing 5/5/3 (with 5 blue).

But there's no reason not to take any power to level three. If you want to make someone max level every ability will need to be at least level three.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Phenotype posted:

Which Magneto? and Yes.